Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 11: Cornish Pasties

• 15-03-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Cornish Pasties

These are good for Lunch, or with a salad for dinner. They are quite filling

You can make the pastry yourself, or buy pre-made shop bought pastry. I make my own.

This recipe should be good for three pasties.

Ingredients

Pastry

200g Flour
    110g Butter
    Pinch of Salt
    Ice Cold Water

Filling

½lb Mince
    1 Onion
    1 Medium Potato
    Oxo Cube
    Herbs
    Tomato Purée
    Water
    Salt
    Pepper
    1 Egg

DSCN2711.jpg?t=1268658643

If you want to make more pastry, then just make sure of the ratio of flour to butter, it freezes very well for using later.

Method

Make the pastry first

Pastry is best when all the ingredients are very cold.

Cut the butter into small cubes, and stick in the fridge for fifteen minutes.

DSCN2713.jpg?t=1268658763DSCN2712.jpg?t=1268658815

Sieve the flour into a bowl, add a pinch or two of salt, then rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs (Alternatively, use a food processor, which I do).

DSCN2714.jpg?t=1268658841

Start adding water, a teaspoon at a time, and mix until the pastry forms into a ball. It shouldn't need much water, about 2-4 tsps. This amount of flour/butter will make a ball about one and a half times the size of a tennis ball.

DSCN2715.jpg?t=1268658869

Cover with cling film, and stick it into the fridge while you make the filling.

Filling

Method

Dice the potato into small cubes, about 2cms, same for the Onion

DSCN2716.jpg?t=1268658910DSCN2717.jpg?t=1268658932

Brown the Mince in a pan/saucepan,

DSCN2719.jpg?t=1268658958

when the mince is just about fully browned, crumble the Oxo cube into the mince and mix it up. Once browned, leave the juice in the pan with the mince, and remove from heat

DSCN2720.jpg?t=1268658976

Add the potato and onion to the pan, and put back on a medium heat, then add a pinch of the herbs (whatever herbs you have handy, I'm using Parsley and Thyme), a tbsp of tomato purée, a few dashes of worcester sauce and salt & pepper.

DSCN2721.jpg?t=1268659001

Keep mixing this up until the onions are soft then remove from the heat. This will also part-cook the potatoes.

The filling should be moist, not swimming in juices, but just moist so it looks spreadable. If you need to, add some water, a little bit at a time.

DSCN2722.jpg?t=1268659028

At this point, I should mention that you can pretty much whack whatever you like into the filling, other popular choices are Turnip, Carrot, Leek, Mushroom, Peas, just make sure you keep the volumes consistent so you don't overfill the pastry in the next step. Dice any other root veg the same size as the other veg. As you can see from the pictures, I added Mushrooms to mine too.

The next post is for putting them together and cooking, I had to split it because you can only have 15 pics per post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pre-heat the oven to 180C-200C, Gas Mark 4-6

Beat an egg in a cup or small bowl.

Lightly dust a flat surface with flour and take the ball of pasty out of the fridge.

DSCN2723.jpg?t=1268659066

Roll the pastry fairly thin, and use a side plate, you know one like a restaurant gives you for bread, or you might use at home for a sandwich, to measure the size you need to cut the pastry. Cut three of these.

DSCN2724.jpg?t=1268659103DSCN2725.jpg?t=1268659124

Now, imagine an "equator" running horizantally across the pastry round. Spoon one third of the filling mix onto the pastry, keeping it below the equator. Spread it around, but make sure you leave about half an inch around the edges.

DSCN2726.jpg?t=1268659150

Now brush beaten egg all around the edge of the pastry round, then fold the top half of the pastry over the filling and use a fork, or your fingers, to seal around the edges. Stab the top with a fork a couple of times, and if you have extra pastry knocking around, make some little decorative shapes and stick them on top.

DSCN2727.jpg?t=1268659179

Finally, brush the top of the pasties with the rest of the egg

DSCN2728.jpg?t=1268659203

(as you can see from the picture, the middle one there had a bt of an accident when flattening down the edges, so I patched it with some spare pastry)

Place the pasties on a baking tray, I use greaseproof paper too, in case they leak, and stick in the oven for about a half hour, until they are golden. (mine took about 25mins, but do check them after 20mins)

Now, these are piping hot on the inside, so be careful eating them. They are also good cold, or re-heated.

If you want to store them for eating at a later date, I'd freeze them uncooked.

Enjoy!

DSCN2729.jpg?t=1268659620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ooh nice choice. I've always wanted to make these. Although I always thought they had carrots in them?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ooh nice choice. I've always wanted to make these. Although I always thought they had carrots in them?

As I said in the recipe posts, you can pretty much whack any veg you want into them. I was going to put carrots into mine, but there is a moratorium on carrots in my house at the moment.

I've just had two for lunch, and they are absolutely gorgeous.

It's my mam's recipe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They look fantastic Des, can't wait to make them!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

did you put peas in this time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They look terrific! Great pics and the weighing scales looks good.
    Looking forward to trying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Nice one. Looks delish. I never had home made pasties before and I love the little fookers. I can see this being a semi-regular for me if it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Just found this cooking club - great idea :D

Cornish pasties look brill will definitely be trying them - thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Thank you, Des. I've been meaning to make these for ages and followed your recipe last night. I really like the way you put up loads of photos, too.

