Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition. Iain M Banks laziest yet

Options
  • 15-03-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Anyone read this yet. Im a huge Iain M Banks fan, not a fan of Iain Banks tho. But I was glad when I heard this book where he merges his identities.

Its all very good, expertly wrote, good story, but he is just lazy with his idea.

The idea that someone can jump between universes is fine, I enjoy that, but there's loads of questions unanswered.
    One occasion it seems to be you can only share another body from another universe if it is your parallel identity. Then its you can inhabit any body from said universe. Then you can inhabit a new(?) body from your own universe, or you can bring your own body to another universe. Or how you can transport somebody else to another universe, but not yourself, or any possessions. Unless your a hired thug, then you can transport guns between universes no problem.

It would have been a brilliant read if he had of tightened down his idea. Still a very good read tho.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Anyone read this yet. Im a huge Iain M Banks fan, not a fan of Iain Banks tho. But I was glad when I heard this book where he merges his identities.

Its all very good, expertly wrote, good story, but he is just lazy with his idea.

The idea that someone can jump between universes is fine, I enjoy that, but there's loads of questions unanswered.
    One occasion it seems to be you can only share another body from another universe if it is your parallel identity. Then its you can inhabit any body from said universe. Then you can inhabit a new(?) body from your own universe, or you can bring your own body to another universe. Or how you can transport somebody else to another universe, but not yourself, or any possessions. Unless your a hired thug, then you can transport guns between universes no problem.

It would have been a brilliant read if he had of tightened down his idea. Still a very good read tho.

I really like Iain M Banks, but to be honest Transition started well but by
    the end I just wanted it to end, full of plotholes and as you say a lazy idea.

The Culture series are much better books.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sv650

Haven't read Transition yet, but read Surface Detail a few weeks ago and was very disappointed.
    Must read some of his older stuff again.. Use of Weapons in particular...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

Gave up Transition after first 30 pages or so, really didn't grab me and seemed like too much effort, if you know what I mean. And I would be a fan.

Advertisement