Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a credit card in Oz

Options
  • 15-03-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

I'll be arriving in Sydney next month on a WHV and thanks to this forum I'm briefed on getting my tax number straight away and setting up a bank account! I was wondering though about getting a credit card in Australia.

I have my Irish one (which I won't be using til I get off the ground) but have noticed AIB have recently started charging a percentage to convert from different currencies to the billing currency (FFS) -and I resent paying the banks here for anything!

What's the story with getting one down under? Do they have to get a credit check from back here or do they even give them to people on WHV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'll be arriving in Sydney next month on a WHV and thanks to this forum I'm briefed on getting my tax number straight away and setting up a bank account! I was wondering though about getting a credit card in Australia.

I have my Irish one (which I won't be using til I get off the ground) but have noticed AIB have recently started charging a percentage to convert from different currencies to the billing currency (FFS) -and I resent paying the banks here for anything!

What's the story with getting one down under? Do they have to get a credit check from back here or do they even give them to people on WHV?

Your Australian bank can issue you with a Visa or master card debit card linked to your bank account.

You wouldn't get a credit card on a WHV. Unless you commit fraud and give false information.... thats another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Your Australian bank can issue you with a Visa or master card debit card linked to your bank account.

You wouldn't get a credit card on a WHV. Unless you commit fraud and give false information.... thats another story.

Not true - once you are paid enough on a regular basis you will be offered a CC on a WHV without the requirement of being a permanent resident...not as easy here in NZ and i still get screwed using my australian one here (on currency exhange and usage foreign usage fees)...I'm with ANZ by the way

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Not true - once you are paid enough on a regular basis you will be offered a CC on a WHV without the requirement of being a permanent resident...not as easy here in NZ and i still get screwed using my australian one here (on currency exhange and usage foreign usage fees)...I'm with ANZ by the way

Like I said in my previous post... another story.

I had a friend who got a credit card on a WHV (over stayed by 4 years) when he applied they asked was he a permanent resident he lied and said yes.... he got deported about 2 years ago with $6000 unpaid.... it is only catching up on him now... he committed fraud by supplying false information and he thought he was safe in Ireland .....big mistake.

I bank with ANZ myself and when I got a visa card a few years ago (when I was on a 457) I distinctly remember them asking me if I was an Australian Resident and I remember lying and saying yes... all good now though.

Just had another thought... Getting paid on a regular basis means nothing... you have to be in a permanent job....Thanks to the GFC the banks are cracking down on lending out money why would they give credit to someone on a casual job from another country?

I get paid $2000 a week in a permanent job and its a sh!t fight trying to get a home loan for my own place... and thats a secured loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Wrong. I got a 6,000 AUD limit from Comm Bank on a WHV. No lies told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ballooba wrote: »

I also got a CC on a WHV.

ballooba wrote: »

Comm bank is the one Smity used and they are looking their money back.... and hes in Ireland. They are pursuing him over it.

I heard that other people had obtained Credit Card on WHV and done a runner back to Ireland... without paying it back.

$15K limit with ANZ and no lies told, no fraud, no deception - up to $19K now and still use the card although its almost expired

Just had another thought... Getting paid on a regular basis means nothing... you have to be in a permanent job....Thanks to the GFC the banks are cracking down on lending out money why would they give credit to someone on a casual job from another country?

I get paid $2000 a week in a permanent job and its a sh!t fight trying to get a home loan for my own place... and thats a secured loan.

suppose it depends on the bank and whether 2K a week meets their requirement - my GF wasn't granted one on her weekly wage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If the GFC has taught you anything, it should be to spend within your means. If you don't have the money to be in Australia than you shouldn't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Comm bank is the one Smity used and they are looking their money back.... and hes in Ireland. They are pursuing him over it.

I heard that other people had obtained Credit Card on WHV and done a runner back to Ireland... without paying it back.
    Believe me, nobody was more surprised than I that I was approved. I made sure to emphasise my visa status to ensure there were no complications later on. That was in July 2008 so it may be different now. The only caveat was that my credit card expired before my visa. I was also pulling in a few Gs a month at the time as a contractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

What's the GFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What's the GFC?

Galway Fried Chicken

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If the GFC has taught you anything, it should be to spend within your means. If you don't have the money to be in Australia than you shouldn't go.

what on earth has the GFC and monetary requirements travelling to Oz got to do with whether you can get a CC or not?

Just to add - From ANZ website for Visa First and Gold Card

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for the ANZ First Visa, you must:
    Be over 18 years of age
    Have a good credit rating
    Be a permanent Australian resident, earning a minimum annual income of $15,000. If you are a non-permanent Australian resident you must earn a minimum of $50,000

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for the ANZ Gold, you must:
    Be over 18 years of age
    Earn a minimum annual income of $50,000

what on earth has the GFC and monetary requirements travelling to Oz got to do with whether you can get a CC or not?

I would go into it, but this should answer your question.

economics-for-dummies.jpg

I would go into it, but this should answer your question.

so only the financially illiterate use CC's - give me a break - there's a big difference between having a CC and being in debt with a CC...or do you need an image to explain?

there's a big difference between having a CC and being in debt with a CC...or do you need an image to explain?

You're always in debt with a CC. Need me to explain?

why don't you draw me a picture?

where does having a credit card = spending outside of ones means?
    where does having a credit card = shouldn't travel to Australia?
    where does having a credit card = always owe money on the credit card?

Do you have a credit card?

where does having a credit card = spending outside of ones means? It's credit, not your money.
    where does having a credit card = shouldn't travel to Australia? Not saying you shouldn't but you certainly shouldn't be looking to fund a year in Oz with it.
    where does having a credit card = always owe money on the credit card? Banks issue CCs to make money, you will always owe something at the end of the month.

Do you have a credit card? I used to but I got rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Surely they are wasting their time,how can they pursue him over here?

cork45 wrote: »

Australia has a bit of history in dealing with Irish 'criminals'. ;)

Just to add - From ANZ website for Visa First and Gold Card

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for the ANZ First Visa, you must:
    Be over 18 years of age
    Be a permanent Australian resident, earning a minimum annual income of $15,000. If you are a non-permanent Australian resident you must earn a minimum of $50,000

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for the ANZ Gold, you must:
    Be over 18 years of age
    Earn a minimum annual income of $50,000

Thats the one I have ANZ Visa First...

Pretty Stupid to give someone a Credit Card with a $6000 limit just because they say they earn $50,000 a year.

Like a backpacker might do a week of Labouring and get $1000 for it and Qualify for Credit card...

If thats the case they might only do 1 week work the whole time they are here and get a credit card to go traveling and the leg it home...

Makes no sense.... until it catches up with in the long term.

where does having a credit card = spending outside of ones means? It's credit, not your money.
    where does having a credit card = shouldn't travel to Australia? Not saying you shouldn't but you certainly shouldn't be looking to fund a year in Oz with it.
    where does having a credit card = always owe money on the credit card? Banks issue CCs to make money, you will always owe something at the end of the month.

Ha! - your logic is astounding...

re-check your dummy book for the meaning of spending within your means...
    who said anything about funding a year in Oz with a CC?

Obviously banks issue CCs to make money - and make money they do - off people who can't use them and shouldn't have one - sounds like you must of had a responsibility issue with spending within your means when you had one - don't tar everyone with your own brush

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You can have a credit card and not owe any money ..I've had a credit card nearly 10 years and I've never once owed the bank a cent..

cork45 wrote: »

Not sure but he has got a few letters about it.... but if anyone thinks they could just walk away with free money in this day and age they are dreaming.

It will catch up with him in the long term.... he knows it as well.

Thats the one I have ANZ Visa First...

Pretty Stupid to give someone a Credit Card with a $6000 limit just because they say they earn $50,000 a year.

Like a backpacker might do a week of Labouring and get $1000 for it and Qualify for Credit card...

If thats the case they might only do 1 week work the whole time they are here and get a credit card to go traveling and the leg it home...

Makes no sense.... until it catches up with in the long term.

yeah me too - I wasn't offered it until I had a few months pay and savings that met the yearly requirement so i don't think they will hand them out after a week or 2...

You can have a credit card and never owedany money ..I've had a credit card nearly 10 years and I've never once owed the bank a cent..

That logic seems lost on some people - the very people who run into CC problems i'd imagine

Ha! - your logic is astounding...

re-check your dummy book for the meaning of spending within your means...
    who said anything about funding a year in Oz with a CC?

Obviously banks issue CCs to make money - and make money they do - off people who can't use them and shouldn't have one - sounds like you must of had a responsibility issue with spending within your means when you had one - don't tar everyone with your own brush

I only actually used it for internet transactions but with the arrival of debit cards, I had little need for it.

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. I'd just ask the question why would the first thing you'd worry about when arriving in Oz is whether you can get a credit card?

• Advertisement

I only actually used it for internet transactions but with the arrival of debit cards, I had little need for it.

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. I'd just ask the question why would the first thing you'd worry about when arriving in Oz is whether you can get a credit card?

Now that seems like a different question altogether - alot less dramatic than causing the GFC!

although I hear where the OP is coming from - I looked into getting one here in NZ when I got here but you have to be a resident to get one here...I still have my Oz one which I use the odd time but get extra foreign exchange charges

As for Debit Cards, are they still like using credit cards in positive balance? i.e. should you're card be used fraudulently you are liable rather than the banking institution?

Advertisement