I managed to make six smaller ones from your amounts.

They're delish!

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5394

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5393

They look really nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks great! Can't wait to try these. The pics really help too, maybe all cooking club threads should have them going forward?

So, Des, you would make them up to the point of putting them in the oven and then freeze them? Is that not messy / sticky with the raw egg on top?

unkel wrote: »
    So, Des, you would make them up to the point of putting them in the oven and then freeze them? Is that not messy / sticky with the raw egg on top?

I've never actually frozen them myself.

So, yeah, leave the egg off too, and of course, allow the filling to cool before freezing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made these earlier, certainly tasty so I'll be making them again. I think I made a bit of a mess with the egg, didn't use enough or something. I doubled the flour and butter. For herbs I used herbes de provence, some thyme and paprika. I used some Orgran, soy sauce and tomato puree instead of Oxo. Thanks Des. :)

cornish1.jpg

cornish2.jpg

I think I made a bit of a mess with the egg, didn't use enough or something.

It looks to me like you didn't brush egg all over the top of them, just got in patches.

In the "cooked" picture, is the yellow stuff egg or butter?

If it's egg, then you just didn't spread it around enough.

Glad you liked them though. :)

Yeah, that's definitely the problem. I didn't want to run back upstairs to check the computer so I just applied it around the edges, really. That and I accidentally spilt much of into the dish because I wasn't concentrating. :rolleyes:

Ah-ha!

Yeah, you do the egg around the edges on the inside before folding them over to help to seal them, then you apply egg all over the top of it when they are closed over and sealed.

The egg on the outside is only really to give them that golden shiney look, not really for taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made these yesterday and they were really tasty! I would never have considered making them before. Glad I beat you to the post now with my meatballs recipe ;)

I did the pastry by hand, just to avoid washing all the bits and bobs of the food processor and it was a perfect recipe - short as a dwarf in his socks, as they say in Cornwall*

Will try these again soon, ideal for lunch :)

*probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That was a bit of a challenge. Was it my total inexperience with pastry or should I blame my tools? :p

phpUq9KVCAM.jpg

Anyway, I made a balls of the first one and I made too much filling and left the potatoes a bit too big, but the end result was yummy! Great to "hide" a few vegetables. I used potato, onion, carrot, parsnip, leek and mushroom. Can anyone else manage to eat 2 of these for lunch? :D

php5q8F4nAM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Ack, I must sadly report that trying to make these after a 5 hour exam is.. not a good idea. My next attempt shall hopefully be better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Made them the other night (no pics) and will make again today. I used the filling as an excuse to use up veg in my fridge, so I made a mincemeat filling with carrots, cabbage, onions and peas, along with cubed potatoes, with beef stock and worcestershire sauce and some herbs, then used flour to thicken it up.

Made the pasties originally, along with some pies, using puff pastry because it's all I had in the freezer, but will make them again today after making up some shortcrust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Oh Yum :D:D

I'm sending this to my OH in the hopes a gentle nudge will mean Cornish Pasties for dinner!

TY Des for the detail and effort - super choice!

Making these tomorrow! Really looking forward to it. Have to cycle in and out of college to burn off the calories though! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sure how else would ya serve them....

DSC_1830.jpg

They were lovely, I've another 2 in the fridge for lunch/dinner tomorrow too. Cheers Des, certainly be making these again.

Mushy Peas! vomit-smiley-012.gif

I see you did the pinch along the top method, I haven't mastered that yet. :o

Ah Mr M, I was going to serve them with a salad but now I want to serve them with chips and mushy peas! Damn you! I will resist the urge...

I made them this evening. Firstly, good recipe, easy to follow! I'd never had a Cornish Pasty before and honestly I was a bit disappointed. I'm not a huge pastry fan really, and that could be it. It was warm and filling, but I doubt I'd be making them again. Nothing wrong with the recipe at all, it just wasn't my thing. My parents loved them though :).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Faith wrote: »
    I made them this evening. Firstly, good recipe, easy to follow! I'd never had a Cornish Pasty before and honestly I was a bit disappointed. I'm not a huge pastry fan really, and that could be it. It was warm and filling, but I doubt I'd be making them again. Nothing wrong with the recipe at all, it just wasn't my thing. My parents loved them though :).

tbh, i felt the exact same way about the veggie ones des made for me - wont be pushing him to make them again for me. my problem is i loved them as a kid but the veggie version just doesnt cut it :(

and des wouldnt put peas in them - i love peas :-(

Oh, I also had way too much filling for the amount of pastry! I made 3 easily with the pastry, but could have done 6 with the filling. Maybe I wasn't rolling the pastry thin enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sure how else would ya serve them....

DSC_1830.jpg

They were lovely, I've another 2 in the fridge for lunch/dinner tomorrow too. Cheers Des, certainly be making these again.

but... but... but... the ketchup and the peas are touching... DEAR LORD MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!?! ketchup lives in ramakins on the side... true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Delighted to see this recipe; only today I was thinking that I must look for a pasty recipe. I'm planning to do a version tomorrow with leftover roast chicken and white sauce.

Advertisement