Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Portsmouth Mon 15th March 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ush1 wrote: »
    He won't be because the ref saw it and dealt with it there and then.
    Kirby wrote: »
    Ref was asked him after the game. He said he gave the free for a "coming together" and said he didn't see the elbow.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

can we not just celebrate the fact the michael brown got hit?
    i thought all fans would be thankful for that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i was both delighted and relieved to find out that result this evening.

4-1 can't be anything but good, and a confidence boost.

on Gerrard, from what i hear, it's disgaceful, and epitomises his attitude this season.

oh, and I love Nando.

screw Gerrard. Torres is the key one for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    So who would you prefer in your team then Alan, Lucas or Gerrard ?
    This season, Lucas. No doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I am just celebrating 3 points - a period in the first half when we looked very dangerous constantly and the fact that Aquaman looked the signing that he was supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ref was asked him after the game. He said he gave the free for a "coming together" and said he didn't see the elbow.

Jesus ref! way to ghey it up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm also very happy to see some positive reviews on Aquilani.

Gerrard being banned might not be the worst thing in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

mike65 wrote: »
    editing my quote and putting in the answers, nice!

thanks mkie65

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If the ref saw the 'coming together' - was the elbow not part of the coming together?
    Where else did they come together? Seriously , is he ducking the fact that he saw the elbow and fcuked up in not dealing with it - thus leaving it open for the FA to do his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

maxi was everywhere too, some of the interplay between him, aqua and torres was class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

:rolleyes:

I don't agree with it by the way, just the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PaulieC wrote: »
    My point is Liverpool played very good one touch football tonight - I know it was Portsmouth but I don't think Aquilani needed much time on the ball - he was very quickly passing and moving. Again - just my opinion :)

Exactly. His type of game isn't based on pace. He seems to have the ability to find space and as you say, he doesn't need time on the ball.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

papagormo wrote: »
    not a fan but my two cents:

if i were a fan and looking to summer spending id be thinking:

the pool need 2 centre backs,
    one player making midfielder,
    and one daycent wide man.
    (and a bit of a clear out to make way)

am i far off there?

Skrytel and Agger maybe first choice next year with Carra and Kyriakos as back up. AFAIK, Kelly can play there and Ayala is in the squad.

We have Acqualani, think with time he can become that.

A good left winger, definitely.

The most urgent area is LB. We have Insua and Aurelio.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Good performance tonight, excellent stuff from Aqualini and Maxi and of course Torres.

Saw the game on tv rather than a stream (so I could actually see it) and I dont see why people are calling for a Gerrard red. I saw it as a free to pool with Brown(who is a disgrace of a footballer) ran across him a threw back his arm, you can see brown look back and run into Gerrard in the replay. Gerrard did damn all wrong. Watching it with two others and they are in agreement with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Good performance tonight, excellent stuff from Aqualini and Maxi and of course Torres.

Saw the game on tv rather than a stream (so I could actually see it) and I dont see why people are calling for a Gerrard red. I saw it as a free to pool with Brown(who is a disgrace of a footballer) ran across him a threw back his arm, you can see brown look back and run into Gerrard in the reply. Gerrard did damn all wrong. Watching it with two others and they are in agreement with me.

unfortunatly you are still in the minority among

pool fans here
    non pool fans here
    commentators
    pundits
    media
    blind men sitting in the back

K-9 wrote: »
    Skrytel and Agger maybe first choice next year with Carra and Kyriakos as back up. AFAIK, Kelly can play there and Ayala is in the squad.

We have Acqualani, think with time he can become that.

A good left winger, definitely.

The most urgent area is LB. We have Insua and Aurelio.

Skyrtal is injured until the end of the month isnt he?
    Acqualani, i havent seen a whole lot to be honest so i wouldnt know.
    is Insua just a bit too young/inexpericened to fill LB on a regular basis?
    Hows Reira doing? i seen his first few games, he came on as a sub, wondered how come he hadnt started a few, as he made an impact coming off the bench from the games i seen.

i think a few fresh faces (2-3 new players tops) and a bit of a clearout in the summer would do the world of good at Anfield. i genuinely dont buy into the circus the media are setting up around the Pool. they arent having the best of seasons its true, but it happens sometimes. the united game should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jazzy wrote: »
    can we not just celebrate the fact the michael brown got hit?
    i thought all fans would be thankful for that :(

I don't thonk anyone would ever defend Brown, but if it was the other way around there would be smoke coming from the Liverpool thread right now.

