Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combo unit hot and cold water storage

• 15-03-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I have a pre plumbed combination hot and cold water storage tank with a 50/30 split installed in my apartment. Recently I noticed a pool of water under the unit, called a plumber and he discovered a leak in the hot water area - he soldered it but now another leak seems to have appeared on the feed pipe which feeds the water from the cold tank to the hot tank.

I'm just wondering has anyone ever had to get one of these replaced and if so what was the price of installation? I was quoted around 1k by the plumber who came to fix the origianl leak (that cost €140 for 2 visits including the soldering)...I'm pretty green on these matters so I really have no idea how much it should cost...

this is the exact unit I have installed in my apartment

http://www.lycrisbyrne.com/ind-p-plumbed-combination.html

Thanks for your help on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

newark wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a pre plumbed combination hot and cold water storage tank with a 50/30 split installed in my apartment. Recently I noticed a pool of water under the unit, called a plumber and he discovered a leak in the hot water area - he soldered it but now another leak seems to have appeared on the feed pipe which feeds the water from the cold tank to the hot tank.

I'm just wondering has anyone ever had to get one of these replaced and if so what was the price of installation? I was quoted around 1k by the plumber who came to fix the origianl leak (that cost €140 for 2 visits including the soldering)...I'm pretty green on these matters so I really have no idea how much it should cost...

this is the exact unit I have installed in my apartment

http://www.lycrisbyrne.com/ind-p-plumbed-combination.html

Thanks for your help on this.

Replacing cylinder is only a last resort. Combi cylinders don't hold a great deal of pressure so any combi leak can be sealed within reason. Are you sure the plumber fixed the leak in the first place?

Sometimes its very hard to find an actual cylinder leak, water can escape in one area, travel through insulation and come out another area. Spend a bit of time looking over cylinder. From top down, look around mains feed to ballcock, look around overflow outlet, peel away insulation around cold feed to cylinder outlets. Their is a few outlets (top section) that may be capped off, check those peel away insulation if needed. Check all valves attached to cylinder (gate valves notorious for gland weeps).

Hot water storage cylinder, again check any pipe work leading to / from cylinder at connection, check for capped off points, check around immersions.

Water is leaking from somewhere 95% sure its fixable, take time to find the leak before considering replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

1000 eurp is a good price for the replacement of this. A tank costs about 400 euro + vat to the merchant and is sold at about 500-600 to a plumber

So the price is fine... However as said above I also agree it should not need to be replaced.

Advertisement