Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom upload speed upgrade?

• 15-03-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to upgrade upload speed on Smart telecom broadband? And any ideas how much would it cost? I e-mailed them, but answer will be only tomorrow, but I have to decide today, wether to buy server or not.
    So please help.
    Currently I have 40 kb/s upload
    900 kb/s download.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's a server you want to run, you will not be allowed to run it from your home connection. You'll need to rent a server for whatever application you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Why I wont be allowed?

btw it's just a server for website and few slots of Counter Strike Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

arleitiss wrote: »
    Why I wont be allowed?

btw it's just a server for website and few slots of Counter Strike Source.

No ISP allows you to run a webserver on a residential package.

Smart's maximum upload is 1Mbps and to upgrade to that it is €10 per month - http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx

But you need to be on their LLU (on-net) packages to be able to upgrade.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

arleitiss wrote: »
    Why I wont be allowed?

Its against every residential ISP's Terms & Conditions, while you likely could run it if they found out they'd have the right to Terminate your service and if you were in contract they would be well within their rights to charge you a Termination fee also,

Why not just rent a deadicated server, it'll give you far better upload/download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your upload speed is also subject to the contention and/or capacity issues. This would make your server unreliable. Also, the increased usage would likely bring you close to, or over your monthly cap, at which point you'll be disconnected to speed limited, also making your server crap.

Do it the right way, rent a proper host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I have the 1mbs upload package - and in practice - on a speed test - it measures as 600k!!!

So - I'm not sure it's worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

turbot wrote: »
    I have the 1mbs upload package - and in practice - on a speed test - it measures as 600k!!!

So - I'm not sure it's worth it.

Same here, I'm on the 5mb/1mb for €52, thinking of switching to 7mb/512k for €47, 2mb faster download speed, €5 cheaper and only slightly slower upload.

Advertisement