Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hubs? that make that nice "clicking" sound

• 15-03-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

This sounds a bit Euro but anyway... I was wondering

I've been on two club spins recently where I've noticed rear hubs making a really loud clicking sound while free-wheeling - one was yesterday, a white Cinelli with Campagnolo Kamasin rims - and back in January on a pink Planet X.

Is it the hub that makes this sound or the derailleur or the wheel or a combination of all three?

Is there a particular type of hub that is noisier than others or a particular brand?

Before anyone says it - my wife already said I should save my money and stick some cardboard between the spokes..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Freehub+cassette.

SRAM Red cassettes are the noisiest. This is not a good thing. Any slight misalignment means constant audible reminders about your (my) mechanical cluelessness.

I think I prefer silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

bikenut wrote: »
    Is there a particular type of hub that is noisier than others or a particular brand?

Mmmmm..... Titanium freehub pawls.....

clicky clickity clickity click...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

thank god it isnt just mine then.....rear hub on the planet-x tybe b wheel is pretty noisy....not to the point where it is super annoying but I would prefer a quiet hub. Why do some hubs do this then if others can manage to build a quiet hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Basically all expensive wheels make quite a noise. More expensive = more noise. It is to encourage you not to stop pedalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

I'm surprised this is seen as a bad thing - I was watching the Cervelo videos last night and anytime we get a close up of the mechanics spinning the wheels, it's all click click click

No - I'm not going to buy a Cervelo just cos I like the sound of the freehub :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Chris King all the way...fantastic noise when you freewheel. I think it's to let people know that you just dropped $400 on a hub and you're feeling pretty smug about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

Lumen wrote: »
    Freehub+cassette.

SRAM Red cassettes are the noisiest. This is not a good thing. Any slight misalignment means constant audible reminders about your (my) mechanical cluelessness.

I think I prefer silence.

Ag2R apparently sometimes use "the PG1070 cassette, which is preferred in some cases due to its durability and quieter running."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ag2R apparently sometimes use "the PG1070 cassette, which is preferred in some cases due to its durability and quieter running."

Also, Red chainrings are made of cheese and the front mech is too flexy. Basically, Red is weightweenie junk, if you believe the internet. :)

Advertisement