Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday beers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Thats me going to Hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

CDfm wrote: »
    I have never heard anywhere about anyone being burned for eating an egg -what the fasting meant was limiting the amount of food to two small meals and one large ones. I am not aware of any egg or dairy product restrictions.

Read up on the Church but start by leaving the Veritas bookshop.

The Catholic Church Limited has even burned people alive for what they might have been thinking. It's made lists of what you can and cannot do ad nauseam. It's not about eggs: its about a rabid, irrational need to control every aspect of human activity and the means to exercise that control. Even today they have an unending obession about what people put on their willys. For people who don't have sex they spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about it. They must have clerics in the Dome in Rome with binoculars going "hey look what he's doing with his" or "hey over there, I say he's hanging to the left"............:rolleyes:

Read up on the Church but start by leaving the Veritas bookshop.

The Catholic Church Limited has even burned people alive for what they might have been thinking. It's made lists of what you can and cannot do ad nauseam. It's not about eggs:

I didnt bring up" getting burned for eating eggs" you did and it seemed like an interesting historical fact

Burning was a very popular execution method in England where women got burned and men hanged drawn and quartered for crimes of "petty treason". Husband killing and "coining" merited burning.

So I am not disputing that in the middle ages these things happened but they were not specific to religion they happened in civilian life too but the egg eating was a new one on me.

As for the pubs being open and people drinking on Good Friday,I think it should be allowed , if thats what people want.

I didnt bring up" getting burned for eating eggs" you did and it seemed like an interesting historical fact

Burning was a very popular execution method in England where women got burned and men hanged drawn and quartered for crimes of "petty treason". Husband killing and "coining" merited burning.

So I am not disputing that in the middle ages these things happened but they were not specific to religion they happened in civilian life too but the egg eating was a new one on me.

As for the pubs being open and people drinking on Good Friday,I think it should be allowed , if thats what people want.

You said you'd never heard of anyone being burned alive for eating an egg. That's what I was responding to.

Being burned alive became widespread thanks to the Roman Catholic Chruch and their cynical hypocrisy. There was something in one of the books that are collected in the Bible that led to them having to claim that they never spilled blood. Solution; burn people alive.

You said you'd never heard of anyone being burned alive for eating an egg. That's what I was responding to.

And I havent.

I have heard of people being executed by the civil courts in england in the 18th and 19th centuries for stealing chocalate. Witchcraft executions but it seemed to be an English Protestant thing. I never heard of heretic executions/burned at the stake in Ireland. Lots of criminal penalties back in history were fairly gruesome and not specific to religions.

You had executions in the Vatican states and it only came of the Statute books in 1969 after Vatican II. An interesting link to a 19th century executioner.

http://roma.andreapollett.com/S1/roma-c12.htm

And Catholic Church teaching has never been totally anti death penalty either. I had an interesting discussion years ago on the moral and theological aspects with a priest.

But egg eating executions I havent heard of and am interested to see if it actually happened and a source cos I am interested in that sort of thing.

If you cant get the beers in today buying a Euromillions ticket would be equally bad and irreverent, not that it would upset anyone.

I understand a chain of pubs are open today, serving non alcoholic drinks...

bluewolf wrote: »
    I understand a chain of pubs are open today, serving non alcoholic drinks...

Charlie Chawke - the publican that lost a leg in an armed robbery and part of the Sunderland consortium and also triedto put together a syndicate to buy Newcastle United.
    <H1>Chawke’s pubs to open on Good Friday

