Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Portsmouth Mon 15th March 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The thing is Gerrards defence is there in the same game.

Brown did the same thing to him in the 1st half in the Portsmouth box the contact was not as hard but he still hit him with his forearm in the back of the head.

Ref did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

The thing is Gerrards defence is there in the same game.

Brown did the same thing to him in the 1st half in the Portsmouth box the contact was not as hard but he still hit him with his forearm in the back of the head.

Ref did nothing.
    do both of them then - thats not a defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

FA will take no action against Gerrard -SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

JPA wrote: »
    Just saw that there. Joke of a decision.

can't wait for Fergies rant on this at the press conference on Friday, an absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Jurassic Park :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Fair play to Gerrard he is getting some run of decisions in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Fair play to Gerrard he is getting some run of decisions in his favour.

it wasn't quite as bad as people made out though.

especially as Brown did pretty much the same thing to him earlier.

i will agree to an extent though, slightly fortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Absolute joke that Rio got an extra game for a frivolous appeal and Gerrard doesn't get anything.

And some people claim the FA are biased towards United, some freaking joke. The FA are an absolute disgrace.

it's generally the English they're biased towards.

i don't know how that didn't work for Rio.

:pac:

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's generally the English they're biased towards.

i don't know how that didn't work for Rio.

:pac:

its not - its Gerrard and Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolute joke that Rio got an extra game for a frivolous appeal and Gerrard doesn't get anything.

And some people claim the FA are biased towards United, some freaking joke. The FA are an absolute disgrace.

What shocks me most about this post is that there is a tone of genuine surprise. It's the FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah its absolutely disgusting that theyve let that go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

disgusting is a little melodramatic isn't it?

hardly

the only reason he got away with it is coz hes english vice captain

anyone else on the pitch wouldve gotten a 5 game ban for that. id love to see brown take a civil action against him for assault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Helix wrote: »
    anyone else on the pitch wouldve gotten a 5 game ban for that. id love to see brown take a civil action against him for assault
    Ha, that'd be a pretty hilarious can of worms for Brown to open, whatever he made for this case he'd have to pay back 1000 fold for the many many many times he's committed GBH on the pitch!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hahaha, LOVE IT.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Do you not understand the rules of the game, pompey got a freekick last night for the challenge where as bolton(was it bolton) got no pen after rio,s assaullt

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Babel was a fly in the ointment. His touch let him down too often, and he wasn't able to join in the fun with his fellow attackers. He too often chose to run the ball into blind alleys, and lost possession too easily. Did a good impersonation of Milan Baros.

ridiculously harsh.

You only see what you want to see.

I would say the best link up play was between Aqua, babel and Torres, if you watch babel and aquilani's fantastic like 1 touch move that set up gerrard for what should of been a goal it was fantastic from both.
    Look at Babel's goal again too, it really wasn't easy, the pass back to him was a little awkward, but he left it come across him to remove the first challenge, O'Hara I think and then smartly proded into the bottom corner. He had a really good game, very good in possesion, the only times he lost the ball was when trying to take a man on, and that's what we need actually, we need him to be trying to take players on, losing the ball is part of trying something when attacking. He did his job very well, and again some people want him dropped.

hardly

the only reason he got away with it is coz hes english vice captain

cereal?

• Advertisement

and Gerrard counter-sue for the forearm he got from Brown earlier.

excellent.

this is an FA issue, not an English vice-captain issue.

sure Rio got banned. who is he again?

as Al said in the Liverpool thread, the FA's rules are pretty screwed up. others have been rescued by the same inept system, and will be again.

then if the ref saw the elbow and didnt act on it he shouldnt be allowed to referee again

its simple, either they do gerrard or they do the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

then if the ref saw the elbow and didnt act on it he shouldnt be allowed to referee again

Rules are rules, i said it straight after the match last night that he could not be banned as the ref gave a free kick, you cant go changing the rules, dont be so bitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

in fairness they usually do demote the ref for a while after these kinds of blunders, wouldn't be at all surprised to see it done again, after all he did fuk up.

Also, its really not in any way a case of they do Gerrard or they do the Ref. Regardless of Gerrard the ref should be punished as regardless of any retrospective action, the ref still ****ed up. The FA punishing Gerrard doesn't make the ref any less shit. In fact, one could say that by feeling the need to punish Gerrard, the FA would be actively saying that the ref ****ed up, so in reality, if they punish Gerrard, they HAVE to punish the ref.

Jaysus Merchant of Venice syndrome.

Look I don't agree with the decision they made, but the ref saw the incident but obviously from his angle it looked reasonably innocuous, in further detail it was certainly more, I can't see why you want them to "do" (stupid macho wording by the way) the ref, who wasn't in a position nor should he of been in a position to see it clearly.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Jaysus Merchant of Venice syndrome.

Look I don't agree with the decision they made, but the ref saw the incident but obviously from his angle it looked reasonably innocuous, in further detail it was certainly more, I can't see why you want them to "do" (stupid macho wording by the way) the ref, who wasn't in a position nor should he of been in a position to see it clearly.

if it looked innocuous to the ref then he didnt see the elbow

which means he didnt take any action for it during the game, which means the fa arent bound my their rules on that matter

well then he should have said he didn't see it properly. What he has said is that he did see the elbow and didn't think it was worthy of even a booking. That is simply not good enough from a premiership ref.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    in fairness they usually do demote the ref for a while after these kinds of blunders, wouldn't be at all surprised to see it done again, after all he did fuk up.

