Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current rent prices

Options
  • 15-03-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Just wondering what kind of rent everyone's paying in and around the city centre for a 3/ 4 bedroom house with parking?
    I have no idea as I have been in the same place for years.
    Am thinking of moving soon..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Paying €725/month for a 3 bed in Tirellan but hoping to negotiate a drop soon

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

wow thats cheap.. so I might just make the big move so..

It strikes me as a tad pricey considering the current economic climate. It depends on the location and quality of the house I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Really? wow. I must get searching so.
    presume landlordsare easier to deal with now too..
    Is rent usually negotiable etc now?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can definitely haggle. It depends on the location and how many offers they've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

some landlords are more amenable to negotiating rent. Some will look at you like you've slapped them if you even suggest it.

The trick is to not get attached to a place before you start negotiating. Be ready to walk away if things aren't going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It also depends on what you mean by city centre: IMHO Tirellan is nowhere near the centre.

Rents right in the city centre don't seem to have dropped so much. Though if you're in a position to look around and haggle, you may do well.

JustMary wrote: »
    It also depends on what you mean by city centre: IMHO Tirellan is nowhere near the centre.

Rents right in the city centre don't seem to have dropped so much. Though if you're in a position to look around and haggle, you may do well.
    In fairness its only a 15 minute walk to Eyre square from my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

currently livin down the docks. €900pm for 2 bed. that was after getting the rent down 6 months ago before taking the place so i think city centre places are holding their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

If you want a city center house plus parking you'll probably aiming for the edge of center ie - forster court or the green or lower salthill/fr griffin road on the other side.

If you're going to move, don't wait til august/september - tis when all the students look for places and when the rates will be the priciest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume you looked at what they charge in the areas you want?
    You can maybe get 10-20 off that per month, maybe.

http://www.daft.ie/
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifiedlistresults/Accommodation%20%26%20Property/accommodation%20to%20let/city%20centre/0

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Look at what they are looking for on daft and discount by between at least 15%. I live in Rosan Glas and you will get a really nice 4 bed all doubles all en-suite for about €800 - €850.

Business boy €900 for a 2 bed in the docks is very high in the present economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I know some classifies as county but but I pay 850 at the moment in Oranmore 3 bed semid. Wanted 1000 originally (1.5 yrs ago) but got that down to 900 at the time and then 850 4 months ago. It is too much and you can get pretty much same for less, but it is a nice place (high standard). The only reason I did not get rent down further by the way is the Landlord is like 85 yrs old with a heart condition and I did not want to perform cpr on him for the sake of 50 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Rent prices in Galway are still a joke. We've asked our landlord on numerous occasions to drop it as we've been there for 4 years but he simply wont budge.
    We wont move anywhere outside of town and all the other apartments we've seen in town are truely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi Muppetkiller,

What type of house is it (bedrooms location etc) and how much rent are you paying?

If we have a idea on the above we will have a a good idea if your paying above the odds.

Tell him you are going to move and show him what you can get a house just outside the city for, I'm telling you he'll change his mind pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Rent prices in Galway are still a joke. We've asked our landlord on numerous occasions to drop it as we've been there for 4 years but he simply wont budge.
    We wont move anywhere outside of town and all the other apartments we've seen in town are truely horrible.

Thing is if he wont budge and alternatives are either similar price or horrible then you are paying the market price. The price you pay are only a joke if you can find the same type of house in the same area for a lot less. Its no good comparing houses here to say Limerick (just as an example) as market forces are completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

How does a 5 bed house in lower salthill for 1200 compare to average?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm paying 1200 for a 3 bed in Dun Aengus.
    No parking which is the big killer. 3 people in the house with cars that's an extra 50 euro a month each for residents parking.

I was looking on Daft and you can buy a 1 bed apartment in Dublin city now for around 130k ...It's cheaper to live in Dublin now than Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 katiethescot

we're paying e750 for 4 bed house in mervue, we have a double driveway and a back garden, a lot cheaper living this side of town we've found and we're only 10 mins walk from wellpark which is so handy. landlord originally wanted e900 for it but it had dropped to e750 by the time we were looking last year, apparently it's easier to negotiate on 3/4 bedroom places (or it was last aug) as people seem to prefer 2 bed places for some reason... we know people paying the same as us for a 2 bed place in salthill...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

paying 850e, for a 2 bed apt, w/ ensuite.....
    Maybe a bit above the odds, but it's got panormaic sea view, balcony..etc
    There was alot of demand when renting it last summer, we were lucky yo get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galwaybabe wrote: »

You must walk faster than me then! Takes me a good 15 mins to get to Tesco from town.

We pay 815/month for a two bed in the inner city. Sunny big balcony at the the back, but no ensuite or parking, and the smaller room had a skylight but no opening window (perfect for visitors ... they're glad of the nice bed when the arrive, and glad to be getting a view back when they leave ;) Down from 850 when the owner fired the property mgmt co and started dealing direct.

I still think it's worth it for the location: we save a LOT by visiting Dunnes reduced-to-clear shelf regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

I live in Hynes Yard apartments facing onto the docks and last year before we had moved in,the landlord had dropped the price because nobody was interested in it.It's a 3 bed duplex,two ensuite and master has a walk in wardrobe! Our rent is only €1000 a month between four of us which is great but the building itself seems to falling apart!Thinking of moving to semple mill or cuirt seoige just to be in somewhere nicer and better management co.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I know a few people renting in town and they are paying around €400/month for a room. It is a ridiculous price but when people like them and you are willing to pay it why would you decrease your rent. I used to live in town but because of the high rent coupled with the noise/vomit/piss/shít etc I just decided to move.
    JustMary wrote: »
    You must walk faster than me then! Takes me a good 15 mins to get to Tesco from town.

We pay 815/month for a two bed in the inner city. Sunny big balcony at the the back, but no ensuite or parking, and the smaller room had a skylight but no opening window (perfect for visitors ... they're glad of the nice bed when the arrive, and glad to be getting a view back when they leave ;) Down from 850 when the owner fired the property mgmt co and started dealing direct.

I still think it's worth it for the location: we save a LOT by visiting Dunnes reduced-to-clear shelf regularly.
    galwaybabe wrote: »

Me and my friends used to rent a 3 bed in Tirellan for 800. It took me 15/20 minutes to walk to town. The house was newly refurbished too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

Buglim wrote: »
    Business boy €900 for a 2 bed in the docks is very high in the present economy.

yeah i was thinking that too. its not a bad apartment tho. completely detached in a courtyard area with large master with walk in waldrobe and en suite and other bedroom is of good size with seperate main bethroom.

still though anyonre think its over priced? how do you put it to your landlord about lowering the price even when you really dont want to move.

550/m for a new built 2 bed in the Briarhill area. Large driveway, back garden (though we share it) and the labrador & cat are allowed.

Biggest apartment (by area) we've ever had, btw, even though it's the cheapest.

Furniture isn't top of the line but we had a lot of our own stuff already, and we have the nicest landlady ever, for real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

€1350 for a three bed in Atlanta House. Just got a rent reduction by €100 last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

125 pw for a 3 bed near GMIT

rocky wrote: »
    125 pw for a 3 bed near GMIT

Is that for one room or for the full house?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I was paying 850 a month for a two bed with Parking in Dock House on Merchants Road. Initially was 950 in Feb 2008. Couldn't get it lowered anymore so left. Landlord then proceeded to renovate the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Xiney wrote: »
    Is that for one room or for the full house?

full house.

Advertisement