Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best undergrad economics degree?

• 15-03-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

As it says on the tin...

Im currently doing the Financial maths and economics course in NUIG but not happy with the amount of economics and Im thinking of switching to a different course..

So what course(undergrad) do people think is the best for economics?

And what do ye think is better BA in economics or BComm then doing economics?

Sorry for all the qs but just need a bearing on where I should be looking..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Economics and Maths TSM at TCD is probably the best course going. How much maths are you taking at NUIG? That matters more than taking silly econ101 courses. Can you give a link to the course outlines? I can't find them on the NUIG website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to be an academic economist, I think that Economics & Maths (via the Two-Subject Moderatorship) in Trinity is the best.

Commerce is not very useful to be an economist. HR bullsh*t is useful in the real world, but not if you want to know what drives inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/financial-mathematics-and-economics.html

Theres a course outline on that page.
    It is essentially a mathematical course but I was hoping for more economics and finance.

Im still not fully sure where I want to go when I graduate but my 2 main interests would be an economist(academic or in a place like the central bank) or investment banking(I know most of them would have maths degrees and thats why I picked the course Im in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

nobbo wrote: »
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/financial-mathematics-and-economics.html

Theres a course outline on that page.
    It is essentially a mathematical course but I was hoping for more economics and finance.

Im still not fully sure where I want to go when I graduate but my 2 main interests would be an economist(academic or in a place like the central bank) or investment banking(I know most of them would have maths degrees and thats why I picked the course Im in).
    Finance is mathematics now, and most advanced economics is done through maths, so don't view the subjects as completely disjointed. The course outline looks good. Topology is a big feature in microeconomics, and measure theory -> stochastic processes (Ito and Malliavin calculus) are a must for finance; ditto with time-series econometrics. I'm not sure how useful this stuff will be to get an IB associate position, it seems more focused on trading and quant positions with a view to taking an MFE course in the U.K.

You could take an economics masters at TCD or UCD if you come to the end of your undergrad and finance really isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

A major in History, Politics, Psychology, Sociology and a minor in Mathematics with a significant statistics component. Economics is not a hard science and never will be. If you cannot handle the soft sciences go straight for a Doctorate in Mathematics or Physics and you can become a number cruncher for numerous well endowed organizations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

To be honest I reckon the course you are doing now will probably stand you in better stead for landing one of those jobs than a straight economics course.

Make sure you get involved in clubs and societies in your college (to a decent level, try to get some leadership experience) and try to land a decent internship after your 2nd year. This will MASSIVELY increase your chances of landing one of the jobs you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I don't think I will ever understand how being the Chairperson of the Trampoline Club is any indication that you will make a good leader. If HR staff are fooled by that kind of malarkey, then it's no wonder the financial system fell apart.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

I don't think I will ever understand how being the Chairperson of the Trampoline Club is any indication that you will make a good leader. If HR staff are fooled by that kind of malarkey, then it's no wonder the financial system fell apart.

:)

I know, it's a load of bollox, but it does matter. Now that everybody has a degree you need to go the extra mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Daithio2 wrote: »
    I know, it's a load of bollox, but it does matter. Now that everybody has a degree you need to go the extra mile.

True.

Advertisement