Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 euros via paypal if you can fix my problem

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Hopefully this isn't against the rules. I'm sick of computer building never working for me - wanna get this one fixed tonight now.

Basically I've just bought a new motherboard - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS P5Q SE2 iP45. Tried to install it - everything is in, connected up and fine (as far as I can see). Turn on power, green light comes on[/FONT] on the motherboard. Turn on power on pc at front and nothing happens. I have all of those tiny little cables plugged into the motherboard, so I can't understand what it is. I tried turning it on without the ram, with 1 stick of ram, and with no graphics card too, but no difference. Seems to be I'm not plugging something in correctly.

Whoever can fix it so that my pc turns on, will get 20 euros via paypal as a thank you. If a moderator wants to hold the 20 euros for me and give it to whoever fixes the problem then no problem at all

Have a look at the pictures and see if I'm doing anything wrong please :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

double check the small cables that the power switch is going into the right one? Double check the manual to make sure you have the right one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No need to be offering money, thats silly. I'll happily try and help!
    So whats your full spec i.e. PSU, RAM, GPU etc
    It looks very messy from the pictures, it may be a good idea to take the motherboard out of the case and try and run it barebones. One other thing is I cant see if there is an 4pin power plug like this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First pic: might be wrong (hard to tell with the cable clutter!) but I don't see any PCIe cables going into the graphics card...

EDIT: Can't see it in any of the pics. The machine can't boot without it!

EDIT AGAIN: Mobo ATX12V (4pin CPU) connector's definitely AWOL as well :o As there's virtually no power going to the CPU without it that'll throw things off no matter what graphics you're using!

Solitaire wrote: »
    First pic: might be wrong (hard to tell with the cable clutter!) but I don't see any PCIe cables going into the graphics card...

Yep definitely looks like there no power cables going to the graphics cards, although with knowing what graphics card it is it may not need extra power input? Another thing to try is unplug the power switch cable and try and start your pc by shorting the power pins with a screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

well spotted solitare but the 4 pin on the mo/bo is not in either check the 3rd and 4th pic :D

you edited just before my post ah well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

Sorry guys, using:

Thermaltake Armour
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 2048MB x 2
    OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS P5Q SE2 iP45 Socket 775

@Solitaire - you're right - pci e cable plugged into the graphics card now

I didn't check the cables are going into the right part of the mobo for the small power button cables - does that matter much?

[/FONT]

Sorry just to let you know, the graphic card now has that small power cable plugged into it now (https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38239/107751.jpg)

I didn't check the cables are going into the right part of the mobo for the small power button cables - does that matter much?

Absolutely, you need to push the power button to start the PC!
    Check the manual and find out where front panel cables should go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

You need to plug the cable circled in red into the 4 pin socket circled in blue.

Hope this helps

fixpc.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sorry guys, using:

Thermaltake Armour
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 2048MB x 2
    OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS P5Q SE2 iP45 Socket 775

@Solitaire - you're right - pci e cable plugged into the graphics card now

[/FONT]

Yup. Pc wont turn on unless the power witch is in the right one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hard to tell for sure from the photos as I am not too sure about the wire colours of that case, but looking at this, and photo 3, it seems to me like the power switch (PWRSW) cables are not in the right position either - the PWR pin does not look covered in the photo.

Absolutely, you need to push the power button to start the PC!
    Check the manual and find out where front panel cables should go

Ok, readjusting them now.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Hard to tell for sure from the photos as I am not too sure about the wire colours of that case, but looking at this, and photo 3, it seems to me like the power switch (PWRSW) cables are not in the right position either - the PWR pin does not look covered in the photo.

Thanks, I have that totally wrong, so thats most likely it.

Updated photos now guys - all the rest of the cables are plugged in. The graphics card is now plugged in, and the 4 pin power beside the cpu is now plugged in too. I'll check that circuit diagram and put that cables all in correctly....why do I put myself through this lol..

Ok, put all of those cables in correctly like this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/273605-13-asus-circuit-diagram

Turned on power button. Everything lit up, fans spun for half a second, then nothing...hmm...

