Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 11: Cornish Pasties

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kylith wrote: »
    Delighted to see this recipe; only today I was thinking that I must look for a pasty recipe. I'm planning to do a version tomorrow with leftover roast chicken and white sauce.

Will you post the recipe for the filling please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

That's a fine looking dinner Mr. Mag. Good work. How do you make your mushy peas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's a fine looking dinner Mr. Mag. Good work. How do you make your mushy peas?

Removed can from press, open into pot etc.. etc.. :D

I do use the no-soak occasionally but that's about the height of it for me and peas.

Be the hokey, from a tin... I thought you had to soak some kind of dried peas overnight and do something. I'll keep an eye out!

Here's my go at these:
    s4tI2l.jpg

I used the frozen pastry though because my mixer is only a little jug yoke and the business end of it is tiny so would have been a nightmare.

Very tasty they were and not something I'd have thought of making otherwise.

Cheers, Des.

btw having all the photos on the recipe is great - good work fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made these last night, or moreso tried to make these last night. :(

Tried to give myself a headstart by making the pastry on Sunday evening and leaving it in the fridge. Think I made a mess of the pastry. It was just too dry and kept on cracking and breaking up. So I gave up on it and made new pastry that just kept sticking and breaking when trying to move it.

I don't have a food processor so maybe that was part of the problem. I may have overworked the pastry.
    Reading up on it, temperature seems to be the key and most recipes call for a 50/50 lard and butter. Some recipes even suggest mixing together the ingredients with a knife so that they don't get too warm.

Anyway, I ended up bunging all the ingredients into a casserole dish and topping it with thinly sliced potatoes. It was nice but it wasn't the same as a nice pasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

So, I had some leftover Beef Casserole from the other night:

k9ayky.jpg

And I thought 'What if I blend it?'

kb1vdc.jpg

'And pastify it?'

of7rk3.jpg

2il0pye.jpg

Thank you, Des!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Would Banana & Nutella pasties work?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Would Banana & Nutella pasties work?

:)

Not as odd as it sounds. Apparently Pasties had a sweet filling in one end making them a meal and a dessert in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Made these on Thursday. I had all intentions of making my own pastry, but I had some shop stuff in freezer I wanted to use up.

Filling was totally tasty! Loved it - had no worchester sauce but some brown sauce worked well. Disappointed with the pastry but was my own fault - serves me right for being lazy. Will try make my own next time.

pasties.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Just made these myself, didn't take pics because boyfriend was already scoffing his, he loved them, they came out perfect but just not my cup of tea I don't think.

@blueirishangel you just used a different kind of pastry so no need to be disappointed.

Seems like fellas like these, girls don't.

Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Des wrote: »
    Seems like fellas like these, girls don't.

Hmmm.

Loads of Meat and Pastry? Of course men loved them! Meant to say I actually loved the filling, it tasted so good considering there was nothing unusual in it, lovely flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

I saw the coking club thread and couldn't resist making these last night. The filling was delicious. as was the pastry although I found the pastry to be a little dry. Is it normal for the pastry to be dry or have I done something wrong?

My initial thoughts are that the filling was not wet enough? Or that I had the pastry in at too low a temperature and therefore not browning them quickly enough and letting the pastry dry out.?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Forgot to post about these beautiful babies!!! Loved them - will definitely be trying out again, though perhaps with shop bought pastry this time.. as it turns out that pastry is not a strong point with me! Tried my best but it just kept ending up too dry/crumbly and while it was delicious, I think it was too much for a pastie.

Thumbs up though :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Structurally a bit better the second time..

pasties2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Ohhh am not in the cooking club (only saw it today) but these looks delicious!!

Will be making these for dinner tomorrow, cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Made these for Dinner tonight and the wife said they were delish!!!!

113576.jpg

Added some chopped Chorizo which was very interesting :)

Unfortunately the pasty was too heavy, need to work on that. Thanks OP for posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! :(

Went through all the motions but used a Table Spoon for the water rather than a tea spoon, screwed up the pastry! :(

Don't have the time to make the pastry now! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Went through all the motions but used a Table Spoon for the water rather than a tea spoon, screwed up the pastry! :(

Really? That's a shame :(

I used a good bit more than the 2-4 tea spoons of water as in Des's recipe, I'd say I used at least 4-5 table spoons and my pastry was still ok

• Advertisement

The amounts of water in the OP is really only a guideline, the day I made this recipe to post here and take the photos, I used about 4 tsps, but on Wednesday of this week past I made pastry for quiches, and used a bit more water than that. It really depends on the look and feel of the pastry on the day.

also, I find that if using a food processor to mix the pastry, I use much less water than if I'm mixing by hand, for some reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Am I the only one that ever adds suet to pastry when making these ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I tried this out tonight, I think I made my pastry a bit wet though. I used cumin, corridander and ginger with steak pieces. Think I need to practice these !!

jjWw0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I saw this last night as I had completely run out of ideas for dinner and had come here to look for ideas. Didnt have a food processor so bought one, I was so excited at the idea of doing these.

It wasnt a complete disaster, but I wouldnt say it was a complete success. Making the pastry was easy, but I fecked up the following:

1. Didnt roll the pastry out flat enough, so used up too much dough and ended up with a very thick crust.

2. I think the plate I used was too small, as I could not fit very much 'sauce' into the half of the pastry.

3. Potatoes were too big as were the onions

4. Forgot to brush egg over the top.

What I got was pastry that would have been more suited to an applie pie due to its thickness, and a very high pastry to meat ratio. That said, I got a very filling meal for 2, and I know that next time, I will know what to watch out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I've some leftover stew in the freezer so going to give these a go soon. One question - going to be using shop-bought pastry, is shortcrust the right kind for these?

Yeah, it's shortcrust. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Made these last night with a chicken & veg filling and served with homemade chips and coleslaw - they were awesome! Will definitely be giving them a go again, cheers OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I finally made these tonight and they were wonderful, although I confess to buying the pastry. I am not a gifted pasty-maker. :)

2yyo3z4.jpg

I made three large ones, enough for six people. Didn't stop three of us devouring them all. :o

Advertisement