Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish Android apps would you like to see?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

When I started my final year project on Android in November 2008 Android was still in its pre release phase and only on developer handsets.

I'd imagine apart from Google employees getting a G1 as there xmas bonus that there was very few handsets in the Irish market right up until a few months ago.

However Android seems to be growing very popular in the Irish market and I suspect it will grow over the coming year with more and more handsets becoming available.

There are some great Irish apps available already, JAertel, Cabbage, Next Dart to name a few.

So what I'm wondering is what kind of apps would Irish Android users like to becoming available for the handsets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

some banking apps for a start! although it is possible to use aib online on the web browser just not as slick or as fast as an app would be.

cabbage is wicked, would love some integration with that so it stores your sent message in the correct thread in the internal sms app - might be difficult/impossible (certainly without root anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

00sully wrote: »
    some banking apps for a start! although it is possible to use aib online on the web browser just not as slick or as fast as an app would be.

Think this is something only the banks could do. With the whole security side of things I certainly wouldn't be using any app that wasn't signed off by the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

oh certainly I wasn't doubting that - unlikely the banks would do an Android app too - pity. they will no doubt do an iPhone one at some stage :/

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

bus times would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeh a bank app could be done but security would probably be a major issue.

Saving the messages to the native sms database could be done but the sms area of android is still technically under construction so its likely to change in the future meaning an sms app written now may need to be completely rewrote for future versions of Android

Bus time tables is interesting

Any more ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I had the idea of doing one for pumps.ie but someone else has already done it (TheFuelApp).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A fuel app would be useful. (Didn't know there was one coming out)
    A place to eat app would also be useful, but I suppose it would only be as useful as the places that want to be on it.
    A banking app would be deadly, but as usual, they'll be so slow on the uptake.

Off Topic: Knowledge economy my arse, we're so slow to adapt to these things, its unreal! I mean, most Irish websites are still so basic.)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i dont have an android phone so i dont know if my ideas are already apps so excuse me if i am repeating reality. a bar-night guide would be cool, it could tell you what pubs/clubs have promotions on certain nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There's a few apps about places to eat, drink etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Please port Sam Vimes's BART. Pretty please

http://cabbagetexter.com/bart.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

draffodx wrote: »
    Saving the messages to the native sms database could be done but the sms area of android is still technically under construction so its likely to change in the future meaning an sms app written now may need to be completely rewrote for future versions of Android
    Jelly SMS already does that, it's the feature that killed Cabbage on Android for me, although there's some things I preferred about Cabbage.
    long_b wrote: »
    Please port Sam Vimes's BART. Pretty please

http://cabbagetexter.com/bart.php
    +1 million, I loved this on Symbian. Next Dart only has half the functionality (no way of checking the full timetable - I know it can be done via the browser but you can also check the next Dart that way). Plus Next Dart frequently force closed on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

Hey, I'm one of the developer's of Next Dart. Sorry about the frequent force closing, it's a problem with how we call the GPS service on the phone. Also there's an issue with early morning darts (before 10) which escaped us in beta testing as neither of us get up that early! The good news is that we've a major update in the works which allows us to show times for all the routes in Ireland and fixes all those bugs.. However we're both full time final year students and we've both got other priorities right now so the update may take a while. I'm glad people find the app somewhat useful though! Any suggestions for future updates most welcome.

Cheers

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

smackyB wrote: »
    Hey, I'm one of the developer's of Next Dart. Sorry about the frequent force closing, it's a problem with how we call the GPS service on the phone. Also there's an issue with early morning darts (before 10) which escaped us in beta testing as neither of us get up that early! The good news is that we've a major update in the works which allows us to show times for all the routes in Ireland and fixes all those bugs.. However we're both full time final year students and we've both got other priorities right now so the update may take a while. I'm glad people find the app somewhat useful though! Any suggestions for future updates most welcome.

Cheers

Stephen

Thanks for making a useful app for free Stephen. You could try to scrape more and wider timetables, such as for buses, unless that widens the scope of the application too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

A bus one would be great.

I however do use Bart on my Android. To use it just get the application Java ME Apps then download and install Bart and it will run through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 David55

just a quiestion on android dose anyone know when the nexus one and (if) the HTC Legend is coming to ireland? really like them but I hate the fact T-mobile gets them and we don't wish T-mobile came to here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I find IrlCinema guide pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

David55 wrote: »
    just a quiestion on android dose anyone know when the nexus one and (if) the HTC Legend is coming to ireland? really like them but I hate the fact T-mobile gets them and we don't wish T-mobile came to here

Nexus One is supposedly due in 'spring' with last reports I've seen suggesting late April. It'll only be available through google.com/phone as is currently the case in the countries it's already available in. Also Vodafone will be the local operator here for it - initially at least. Prices likely to be exactly as they are now.

For now it is possible to get them - either from eBay, using a friend/family member to forward to you or a mail forwarding co in the US - there's always ways n means.

Can't comment on the Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

An Irish TV guide app would be good. TellyZap Lite does the job but is a bit awkward.

An oldie but something I used to use regularly enough before switching to an Android phone - an app for generating WEP keys for Eircom netopia routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Theres a wep app there already called Eircom Wep....

• Advertisement

I'd like an app that taps into the database on the lotto site and allows you to put in your numbers similar to how the way lotto.ie works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was doing to do my 4th year project with Android, developing a voice-recognition translator from English to Irish. I decided not to opt for it, as the voice recognition seemed to be very finicky with Irish accents.

Shame. Might give android at look at again sometime.

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Theres a wep app there already called Eircom Wep....

Cool - doesn't appear to support the Tattoo (doesn't show up on a search for eircom) which I orig searched for it on but have it on my N1 now.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'd like an app that taps into the database on the lotto site and allows you to put in your numbers similar to how the way lotto.ie works...

so you can check if your numbers ever came up is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They already have an iPhone app that does this. I'm sure they'll follow up with an android version.

so you can check if your numbers ever came up is it?

No, I don't do the lotto, just like to read random series of numbers...

No, I don't do the lotto, just like to read random series of numbers...

Sorry what I meant is did you mean the service where you put in your numbers you do every week and it will give you what you would have won over the past 7 years on whatever it is using those numbers.

Or did you mean scan the barcode of a ticket (or input the numbers) and get the results for that one draw

did you mean the service where you put in your numbers you do every week and it will give you what you would have won over the past 7 years on whatever it is using those numbers.
    I just mean that you can enter your numbers - whether they are the same every week or otherwise and find out if they are winning numbers or not. TBH, I'm not sure it needs to go back 7 years, but I think its better to be able to query your numbers against the database rather than visually check your numbers against a list.

Or did you mean scan the barcode of a ticket (or input the numbers) and get the results for that one draw
    This is a great idea, I'd certainly use it if it was achievable.

The main point is that you can check your numbers similar to they way its done on the lotto website...

This is a great idea, I'd certainly use it if it was achievable.

Seems its impossible as access to the lotto database is required and obviously there not gonna give me access :D

There is an app coming from the lotto themselves that will allow scanning the barcode for Android & Iphone soon anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What about some kind of boards.ie reader. Often have problems when roaming trying to get in with my browser...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement