Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are the penalties for Motorway driving on a provisional

• 15-03-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

does any one know the penalties for driving on a motor way if stopped.

tried looking it up but to many conflicting reports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I can't find anything definitive on it but found this on www.penalytpoints.ie

Failure to comply with mandatory traffic signs:
    Fixed Penalty 1 point
    On Court Conviction 3 points

Failure of Vehicle to comply with prohibitory traffic signs
    Fixed Penalty 1 point

Failure by vehicle to comply with traffic sign signifying that a roadway not be entered
    Fixed Penalty 1 point

It would come under 1 of these 3 I'd say

It may come under this one though:
    Driving without a driving licence (effectively you would be)
    Fixed Penalty 2 point
    On Court Conviction 5 points

• Registered Users Posts: 24 red barron

yeah its hard to pin down what the actual penalties are.

i had a look earlier and nothing was really clear. i have heard that you can have your licence taken off you but that could be just old wife tales.

hopefully i can find out for defo here.

red barron wrote: »
    yeah its hard to pin down what the actual penalties are.

i had a look earlier and nothing was really clear. i have heard that you can have your licence taken off you but that could be just old wife tales.

hopefully i can find out for defo here.

Bottom line is rules are rules, they are there for a reason and unless you've passed your test you shouldn't be on the motorway.

To quote you, "you're in charge of a potential killing machine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Bottom line is rules are rules, they are there for a reason and unless you've passed your test you shouldn't be on the motorway.

To quote you, "you're in charge of a potential killing machine"

Are you joking? why does passing the test make you capable of driving on a motorway? you can't drive on one beforehand and you cant drive on one for the test. The test does nothing to equip you to drive on a motorway.
    Experience is the only thing that equips you to drive on a motorway.

Here is an addendum question to the OPs : how, when and why would you ever have a check point on a motorway? surely they would be too dangerous? so how could you be stopped and charged?

lynski wrote: »
    Are you joking? why does passing the test make you capable of driving on a motorway? you can't drive on one beforehand and you cant drive on one for the test. The test does nothing to equip you to drive on a motorway.
    Experience is the only thing that equips you to drive on a motorway.

Here is an addendum question to the OPs : how, when and why would you ever have a check point on a motorway? surely they would be too dangerous? so how could you be stopped and charged?

No, I'm not joking.

The rules state you shouldn't be on the motorway on a Learner Permit.

Hazard Perception, anticipation, observation properly signalling, progress etc are a huge factors when dealing with driving on the motorway. Unless you have passed your test what's to say you have an acceptable degree of any of these skills.

Unless it's rush hour :D Things happen far faster on the motorway than they would on other roads so being able to demonstrate the standard required in the test will go some way to help someone deal with things.

I do think however that there should be a motorway element within lessons and the driving test however the skills required to pass the test should not be underestimated and can obviously be improved on with further driving experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

lynski wrote: »

Usually you get stopped and pulled over for speeding, on the phone, no seatbeat on etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I do think however that there should be a motorway element within lessons and the driving test however the skills required to pass the test should not be underestimated and can obviously be improved on with further driving experience

Not every test centre is close to a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I don't know the penalties, I come home the motor way as it's safer (& a lot of people will say the same) than taking the old roads, if I ever get stopped ... Ehhhh ye have no sign back the road there to tell me it's a motor-way lol :D which they don't!

Yes I know I shouldn't be on it but I know the road, it's dead at the hour of night I'd be on it & the old road it's mad dangerous 80 limit on it & they all travel at 100-130 on it & over take when you can't feckin over take on the road for pretty much all of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know the penalties, I come home the motor way as it's safer (& a lot of people will say the same) than taking the old roads, if I ever get stopped ... Ehhhh ye have no sign back the road there to tell me it's a motor-way lol :D which they don't!
    It's your job to know where you can drive, it's not up to anyone to tell you. Try using that excuse if stopped for speeding, no tax displayed etc.

Advertisement