Also, its really not in any way a case of they do Gerrard or they do the Ref. Regardless of Gerrard the ref should be punished as regardless of any retrospective action, the ref still ****ed up. Punishing Gerrard doesn't make the ref any less shit.

Why should the ref be expected to be side on which is the only decent angle to view that at?
    Not a reffing error I'm sure if Des is around he'll clear that up, the ref has to be in a position to survey the whole of the goings on, being side on for this collision would not be something he would be expected to do.

or option 3, change the rules.

it's moronic for the FA not to be able to take retrospective action on these incidents, based completely on the referee.

but again, this rule will save one of your team's players at some point too.

• Advertisement

which means he didnt take any action for it during the game, which means the fa arent bound my their rules on that matter

It was a forearm. He most likely saw it from his angle as something along the lines as a raised arm in the way if you were about to collide with something you put your arms up.

Again you are talking nonsense, he saw the challenge he just didn't see quite how bad it was. Still saw it, you know he gave a free kick for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Video evidence and retrospective punishment are so badly needed in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

which means he didnt take any action for it during the game

He gave a free kick to Wigan because it looked like Gerrard tripped him from the refs view of it, therefore he did take action

PaulieC wrote: »
    He gave a free kick to Wigan because it looked like Gerrard tripped him from the refs view of it, therefore he did take action

Yes, so he DID NOT SEE THE ELBOW - so if he said "i gave the free for what looked like a trip", then the FA could act (as the ref did not see the incident of violent conduct). For the FA not to be able to act, he has to have said something like the following: "I saw the elbow and did not feel it warranted a red card - it was the elbow I gave the free for and I dealt with it at the time". That simply is not good enough.

The ref saw the coming together, not the elbow, and gave the free kick. The FA then contacted him today and asked about it. Not wanting to admit to missing something like that, he explained himself away by saying he saw the elbow and felt there was nothing in it.

That, or he is just incompetent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

St Stevie gets away with it. Shock horror!

• Advertisement

I had to have another look there just to make sure Gerrard didnt pull out a gun and shoot brown in the back of the head judging by some of the posts here.

I stand by my opinion that it was a fairly harmless push rather than an elbow and it should have been a free to pool for Brown running into Gerrard.

The ref saw the coming together, not the elbow, and gave the free kick. The FA then contacted him today and asked about it. Not wanting to admit to missing something like that, he explained himself away by saying he saw the elbow and felt there was nothing in it.

That, or he is just incompetent.

You were in the phone call?
    Didn't know a man of such importance is in our midst.

I stand by my opinion that it was a fairly harmless push rather than an elbow and it should have been a free to pool for Brown running into Gerrard.

yeh

thats EXACTLY what happened

2utho1u.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I had to have another look there just to make sure Gerrard didnt pull out a gun and shoot brown in the back of the head judging by some of the posts here.

Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Liverpool and United fans have some of the best goggles I've ever seen. I'd really like to watch a match how they see their players go on.:)

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    You were in the phone call?
    Didn't know a man of such importance is in our midst.

Why are you arguing semantics? It was clear from my post that I was offering two possible scenarios to explain what happened...

the reaction on here to that happening from some on here would probably be along the lines of "sure it was a gun gerrard had just taken from an armed terrorist holding a group of orphans hostage, and he was merely discharging it to nullify its threat while that nasty brown character, a known terrorist sympathiser, attempted to prise the weapon from his grasp"

Why are you arguing semantics? It was clear from my post that I was offering two possible scenarios to explain what happened...

Apologies if I took it up wrong,
    but you seem to missing the "I saw the challenge but from my angle it looked rather like a minor coming together" option while I thought your other options were somewhat unfair.

ROFL

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Every time I see that clip it just looks worse and worse.

Brown really should have been sent off. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

yeh

thats EXACTLY what happened

What Gerrard did was wrong and he should get a ban for it...he isn't going to though so move on.

Look at the video again, what do you think Brown was going to do raising his arm so high towards Gerrard? Browns a tinker and I don't like him and Gerrards not right to stoop to his level but he simply did to Brown what Brown had in mind for him.

I'm not claiming I'm a mind reader before I get a smartass reply, that's my interpretation of the video, we all know what Brown is like and I expected more of Gerrard - that carry on shouldn't be seen on a football pitch

the reaction on here to that happening from one, maybe 2 on here would probably be along the lines of "sure it was a gun gerrard had just taken from an armed terrorist holding a group of orphans hostage, and he was merely discharging it to nullify its threat while that nasty brown character, a known terrorist sympathiser, attempted to prise the weapon from his grasp"

fyp :)

the rest are clearly taking the p*ss out of the decision and/or blaming the FA's rulebook.

Look at the video again, what do you think Brown was going to do raising his arm so high towards Gerrard?

chest high as opposed to back of the head with a forearm smash while running full tilt at someone facing away from you high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What Gerrard did was wrong and he should get a ban for it...he isn't going to though so move on.

Look at the video again, what do you think Brown was going to do raising his arm so high towards Gerrard? Browns a tinker and I don't like him and Gerrards not right to stoop to his level but he simply did to Brown what Brown had in mind for him.

I'm not claiming I'm a mind reader before I get a smartass reply, that's my interpretation of the video, we all know what Brown is like and I expected more of Gerrard - that carry on shouldn't be seen on a football pitch

Not going to give a smartass reponse, but Gerrard doesn't have to stoop too low to be at his level. Not footballing level, but general "antics" lets say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

spockety wrote: »
    Every time I see that clip it just looks worse and worse.

Brown really should have been sent off. :D

I keep thinking Brown may get a proper thump the next time. Shocking stuff!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement