Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday beers

• 15-03-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If only we could find a dodgy pub would be such a perfect setting for an A&A beers!

Seriously though any chance of another session in the next while? Missed the last one cause I'm in college in the North but have easter holidays a comin up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Let's all head to your place with some cans and a bottle of Sambuca!

That'll show the Church and their lackeys, the Government! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

This is what you need;

http://keg.ie/p3a.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

A day with the pubs closed is surely no bad thing. I find it pretty distasteful the way some people seem to have the same reverance for the Irish Public House as others would for a Church, Mosque or Synagogue.

Why not have the pubs closed a few days a year? When I take over the country the publicians will be going up against the wall just like the holy men.;)
    Both a shower of b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

studiorat wrote: »
    A day with the pubs closed is surely no bad thing.

in your opinion. I you were a pub landlord set to make a killing over a game of rugby Im sure you'd see it differently.

Anyway, you lot could always just get the Ferry for yer brewskis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

mehfesto wrote: »
    in your opinion. I you were a pub landlord set to make a killing over a game of rugby Im sure you'd see it differently.

Anyway, you lot could always just get the Ferry for yer brewskis.

Or go to the theatre. Viper room on the quays has a theatre license I think they can open on Good Friday. Mind you it's full of gangsters. There was a time where the only Pint to be had in Dublin on St. Patricks day was the dog show in the RDS.

But the pub enjoys a similar place in the national consiousness as the church it would seem. Why not close them down a few days a year. They make a killing the day before and after Good Friday every year so loosing business is hardly a good argument.

A lot of them use the day to do maintenance on the gaff anyway, paint the floors or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I love going to the pub, I'm all up for 24 hour opening if they want. But closing them down every so often I think is a good thing and if it happened a little more often maybe people might get used to the idea of using their brain a little when thinking about going out. And not just going to the pub EVERY time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Studiorat that argument is irrelevant, the problem is why the pubs are forced to close, and that they are forced to close.

No religious idea or tradition should be forced on a multi-denominational populace by the law, why do people not get this?

I'd be in favor of finding a sympathetic publican to the cause to open up on holy magic day and I'd buy a pint or four in there on principal, and let them take the gubberment to task on their unconstitutional law. If only someone were to take the bull by the horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

A day with the pubs closed is surely no bad thing. I find it pretty distasteful the way some people seem to have the same reverance for the Irish Public House as others would for a Church, Mosque or Synagogue.

Why not have the pubs closed a few days a year? When I take over the country the publicians will be going up against the wall just like the holy men.;)
    Well:
    Why not close cinemas for a few days.
    Why not close coffee shops for a few days.
    Why not ban sale of cigs for a week.

Maybe I have not done enough if any research into this, but I haven’t come across a real reason that pubs are forced to close, (a part from the obvious to stop people drinking), why? I mean really what is the religious reasoning for pubs closing?

Does it say in the Bible that Irish pubs are have to close on GF, specifically related to the sale of alcohol as apart from not eating meat?

I realize someone might say “it’s a sign of respect” that’s fair enough, if someone says "lads I not going to the pub tonight as a sign of respect for my religion", AOK. But how can it be a sign of respect if you’re not allowed go to the pub, just gives no argument; it’s forced “respect” not a “sign of respect”.

None of it make sense, it’s just we grow up with it and got used, if pubs are closed lets close Tesco for the day, you know as a sign of respect !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

wow maybe you are all too young but it is not that long ago that all pubs closed EVERY sunday for 2 hours.
    It is not a respect thing or anything like that; it is a control thing pure and simple. we have the power over you and you can do nothing about it.It is long past time that good friday and christmas day closing disappeared.

I expect to be working - Quarter close > religion or lack of it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lynski wrote: »
    wow maybe you are all too young but it is not that long ago that all pubs closed EVERY sunday for 2 hours.
    Sod that. I remember a time in Ireland when you had to go to a doctor to get a prescription for condoms.

And I remember a time when an outfit -- whose managers protected the employees who had been caught kiddy-fiddling -- used to control most of the country's schools.

