Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB.net, publishing data from program to a website

Options
  • 15-03-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to go about publishing data in a VB.net application to a website, or to even get a website in the first place. This is an area in which I've no experience so I'm not sure where to even begin.

My idea is to have a site where data could be uploaded to every 15 minutes or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

If you're working with VB.NET anyway, ASP.NET is probably your best bet (you can write the web app code in VB.NET), though you could use PHP, Ruby, Java or a dozen other approaches if you want.
    See www.asp.net.

Re getting the data there, lot of approaches to that, depending on circumstances and details. Through a database would be the first option that springs to mind, assuming the data's persistent - your app and web app share a data backend (SQL Server of some sort) where your app stores the updated data, and the website can just display that data whichever way you want.

Re the 15 minutes thing, doesn't matter really - the app can write data to the DB when it suits it, and the web app can read the latest stuff out again whenever someone wants to display a page, that's all there is to it really (within reason - allowing for load and concurrency and all that stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

thanks a million for that, I'll give that a look when I get the part I'm on now finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

recommend silverlight.. free and cool to develop.

Advertisement