Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current rent prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

jesus - fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

We pay 750 euro/mth for a 3 bed house in Renmore, 2 doubles 1 single. The place badly needs refurbishing though.......damp issues......crap storage/furniture....the odd hole in the wall.....dont think a penny has been spent on the place in about 20 years. Rent prices are still a joke in Galway especially if you rely on rent allowance which you're only entitled to if you pay less than 65 euro/week or 260/mth (or in and around).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 john12

I living in merlin and i was paying 1400 3 years ago now the rent is 750 god bless the recession land lord din t want to drop the rent but after telling him i was moving out he change his mind haggle haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I'm living near UCHG and paying €800pm for a 3 bed (down from 950) with front and back gardens, driveway and the landlord pays for our bins and allows us to have pets. From talking to friends, city centre is holding their prices but everywhere else is negotiable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

According to todays Sentinel, 10,645 residences have been declared as second homes/rented out within the city boundary. This data comes from the imposition of the NPPR tax
    That's a huge figure - doubt there is more than 30,000 dwellings in the city, anyone know roughly the amount of residences in galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

We're paying 750 for a 2 bedroom place in Gort na Coiribe. Have to say the apartment is very very nice, very spacious living area. But we're still thinking we could get a full house for that cost. Were thinking of looking in Dangan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im in the Ballybrit area. In a 3 bed apartment. All rooms are double ensuite and two have a walk in wardrobe. €990 per month. It came down from €1080 about 6 months ago. What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi

You'll get a 4 bedroom house (all ensuite) in Rosan Glas in Rahoon for between €900 - €1,000 and it's very near Salthill and Town. €990 for Ballybrit is a bit expensive I'd say.

cooperguy wrote: »
    Im in the Ballybrit area. In a 3 bed apartment. All rooms are double ensuite and two have a walk in wardrobe. €990 per month. It came down from €1080 about 6 months ago. What do people think?

Unless it's a REALLY nice apartment with nice furniture... you're getting ripped off. In fact, I think even if it is really nice it should be closer to 900 - but without seeing pictures I wouldn't be able to tell.

Wouldn't pay more than 800 for a 3 bed in Ballybrit myself. Paying 550 for a 2 bed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Ok thanks guys,
    I'm still looking for a house in Galway.. Sigh!
    I thought it would be easy , but there's nothing suitable coming up.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    According to todays Sentinel, 10,645 residences have been declared as second homes/rented out within the city boundary. This data comes from the imposition of the NPPR tax
    That's a huge figure - doubt there is more than 30,000 dwellings in the city, anyone know roughly the amount of residences in galway?

Nope, I don't know the number. CSO might, but I'm too lazy to go looking.

But think about all the apartments in the student villages. Think about all the students who put themselves down for the census in their home-place, but actually spend 2/3 of every week here. (Using the hospitals, roads, water, gardai, etc that are allocated on the basis of the under-counted population that comes from the census.)

Xiney wrote: »
    Unless it's a REALLY nice apartment with nice furniture... you're getting ripped off. In fact, I think even if it is really nice it should be closer to 900 - but without seeing pictures I wouldn't be able to tell.

Wouldn't pay more than 800 for a 3 bed in Ballybrit myself. Paying 550 for a 2 bed here.
    It is nicely furnished. I would like a house just so I wouldnt have to use the dryer all the time and stuff! Only problem is finding a house with 3 ensuite rooms, I dont think any of us would give up the ensuite now!! and at this side of the town for work (I love no commute to work!).

Ah, 3 ensuite double rooms. Yeah.... I could see how they could charge 900 a month for that.

Seriously though, that means you're only paying 300 a month rent, it's a nice place, your own private bathroom... I wouldn't really be complaining I suppose. It's not a house for a family, it's a house for sharing - hence the price really.

Xiney wrote: »
    Ah, 3 ensuite double rooms. Yeah.... I could see how they could charge 900 a month for that.

Seriously though, that means you're only paying 300 a month rent, it's a nice place, your own private bathroom... I wouldn't really be complaining I suppose. It's not a house for a family, it's a house for sharing - hence the price really.
    I figured I wasnt doing too bad to be honest. Just wanted to make sure €990 wasnt paying over the odds after all these rent drops I keep hearing about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Ok we own our house but just asked lastnight to see what our friends were paying.
    700 for newly refurbished 3bed semi in Dangan, includes bins and are SUPER happy as say it's so quiet & safe. They often walk into town too so save on parking.
    650 for similar house in Rosan Glas, not so happy as neighbours loony but have signed year long lease.
    875 for 2 bed in Sliabh Rioga, I love this place I have to say but is a lot considering they NEVER have parking.
    I don't really think IN town has come down a lot in price but certainly outside has.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

We pay €950 in Dún Na Coiribe for a 3-bed place. The rooms are: Double en-suite, double and single.

