Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/advice for applying for part time postgraduate study

Options
  • 15-03-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am a college graduate, I did a BA in English and History in UCC and had planned on becoming a secondary school teacher but this career no longer appeals to me so I was searching other avenues.

It is essential that I can work full time whilst studying part time and I know this will be difficult but I am definitely willing to put the work in and commit fully once I have decided what to do.

I have two ideas at the moment, one seemingly more feasible than the other. Ill start with the first and most difficult choice (the one I feel I would prefer);

I was considering becoming a librarian and in order to study part time the most common method seems to study by distance learning. I have been in contact with the two UK universities that offer this course and they would be willing to accept me on the back of my degree but the chief requirement to be accepted is that one be employed by a library throughout the duration of study. In fact the main requirement is to be employed by a library for at least 6 months prior to applying.

Given the current state of the Public Sector it was hardly surprising that upon enquiring about positions I was knocked back fairly swiftly from community and academic libraries. :( I offered to work free of charge in a work experience capacity to try to gain some experience or make some contacts with a view to gaining employment in the future but every door I knocked on seemed firmly shut.

So as a second option I was also looking into studying Journalism part time but I am apprehensive.

Does anyone have any advice on the best place to study Journalism part time in Cork?

What does it actually entail? I am ok with print journalism but in terms of Radio and TV aspects I am clueless and as I understand it these are compulsory course components.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, comments, assistance (you get the idea!) on either of the topics I’ve raised I would be most, most grateful. I feel so lost as to how to get the ball rolling on either front!

I know that given the current climate things are not easy but I am motivated to carve out some type of career for myself. My decision is not based on potential earnings etc but just that I would like to enjoy my work instead of staying in dead end jobs in which I have no real interest.

Again advice of any shape or form is most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Do what you would like to do. Journalism is by far the most precarious job to get into and stay in. It's totally uncertain and not great in this country at any time. I don't know of any places in Cork, but I could be wrong. I know there's a few in Dublin (DCU etc...). There's also a course run in London by the National Council for Training of Journalists.
    The librarian one, well UCD has the MLIS course so that might be good. I know the public sector is fucked here but again you could get something out of it abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Adnerb666 wrote: »
    So as a second option I was also looking into studying Journalism part time but I am apprehensive.

Does anyone have any advice on the best place to study Journalism part time in Cork?

What does it actually entail? I am ok with print journalism but in terms of Radio and TV aspects I am clueless and as I understand it these are compulsory course components.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, comments, assistance (you get the idea!) on either of the topics I’ve raised I would be most, most grateful. I feel so lost as to how to get the ball rolling on either front!

I know that given the current climate things are not easy but I am motivated to carve out some type of career for myself. My decision is not based on potential earnings etc but just that I would like to enjoy my work instead of staying in dead end jobs in which I have no real interest.

Again advice of any shape or form is most welcome.

Regards journalism,I'm not sure If doing a course is actually necessary. My ex boyfriend is a well-established journalst and he just had a BA English degree. Have you sent any articles into papers or written for your college paper?

Advertisement