Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

golf sdi - oil out the exhaust

• 15-03-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

my brothers car is a 2001 sdi golf but there is oil coming out the exhaust and when i checked the dipstick its twice over what it should be...
    its still driving ok but i will have to drain the oil and put in some new oil to correct level but i think the harms already done. there a very slight uneven idle coming from the engine but you can bearly hear it...its a sdi not tdi...
    i think the sdi do not have a turbo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes SDI has no turbo. How did extra oil get in to the engine, was someone topping it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Drain the excess oil ASAP then give it a decent drive - hopefully that will sort it out. Keep an ear to the exhaust as the catalytic convertor may be damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

must have been topping up, as stated a very slight noise coming from the engine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Best thing is to get the extra oil out pronto before you start the engine again. Just do that at least.

Once the oil levels are back to normal then I guess all you can do is run it and see what happens.

Though, oil in the exhaust, is there a chance of a runaway? I dont mean to scare monger but its worth talking about it so it can be ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds to me like the head gasket is gone....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

oil renewed and at right level now-still the uneven idling and some oil coming from exhaust. suppose it may take some time to clear the the oil thats left in the exhaust anyway

Advertisement