Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what breed is your mongrel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

olaola wrote: »
    We've a Fox Hound/Lab cross. A Lab-hound? A Fox-rador? Fox-lab-ound?!

how about a "Foxador"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

What's the point anyway?

As a previous poster said, certain breeds are more prone to certain diseases than others due to the inbreeding but I still think any vet should be able to diagnose disease/condition without the breed giving the big hint.

Furthermore, if your mongrel is a genuine mongrel and not a cross between 2 pure breeds than I dont think it would be of any relevance.

I mean doing it out of curiosity/interest fair enough but it seems like a (expensive) waste of time to me.

What's the point anyway?

i did it out of interest as people are always asking what breed my dogs are, and then make their own mind up, so if it turns out i can see it's a Zebra cross with a Bear :D
    As a previous poster said, certain breeds are more prone to certain diseases than others due to the inbreeding but I still think any vet should be able to diagnose disease/condition without the breed giving the big hint.

ah yes, but if my pups have "Flat Coated Retrieve" in them there is a higher chance of cancer, and dying young if it's not spotted, so if i know they are i can keep an eye out for the symptons or signs, as the saying goes, for warned s for armed
    Furthermore, if your mongrel is a genuine mongrel and not a cross between 2 pure breeds than I dont think it would be of any relevance.

just because a dog is a mongrel does not mean it can't have genetic diseases passed down through the genes
    I mean doing it out of curiosity/interest fair enough but it seems like a (expensive) waste of time to me.

i'm sorry if you feel i wasted your time, and i will of course refund any money you sent to me for this - oh wait - it's my own money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

A Jackie sounds like a happy friendly litte dog
    A york-russel sounds classier though. :cool:
    A jackshire sounds like a cheeky chappy
    It could be a Yorkussell....I think thats what I have. He is the tinest little puppy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Mam and Dad have a King Charles x JRT, he's the weirdest looking little dog, he literally looks like someone stuck a black and tan King Charles head on a Jack Russell's body, plus he has one ear that sticks up and the other flops down.
    So I guess he could be a King Russell or a Jack Charles??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

lrushe wrote: »
    My Mam and Dad have a King Charles x JRT, he's the weirdest looking little dog, he literally looks like someone stuck a black and tan King Charles head on a Jack Russell's body, plus he has one ear that sticks up and the other flops down.
    So I guess he could be a King Russell or a Jack Charles??? :D

ah he sounds gorgeous! any picks of him? Class names too, go with King Russell, more regal!!

ah he sounds gorgeous! any picks of him? Class names too, go with King Russell, more regal!!

I had one somewhere, can't put my hand on it now. His name is Jack so I guess his name could be 'Jack Charles' and his breed a 'King Russell', makes him sound v.noble :D
    He spent the first 9 months of his life locked in a tiny back garden with no one paying him any attention, now he wakes up to breakfast with my parents and then does a boarder check of their land, talk about going from rags to riches :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

lrushe wrote: »
    I had one somewhere, can't put my hand on it now. His name is Jack so I guess his name could be 'Jack Charles' and his breed a 'King Russell', makes him sound v.noble :D
    He spent the first 9 months of his life locked in a tiny back garden with no one paying him any attention, now he wakes up to breakfast with my parents and then does a boarder check of their land, talk about going from rags to riches :pac:

Ah, sounds like a movie!! "The Adventures of Jack Charles...King of Russellland"

If you do find the pic, please post, we need it for the cover of the DVD box!

Ah, sounds like a movie!! "The Adventures of Jack Charles...King of Russellland"

If you do find the pic, please post, we need it for the cover of the DVD box!

Brilliant!!! His 'love interest' could be their other dog, a JRT called Jill. Jack and Jill, seriously you couldn't make it up :D

well they have recieved the first swab - mentioned a few sceptics out there and they said
    There are quite a few people out there who are sceptical about the testing as they don’t really understand that there has been a lot of scientific research gone into producing these tests a good link to give them is www.biopetvetlab.com This is our parent company where all the research and testing is done, it has a lot of scientific info on there about how the test was founded and the other research into Canine genetics that BioPet are doing at the moment.

• Advertisement

We have got the results back on the DNA Tyson (picture attaced) is a Boxador
    Level 1: Boxer
    Level 3: Labrador Retriever

and Bully is German Springerese (i'll come back with a picture of him)
    Level 2: German Shepherd Dog
    Level 3: English Springer Spaniel
    Level 5: Pekingese :eek:

In processing, breeds are detected as ranges rather than absolute values. These are then listed on your certificate as Levels which are defined as follows:
    Level 1: over 75% of the DNA found in your dog is from the breed listed
    Level 2: each breed listed represents between 37–74% of your dog’s DNA
    Level 3: each breed listed represents between 20– 36% of your dog’s DNA
    Level 4: each breed listed represents between 10–19% of your dog’s DNA
    Level 5: each breed listed represents less than 10% of your dog’s DNA