Oh, wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote: »
    And I remember a time when an outfit -- whose managers protected the employees who had been caught kiddy-fiddling -- used to control most of the country's schools.

History is filled with terrible things that we now know are unaccepta

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's my birthday on Good Friday. For the last time in my expected lifetime (I checked).

So we're having a BBQ and beers in my parent's house. I'm a veggie, but that doesn't mean the rest of my family can't blaspheme in my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

This argument is so tired. You're be a big hit on Joe Duffy. 'Can ye not do without alcohol for one day?' Is the usual line trotted out in defence of this bull**** law. If there is a sound reason other than 'sure it is Good Friday after all, didn't our lord sacrifice his only son to save us from original sin on this day. Couldn't we do something simple in return and not drink wicked porter for one day', I might consider its merits. But there isn't. Pubs close on Good Friday because it's Good Friday. That's it. It forces someone else's religion down my throat and I resent it. Don't get me started on the bloody angelus and the schools!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"But it's only one day!"

One day is one day too many to have my right of free choice trampelled on thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

We should all head to Limerick and watch the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

If you really want a pint on good friday and cant get down to limerick

1. book yourself a cheep ryanair one way flight
    2. and sit in the pub at dublin airport
    3. piss yourself laughing at the person calling out your name as the ryanair flight is about to leave.
    4. stay seated
    5. order another pint.
    6. hay you missed your flight but enjoying a pint on good friday.

Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Limerick pubs granted permission to open on good friday.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/limerick-pubs-to-open-on-good-friday-2111278.html

Road trip baby!

I can't see how the government can justify permitting Limerick pubs to open but not other counties. But it does set a legal precedent. Expect the perminent end to pub closers on good Friday within the next two or three years. Can I get an Amen!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

strobe wrote: »
    Limerick pubs granted permission to open on good friday.

Who would have thought Limerick would end up being in the vanguard of the erosion of religious influence on modern Ireland?

holy_stump_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

If you really want a pint on good friday and cant get down to limerick

1. book yourself a cheep ryanair one way flight
    2. and sit in the pub at dublin airport
    3. piss yourself laughing at the person calling out your name as the ryanair flight is about to leave.
    4. stay seated
    5. order another pint.
    6. hay you missed your flight but enjoying a pint on good friday.

Just an idea.

Dunno if it still happens but years back in Galway the train station was the place to go. Buy a ticket to Athenry (nearest stop) and stay drinking as much as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

robindch wrote: »
    Sod that. I remember a time in Ireland when you had to go to a doctor to get a prescription for condoms.

Oh, wait...

Be quiet, we got the condoms.:)

• Advertisement

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Be quiet, we got the condoms.:)
    You wazzn't living' down de country, boy...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

phutyle wrote: »
    Who would have thought Limerick would end up being in the vanguard of the erosion of religious influence on modern Ireland?

holy_stump_2.jpg

Great photo :)
    And Well done Limerick, forget good Friday, have a Great Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

Irish pubs to open on Good Friday

DUBLIN - As long as Ireland has had pubs, Good Friday has been off-limits as a "dry" holy day — until now. A Limerick judge ruled Thursday that the city's 110 pubs can open April 2 because the city is hosting a major Irish rugby match attracting tens of

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36039504/ns/world_news-europe/

Is this the first crack in the dam? Who is to say that this soccer match is not as important as that rugby match? What if there is an important darts game on Bad Friday? It would be discrimination to place darts fans below rugby fans.

Is there time to hold a quick plebisite and declare the centre of Dublin an honary part of Limerick for a day?

Several Franciscan friars who live in an impoverished housing project beside Limerick's rugby stadium said they might pray, protest and erect the Stations of the Cross — church artworks that illustrate the stages of Christ's crucifixion on Good Friday and resurrection on Easter — outside the gates as 26,000 rugby fans arrive.

I really hope they don't. They're a group of very nice, honest hardworking men and I can only admire the work they do.
    Hope they don't get heckled or abused. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Nevore wrote: »
    I really hope they don't. They're a group of very nice, honest hardworking men and I can only admire the work they do.
    Hope they don't get heckled or abused. :(

Personally, I think if they so get heckled that it's as much their own fault as those that are abusing them. Though I don't condone it.

