Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what breed is your mongrel

Options
  • 15-03-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

well, i have a 5 year old lab/boxer (we think) and a 5 year old GSD (we think) and two pups from the GSD whom we thought maybe Newfies, but not so sure as some people said recently they looked like flat-coated retrievers (who i believe decended from Newfies) so i just sent of for DNA testing kits (£60 each) for two, the lab/boxer and one pup (from that we should have a good idea of mom and the other pup obviously) am i mad or has anyone else here had there "mongrel" dna tested? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'd be skeptical if these things work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I enquired about the DNA test thing before, but was told it was only suitable for North American dogs.... :confused:

Where did you get yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

not sure if i can mention the site - mods? i found them through a pet supermarket website

they cover the following breeds from what i can gather -
    Afghan Hound, Airedale Terrier, Akita, American Eskimo Dog, Australian Sheep Dog, Basenji, Basset Hound, Beagle, Belgian Tervuren, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bichon Frise, Border Collie, Borzoi, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Brittany Spaniel, Bull Terrier, Bulldog, Chihuahua, Chinese Shar-Pei, Chow Chow, Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, Dalmatian, Doberman Pinscher, English Setter, English Springer Spaniel, German Shepherd Dog, German Shorthaired Pointer, Golden Retriever, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Greyhound, Irish Setter, Italian Greyhound, Keeshond, Labrador Retriever, Lhasa Apso, Maltese, Mastiff, Miniature Pinscher, Newfoundland, Norwegian Elkhound, Papillon, Parson Russell Terrier, Pekingese, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Pomeranian, Poodle, Pug, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Saluki, Schnauzer.

do you take a sample and then post it back?

from what i gather it's a swab (from the mouth i assume) and then post it back to them, 21 days later they tell you your dog is decended from kings ;o)

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I found the site. To be honest I'd be surprised how accurate it can be. Sure let us know anyway.

Yeah I think I found the site. To be honest I'd be surprised how accurate it can be. Sure let us know anyway.

well i'll be sending two back - so we'll see if they can work it out - should be pretty good though, i mean people are locked away on the basis of DNA

FYI I was looking into a human DNA testing as well - see where i come from back in the distant past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

PaulB91 wrote: »
    (£60 each)
    seems wayyyy to cheap

you think i should send them more money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm not entirely firm on the exact figures, but I remember reading somewhere that there is a bout a 1% genetic difference between wolf and dogs, all dogs that is.

So, if this test isn't going to tell you that you have a wolf, it is going to discard 99% of the supplied genetic material and sift through the remaining 1% to divine it into 60-odd breeds.
    In other words, one sixtieth of 1% of the supplied material is going to tell you who's the daddy (and mammy) of your dogs?

And all that for 60 Euro?
    Yeah right ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I read a review of those tests in a dog magazine. If I recall correctly, they tested a dog whose parentage they knew, and the results were way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's really interesting, I love trying to guess what cross breeds are :D

I wouldn't bother spending the money though. I would be kinda interested to find out what my cat is, we found him in a carpark but he looks just like a persian but with a prettier face :) I'd bet he's half persian, but maybe just a mongrel long haired cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

Magenta wrote: »
    I read a review of those tests in a dog magazine. If I recall correctly, they tested a dog whose parentage they knew, and the results were way off.
    yeah read this article as well. If i was you i would save your money. Is there any reason you need to know the breed, maybe health reasons. If not i would be inclined to just enjoy your guys. Why line the pockets of something which i can tell is just guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had a hansom mutt as kids, kind of shaggy, medium size, beige colour with kind of a mane of hair round the neck. We always thought he had a bit of retriever in him, but joking one day in the pub, my grandad(dog at his feet) said he was an austrian pigeon hound:D
    Word got around and people used to stop to see the dog, one guy even swore his uncle had one too.:rolleyes:
    Anyone else got made up names for their mutts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I have always been fond of the Connemara Hound myself. A cross between a Sheepdog(of any kind) and a retrieving breed. That way you can go shooting on the hills and bring in the sheep at the same time:D.It is most often seen with lovely Long black coat but with white spot on chest or foot

yeah read this article as well. If i was you i would save your money. Is there any reason you need to know the breed, maybe health reasons. If not i would be inclined to just enjoy your guys. Why line the pockets of something which i can tell is just guess work.

out of interest and in regards later health issues, for instance, if we find they are Flat Coated Retrievers they could suffer from cancer and die before they are 10 - in that case i would like to know so i can keep an eye out for any signs
    Get a better understanding of your dog’s behaviour, potential health risks and personality.

peasant wrote: »
    I'm not entirely firm on the exact figures, but I remember reading somewhere that there is a bout a 1% genetic difference between wolf and dogs, all dogs that is.