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Do you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thats interesting alright.
    Just wondering did you give any info with the blood test or was it just the blood sample itself?

ye - we always thought Tyson was a Lab/boxer and Bully's mom is pretty much German Shep, rescue dog though so can never be 100% the missing piece was bully's dad, originally we thought Newfie (even people with Newfie's thought they where pure bred) then as they grew (and not that big) i thought maybe Flat Coated Retriever, but the Springer makes sense - the pekingnese makes it interesting :D

andreac wrote: »
    Thats interesting alright.
    Just wondering did you give any info with the blood test or was it just the blood sample itself?

no info other than name and age (DOB) never mentioned what we thought they might be no pictures of them until now for their certs (was told the breeds before pictures sent)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thats interesting Paul, wouldnt mind getting that done for Ozzie, although we are pretty sure hes a York Russel!

How much was it again? Did you have to take a blood sample or get the vet to do it?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thats interesting Paul, wouldnt mind getting that done for Ozzie, although we are pretty sure hes a York Russel!

How much was it again? Did you have to take a blood sample or get the vet to do it?

twas 60 sterling (each) and it's just two swabs of the inside of the mouth - pretty simple, just get the swabs (sent to you) and rub them on the inside of the dogs cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

We have two terrier mixes

One is is a cairn x, not sure what he could be crossed with, maybe a bit of scottie in him?

011.jpg

The other fella is a borer terrier/corgi ? or so we've been told!
    0102.jpg

We have two terrier mixes

One is is a cairn x, not sure what he could be crossed with, maybe a bit of scottie in him?

011.jpg

The other fella is a borer terrier/corgi ? or so we've been told!
    0102.jpg

i'd say they are pretty spot on, i only glanced at your post before opening the pictures, and saw the second one and immediately thought corgi, zoomed in and thought looks like a border terrier as well, then read your post in full :D

Everybody who we talk to always says thats what chester is! (border/corgi) He's got the border terrier attitude anyway thats for sure! :P

Henry is a little harder to figure, just a mix of all things good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Fox X terrier, well that is what everyone says ! Pom x ??

BF6483EEF8DF4410ABE44BF87BD00B0A-240.jpg1E0C4B8B51B54B52A26DED7F26F865E7-240.jpg

DCFFB8A8D68048BBAC4BE307C291DEBF-240.jpg7A07A3AD7C28468D901C4F602C5F9D0E-240.jpg

DC76CF5DE5254093987123FD6800A5FB-500.jpg

here is a picture of my German Springerese (German Shepherd/English Springer Spaniel/Pekingese) i think you can see the Spaniel in them and maybe German Shepherd - the Pekingese comes into play when they want to be lap dogs - Bully is over 4 stone in weight!

PennyandBullyshrunk.jpg

PaulB91 wrote: »
    here is a picture of my German Springerese (German Shepherd/English Springer Spaniel/Pekingese) i think you can see the Spaniel in them and maybe German Shepherd - the Pekingese comes into play when they want to be lap dogs - Bully is over 4 stone in weight!

Oh you can definitely see the spaniel, I would have said crossed with a lab! The one on the right has the head of a lab I think. Can't see German shep myself, but then again I'm no expert! ;)

Chorcai wrote: »
    Fox X terrier, well that is what everyone says ! Pom x ??

BF6483EEF8DF4410ABE44BF87BD00B0A-240.jpg1E0C4B8B51B54B52A26DED7F26F865E7-240.jpg

DCFFB8A8D68048BBAC4BE307C291DEBF-240.jpg7A07A3AD7C28468D901C4F602C5F9D0E-240.jpg

DC76CF5DE5254093987123FD6800A5FB-500.jpg

God he looks a bit like my fella Chester! I would say he's got a bit of corgi and possible a small bit of Chihuahua around the face maybe? Also definitely see the pom in him. A mixture of everything! :P

God he looks a bit like my fella Chester! I would say he's got a bit of corgi and possible a small bit of Chihuahua around the face maybe? Also definitely see the pom in him. A mixture of everything! :P

Definately a corgi face!! Maybe some German Spitz also???

Oh you can definitely see the spaniel, I would have said crossed with a lab! The one on the right has the head of a lab I think. Can't see German shep myself, but then again I'm no expert! ;)

heres mom and pups 36 hours after delivery 36hourslater.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

This is Sindy a Spaniel/Retriever Cross. 11 months now :-)

barbiegirl wrote: »
    This is Sindy a Spaniel/Retriever Cross. 1 months now :-)

ahh a Retriel or is she a Spariever ;) she's a big girl for only a month!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

I must get a pic up of my fella. I've changed my mind on what he is. I think he's The Artful Dodger X kangaroo/bold child ;)

• Advertisement

i thought Tyson was part seal for a while as he swims more than walks :D and Penny has the hind legs of a kangaroo

Advertisement