Just tried again, looked at the front. Power on at the back, press the power button at the front, the lights come on on the front of the pc for like half a second then off, and nothing happens

Put the second memory stick in...

Not in the next slot, left the next one empty and put it in the one next to that.

ie there's 4 slots. It should go 2 gig module - empty slot - 2 gig module - empty slot

Not in the next slot, left the next one empty and put it in the one next to that.

ie there's 4 slots. It should go 2 gig module - empty slot - 2 gig module - empty slot

Both memory sticks now in thanks ;) Seems to be a power issue maybe? I have everything connected up - graphics card now has power, cpu has power, all the power button connecters are connected correctly...?

Both memory sticks now in thanks ;) Seems to be a power issue maybe? I have everything connected up - graphics card now has power, cpu has power, all the power button connecters are connected correctly...?

Put up another few pictures and we'll see if anything stands out...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just tried again, looked at the front. Power on at the back, press the power button at the front, the lights come on on the front of the pc for like half a second then off, and nothing happens

I could and hope im wrong but that happened me before and turned out to be a faulty PSU.

think you need to try doing it barebones, ie disconnect all the extra fans and the hdd's . send power to mo/bo and graphics only, also take all the cables for the case out and use only the power switch , you dont need the rest to start it. if that works try adding everything else after

Heres some more photos, I'll try disconnect everything and go from scratch and see so

What should I have to try from scratch? Power to the motherboard, graphics card and cpu right? Do I leave the tiny cables for the power button still in? Also, do I need that tiny cable for the internal speaker still plugged in?

(The PSU was working fine for the last 2 years - it was working about 2 hrs ago on my other mobo)

• Advertisement

Heres some more photos, I'll try disconnect everything and go from scratch and see so

What should I have to try from scratch? Power to the motherboard, graphics card and cpu right? Do I leave the tiny cables for the power button still in? Also, do I need that tiny cable for the internal speaker still plugged in?

(The PSU was working fine for the last 2 years - it was working about 2 hrs ago on my other mobo)

the only cable you need from the case is the power switch the rest can be added later. and power for mo/bo , cpu and graphics or you could see if the mo/bo has onboard graphics and take out the card to see if it could be a mo/bo issue

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Only leave in one stick of RAM, leave the power cables alone except for those going to drives, also take the data cables out of the drives. Leave the other little wires as they are for now. Also take the little coin battery out of the mobo for a minute, press any CLR_CMOS button/jumper if your mobo model requires it, then reinsert the battery and try to start up the machine.

OK guys, took out my wireless adapter and its all turning on! Woo! Lets see where we go from here so!

Noodletop you may have fixed it! 5 mins and we'll see now :)

YESSSSSSSSS!

At the windows boot screen installing windows once again. Thanks so much guys - really appreciate it.

Not sure who gets the 20 euros - Solitaire and Noodletop, you guys ok splitting it?

Thanks to everyone else who helped aswell guys, really I do appreciate it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Have you tried shouting at it. That usual works for me.
    A good round of calling it a fecker gets the job done in 2 min.

YESSSSSSSSS!

At the windows boot screen installing windows once again. Thanks so much guys - really appreciate it.

Not sure who gets the 20 euros - Solitaire and Noodletop, you guys ok splitting it?

no probs :Dthis is supposed to be a community where other boards people help out so i dont want any money thanks and im pretty sure solitare agrees with me. go buy yourself a pint and enjoy your pc:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Spend the €20 on a screwdriver kit, don't be using a butterknife. :D

(Second pic in OP)

noodletop wrote: »
    no probs :Dthis is supposed to be a community where other boards people help out so i dont want any money thanks and im pretty sure solitare agrees with me. go buy yourself a pint and enjoy your pc:P

Thanks very much guys :)
    69 wrote: »
    Spend the €20 on a screwdriver kit, don't be using a butterknife. :D

(Second pic in OP)

Haha just moved into this house so couldn't find the screwdrivers lol. Probably didnt help to use a butterknife lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Glad you got it sorted man and even more glad my hunch of a screwed PSU was wrong :)

Advertisement