Not everyone who enjoys rugby is religious let alone christian.
    Imagine the scene if Muslims protested outside the match because people were drinking inside... Are they really THAT out of touch with modern Ireland?!

Protest at mass if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

mehfesto wrote: »
    Protest at mass if needs be.

At the risk of being pedantic, there are no masses on Good Friday, IIRC. There are huge ceremonies in churches, but they are not masses as the Eucharist is not distributed. Can any Catholics here confirm or deny this for me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wacker wrote: »
    At the risk of being pedantic...
    A very large risk, it has to be said. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Conversation after the law has been changed.

We done it.
    What did we do?
    We removed the church law around good friday.
    Thats brilliant what did we win?
    An extra day in work !
    ......... wha ? .....
    But you can drink !!
    I could drink anyway on my lovely day off !! Now i cant drink becuase im in work !!
    What next cancel Christmas
    Yip....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We done it.
    What did we do?
    An extra day in work !
    ......... wha ? .....
    But you can drink !!
    I could drink anyway on my lovely day off !! Now i cant drink becuase im in work !!
    Yip....
    Christmas is a public holiday. Good Friday is not. Many people don't get off work on Good Friday anyway, and most of us that do have to sacrifice an annual leave day for it.

So your point is moot, the two days aren't comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

We done it.
    What did we do?
    An extra day in work !
    ......... wha ? .....
    But you can drink !!
    Yip....

Who in the hell gets a day off work on good Friday? :confused:

Ehhh apart from Jesus, but something tells me he wouldn't have minded doing a few hours in the office instead of......well, you know....

People that work in Banks, public offices, many companies that don't require you to use a days annual leave (before seamus picks that apart) pubs, off licences, night clubs, teachers & students to name a few.

seamus wrote: »
    Christmas is a public holiday. Good Friday is not. Many people don't get off work on Good Friday anyway, and most of us that do have to sacrifice an annual leave day for it.

So your point is moot, the two days aren't comparable.

oh sigh.....Its just a joke FFS :rolleyes:

People that work in Banks, public offices, many companies that don't require you to use a days annual leave (before seamus picks that apart) pubs, off licences, night clubs, teachers & students to name a few.
    Lots of people automatically get every Sunday of the year off. I don't see what difference the fact that some people get it off makes to the issue.

Nevore wrote: »
    Lots of people automatically get every Sunday of the year off. I don't see what difference the fact that some people get it off makes to the issue.

Im not sure what point you are making?. Mine is quite simple lots of people get the day off because its a church holiday removing the church holiday would remove that day off for those people.

Granted if you dont get it off you prob dont care. But i didnt think i had to qualify everything thats posted with a big list of exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I thought the reson for not getting rid that good friday closing was not gotten rid of was due to representations by the unions representing barworkers -etc -it being one of the two statutory days they have off and are closed completely for.

So it may have originally been a religious issue but it changed into a labour issue.

Up until recently most businesses shut on Good Friday and now they dont which means the employees work an extra day for the same money.

You also had holy hour in Cork and Dublin where pubs shut 2-3 0r 3-4 everyday and 2-4 on Sundays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Galvasean wrote: »
    One day is one day too many to have my right of free choice trampelled on thank you very much.
    i really don't see what the fuss surrounding good friday is.

you could argue that it's the pub's rights being trampled on more than yours, as there's no law against drinking on good friday.
    and the amount of time in which you are not allowed buy drink over the course of the year (half the entire day, every day!) easily dwarfs the amount of time you can't buy it on good friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Why doesn't the government legislate that all of the Catholic churches have to be closed for one Sunday a year? Sure it's only one day, and it would allow us all to take stock and reflect. We don't need mass that much, and you can always go the night before.

It does make good economic sense as a third of the money paid for alcohol goes to the government. Now it doesnt bother me either way.

It may be a throwback to the temperence movements and its not just Catholics but Protestants, Muslims and a few other religions don't mind them being closed either.

