Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused as to what course to do

Options
  • 15-03-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Blah I'm in a bit of a bind.

It wasnt really a problem until recently as I had my mind set on one course but now I'm realising theres somthing else I'd like to do.

What I had planned was to do Government in UCC and do post grads in lie politics and stuff as I love politics and get a huge kick out of it.

But now the idea of film making is emerging for me.I was thinking of doing Multimedia in CIT,but my principal said theres ot much directing per say in it,although it is a good course but that I could do that and then do a post grad somewhere else.

Why I would like to do somthing with politics is becuase I love everything about it,I find it facinating and see it as the ebst way to help people.I love the thought of making decessions and tyring to work out problems and planning developments.

But I'd like to do filmmaking as it would get e out and out,Be a truly creative process and where I could put across storys and ideas.I love being out and about,and Im sure I would be with the above as well but the creativety and the imagination that can go into it is very aluring.

tbh I was a bit close minded and not looking at much courses outside Cork..Gov was 345 last year and multimedia was 325 and I'm aiming for around 360.

So any advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Have you ever thought of going to Trinity? The two subject moderatorship AFAIK lets you study any 2 subjects you want. Included in that are Film Studies and Political Science, so if you like the 2 and cannot make a decision, then why not give that a go? I know it means moving up to Dublin, but if you're serious about both subject and you can afford accommodation, then maybe it's the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

To be honest switching from something like government to film making doesn't sound like a great idea to me. If you'd already had your heart set on film making -and were only considering going for government because you felt you should pick a course with better job opportunities- then I'd tell you to go for it. But the fact you've just changed your mind like this, seems a bit suspect.
    Make sure this isn't a stress-related-change-your-mind-freak-out before you start changing all your future plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Actually twas gov first and then film making and I know it seems like a huge leaps but the each of their choice to myself are quite close((As ghey as it sounds I almost view politics as an art,I found it as a way to combine everything I like,as I would be able to encourage it..but with Film making I cna express it))

The problem with trinity is the points are quite too high for myself:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

arts (film and politics) in NUI Galway was 355 on RS last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

djcervi wrote: »
    Have you ever thought of going to Trinity? The two subject moderatorship AFAIK lets you study any 2 subjects you want. Included in that are Film Studies and Political Science, so if you like the 2 and cannot make a decision, then why not give that a go? I know it means moving up to Dublin, but if you're serious about both subject and you can afford accommodation, then maybe it's the way to go?

Something about the TSM with Film Studies rings a bell about possibly being restricted.

What I would do is keep your courses the way they are and remember that you have until July 1st to change your mind and if before July 1st you want to do Multimedia than put that down #1. Note that you cannot refuse your first choice if you have the points for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

unknown13 wrote: »
    Something about the TSM with Film Studies rings a bell about possibly being restricted.

What I would do is keep your courses the way they are and remember that you have until July 1st to change your mind and if before July 1st you want to do Multimedia than put that down #1. Note that you cannot refuse your first choice if you have the points for it.

I'm also fairly sure that Political Science is not part of the TSM and can only be taken in very specific combinations (Law, History, Geography and as part of BESS and PPES iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually I can see a link between film and politics ... some of the best films ever made have had a (deliberate) political message.

(You all thought I was going to cite Arnie and Ronald Reagan, didn't you? :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Sher what better leaders to have then a terminator and a cowboy :L :L :L

Ahd oooh didnt see that for NUi..thanksfor the helo so far guys :D keep it coming if you have anyother advice adn stuff.

tbh I'm thinking more politics again and hey,hopfully it pays off.If I want to do filming after or during this then shur,I can enter short film competitions and such((With the help of people who have the know how hopfully :o ))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You could do politics for your undergrad and then do a 1 year masters in film. For example, the entry requirements for the UCD MA in film studies is a 2.1 honours degree. Undergrad degree subject is flexible. You would boost your application by having entered the competitions you speak of

Advertisement