Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Patricks Day Race Dunboyne

• 15-03-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Anyone know the dea with the race on weds from Dunboyne. Says 100 km on the calendar which I thought seems a bit long for A4. Is it handicapped and anyone know what the course is like?

Cheers

Shaun

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Folks,

Anyone know the dea with the race on weds from Dunboyne. Says 100 km on the calendar which I thought seems a bit long for A4. Is it handicapped and anyone know what the course is like?

Cheers

Shaun

It's a handicap race. AFAIK the course has a few drags but no major hills (all that work up Barnagearra wasted ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's 65km, looks to be exactly the same circuit as the Usher-Orwell-Lucan-Tiernans-UCD club league opener that was cancelled. This is different to the circuit actually used in the Dublin Wheelers GP. A few drags and a bit of a sharp steep shock in Doreys Forge but would generally class as pretty flat.
    Paddys Day Race

Sign on at Dunboyne Soccer Club on the Summerhill Road (2km from Dunboyne) from 09;30

Race starts at 11;00.
    Distance 65km
    2 laps of Doreys Forge circuit.
    Prize Giving after in McDonalds pub, Clonee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

From Irish Cycling:
    Sign-on is in the Dunboyne Soccer Club from early morning with the events getting under way at 11 o'clock. The distance is just in excess of 40 miles with A one and two riders moving ahead for the first event followed by a significant gap of minutes to allow the A three and fours rev up the pulse as they swing into action. The course is Dunboyne/Summerhill Road/Coolmullen/Trim Road/Grange Cross/Dorey's Forge where there is a nice little drag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

who's planning on doing this in the moro?

on the fence myself still, not sure if i should bother my knee quite yet...though be nice to do a course i've done before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I'm out family time needed with Bohermeen Harry Reynolds and Jazzer Wherity coming up in next 2 weeks. Good luck to whoever goes. 3 hrs in morn early for me instead:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

who's planning on doing this in the moro?

on the fence myself still, not sure if i should bother my knee quite yet...though be nice to do a course i've done before

Me, Blorg (probably), Diarmuid....

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Mel and I are heading too...

os5qv7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Good luck guys! Lumen, show them what what it's all about! An English win on paddy's day :P ... ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

results anywhere?

• Advertisement

a bit early maybe, let them get their prizes and celebrate 1st.

Race started at 11am

65k long so would take about 1.5hrs or so!

Entirely feasible in this day and age of mobiles / twitter etc that results could be circulating on the web somewhere by now.

I have checked http://twitter.com/irishcycling and the Cycling Ireland Road Racing Facebook page but alas nothing yet!

are u stuck in work like me?
    they should be done yes at leats the A4 anyway. Come on you guys, RESULTS, PRONTO!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Calm down dear(s) ...

I think they still use the Pony Express in Dunboyne:)

Not much to report.

A4s not working much (me included) apart from one or two guys off the front most of the race, got caught by A3s around Dorey's Forge on second (final) lap.

Crazy bunch finish all over the road, wasn't going to get any points so dropped off the back out of cowardice/good sense.

Nice enough weather.

edit: boring stats analysis....

64km in 1:42, 37.42kph, 168bpm, 1276kJ, 208W.
    Peak power: 5s:751W, 30s:458W, 1m:390W, 5m:279W, 10m:266W, 30m:232W, 60m:219W.
    Max: 185bpm, 62.96kph, 817W.

I spent 17 minutes before the last corner averaging 180bpm/244W (including time at the front along the Trim road, then up Dorey's Forge). That HR is a bit higher than in training for the same output, which is to be expected given the higher stress of racing.

Generally lower effort than Newbridge on Sunday, but significantly longer. Race pace for 64km is quite draining.

There are still some strong riders in A4 despite recent promotions to A3. I felt quite cooked towards the end of the last lap, and I'd been sheltered for much of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

spdr10-25.jpg

Sickener!

thanks for the info Aidan

How does a Liverpool rider get to come over and ride the A3/4 race?!?! hmmmm

Sickener!

The caption on the photo is "Not the finish the gut with his hands up expected, he was piped on the line (see insert)"

That's a bit rude. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's what you get for celebrating too soon; from the previous picture he was looking overly complacent, looking around when he should have been looking at the line. He was in full celebration there like a sail crossing the line, if he even hadn't sat up he probably would have clinched it.

From my point of view it was another tough race, as with the last one I am finding it much more difficult to hold position in the A3 races. There were a few breaks I went with simply as I was on the front and easier to follow a wheel than be left sitting in the wind but all much too early (before the A4s were caught.) In the final sprint I was too far back and again couldn't get up, to be honest it was pretty hairy coming in the last few km and there were a few near crashes although I don't believe any actual hitting of the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Interesting race. Decided there was going to be no repeat of the Mick Lally where I did some work at the front then languished at the back for the rest of the race.

So in first 15k languished at the back. Doh!

On the Trim road got a good chance to hop on the front so took it. Worked pretty hard there for a few k and suddenly a little climb appeared. Next thing I know I go from front of the pack to end of the pack in the space of 100m. To make matters worse it was on the stretch on the road with the head wind so game over. I finished out the course but nothing to remark.

Still it was good fun. Another step on my learning process. Looking forward to the next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Morty78

Long shot here, but my Polar heart rate monitor/computer fell off my bike at yesterday's race in Dunboyne. Did anyone find it ?

spdr10-25.jpg

Sickener!

Out of curiosity...
    Regulation 10.2.2.
    Releasing the handle-bars when crossing the finishing line during a close sprint
    1st offence: Relegation to last place in the group involved in the sprint
    2nd offence: Disqualification Relegation to last place in the group involved in the sprint and report to Provincial Executive

and even...
    Regulation 10.2.1
    Holding the handle-bar with one hand when crossing the finishing line during a close sprint
    1st offence: Warning
    2nd offence: 30 seconds penalty
    3rd and subsequent offences: 1 min. penalty

Anyone know if it these rules have ever been enforced?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    Anyone know if it these rules have ever been enforced?

Barry Sutton was disqualified from a stage win in the RAS back in the day for doing just that (and it wasn't a large group sprint either !).

Haven't seen it enforced recently though

Id imagine the rule might only be envoked if someone appealed it or there was an incident.

Advertisement