Lots of parking and definitely big enough. Nice big balcony too. I'm happy enough but I know a lad living in the housin estate behind tesco on bohermore and it's a nice house, he pays €65 a week which is pretty sweet. It's a four bed place.

Wonder should we look for a place for the summer. The landlady is the nicest I've ever met though, any problems are sorted within 24hrs and always with a smile on her face. No complaints there.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

We're payin 1k a month up here in Mullan Mor (Ashbrook)

3 lads, 3 big double rooms, with ensuite each practically. Bathrooms are all beside bedrooms..

and landlord is lovely as well.

Too far outta town though... Lookin for a place for the summer, for 3 lads, but lookin to share with a few more, in town with room for parking...

Anyone lookin to hook up give me a shout (We'd prefer to share with girls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lilygirl

700 -800 in Doughisce, Lots of free parking spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Anyone know how how much it is to rent in the Rahoon area, i.e. Gleann Dara? My sister is moving down and wants to be in walking distance of Salthill, NUIG, etc. She is looking for a 4 Bedroomed Semi-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

700 in dangan sounds good

im paying 800 near there for a 4 bed house(family)

550 sounds excellent, dont take this the wrong way, but is it a kip?
    whats the area like, im a little lost in the wild east of the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Anyone know how how much it is to rent in the Rahoon area, i.e. Gleann Dara? My sister is moving down and wants to be in walking distance of Salthill, NUIG, etc. She is looking for a 4 Bedroomed Semi-D.

If you look at daft you see some for 850. None in Gleann Dara that I can see but in the Rahoon area. Some more expensive ones as well.

shaggykev wrote: »
    550 sounds excellent, dont take this the wrong way, but is it a kip?
    whats the area like, im a little lost in the wild east of the city

When I made the appointment to view the apartment, I fully expected it to be a kip. Like, seriously... too cheap not to be right?

It's really not. We're semi-basement though so that might not suit everyone - the landlords live upstairs and they are absolutely, without a doubt, the nicest people ever. They're really not up on the internet and stuff either so if they were jerks I would say so.

The apartment is really large, with a very efficient layout. There's no space wasted on hallways and other useless things. It's also been quite efficient to heat, probably because we're partly underground and there's no better insulation really.

The living room set and the kitchen table aren't the best, but the landlady is letting me paint & recover the kitchen table and chairs and the couches are comfortable plus we cover them with blankets due to the cat and the dog anyway, so that's all fine.

I don't really have any pictures of the place and it's really messy right now but I have this one that I took of the doggy:

25959_748649378617_13605750_43328749_4398635_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi

4 bed in Rosan Glas approx €800 - €900, they all say more but you'll get them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I've been out of the country for about 2 years, just wondering how much you would expect to pay for a single room (not ensuite) in a 3 bed house about 5 mins from say the top of dominic st in the west? Shantalla, St MArys rd area...

I know there would be other factors involved but roughly...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bass Cadet, since there is a current thread on rent costs I merged yours to it.
    Depending on the condition etc I'd say about 400 per month but prices vary a lot...

biko wrote: »
    Bass Cadet,
    Depending on the condition etc I'd say about 400 per month but prices vary a lot...
    :eek:
    I'd say €240 pm.

Are rents still sticky in town?
    I was helping someone looking a 3bedromm semi in the suburbs and
    a) the quality of housing is pretty bad for the price the landlords are asking
    b) landlords are still living in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

in a lovely 2 bedroomed apartment on bohermore, 680 a month, between myself and my boyfriend. only a 5 minute walk from town. it aint a kip either :D

Thought about starting a new thread but hey, we can compare a year ago to today. Have rents fallen further?

There was a piece in The Sentinel yesterday that there are an estimated 11,000 properties liable for the second home tax within the city boundary.
    The 2006 census reflects that the total number of households in Galway City was 25,353. http://www.galwaycity.ie/access/Atlas_Accessible.htm
    Whilst I recognise there are a huge number of students for nine months, that 11,000 figure is massive, which would indicate an oversupply of housing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

The figure is higher than 11k in the city, I'll dig out a link tomorrow. I know we have the highest rate of private rented accommodation in the country at 29% of housing stock. There's a sh1tload of empty ex-rentals around Knocknacarra. Landlords (well, a few certain developers and a lot of struggling 'amateurs') will not drop rents.

Advertisement