Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demolition of period house in Navan, Saturday night....

Options
  • 15-03-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Heard a serious amount of noise from my front door at about half eight on Saturday night, went to investigate it, saw a machine digger demolishing the old vet's place on the Trim Road across from Lidl. I'm no expert on demolition and building regulations, but AFAIK, that beautiful old house was a listed building? And is it not illegal to demolish properties after dark without sufficient warning to locals, and the council? Curious about the legality of this particular demolition. A pile of rubble now stands where the finest house on Trim Road now used to be. Anyone any info...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

tha same thing happened in drogheda first it was the old grammer school now the new credit union ,then it was some old buildings on the quay front .dont think anything was ever done about it more's the pity.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Heard a serious amount of noise from my front door at about half eight on Saturday night, went to investigate it, saw a machine digger demolishing the old vet's place on the Trim Road across from Lidl. I'm no expert on demolition and building regulations, but AFAIK, that beautiful old house was a listed building? And is it not illegal to demolish properties after dark without sufficient warning to locals, and the council? Curious about the legality of this particular demolition. A pile of rubble now stands where the finest house on Trim Road now used to be. Anyone any info...?

is this the same house that when the nobody lived there, looked like it had been frequented by all the unsavoury charactors of the town and had the door broken in and all the windows smashed and has been boarded up for god knows how long now. yes it was a beautiful house once but not for a while now, i dont know about you, but i know what i'd sooner look at now, if i had to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 loulah

Did anyone find out who demolished this fine house, was it not listed????

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

loulah wrote: »
    Did anyone find out who demolished this fine house, was it not listed????

I think these people might know....

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/navan-developers-in-shopping-spree-154608.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 loulah

Typical why is this kind of thing never reported. Frank McDonald wrote a good book the destruction of dublin a number of years ago which highlighted this very practice!

• Advertisement

Never mind frank McDonald, he has better things to be doing on a Saturday night, what about the Meath Chronicle: asleep on the job that weekend.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

that article is from 2004.... most of them developers are now extinct

PCPhoto wrote: »
    that article is from 2004.... most of them developers are now extinct

Well, there's a planning notice from them on Murrays Steel from late last year. Took them a while to acquire all the sites they needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Listed structures in Navan

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Publications/PlanningandDevelopmentPublications/NavanElectoralAreaPlanningPublications/NavanDevelopmentPlan2009-2015/File,35583,en.PDF

On another point - Just because "you" think something is a "beautiful old house " is not sufficend grounds to assume something is Listed / Protected, or even to apply to have a structure protected.

Bueaty is in the eye of the beholder, what if someone else thought it was an eyesore? would that be sufficent grounds to have it removed from the street scape?

Why would you assume it is illegal to demolish a building after dark? Having worked in that industry as a labrour when in college I found most urban ans semi urban work was done outside of core hours for access and believe it or not noise reasons

Advertisement