Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story About A Poltergeist In Cork House On 96fm's Neil Prendeville's Show

Options
  • 15-03-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the 'right' place to be posting this thread, or not, but it does concern a radio show and all that.

Anyway, did anyone hear this story on Neil Prendeville's show this morning? I missed it because I can't get 96fm up here, but a couple of mates mentioned it to me afterwards.

Apparently there's a council house up in the Hollywood Estate in Hollyhill, Cork city, that's being haunted by a poltergeist. Cork City Council have already called in a Shamanic healer named Paul O' Halloran to sort out the problem, but he has failed so far. Doors have been seen (and heard) banging by themselves, objects have been thrown around, drawers have been opening and closing by themselves, etc. Past tenants have been quick to move out of the house following all the disturbances.

Does anyone know any more details about the story? I only heard bits and pieces about it. I think they'll be talking about it again tomorrow morning. Sounds interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Right, I've been told more about the story since.

Some fella named Adrian lived there for 20-odd years and nothing strange happened to him inside the house. Then the house was bought by the Corporation but it was left idle for about 18 months, during which time various sorts were seen coming from and going to the place. There was speculation about people messing around with ouija boards and holding seances without the proper protection in place inside there. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't.

That Adrian fella said he was in the house again last week (the most recent occupants, a young-ish family, moved out last Thursday) and that it was so cold in there, it was "like death". He said it had nothing to do with the heating not having been turned on because it was an unnatural coldness, and the house hadn't been unoccupied for long anyway at the time of his visit. He said he saw photos showing 'orbs' which, in his mind, meant they were spirits. Yeah, right. Digital cameras are notorious for picking up so-called 'spirit orbs'. But yer man also said that these orbs could be seen moving around right in front of people's eyes in real time terms (as opposed to in a photo), both at day and at night-time. Other than that, he had no other (proper) 'evidence' to report.

96fm have sent a clown named John O' Reilly up there now to see what he can get clairvoyantly. He said a young bloke hanged himself, who's the main spirit in the house, but he isn't connected to the recent family in the house. Apparently he didn't hang himself in that house.

They also sent their reporter PJ Coogan up there earlier on but, apart from the feeling of being cold, he didn't witness anything weird.

They're talking about staying there overnight with that psychic fella Paul O' Halloran to see if anything happens.

There was a load of trouble up on the estate last night, with local youths (who may not necessarily be from the Hollywood Estate) pelting rocks at the house and cars coming into and out of the place. Place was jammed.

The woman who was living there recently with her family, and who's now living with her mam temporarily, is called Laura. She's supposed to be genuinely upset about what went on in the house and said that her five-year-old son was thrown out of his bed during the night, there were black shadows seen walking around, a holy statue moved off the windowsill and from room to room by itself, the immersion switched itself on, glasses and other ware came flying out of a kitchen cupboard and missed her fiance's head by inches, tables and chairs were seen levitating, a 'force' of cold air was pushing people around and "walking around them", scratches and marks were mysteriously appearing on the walls, etc. When they got in that priest to bless the house and the priest was unable to put the holy water in that fount thing on the wall, they asked him what they should do. The priest replied, "Get out. There's evil in this house".

A local councillor named David McCarthy david_mccarthy.jpg also spent four hours in the house and wrote down everything he witnessed. He saw the furniture levitating, the black shadows, and objects being flung around by themselves.

My sister partakes in this paranormal group: http://www.corkparanormalinvestigators.com/. They don't just go to Cork tho. Sure I'd say you'd run out of 'haunted' places in Cork anyway because Cork is only a dot in a very big world in fairness. Anyway, herself and another member are happy to go up and spend the night in that house in Hollyhill but they wouldn't have a hope of getting any more people from the group to go because the rest are wusses, by the sounds of things. One of them is supposed to even be afraid of the dark, lol. :pac: But my sis and the group's leader would have no bother heading up there. But I'd say it won't happen at all because the city council are strict about who they'll let in there, plus it looks like 96fm are sending PJ Coogan and that Paul O' Halloran in there overnight (Thursday night, the 18th?) anyway.

This should be gas. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

somebody failed a urine test

blue4ever wrote: »
    somebody failed a urine test

Lost-Sign-708635.jpg

Are you?

Dunno what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

moved from Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I am not dismissing the possibility of a haunting completely - not without actually being there and seeing if there is anything going on..

--BUT it is funny how many of these 'modern day haunting' stories involve council houses... Sometimes people could just want to get moved to another house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Happened not so long ago. Woman in council house in Tallaght wanted to move and informed the council that she couldnt live in her accomodation because it was haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CPI1

Cork Paranormal Investigators are NOT a bunch of wusses Excuse your cheek!!:mad:

CPI1 wrote: »
    Cork Paranormal Investigators are NOT a bunch of wusses Excuse your cheek!!:mad:

No, I won't excuse anything. And anyway, I never said ALL of them were wusses - just a few of them based on what Ive been told.

