Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone options!

• 15-03-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hey guys looking for any good recommendations for a smartphone...I'm about to upgrade and wondering what the general feel is out there.

Obviously im tempted by the iphone and its vodafone launch but heard its reception is dodgey

Also the HTC phones I've heard are not as fast

Anyone shine any light on these issues? if they exist? and maybe point me in the right direction of a solid smartphone??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well to be honest I suggest you avoid the LG Layla. Unreliable rubbish based on the one I have and can no longer use due to the reboots. I would also not bother with any windows phone to be honest with you, none that I have used are good enough to be sold as finger touch devices and still need a stylus to use correctly.
    I have an 8GB Iphone 3G and apart from the obvious Iphone limitations I have yet to use a touch screen phone as responsive and as intuitive to use as an Iphone.

My wife is getting a HTC Tattoo tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Caoimh37 wrote: »
    hey guys looking for any good recommendations for a smartphone...I'm about to upgrade and wondering what the general feel is out there.

Obviously im tempted by the iphone and its vodafone launch but heard its reception is dodgey

Anyone shine any light on these issues? if they exist? and maybe point me in the right direction of a solid smartphone??

Thanks

Current WM HTC phones are as fast as any other, with the HD2 being noticeably faster and more customisable than the iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Acer Liquid. Currently using android 1.6 and due to be released in the U.S. this month with Android 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

There's many different types of HTC phones, the HD2 flys withs it 1ghz processor. There's a huge difference in runnning Copilot Live 8 sat nav on the HD2 compared to the iPhone. The iPhone is just so slow at loading and scrolling around on it, not to mention it looks alot better on the HD2's higher res screen and big screen. You can have skype and voip always on on the HD2 you can't on the iPhone. Great if you have a blueface account! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

HTC HD2 blows the iPhone out of the water. It's really something else and it gets a free Windows 7 Mobile upgrade.

There's also the Nokia N900 which is another brilliant phone. It's completely open source unlike any other phone. You can literally do anything with it. You can install Android (As found on the nexus one and htc hero) or even run Windows 95 (Yay :D). It's unbelievably versatile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Caoimh37

HTC HD2 blows the iPhone out of the water. It's really something else and it gets a free Windows 7 Mobile upgrade.

There's also the Nokia N900 which is another brilliant phone. It's completely open source unlike any other phone. You can literally do anything with it. You can install Android (As found on the nexus one and htc hero) or even run Windows 95 (Yay :D). It's unbelievably versatile.

OP here...cool yeah the HTC HD2 looks and seems pretty slick.....Does vodafone have it?? really tempted as all reports are coming back...where would I get the best deal?

Cheers all for your posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

O2 only at the moment. Fairly cheap on billpay. €49-€199 depending on tariff (They are fairly expensive €40 - €100 p/m but you get 2GB data)

They can be had for €400-€500 sim free.

Not on Vodafone afaik.

The N900 is available though and that's quite a phone aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Totally recommend the HD2. Superb phone and blows everything else apart :D

OP here...cool yeah the HTC HD2 looks and seems pretty slick.....Does vodafone have it?? really tempted as all reports are coming back...where would I get the best deal?

Cheers all for your posts

Vodafone will be introducing it, not sure when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

angel01 wrote: »
    Totally recommend the HD2. Superb phone and blows everything else apart :D

Question!! With a screen as big as the HD2 has, does one need a medium sized nuclear plant to keep it running:eek:

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Question!! With a screen as big as the HD2 has, does one need a medium sized nuclear plant to keep it running:eek:

Not really, I have toned down the brightness settings to 30% and put it into standby when I dont use it, I don't have data updating all the time. It will use a lot of battery by default but you can alter the settings and it can last quite well :)

I love the phone so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

You sure about that?? I don't think it will

Top phone by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Saruman wrote: »
    I would also not bother with any windows phone to be honest with you, none that I have used are good enough to be sold as finger touch devices and still need a stylus to use correctly.

You obviously haven't used a Windows HTC HD2 yet then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Boxfresh wrote: »
    You obviously haven't used a Windows HTC HD2 yet then.

No so I am open to correction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I looked at the HTC HD2 and indeed it does look great, although I was worried about the windows (no I'm not a retarded MS hater, I just have issues with the mobile platform) version on it.

The HTC Desire looks pretty damn cool to me as it has Andriod, very similar specs yet crucially Andriod and the screen is smaller 3.7" in comparison to the ridiculously large 4.3" of the HD2 .

I don't know how soon one could expect to see the Desire here though....Anyone know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

I have a Nokia E72 and i would recommend it. I've had a lot of phones in the past but this is definitely the best. Its around €400 i think (I bought it online for a cheaper price) and worth every penny. Not to mention, its a very nice looking phone.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2010/03/05/Nokia-E72-Smartphone/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭spudwiser

for those who have bought/had experience of the HTC HD2 how do you find the size of it?

is it practical?or is it like carrying a laptop in your pocket??

spudwiser wrote: »
    for those who have bought/had experience of the HTC HD2 how do you find the size of it?

It fits perfectly in my pocket, I think it is a brilliant phone, does everything I need it to, no issues with Win Mobile and the screen is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

spudwiser wrote: »

The HD2 is only a few millimetres bigger than the iphone, it looks alot bigger because of the much bigger screen. Here's a good site to compare phone sizes,

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-HD2-US-phone-size-compare-pc_4345.html

HTC HD2 121 x 67 x 11 mm

iPhone 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 mm

HTC Desire 119 x 60 x 11.9 mm

As you can see there's not much of a difference, but if you compare the actual screen size there's a massive difference. When looking at a screen thats displaying 800x480 you'll be glad of the extra .5 inch of display. Not that the iphone can display 800x480

yet crucially Andriod and the screen is smaller 3.7" in comparison to the ridiculously large 4.3" of the HD2 .

What kind of nonsense is this all about! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

It depends on what your priorities are and where you're prepared to compromise. Do you want a big screen, decent battery life, MP3 player, good camera or ease of use with nice OS/Apps?
    I've had an iPhone 3G for 18 months and even though it has provided some frustrating moments it's still the best pocket computer with a built in phone and (not so great) camera I've ever had. :cool:
    The question now is do I go for a 3GS or wait till July for the next version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Thanks

I've never had any problems with speed on my HTC Hero. It's quite nifty even on the basic ROM that comes with it. It can be even faster if you root it and install a custom ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

What about the nokia e72?

Advertisement