Everyone except that is the atheists and people from Limerick.

Where were the atheists in 2003 when the Happy Hour Drinks Promotions were being made illegal.

If you are an atheist you really do need a drink on good Friday because of the day thats in it and you should have several, lots and lots in fact.

Ehhh apart from Jesus, but something tells me he wouldn't have minded doing a few hours in the office instead of......well, you know....

And me :D

I think I read somewhere today that Charlie Chalke intends to open his pubs in Dublin of Bad Friday but not sell alcohol. This law could be gone in a year. If all the pubs that sell food open the whole thing is going to look like the farce that it is.

Horse racing is not held in the UK and this is a Good Friday tradition with its roots in the crucifiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

CDfm wrote: »
    Where were the atheists in 2003 when the Happy Hour Drinks Promotions were being made illegal.

Maybe because they weren't being made illegal because your imaginary friends son was being put up for the night by the Romans, and wouldn't have approved of pubs being open in Ireland a few thousand days later. In fact, it might not necessarily be about the alcohol eh? Nah, it probably is. Those crazy atheists want it for their drunken satanic orgies.
    If you are an atheist you really do need a drink on good Friday because of the day thats in it and you should have several, lots and lots in fact.

*nods*

*backs away*

Going to a party on Friday night where the hosts will be serving ham sandwiches.

I might go to the Connacht - Edinburgh game after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I haqd my stag party on Good Friday April 13th 2001 with legal and illegal intoxicants and a full barbecue. I think a good time was had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Wow, the majority of the Irish population must be atheist then! Raging ones!

toiletduck wrote: »
    Wow, the majority of the Irish population must be atheist then! Raging ones!

Did I say Ham Sandwich. Did I, did I.??????

Horse racing is not held in the UK and this is a Good Friday tradition with its roots in the crucifiction.

I suppose ads promoting "Good" Friday should have a tag at the end that goes...

Please enjoy masochism sensibly.

Brought to you by crucifixion aware.com

I suppose ads promoting "Good" Friday should have a tag at the end that goes...

Please enjoy masochism sensibly.

Brought to you by crucifixion aware.com

I cant find a religious reason as to why pubs are closed on Good Friday. Until recent times alcoholic beverages were safer than water.

There are a lot of superstitions about washing on a Friday though.

I cant find a religious reason as to why pubs are closed on Good Friday. Until recent times alcoholic beverages were safer than water.

There are a lot of superstitions about washing on a Friday though.

At one time the Catholic Church burned people alive for eating an egg on "Good" Friday. The McDonalds fishburger was invented as a result of franchisees in Catholic areas complaints at the drop in income on Fridays. It's not that long ago in Ireland every Friday was fish day. Investigating the twisted logic of the Vatican that brought about this situation is an exercise in tracing the history of a 1700 year old mental illness.

A God/Man thing who was its own son visited Earth to get itself nailed to two planks 2000 years ago. He did this because every new born baby has an invisible stain on its invisible "soul" thing as result of a situation that the god thing created in the first place. This situation involved a man misled by a woman who was made from his ribcage. They robbed an apple!

So by getting itself flogged and displayed on two planks, the babies would be "saved" but only if a male who had not used his willy for sex (which the god thing designed it for) poured some water on the babies head.

Therefore you must not eat meat on Friday.

It's so looney people think no one would be so mad as to just make up a story like that.

I have never heard anywhere about anyone being burned for eating an egg -what the fasting meant was limiting the amount of food to two small meals and one large ones. I am not aware of any egg or dairy product restrictions.

I am not aware of any egg or dairy product restrictions.
    You're clearly not very familiar with the history of your own political movement then :)

The Orthodox churches (of the Eastern Roman Empire, versus the Western Roman Empire that you may be familiar with) still stick to avoiding animal-derived protein:

http://greekfood.about.com/od/festivalsholidays/a/greatlent.htm

They also require -- as the Western churches did previously -- that people avoid sex during lent. Thereby giving an all-new meaning to the Easter phrase "he rose again on the third day" :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement