Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere to run my pet Greyhound

• 15-03-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Guys I wonder if any of you can help me, I own a rescue Greyhound for around 14 months. Although she doesnt need much exercising, she gets 2 x 30 mins walks a day and she is flat out!

But once in a while I would like to let her of the lead and stretch her legs as I know she loves running. Im looking for a place the could do this? There is various dog parks around Dublin but she still has the chase instinct in her and I wouldnt like to risk another v small dog getting hurt ( I know muzzling could help this).

Is there anywhere or anyone that knows a secure area that would even charge for rental that I could bring her to run or any other ideas?

Just want to add that greyhounds are by far the nicest, most pleasent dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning, the misconception is still alive and well that they are high energy dogs.

I can assure you a 10 minute run would see her tucked up on a sofa for four hours, they shed hardly any hair and I have heard her bark 5 times since I have had her!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hi Rafloution,
    Yeah great dogs and wonderfull pets. I take my lad down to the back fields in Corkagh park to stretch his legs and I have never had a problem there. The odd time we will meet other dogs there but their owners have no problems in letting them all charge around the fields together. PM if you want to know the exact location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I can't help you with a location, but just wanted to say fair play for rescuing a grey! Aren't they fantastic!

You should put up a pic too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Hi Rafloution,
    Yeah great dogs and wonderfull pets. I take my lad down to the back fields in Corkagh park to stretch his legs and I have never had a problem there. The odd time we will meet other dogs there but their owners have no problems in letting them all charge around the fields together. PM if you want to know the exact location.

I take my fella down there too, it really is a good place to let them go for a gallop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

The back fields of Newbridge park are great. However not totally enclosed so if he/she not trained to come back it wont work.

And don't let the park rangers catch you with her off the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I know of a racecourse that has a fenced in area that trainers bring their greyhounds to. It is in Tipp though......maybe if there were any racecourses near you they may do the same?
    Not sure if it just for trainers but it looks good with big high fencing around it and I think it is all weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah a field with secure fencing would be most appropriate unfortunately seems easier said than done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is an enclosed field down here in kilcullen where we let our dogs out for a run. It is a large field with 2 entrances and people do walk through it occasionally to get to the old graveyard so she would have to have some type of recall. But the chances of her running off are slim as she would have to cover a good distance to get to the gates. And then if she got to them, someone would have to happen to be coming through them at that time.

It might be too much of a distance for you though. About 25 mins from newlands cross.

The farmer allows dogs in, but there may sometimes be cows and obviously then you have to do with an onlead walk in the near park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had the same problem. I found a GAA pitch with a high fence around it & luckily the club thought that it was a hilarious idea. I have always had dogs for many years & my only regret is not getting a Greyhound earlier.

If you get any adverse remarks just say that she is a lurcher & not covered by the ridiculous Greyhound laws - assuming that she is not tattoed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I love Greyhounds :) I would love one but with rabbits and guinea pigs and cats and small dogs and a small garden, oh and not being allowed to get another dog, it would be a bit risky.

I just want to add that if she doesn't like small dogs, then there's still a risk she could hurt one even with a muzzle on. She could hurt it with her feet especially if it was really tiny, like a miniature Yorkie or something. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I forgot to add, be careful with fences & obstacles that may be obvious to you but not to a running Greyhound. I remember seeing one at a vets that had run headlong into a chainlink fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SarahMc2

I live in Tallaght with my rescued greyhound Sam. Sam loves meeting other greyhound (as long as dogs don't jump on him) and would love to meet up for runs with other greyhounds. We go to Tymon Park and is very secure park with fields (lots for rabbits though) so would be a good spot or we could travel within south side. If anyone's interested PM me!

Advertisement