A woman of about 30-odd years of age having a fear of the dark (yet trying to be in a feckin paranormal group??? :confused: :rolleyes:), and another one doing a runner in reaction to minor stuff and being scared sh itless of stupid stuff in general.

If that isn't a wuss in action, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I am not dismissing the possibility of a haunting completely - not without actually being there and seeing if there is anything going on..

--BUT it is funny how many of these 'modern day haunting' stories involve council houses... Sometimes people could just want to get moved to another house.

or looking to make some money with her story in the papers. all nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Does anyone really believe this crap? Stuff flying out of cupboards? Film it for the love of God.

This reminds me of so many stories — one when the BBC said the planet alignment was going to cause a decrease in gravity. 16 friends phoned in to say they had 'experienced' this and floated around the room. The BBC then reported it was an April Fool's Day joke.

I mean the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry has said there is not an ounce of evidence for anything paranormal ever happening on this planet.

There are soooo many scientific explanations for cold 'feelings' that people experience, yet oh yeah — the explantation has to be ghostly.

Anyone check whether something is producing infrasound? Sounds lower than 20 hertz can be produced by things such as extraction fans! Yes, extraction fans! It can produce extreme feelings of sorrow, being watched, extreme anxiety and significant cold/chills. As it would be close to the resonant frequency of the eye, it could cause them to vibrate and produce black blobs, grey smoke, etc., etc.

What about excess levels of carbon monoxide? I mean this has been recognised since 1921 as something which produced the feelings of a haunting. 1921! It can cause problems with the visual and auditory systems...

I won't even mention what changes in Geomagnetic fields can do, and of course the limitations in human perception..

And whatever about the above feelings, but these people have clearly added the cupboards opening scenario to dramatise it. PJ Coogan didn't experience anything of this sort, just the coldness which is easily explained with something believable (read: scientific). And your man McCarthy has jumped on the bandwagon like many would.

These people obviously have some other agenda.

Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Vivara wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe this crap? Stuff flying out of cupboards? Film it for the love of God.

This reminds me of so many stories — one when the BBC said the planet alignment was going to cause a decrease in gravity. 16 friends phoned in to say they had 'experienced' this and floated around the room. The BBC then reported it was an April Fool's Day joke.

I mean the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry has said there is not an ounce of evidence for anything paranormal ever happening on this planet.

There are soooo many scientific explanations for cold 'feelings' that people experience, yet oh yeah — the explantation has to be ghostly.

Anyone check whether something is producing infrasound? Sounds lower than 20 hertz can be produced by things such as extraction fans! Yes, extraction fans! It can produce extreme feelings of sorrow, being watched, extreme anxiety and significant cold/chills. As it would be close to the resonant frequency of the eye, it could cause them to vibrate and produce black blobs, grey smoke, etc., etc.

What about excess levels of carbon monoxide? I mean this has been recognised since 1921 as something which produced the feelings of a haunting. 1921! It can cause problems with the visual and auditory systems...

I won't even mention what changes in Geomagnetic fields can do, and of course the limitations in human perception..

And whatever about the above feelings, but these people have clearly added the cupboards opening scenario to dramatise it. PJ Coogan didn't experience anything of this sort, just the coldness which is easily explained with something believable (read: scientific). And your man McCarthy has jumped on the bandwagon like many would.

These people obviously have some other agenda.

Ed.

Do me a favour will ya? why dont you go down and spent a night in the house and see how u feel after, its pure ignorance to suggest that these people have not been terrorised by some force.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Do me a favour will ya? why dont you go down and spent a night in the house and see how u feel after, its pure ignorance to suggest that these people have not been terrorised by some force.

i don't think you can say someone is ignorant for scoffing at this, perhaps maybe people who believe in haunted houses and poltergeists are ignorant...of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im sure there are many who'd be willing to do just that, and be prepared to video the whole thing - but I wonder what the chances are of that happening. Plus what the chances are that anything would happen. Might try and get in touch with them to see but I suspect (with nothing to back that suspicion up mind you) that a paranormal team wont get in there, unless they had a medium who could also sense whatever evil man is apparently there.

I could be completely wrong about that, but its just 'imo'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

ok let me just say firstly i do believe in ghosts, having seen one. i enjoy visiting haunted places and i do believe they exist!

BUT this story is nothing more than a scam, according to laura/sharon burke (tv3 gave a different name then prendeville) these 'ghostly' things had been occuring frequently, yet in the days of mobile phones, cameras, digital and otherwise, handycams....etc nothing was caught on camera other than an 'orb' of light which even i have on some of my photos taken in bad lighting,

also funny how now everyone is looking at the house the hauntings have mysteriously stopped.

i would be sceptical about these....then there is the fact her own neighbours were saying there was nothing haunted about the house, that it was anti social behaviour in the area.

honestly i think she's trying to make a quick buck and get a new house,

but then people were saying there was a graveyard in the area,

does anyone have information on the area pre-housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The couple were very happy in the house. The spent time and effort doing it up, the school is nearby etc. They're now living with relatives I think so I'd doubt they're looking for publicity.

profitius wrote: »
    The couple were very happy in the house. The spent time and effort doing it up, the school is nearby etc. They're now living with relatives I think so I'd doubt they're looking for publicity.