So, if this test isn't going to tell you that you have a wolf, it is going to discard 99% of the supplied genetic material and sift through the remaining 1% to divine it into 60-odd breeds.
    In other words, one sixtieth of 1% of the supplied material is going to tell you who's the daddy (and mammy) of your dogs?

not sure your views on DNA but from what i have sourced the markers for breeds have been identified, therefore they simply look for those markers in the sample i send

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_dna_breed_identification#Genetics
    Dog breeds can now be analyzed through genetics. Genetic markers (microsatellite markers and single-nucleotide polymorphisms) have been analyzed and a representative sample of 85 breeds were placed into four clusters, each cluster having shared ancestors. Cluster 1 is thought to be the oldest, including African and Asian dogs. Cluster 2 is mastiff type dogs; cluster 3 is herding dogs, and cluster 4 modern hunting type dogs (mostly developed in Europe in the 1800s.)[24]

Note: Relationships uncovered through genetics may not match "official" breed histories. The following breed lists are based on genetic research, not traditional beliefs about dog breeds.

Cluster 1 (Thought to be older lineages):[24] Afghan Hound, Akita Inu,[25] Alaskan Malamute, Basenji, Chow Chow, Irish Wolfhound, Lhasa Apso, Pekingese, Saluki, Samoyed, Shar Pei, Shiba Inu, Shih Tzu, Siberian Husky, Tibetan Terrier.

Cluster 2 (Mastiff-type):[24] Bernese Mountain Dog, Boxer, Bulldog, Bullmastiff, French Bulldog, German Shepherd Dog,Cierny Sery, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Labrador Retriever, Mastiff, Miniature Bull Terrier, Newfoundland, Pomeranian, Presa Canario, Rottweiler.

Cluster 3 (Herding):[24] Belgian Sheepdog, Belgian Tervuren, Borzoi, Collie, Greyhound, Pug, St. Bernard, Shetland Sheepdog.

Cluster 4 (Modern/hunting dogs):[24] Airedale Terrier, American Cocker Spaniel, American Hairless Terrier, American Water Spaniel, Australian Shepherd, Australian Terrier, Basset Hound, Beagle, Bedlington Terrier, Bichon Frise, Bloodhound, Border Collie, Cairn Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Chihuahua, Clumber Spaniel, Dachshund, Doberman Pinscher, English Cocker Spaniel, Flat Coated Retriever, German Shorthaired Pointer, Giant Schnauzer, Golden Retriever, Great Dane, Ibizan Hound, Irish Setter, Irish Terrier, Italian Greyhound, Keeshond, Kerry Blue Terrier, Komondor, Kuvasz, Manchester Terrier, Miniature Schnauzer, Norwegian Elkhound, Old English Sheepdog, Pharaoh Hound, Pointer, Portuguese Water Dog, Pit Bull Terrier, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Schipperke, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Standard Poodle, Standard Schnauzer, Welsh Springer Spaniel, West Highland White Terrier, Whippet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

mymo wrote: »
    We had a hansom mutt as kids, kind of shaggy, medium size, beige colour with kind of a mane of hair round the neck. We always thought he had a bit of retriever in him, but joking one day in the pub, my grandad(dog at his feet) said he was an austrian pigeon hound:D
    Word got around and people used to stop to see the dog, one guy even swore his uncle had one too.:rolleyes:
    Anyone else got made up names for their mutts?

an Austrian Pigeon Hound :D Brilliant.

I met a woman who told me her dog was a "bitza". I think she believed it was a breed. She didn't seem to be joking.

My own dog is a staffador. ;)

i think i have a Boxador, German Shepherd and two NewSheps, but that could change to a Staffador, German Shepherd and two FlatSheps - we'll have to wait and see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

We had a collie mix when we were kids. When I was about 5 I taught my younger sister (3) to tell people when asked that our dog was "a rare breed of wire haired boarder collie".

