Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quark Cheese - Where to buy or alternative plz?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Got a great cheesecake recipe with quark cheese. Got the cheese up North before but can't find it anywhere down South...

Anyone know where I could buy in and around South Dublin?

Or is there an alternative to using quark cheese?

Thanks a mil in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl or Aldi might be a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Think you'll get it in the east european shops but it goes by a few different names depending on the shop or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I don't know of any Eastern European shops on the Southside, but if you're willing to take a quick jaunt to the Northside, there's a large Polish supermarket on Capel St. near the quays end. There's also one on North Earl St, but the Caple St. one would be a safer bet.

The stuff you're looking for is called "twaróg," they do it especially for cheesecakes in a tub like this. You can use regular twaróg but may have to blend it to make it smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Half purreed cottage cheese and half Greek yoghurt. I've used that for baked cheesecakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ugni

Anyone know do any of the larger supermarkets stock this cheese or even somewhere in the north??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Aldi have it and its actually labelled Quark

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

An irish company also produce quark and as far as i know they stock in some spars and supervalus around the country. I had trouble locating it too. It comes in a 200g pot and the label is pink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Fomage Frais is very similar too, a bit more moist though. But works well for baked cheese cake.
    Aldi has Quark? Since when, I haven't seen any there. Good news if they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sajajo

I too look for Quark for years now. There is an Irish Company doing it, but they refuse to answer my e-mails, as where they sell to. I couldn't find it in the Polish shop here, but I'll keep looking. did you have any luck yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

Yep, I found the twaróg in the polish shop. You're best bet is write it down, bring it with you and they'll show you where it is. There's different types as far as I know (full fat, half fat) but one I saw in a small bucket type container has pictures of cakes on it so you know it's the right stuff.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Dunnes Stores in Clondalkin (Mill Ce.ntre) were stocking it a couple of weeks ago.

It is used in a lot of recipes for slimming world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

could you use cream cheese instead, could not find it today

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Cream cheese makes the best cheesecakes, in my experience - if you're not worried about fat content (and I'm not). Not a fan of quark! I make a rather glorious (though I say it myself) cheesecake using a pack of full fat Philly, 2 or 3 eggs, the juice and zest of a lemon, sweetener of choice to taste (I use Splenda, but get screamed at by 'health' people for so doing), all whisked up until smooth, poured onto a base made from more Splenda, ground almonds and butter, and baked until the top goes a bit brown, and it all ceases to wobble. Best eaten cold, with sliced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.

Those of you not trying to lose weight could do something similar with the usual digestive crumb base.

I have to try the Polish shop next, if not, I found a recipe to make it myself with Buttermilk. I tried the cheesecake with Philly, but just not the same. Eventually I'll get one, one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

They have in in Dunnes Stores in Rathmines, beside the greek yoghurts in the dairy section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Gauge wrote: »
    They have in in Dunnes Stores in Rathmines, beside the greek yoghurts in the dairy section.

Thanks must check out my local dunnes :)

Quark is now in some tescos, its called quark cheese and is produced by an irish company kilbeg dairies, works good if your looking for a low fat cheesecake although if you dont want this use mascarpone instead...delish....same company have mascarpone in tesco both are beside each other ive tried both and am pretty impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

alan85 wrote: »
    Hi,

Got a great cheesecake recipe with quark cheese. Got the cheese up North before but can't find it anywhere down South...

Anyone know where I could buy in and around South Dublin?

Or is there an alternative to using quark cheese?

Thanks a mil in advance!

Can't speak for South Dublin, but here in Cork Tescos have started stocking it.
    Aldi and Lidl unfortunately don't.

A good alternative to use is Mascarpone.

is it any good? can you tell me the name and brand so i can try pick it up?

I have tried the Mascapone and thought it was not nice. Seen the quark and couldn't believe the price. 2 € for 200 gr. I'd need up to a kg for a cheescake, so. I make it myself now. Heat up buttermilk in the oven for 2 hours at about 100 degrees, drain in a cheescloth for another 2 hours, and presto.... Quark. about 2€ for 500 gr.

• Advertisement

seems like a lot of hassle to make it? where would you even get cheesecloth? think il pay for the convenience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's a lot of satisfaction to be had out of making your own. Also, you know exactly what goes into the product you are making. Cheesecloths can be purchased in kitchenware stores.

For someone who's post history cleary shows themselves to be interested in dairy products I'm surprised that you are not aware of this.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

hiya,

I was in Superquinn Knocklyon today and they had quark....

HTH
    Trix

There's a lot of satisfaction to be had out of making your own. Also, you know exactly what goes into the product you are making. Cheesecloths can be purchased in kitchenware stores.

For someone who's post history cleary shows themselves to be interested in dairy products I'm surprised that you are not aware of this.

tHB

i do like my dairy but in terms of buying cheesdecloths and making my own i wouldnt know where to start although maybe il give it a go over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alliejane

I bought it in dunnes wexford about 3 weeks ago, but when I went back to stock up again it was not there, not even an out of stock lable on shelf???:mad:

going to try tesco even though I dont like to shop with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

The polish shops sell it - its called twarog, comes as low / non fat and more fatty versions. It tends to be a bit more dry than the fresh cheese sold as quark but is basically the same thing. Ideal for German style baked cheese cake. And cheaper as well.

yippie its back in dunnes stores quark fat free soft cheese supplied by Golden Acre Dairy Foods Ltd., 3000 Hillswood Drive, Hillswood Business Park, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 0RS Tel: 01932 895823[EMAIL="%20e:info@goldenacrefoods.com"] e:info@goldenacrefoods.com[/EMAIL]

well done dunnes and please all buy it there so they will keep it listed in stock its really lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Dair wrote: »
    An irish company also produce quark and as far as i know they stock in some spars and supervalus around the country. I had trouble locating it too. It comes in a 200g pot and the label is pink

Yes actually contacted the suppliers of this quark to find where to purchase. I did find it in my local Spar - not sure of the exact website but you could try Kilbeg Dairy Delights for a list of stockists.

thanks for that:)

I had been trying all over for the irish made one(want to do my bit and all that) but owner of my local farm shop said he had problems with the supplier as it took ages for his order to come in and that the shelf life was too short so he ended up chucking out most of his order. it says on the kilbeggen cheese web site all the places its listed and I could not find it in any of them, its a pity but the golden acre version is lovely so hope dunnes keep it stocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Dunnes have it alright.

Advertisement