Stevie Gerrard should have gone imho, but it's Steve Gerrard and he is purer than mother Theressa.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I would LOVE it if Aquaman could repeat that performance consistantly with the more game time he gets. He'd start to shut a lot of people up if he did. For some reason, I'm not too worried about Man U. Not because of the game just gone but it never seems to matter what sort of form we're in, it all goes out the window against Man U and we pull something crazy out of the bag. Will be at work for it and surrounded by Man U fans so the day could be truly horrible. Could be good though.:)

kryogen wrote: »

pool fans here
    non pool fans here
    commentators
    pundits
    media

But I'm right and all above are wrong/want a reason to complain about Gerrard ;).

• Advertisement

of course you are, how silly of me, not like you have a reason to defend Gerrard blindly or anything

pool fans here
    non pool fans here
    commentators
    pundits
    media

OoooOoo, not like United fans to blindly defend a player of theres.:pac:

id blindly defend Joey Barton....

(if i were a fan that is, haww haww!)

OoooOoo, not like United fans to blindly defend a player of theres.:pac:

do you even know what you quoted?

im not getting into another roundabout with you tonight pal

suffice to say, when Ferdinand swung the elbow, he was torn apart by united fans

and the majority of pool fans on here have also blasted Gerrard for his actions

some dont blindly defend, some do, and some, like yourself perhaps,pathetically try to turn everything on boards into a united/liverpool debate

as i said last night
    Lyon suck

best of luck

do you even know what you quoted?

im not getting into another roundabout with you tonight pal

suffice to say, when Ferdinand swung the elbow, he was torn apart by united fans

and the majority of pool fans on here have also blasted Gerrard for his actions

some dont blindly defend, some do, and some, like yourself perhaps,pathetically try to turn everything on boards into a united/liverpool debate

as i said last night
    Lyon suck

best of luck

Hahaha!:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    Skyrtal is injured until the end of the month isnt he?
    Acqualani, i havent seen a whole lot to be honest so i wouldnt know.
    is Insua just a bit too young/inexpericened to fill LB on a regular basis?
    Hows Reira doing? i seen his first few games, he came on as a sub, wondered how come he hadnt started a few, as he made an impact coming off the bench from the games i seen.

i think a few fresh faces (2-3 new players tops) and a bit of a clearout in the summer would do the world of good at Anfield. i genuinely dont buy into the circus the media are setting up around the Pool. they arent having the best of seasons its true, but it happens sometimes. the united game should be interesting.

Thought you were chatting about next season?

Skyrtel has been unlucky with injuries, hell, Carra put him out at the start of the season.

Acqualani, the jury is out, but from what I've seen, I'm hopeful. He has a touch of class about him, whether he'll settle in to the Premiership, next season will tell

Agree on Insua though he is young and thrown in at the deep end because of Aurelio's injuries. First signing should be a LFB.

Riera was out injured a lot, same with half the squad. Our left side is weak enough.
    I don't thonk anyone would ever defend Brown, but if it was the other way around there would be smoke coming from the Liverpool thread right now.

Stevie Gerrard should have gone imho, but it's Steve Gerrard and he is purer than mother Theressa.

Fair comment. We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

14kb21u.gif
    2utho1u.gif
    thats assault in my book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

feckin clown. whats he at

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Thai boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

When Rafa doesn't play so defensive, you get results like that.

Any else think he was just messing with people :D 4th doesn't look way off for Liverpool.

However, please play bad again on Sunday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Clear straight red for Gerard. silly boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

To annoy pool fans Kuyt, Carragher,Gerrard,Lucas and Maxi will start. Aqualiai or Babel won't.

Pool to lose 2-0, pompey to score in first half and then 2nd on the break as pool chase the game.

Torres to get sent off, its been coming.

oops got that wrong - mea culpa :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Helix wrote: »
    14kb21u.gif
    2utho1u.gif
    thats assault in my book

That should be him out of the united clash so, or is it only united players that get 4 match bans, Rio's incident was not as bad as this

That should be him out of the united clash so, or is it only united players that get 4 match bans, Rio's incident was not as bad as this

Highly unlikely since the ref classed it as a "coming together" and dealt with it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Highly unlikely since the ref classed it as a "coming together" and dealt with it there and then.

ref said he didn't see the elbow and only saw a coming together, so is leaving an opening for the FA to step in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtksxQSNmYU&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

as i said last night
    Lyon suck

best of luck

Well stop coming on liverpool threads and making sneaky digs, your posting on a liverpool thread, of course there is going to be a bias

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well stop coming on liverpool threads and making sneaky digs, your posting on a liverpool thread, of course there is going to be a bias

Don't mind him, he has arguements with himself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Er, look at the video lads. Michael Brown clearly throws his arm back at Gerrard first. He had no intention of playing the ball, he deliberately and blatantly set out to block Gerrard's run, and no only that he flung his hand/arm up at Gerrards chest/face.

It was self defence, should have been a free to Liverpool and a yellow for Brown.

spockety wrote: »
    Er, look at the video lads. Michael Brown clearly throws his arm back at Gerrard first. He had no intention of playing the ball, he deliberately and blatantly set out to block Gerrard's run, and no only that he flung his hand/arm up at Gerrards chest/face.