lg-share-en.gif March 29 2010

One of the country's best-known publicans yesterday announced that he will open a number of his pubs on Good Friday.
    Charlie Chawke will be opening his bars in Dublin, Kildare and the Co. Limerick village of Adare.
    chawkepubStory.bmp
    The Dropping Well in Milltown will be open this Good Friday.
    The pubs, however, will not be serving alcohol, but will offer food and soft drinks for fans watching the Magner’s League match between Leinster and Munster.
    Courts ruled last week that bars in parts of Limerick city would be allowed to serve alcohol on Good Friday.
    Mr Chawke has said he will open his alcohol-free bars in areas not covered by the court order, and that his decision will not be a breach of the law.
    The publican told the Irish Independent: "Good Friday licensing dates back to 1927 and if you look it up you'll see section four where pubs cannot open.
    “But that was superseded by the 2000 act which states that you can open your premises as long as you are only carrying out non-licence business.”
    The Dublin pubs due to open on Good Friday are: The Dropping Well in Milltown; The Goat Bar and Grill in Goatstown; The Orchard in Rathfarnham; The Oval and The Bank in the city centre.
    In Lucan The Lord Lucan will be trading and in Adare, Bill Chawke's and Aunty Lena's will be open.
    This is the first time that pubs will trade on Good Friday, and Mr Chawke said his pubs will be open from 9.00am until 11.00pm.
    </H1>

yeah that's the one
    great idea I think, so people can have some social centre to watch the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RE Charlie Chawke opening up "dry" pubs today, wouldn't it be gas if he allowed patrons to BYO (Bring your own) Beer, wine or whatever? Is it only the sale of alcohol by the pub that is forbidden? I don't know.

I can see a few naggins in the handbag/backpack to add to the allowable soft drinks in any of the pubs he is opening today !! he he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

So what happens to a Christian/catholic thy eats meat/drinks beer on a good Friday? Seriously like, is it just a mark of respect thing?

mehfesto wrote: »
    So what happens to a Christian/catholic thy eats meat/drinks beer on a good Friday? Seriously like, is it just a mark of respect thing?

Nothing really. It was a mark of respect thing and kids,those in physical labour , the old and the ill were all discouraged from fasting. It wasnt a fast either and it was 1 large meal and 2 coalations -small meals.

I imagine part of it was to curb excess during the easter break but the lenten culture may have had its roots in peasant culture with the lack of food waiting for the coming harvest. Giving a spiritual meaning to something that was otherwise distasteful like rationing.

You also had kosher food in Judeaism - which in a hot climate avoiding pork was a good idea because it spoils easily and the rules probably meant a healthy diet.

Another aspect is penance for sins. It may not be not eating meat but could be doing something for someone instead pr performing penence another way.

And I havent.

You had executions in the Vatican states and it only came of the Statute books in 1969 after Vatican II. An interesting link to a 19th century executioner.

http://roma.andreapollett.com/S1/roma-c12.htm

And Catholic Church teaching has never been totally anti death penalty either. I had an interesting discussion years ago on the moral and theological aspects with a priest.

But egg eating executions I havent heard of and am interested to see if it actually happened and a source cos I am interested in that sort of thing.

With the Papal bull Ad extirpanda, Innocent IV reintroduced torture back into the judicial system when it was otherwise dying out.

The Inquisitions stretched from Goa in India to Rome, France, Spain, Portugal and Latin America. These Roman Catholic murder machines, used to fill the Vatican’s coffers, lasted right into the 19th century. The Catholic Church is lunacy covered in a thin layer of gold leaf. They even put dead people on trial.

St. Peters rose brick by brick and the mortar was paid for in blood. In the 21st century in this country they still keep their money intact thanks to the Indemnity Deal and avoid paying for child rape and torture. The Catholic Church never changes. They even brag about that.

http://www.blurtit.com/q531646.html

Other than this, there was a time in the history when anything associated with meat was restricted, which included food like eggs, milk, butter, and cheese.

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/Freedom.html
    .... Catholics also had to abstain from eating any animal products during Lent, including milk, butter, cheese and eggs. People who broke the rules were accused of heresy. The Inquisition tortured people and had them killed for eating meat or eggs or drinking milk during Lent.
    If you cant get the beers in today buying a Euromillions ticket would be equally bad and irreverent, not that it would upset anyone.

Prize bonds are where it's at now. Gamble and get your money back.
    1 million a month and 4500 prizes a week...

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/Freedom.html
    Catholics also had to abstain from eating any animal products during Lent, including milk, butter, cheese and eggs. People who broke the rules were accused of heresy. The Inquisition tortured people and had them killed for eating meat or eggs or drinking milk during Lent.
    Arcus -its not that I dont believe you but I would like to see a reputable source.