Not trying to be smart, but how do you know that? If you know them personally, or know their neighbours well, then ok, but if you got that info from the media in anyway, how can you tell it's actually the truth? It just makes the story sound better, thats all.

Actually, the people who are being ignorant are the people who believe in ghosts. There is not an ounce of evidence in support of ghosts, paranormal.

Do you know what there is a lot of evidence for? That there are no ghosts. So whatever about having a different opinion to me, but then calling me ignorant? Anyone with half a brain could tell you that you are the one being ignorant. You are ignoring facts. Yes, they are facts.

I'm not arguing with anyone who supposedly saw ghosts. Because there are significant (yes, PROVEN) scientific explanations as to why you would feel you saw something. I'm not saying you're making it up, you did see something, but it wasn't anything paranormal.

However, as many others have said, these people are clearly fraudsters. And that I do have a problem with.

Ed.

maccored wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart, but how do you know that? If you know them personally, or know their neighbours well, then ok, but if you got that info from the media in anyway, how can you tell it's actually the truth? It just makes the story sound better, thats all.

They said that themselves. It was reported in the Irish examiner today. The guy said himself and the girl's grandfather put "unreal" work into the house. The neighbours are lovely and the school is around the corner.

Actually, the people who are being ignorant are the people who believe in ghosts. There is not an ounce of evidence in support of ghosts, paranormal.

Do you know what there is a lot of evidence for? That there are no ghosts. So whatever about having a different opinion to me, but then calling me ignorant? Anyone with half a brain could tell you that you are the one being ignorant. You are ignoring facts. Yes, they are facts.

I'm not arguing with anyone who supposedly saw ghosts. Because there are significant (yes, PROVEN) scientific explanations as to why you would feel you saw something. I'm not saying you're making it up, you did see something, but it wasn't anything paranormal.

However, as many others have said, these people are clearly fraudsters. And that I do have a problem with.

Ed.

Theres plenty of evidence of ghost and life after death. Hundreds of studies have been done and gotten results. The problem is its completely ignored and people believe theres no evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Theres plenty of evidence of ghost and life after death. Hundreds of studies have been done and gotten results. The problem is its completely ignored and people believe theres no evidence.
    And which peer reviewed journals would I find these hundreds of studies in? I can't find anything on PubMed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Dave! wrote: »
    And which peer reviewed journals would I find these hundreds of studies in? I can't find anything on PubMed...

Even just one solid piece of evidence would do me :) instead of reading hundreds of ifs, buts and maybes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I used to live in that estate and by all accounts it's gotten fierce rough, may be one of the reasons they're looking to get out!

Why would they do up a Council House, surely the council would do that?

They said that themselves. It was reported in the Irish examiner today. The guy said himself and the girl's grandfather put "unreal" work into the house. The neighbours are lovely and the school is around the corner.

I wonder if they really did say that or if it was a bit of info added to flavour the story.

Even just one solid piece of evidence would do me :) instead of reading hundreds of ifs, buts and maybes.

whats a solid piece of evidence? A photo? One of those could be faked. A video? One of those could be faked. How about some audio? That could be faked too so the only way to get a solid piece of evidence is get your very own paranormal experience. Theres a lot of stuff emf and infrasound dont explain.

Dave! wrote:

How exactly do you peer review the paranormal?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

maccored wrote: »
    whats a solid piece of evidence? A photo? One of those could be faked. A video? One of those could be faked. How about some audio? That could be faked too so the only way to get a solid piece of evidence is get your very own paranormal experience. Theres a lot of stuff emf and infrasound dont explain.

None of that rubbish,

I'd love first hand experience, To **** me pants, then take a picture of that, and show everyone I shat me pants because of a ghost. Excuse the language please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

None of that rubbish,

I'd love first hand experience, To **** me pants, then take a picture of that, and show everyone I shat me pants because of a ghost. Excuse the language please.

thats what paranormal investigation is all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Which couldnt possibly be lies.

Especially if they were trying to avoid people seeing the obvious fact that they want a transfer to another house and have no entitlement to one.

At least their being entertaining about it and as far as fakery goes, its not as bad as the shannon matthews thing was!

And where is this evidence? Even the American Committee for Skeptical Inquiry have said said that there is not a single shred of credible evidence for ghosts/paranormal. And may I add that many of those serving in this organisation are those who believe and want to find proof, yet they are committed to taking a responsible, scientific view.

So unless you can link me to a study that has been done — yes even ONE — that is from someone who is somewhat credible, and by someone who hasn't made loads of money from selling a book, then your claims are highly ignorant.

Not as in you are lacking intelligence or being stupid, just that your are 'ignoring' the facts.

Regards,
    Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

hold on a minute, how can there possible be any evidence that ghosts dont exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Uh, yes there is.

Advertisement