It was self defence, should have been a free to Liverpool and a yellow for Brown.

Hmm, I agree it was a professional foul clearly by Brown. But the flinging his arm not so much. What Gerrard did was violent conduct.

Self Defence? Sorta like when he was uppercutting that guy on that chair?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Might aswell start watching pro wrestling if your allowed to elbow someone in the back of the head for blocking a run now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe, but should also have resulted in a red for Gerrard for retaliation. It doesn't matter what Brown did in reality - Gerrard raised his arm and clubbed him, clearly, and that is violent conduct.

Though Gerrard has had success with the self defence card recently enough...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's annoying so many United fans that I really hope he gets away with it, the dirty b.stard. :D

It's annoying so many United fans that I really hope he gets away with it, the dirty b.stard. :D

That is a bonus, but I think Gerrard has a slimey streak so like to see him get a slap of the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does self-defence exist in football?

I tell you, if he gets a 3 match ban, it might actually be good for Liverpool, gives Rafa an excuse to drop him. If Aqua and Torres start to link up and get form, he can justify shifting him to the right.

Hmm, I agree it was a professional foul clearly by Brown. But the flinging his arm not so much. What Gerrard did was violent conduct.

Self Defence? Sorta like when he was uppercutting that guy on that chair?:D

He pushed him out of the way with his elbow no worse in my books, I wouldn't really call it an elbow. I admire the control of players a lot of the time. Id find it very hard not to completely go for brown in a situation like that.
    PHB wrote: »
    Does self-defence exist in football?

I tell you, if he gets a 3 match ban, it might actually be good for Liverpool, gives Rafa an excuse to drop him. If Aqua and Torres start to link up and get form, he can justify shifting him to the right.

I thought Gerrard had a fairly good game overall last night, I cannot understand calls for him to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

He pushed him out of the way with his elbow no worse in my books, I wouldn't really call it an elbow. I admire the control of players a lot of the time. Id find it very hard not to completely go for brown in a situation like that.

I thought Gerrard had a fairly good game overall last night, I cannot understand calls for him to be dropped.

Well I see that stuff going on every Saturday and Sunday mate.:)
    It looks like a strike anyway but I'd have more respect for Gerrard if he reefed him back and gave him a proper dig.
    Hitting someone in the back of the head is fairly cowardly, and in this case it's gamesmanship and pretty much handbags. But to the letter of the law, violent conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Brown deserved it. The look on his face when he was taken off was priceless too. He just looked like he wanted his mammy.

He spent the night kicking out at, pushing, pulling, late tackling, it was about time someone gave him a taste of his own medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Brown deserved it. The look on his face when he was taken off was priceless too. He just looked like he wanted his mammy.

He spent the night kicking out at, pushing, pulling, late tackling, it was about time someone gave him a taste of his own medicine.

yeah, he is a dirty hatefull little player alright. Remember him trying to end giggs' career a few seasons back - and giggs taking him out down the corner flag a couple of minutes later (and getting a yellow for it).

Still reckon Gerrard should get a retrospective ban for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Brown is a sneaky little 'bar steward', has been for years. It gives me immense pleasure to see him get a taste of it back and id be sayin the same if it was any player from any team that got stuck into him.

People who watch enough football know the score with him, just because he isnt at a big club it can sometimes be missed or dismissed but i took a little pleasure in seeing it last night.

If gerrard gets a ban, he gets a ban. The FA will treat him like every other english player imo, a little less harshly perhaps than some other players from other parts of the world.

How often do you see an english player being 'yellowed' for decent in comparison to others?........its a trend i dont like but thats what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I thought it was our best performance in months - probably of the entire season.

The team selection was very surprising, but it worked brilliantly. The interplay between Aquilani, Maxi, Gerrard and Torres was absolutely sublime. Lots of quick, one-touch passing to feet through the eye of a needle. Really impressive stuff.

Babel was a fly in the ointment. His touch let him down too often, and he wasn't able to join in the fun with his fellow attackers. He too often chose to run the ball into blind alleys, and lost possession too easily. Did a good impersonation of Milan Baros.

The defence was solid. Agger was the stand-out man. Played very calmly, and showed something going forward. Johnson was quiet at right back, but was faultless. Didn't think too much of Kelly when he came on. I wouldn't be comfortable with him as first choice back-up next season based on that performance.

Gerrard's elbow was an elbow, and he should get censured for it. And although he was back to near his best last night, I think a spell on the sidelines might do him good.

For Lille, I'd swap Babel out for Benayoun, and keep everything else the same. Benni is capable of that kind of quick thinking, quick footed play we saw last night.

Advertisement