My question is for a documented execution of an egg eater or indeed any of person executed specifically for eating those dairy products you mention during let.

Even though its wiki here is a good list but no mention of eggs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:People_executed_for_heresy

Executed today provides another list

http://www.executedtoday.com/category/why/heresy/

The church very much reflected its society at that time. Its not all nice but its what it was.

I think it would be useful for you to read up on the transformation of the Roman Empire. Even just read up on the sucession of Emperors etc and rulers of Rome and you will get a feel for the history.

Arcus -its not that I dont believe you but I would like to see a reputable source.

My question is for a documented execution of an egg eater or indeed any of person executed specifically for eating those dairy products you mention during let.

Even though its wiki here is a good list but no mention of eggs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:People_executed_for_heresy

Executed today provides another list

http://www.executedtoday.com/category/why/heresy/

The church very much reflected its society at that time. Its not all nice but its what it was.

I was'nt happy with those sources myself CD. I'm extremely limited for time at the moment. Of the history books I have I know there is mention in at least two but finding the exact page is just not possible right now.

The Church did not reflect the standards of the time they set them. If the Pope, in a position of supreme power over Emperors and Kings using a Church that was outside their laws did not set the standards then who did? Just as now the Roman Church operated a State within the State to an even worse degree than they do now. If you wanted to get away with murder you joined the Church.

Overall the Catholic church is what the Roman Empire morphed into. How many Italian Popes have there been? Thats where the idea of the supremacyh of the Pope comes from. They even speak the language of Pagan Rome going so far as to use it as a blocker against victims of its child rape tsunami. Minus the short skirts and swords the Catholic Church uses methods developed by the Romans. They allow locals a certain amount of autonomy once they pay a tithe to Rome. The even allow the locals to mix a little of their own religions once they put Romes on top. They make a certain number of laws that must be followed that form the top of the structure and leave the litte stuff to the agents on the ground. If you serve well in the provinces you get rewarded by making it all the way to the capital where you can dress like the ruling class in the Vatican.

I would'nt get too distracted over eggs.

I was'nt happy with those sources myself CD.
    Thats alright -but it would be a find.
    The Church did not reflect the standards of the time they set them..

I disagree - you had kings, nobles , armies,the courts, parliment, and lots of other power structures. They co-existed with others and an organisation will work to ensure its own survival.

Overall the Catholic church is what the Roman Empire morphed into. How many Italian Popes have there been?

lots
    Thats where the idea of the supremacyh of the Pope comes from. They even speak the language of Pagan Rome going so far as to use it as a blocker against victims of its child rape tsunami.

Im catholic and the death penalty for child abusers would not be going to far. Hell, they would have burned them in the Middle Ages.

Take John Atherton Anglican Bishop of Waterford being executed for buggery in 1637 under a law he helped put on the statute books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Atherton
    I would'nt get too distracted over eggs.

It intrigued me and I like quirky facts.

• Advertisement

Thats alright -but it would be a find.

I disagree - you had kings, nobles , armies,the courts, parliment, and lots of other power structures. They co-existed with others and an organisation will work to ensure its own survival.

That kind of statement can't be made about the Catholic Church. In 800 on Christmas day Leo III put the crown on Charlemanges head. It was in gratitude for being rescued. The first seed in the long inexorbiable rise of the Papacy to where it would dominate the Emperors of Europe has been planted.

In 1046 Henry III deposed Pope Gregory VI and put a puppet on the throne. This was witnessed bitterly by Hildebrand. When he became Gregory VII he had to send word to Henry IV seeking recognition. He resented, as Vicar of Christ, having to do this and set out to break the power of Kings and Princes once and for all. The clash came when Henry called a council at Worms. Thats when Hildebrand struck. Up to that Emperors had deposed Popes.
    Hildebrand (Pope Gregory VII)issued a bombshell;
    (by the way he's talking to the god thing here)

