Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City for C&C

• 15-03-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

May I ask what you think of this image, slight PP, handheld Canon 1000D kit lens.

What would you have done different?

Thanks, One2One.

DSCF0162.jpg?t=1268687341

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

TBH, i'd try and get something into the frame that tells the viewer that its Dublin. Or anything of interest in the foreground

I'm kind of drawn to the trees, which aren't really offering anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I'm Sorry, I have to agree with the others. There is too much of the tree in it and not enough of Dublin.
    I think I know what you had in mind, but in this picture I just wander around trying to find a fixed point of interest.
    Maybe with more snow in the front it would have worked better for me.
    And if I see it right there is a rainbow in the middle. Suppose that's why you choosed to put it into the middle. But there is too much without something of interest on the left.
    So I suppose I would have gone maybe even for a portrait (or square) with the rainbow on the left and Howth on the right. Somehow closer to Dublin, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

This looks like a photo of a scene which looks great if you are there, but it doesn't translate well into a photo. (This happens to me all the time...) I like the colours of the redddish trees, and using the branches overhead is a good effort to add interest. Exposure, focus, etc, all fine, but would I frame it & hang it up on my wall? No, because nothing interesting there. I hope this doesn't sound harsh - I always find it difficult to get a beautiful landscape translated into an attractive photo. So its an " I can't sing myself but know a good song when I hear it" kind of critique ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Overall the image is lacking a point of interest, mostly due to the overhanging tree.
    It's a shame, if you were 20 or 30 feet further forward we would have had a nice rainbow and some Dublin skyline to look at. The tree & the little bit of house would have been out of frame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Thanks for all the replies guys. All of which I will note on my return to this location!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Howdy

The forground is underexposed also. You would need an ND filter to expose this scene correctly as the sky is much brighter than the foreground. You could also take two shots on a tripod (1 correctly exposed for the sky and the other exposed for the foreground) and blend them together afterwards. The filter is the quicker and easier way of doing it though.

I'm not sure what you focused on either as nothing looks sharp apart from maybe the tree? You used f22 which is probably a little high for optimum sharpness. I would use f14 in this situation and try and focus approx a third into the scene. This helps to get the entire scene sharp.
    It may also be motion blur as you used 1/40th which would probably be fine for most people but for others a little motion blur can show up.

A tripod would be a good investment as it eliminates motion blur completely. Every landscape shot I have on flickr was taken with a tripod and involves a good bit of setup time as well. If I didn't have a tripod with me I wouldn't even bother pressing the shutter.

Advertisement