Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grizzly Bear - Cork, June 25th

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Heard this a while ago!
    Ah man! Grizzly Bear!
    I'm already seeing Villagers with Wild Beasts but I think they're great.
    Don't know much about Camera Obscura and nothing about Midlake but it looks like a solid gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭techno-allah

That's a majorly impressive line up. Road trip is definitely on the cards.

Snazzy, check out Midlake's album The Trials Of Van Occupanther. Fantastic stuff altogether. New album The Courage Of Others is great also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Grizzly Bear have the best support acts. St Vincent in October and now Camera Obscura, its just incredible. Can't wait for this. Roadtrip definitely called for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Does anyone know whereabouts the marquee (in cork!) is? I want to book some accommodation close to it - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Grizzly Bear have the best support acts. St Vincent in October and now Camera Obscura, its just incredible. Can't wait for this. Roadtrip definitely called for.

I completely agree. Annie Clark was great last year - I'd got my ticket when it initially went on sale, so when she was added later it was a major bonus - and now Camera Obscura's effortlessly likeable retro pop.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

Does anyone know whereabouts the marquee (in cork!) is? I want to book some accommodation close to it - thanks :)

its kind of industrial down around there. not sure of too many hotels nearby but there is surely a few b&bs in the blackrock area. its only 15 mins walk/short taxi to town. Depending what type of place you want to stay in there is a relatively cheap Jurys Inn that is central and all other types all around with Jurys Hotel very nice. Posher places then include The Kingsley and Halyfield Manor. Cork is small enough and compact with everything within walking distance! Check the cork forum for more info on hotels.

This thread has some names:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055743825

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

Can't wait for this on Friday. Could well be the gig of the year.

Just wondering - does anyone have any idea of doors / stage times. Want to make sure I'm there early enough to miss nothing and with 4 bands playing I'm interested in knowing what time it's kicking off and how long each band will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

deeks wrote: »
    Can't wait for this on Friday. Could well be the gig of the year.

Just wondering - does anyone have any idea of doors / stage times. Want to make sure I'm there early enough to miss nothing and with 4 bands playing I'm interested in knowing what time it's kicking off and how long each band will get.

Not 100% sure about this gig but I went to JLS [won free tickets, don't fault me :P] and it said on the tickets to show would start at 8, we got there about 6 so got pit passes [yes there is a pit :D] and we were left inside about 6:45, then general admission were left in around 7:15, a DJ was supposed to come on at 7:30 but he came on at 8 and played until 8:30, then JLS came on at 8:45 and finished up at 10:25 because the Marquee has a curfew this year supposedly where they're not allowed to finish up after 10! So I'm guessing the bands will be allowed to play onto 10:30-ish. Ring Aiken Promotions to find out the exact times though, and I'm sure they'll tell you. :)

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure about this gig but I went to JLS [won free tickets, don't fault me :P] and it said on the tickets to show would start at 8, we got there about 6 so got pit passes [yes there is a pit :D] and we were left inside about 6:45, then general admission were left in around 7:15, a DJ was supposed to come on at 7:30 but he came on at 8 and played until 8:30, then JLS came on at 8:45 and finished up at 10:25 because the Marquee has a curfew this year supposedly where they're not allowed to finish up after 10! So I'm guessing the bands will be allowed to play onto 10:30-ish. Ring Aiken Promotions to find out the exact times though, and I'm sure they'll tell you. :)

Thanks for that. Interesting that there was a pit at JLS yet I was at Megadeth last week and there was no pit. Seems to be a bit arse about face if you ask me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

deeks wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Interesting that there was a pit at JLS yet I was at Megadeth last week and there was no pit. Seems to be a bit arse about face if you ask me :)

I'm guessing its because JLS was sold out for both nights, so they probably had to limit the amount of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Hi,

Anyone any idea what time this will finish at?

Also, any pub recommendations for a few scoops afterwards :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Finishes at 12 according to the Aiken website.. Set times are up there too..

There's a gig on in Cyprus Avenue that's free to anyone with a ticket stub from Harmonic.. But I think that may actually have been starting a bit earlier than 12..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

From Aiken website...

RUNNING TIMES:

GRIZZLY BEAR: 10.45 -12.00am
    MIDLAKE: 9.00 - 10.15pm
    CAMERA OBSCURA: 7.45 - 8.30pm
    VILLAGERS: 6.30 - 7.15pm

DOORS: 6pm
    (Times maybe subject to change)

Looking forward to this one! :D

From Aiken website...

RUNNING TIMES:

GRIZZLY BEAR: 10.45 -12.00am
    MIDLAKE: 9.00 - 10.15pm
    CAMERA OBSCURA: 7.45 - 8.30pm
    VILLAGERS: 6.30 - 7.15pm

DOORS: 6pm
    (Times maybe subject to change)

Looking forward to this one! :D

Thanks for that. Heading down to Cork at 12 so plenty of time for a couple of pints in town and on to the Marquee for 6.

This was my most anticipated gig of the year and I don't think it's going to let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

That is a really amazing line-up. Very jealous of anyone heading down there. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

what kinda of music should I expect to get if i went? Never heard of any of the bands playing but people here seems pretty stoked I might just head along and check it out

what kinda of music should I expect to get if i went? Never heard of any of the bands playing but people here seems pretty stoked I might just head along and check it out

I always find it hard to describe music but they would be all guitar, drums, keys bands, good vocals and sign along to.... Not hard rock or jumping round but the crowd should be well up for it so should be a good atmosphere... The 4 bands would be all in the same broad genre so if you like one you will like them all. This is my favourite Grizzly Bear song, the Veckatimest album is all quality... and some more... well worth the 35 euro... buy your ticket in pro musica on oliver plunket street and save on booking fees....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tipex

this is going to be so great, im so excited

• Advertisement

Fantastic gig last night. I thought Midlake were superb and wasn't sure if Grizzly Bear were going to match it but then they came on and absolutely ripped the place apart.

Kudos also to O Emperor who put on a great show in Cyprus Avenue afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Great, great gig. Midlake were the band that I was least familiar with but they were fantastic. I'm a big fan of the other 3 bands and they were really great to but Midlake took the biscuit but only just.

And a big shout out to the Angel at the front barrier who provided amazing eye candy for the evening :D

Advertisement