And especially to me, as your representative and by your favor, has the power been granted by God of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth. On the strength of this belief therefore, for the honor and security of your church, in the name of Almighty God, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, I withdraw, through your power and authority, from Henry the king, son of Henry the emperor, who has risen against your church with unheard of insolence, the rule over the whole kingdom of the Germans and over Italy. And I absolve all Christians from the bonds of the oath which they have made or shall make to him; and I forbid any one to serve him as king. For it is fitting that he who strives to lessen the honor of thy church should himself lose the honor which belongs to him. And since he has scorned to obey as a Christian, and has not returned to God whom he had deserted holding intercourse with the excommunicated; practicing manifold iniquities; spurning my commands which, as you do bear witness, I issued to him for his own salvation; separating himself from your church and striving to rend it I bind him in your place with the chain of the anathema. And, leaning on you, I so bind him that the people may know and have proof that you are Peter, and above your rock the Son of the living God has built His church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

http://faculty.cua.edu/Pennington/ChurchHistory511/Topic%20Three/GregoryVIIDeposition.htm

Thats is what led to a Pope being in a postion to sell this country to Henry II the Anglo Norman King of England for 1 penny per household at the synod of Cashel. Thats why they are still in a postion to cover up child rape and torture.

It intrigued me and I like quirky facts.

Well in that case if you buy a Hugo Boss suit you'll know why Nazi uniforms looked so well.
    And when you read up on the Falklands war you'll know where the Belgrano came from........it was originally one of the few ships (if not the only one) to survive the attack on Pearl Harbour (I think it was called the Phoenix)

there is a difference betwwen believing in God and your beef with the catholic church.

I have a lovely Hugo Boss coat - whats the deal there my best fit in a suit has been Calvin Klein.

So whats the Hugo Boss connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

The victory the publicans had in Limerick really show were Ireland's priorities lie. The RCC has been raping and abusing Irish people for who knows how long and there still hasn't been any real justice, but 'beggorah, deny me my pint/income on match day and you'll feel the wrath of my sophisticated team of laywers.' This country is a joke.

The bishops who over saw the cover ups are allowed to keep their jobs with out any real challenge but as soon as you deny us our drink/revenue we find the ability to get organised and make something happen. :confused:

Where's the same will and organisation when it comes to ousting these . . . . people?

there is a difference betwwen believing in God and your beef with the catholic church.

I have a lovely Hugo Boss coat - whats the deal there my best fit in a suit has been Calvin Klein.

So whats the Hugo Boss connection

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi uniforms.

It's a shame more people don't think so. People can believe in a god but following the instructions and opinions of a gang of elderly sinster virgins in a gilded palace in Rome makes no sense.

As far as I can remember this week they recall the suffering of a character who is alleged to have lived in the Iron Age. While they are doing that they are trying to cover up the suffering of children they raped and tortured in the 20th century.

Tomorrow morning if I run into archbish Martin I'm going to suggest he log on to countmeout.ie. He won't but I think he should. Thats the kind of shock wave it would take.

• Advertisement

I disagree with you guys on beliefs and your view of the church.

What has always concerned me has been the church and state double act on avoiding prosectutions . All around a dirty underhand business and I find the public servant and garda excuses every bit as distasteful.

Like it or not you have similar issues underway now in the family courts where there is a failure to deal with female perpetrators and abusers even with evidence.

Civil service departments,courts and police are all political power structures and collude with one another. I cant imagine you would get close to a senior guard or civil servant or judge but thats what it would take. All around culpability.

So can you say anything much has changed with the various players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

I was focusing on the church because the good Friday thing was a victory over the church and it's relevant to this thread. I thinks it's ridiculous that, of all the things to bring to court regarding the church, the focus was on money and booze. It really high lights Ireland's skewed priorities.

Yes, there is a problem in Irish culture in that abuse of all kinds are tolerated, covered up and ignored, political, financial and sexual. Not sure why you focused on female perpetrators.

Irish people have a reputation for being rebellious, but we're far from it. We'd prefer to just leave things as they are and not cause too much hassle. It's the attitude of ''Ah sure he might have raped/embezzled/covered up, but sure isn't he a good man all the same and hasn't he done well for <area>'' Don't try to take away our pint on match day though.

I dont think its a victory over the church as take away booze has never been so cheap.

Advertisement