Trying to find a pic of her but none on this laptop!

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »

hmm seems dog dna testing come a long way in last few days
    However, scientists used DNA profiling to prove that samples collected during the investigation were a billion times more likely to come from two specific dogs than any other animals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8559319.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

PaulB91 wrote: »
    hmm seems dog dna testing come a long way in last few days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8559319.stm

Is that article not suggesting that they can trace the blood/saliva/hair back to an individual known dog, rather than a particular breed of dog?
    ie, they know what dog to take samples from to prove that the dog in question inflicted the damage (in this case the dog belonging to the person who was ultimately found guilty of the murder).

1% genetic difference between wolf and dogs,

The 'genetic distance' between Chimpanzees and Humans is only believed to be around 2%. Apparently the genetic distance between humans and Bananas using the same metrics is 40% but that's neither here nor there.
    However, scientists used DNA profiling to prove that samples collected during the investigation were a billion times more likely to come from two specific dogs than any other animals

The critical thing in that investigation is that they DNA profiled individuals and proved that the DNA was MUCH more likely to belong to either of those two rather than another individual. This was nothing to do with species or breeds or anything like that.

General ignorance on this subject is quite high.

http://www.squidoo.com/dog_dna_testing
    Just like humans, dogs have genes and the genetic composition of the dog is important to some of their owners. Usually a dog DNA test starts at $40 which is conducted by the American Kennel Club themselves. The kennel club keeps a record of over 100,000 dogs and also certifies dogs every year as pure breeds.

OK if the American Kennel club can do it for $40 why do people think it's so far fetched - is it because it's new and un heared of here therefore must be wrong?

http://www.akc.org/dna/
    The AKC has built the world's largest database of canine DNA profiles for parentage verification and genetic identity purposes.
    AKC Parentage Profile

For AKC registered dogs born on/after January 1, 2000, dog owners may purchase a handsome profile displaying the registration information and genotypes for the dog and its AKC registered sire and dam. All three dogs must be AKC DNA Profiled to purchase this profile.
    Example Dog DNA Results

Your dog's DNA results come to you in the form of a Certificate of DNA Breed Analysis as shown here. As you can see, these results are reported in one, two or three categories.
    • Primary
    • Secondary
    • 'In the Mix'
    It is important to remember that most mystery mutts will not have breeds listed in every category. As a matter of fact most mixed breeds will have nothing reported in the "Primary" category unless one of its parents is a purebred.

Certificate of DNA Breed Analysis Interpretation
    Results are based on more than 100 identifiable breeds and are presented in three possible categories: Primary, Secondary and In the Mix”. Every dog's DNA composition is unique and breeds may not appear in all of the describe categories.

Primary – This category is intended to help owners recognise when their pet's DNA contains a majority of a specific breed. If your dog has a strong match to one of our over 100 breeds, then it is categorised as primary. Most mixed breed dogs will not usually have a breed in this category unless they have a pure-bred parent.

Secondary – This category reports breeds that might be easily recognisable within your dog. While these breeds may or may not have a strong influence on your pet, each breed listed makes up less than the majority of your dog's DNA.

In the Mix – This final category identifies breeds that have the least amount of influence on your pet's composition. They still appear, at low and measurable amounts, in your pet's DNA. If your pet's results only identify breeds in this category, it is possible your pet is composed of so many breeds only small influences from each breed can be detected.

83fa81f6e0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ozzie is (we think) and JRT & Yorkie. has the JR face but with Yorkie colours.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Ozzie is (we think) and JRT & Yorkie. has the JR face but with Yorkie colours.

a Jackie then ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A Jackie sounds like a happy friendly litte dog
    A york-russel sounds classier though. :cool:
    A jackshire sounds like a cheeky chappy

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

i guess there's only one way we'll know if the kit works or not!!! Be sure to report back when you get the results, and if the results tell you that your dogs a banana we'll know it doesnt work ;)

well we are pretty sure what the promanent breed is in both the ones i'm testing, and if they come back telling me they are dachshund x poodle i'll be getting my money back :D was paid through paypal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We've a Fox Hound/Lab cross. A Lab-hound? A Fox-rador? Fox-lab-ound?!

Advertisement