Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

counselling

Options
  • 15-03-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I might source a good psychotherapist, particularly someone who can deal with gay issues and may perhaps be gay themselves???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

have you tried contacting the GMHS www.gaymenshealthservice.ie - They are in Dublin and have a counsellor available or contacts for some

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

You can search the IACP site for people who state that they deal with sexuality. Although saying that deal with it does not garauntee they are LGBT themselves or have experience with LGBT clients.

Are you based in Dublin? Aria Therapy on Capel Street are good for these kind of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Out of a professional interest, do people think the would get a better quality of therapy if the therapist is gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Odysseus wrote: »
    Out of a professional interest, do people think the would get a better quality of therapy if the therapist is gay?
    If it was "general" psychotherapy, then no. But as the OP mentions "gay issues", then I would say that yes a gay psychotherapist would have insight that a heterosexual one would not.

EDIT: Just reread your post. I seem to have picked it up wrong. I don't think, in any circumstance, that first-hand experience on the psychotherapist's part makes them inherently better at their job. Just that they'd be able to identify better with a patient's struggles. They could be gay and be a terrible psych.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Shrug, I've yet to meet a councillor or psychotherapist who I didn't think was more insane then myself. In theory the sexuality of the psychotherapist shouldn't matter once they have the required experience. Being homosexual themselves is a double edged sword. It make makes it easier for you to talk to them and for them to understand your situation, but at the same time, it might mean they're too close to the subject matter.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for the responses. I was interested as it comes up in other areas as well. I work with a lot of different people and there is no way I could experience everything that I may treat.

Boston your right about the sanity thing;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Psycho-sexual therapy, with the H.S.E. covers lgbt issues.....check out hse services in your area.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The GMHS Personal Development Courses are run by counsellors who are gay and I think this is an advantage to the courses

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    The GMHS Personal Development Courses are run by counsellors who are gay and I think this is an advantage to the courses

Do you mind me asking why you think it gave an advantage? I know GMHS helps a lot of people, I did some training with a good few years ago and thb didn't think a lot of it; and of course personal development courses are a tad different to therapy.

I don't want to derail the OPs thread, but I encounter this view a lot and can't agree with it. So I'm interested in the opinion of people who may seek out therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Odysseus wrote: »

I don't want to derail the OPs thread, but I encounter this view a lot and can't agree with it. So I'm interested in the opinion of people who may seek out therapy.
    In response to the OP I sought out councelling a few years ago and because of my own 'gay issues' I felt that I would be more comfortable about 'coming out' to or talking with someone who I knew as being gay but in the end it didnt matter.
    I dont actually know if my councellor was gay or hetro, it didnt matter when I was talking with her about loads of personal stuff.
    Councellors are there to help not judge.
    Good luck OP with finding someone that you feel comfortable with to speak to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement