Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a credit card in Oz

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I only actually used it for internet transactions but with the arrival of debit cards, I had little need for it.

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. I'd just ask the question why would the first thing you'd worry about when arriving in Oz is whether you can get a credit card?

TBH I was looking for one myself because when I rent cars (a CC [and debit card I'd imagine] is a requirement), etc, I'd prefer not be be hit with a ****ty exchange rate on my Irish CC, that and the visa debits an extra $6 a month at my bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    As for Debit Cards, are they still like using credit cards in positive balance? i.e. should you're card be used fraudulently you are liable rather than the banking institution?

You get less leeway than with credit cards, but if you notify within 48 hours, the liability is something like $50.

TBH I was looking for one myself because when I rent cars (a CC [and debit card I'd imagine] is a requirement), etc, I'd prefer not be be hit with a ****ty exchange rate on my Irish CC, that and the visa debits an extra $6 a month at my bank.

The fact I charged $0.50 on every transaction at the till here as if my card was a CC pisses me off no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    As for Debit Cards, are they still like using credit cards in positive balance? i.e. should you're card be used fraudulently you are liable rather than the banking institution?

If it is used fraudulently then you simply cancel the card and lodge a dispute. If it's under around $50 the bank will just write it off no questions asked as it would be more hassle to do a dispute. If you do a dispute there is a small initial fee which you get back if everything comes back in your favour after a fraud investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

any idea how long a dispute may take to resolve? For instance - say you have $40K in your debit account and for instance you are about to pay for a car or something - somehow this is obtained fraudulently - how long do you have to wait before getting access to the cash to buy your car?

There is still something about direct access to a cash account I am wary of - may be perfectly fine but i'd prefer a CC company take the hit in the interim rather than myself should i fall foul of online theft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

4-6 weeks usually but can be up to 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Xavi6 wrote: »
    4-6 weeks usually but can be up to 4 months.

thanks i think ill stick with a CC for online purchases although I may be forced down the debit card route in a month or so when my CC expires

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You wouldn't get a credit card on a WHV. Unless you commit fraud and give false information.... thats another story.
    Just had another thought... Getting paid on a regular basis means nothing... you have to be in a permanent job.

I was offer a 5k loan and a CC from ANZ, separate occasions, both times on a WHV is a non permanant job, was regularly paid for 8 months plus a large opening balance.

Declined both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    I was offer a 5k loan and a CC from ANZ, separate occasions, both times on a WHV is a non permanant job, was regularly paid for 8 months plus a large opening balance.

Declined both

Yes I agree it madness...

Mellor wrote: »

Declined both

:eek: **** me, what a honey trap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

here are Con banks T&C ... no link as it is on netbank

Who can apply?

You must:
    * Be 18 years old or over
    * Meet our credit rating requirements
    *Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or have a current Australian visitor's visa

What you'll need to complete the application:

*Your gross annual income
    * Your employer's details (name and address)
    * Details of your own home if you have one (estimated value, amount owing on the property)
    *Details of any existing loans (investment property loans, personal loans, leasing, credit and store cards)
    *Any savings, investments and cheque account details (account numbers and balances)
    *Asset or investment details (value of property, shares, car, furniture and other assets)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I had to take my car loan at 13.95% this year because banks won't lend to 457 holders once you've been in the country a few weeks. Nuts.

ballooba wrote: »
    I had to take my car loan at 13.95% this year because banks won't lend to 457 holders once you've been in the country a few weeks. Nuts.

Probably all institutions are wary because so many on WHV walked away with outstanding credit card debt.

Probably all institutions are wary because so many on WHV walked away with outstanding credit card debt.
    I'm on a 457. I would have had no problem if I had taken out the loan when I got the 457 first.

ballooba wrote: »
    I'm on a 457. I would have had no problem if I had taken out the loan when I got the 457 first.

Should not really been a problem, a few of my friends got finance for a car on a 457.

I don't think they mentioned what visa they were on... I think it was just assumed they were PR... well they are now anyway.

Ignorance is bliss.

Still cant get over banks just offering people a Credit Card while on a WHV.... like I heard of people rorting the credit card thing and leaving without paying the money back but I just assumed that they must have lied about their status. Cant believe they would just hand money over to people who had no credit rating and no permanent intention of staying in the country.... unless they are prepared to sell the debt on to debt collectors in Ireland.

Should not really been a problem, a few of my friends got finance for a car on a 457.

I don't think they mentioned what visa they were on... I think it was just assumed they were PR... well they are now anyway.

Ignorance is bliss.
    I did get car finance, but only using the dealer as an intermediary, Comm Bank wouldn't touch me. It was one of the first questions they asked me.
    Cant believe they would just hand money over to people who had no credit rating and no permanent intention of staying in the country.... unless they are prepared to sell the debt on to debt collectors in Ireland.
    I may have had to wait until I had a credit rating. 3 months?

Advertisement