Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clerical Child Abuse Thread (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

I 'read' what your saying, I'm asking for hard evidence, that corruption is from the bottom up to the Pope! not speculation!!! I'm also the RCC by virtue of being a fully participating member, so you are saying the CC as a whole then is corrupt, or just some of it's members!!

I too hope justice is served!!!

Firstly, cover-ups make it difficult to obtain hard evidence and secondly, there is no evidence other than what you 'read'.

There are testimonies, admissions, paper trails, all of which indicate a problem.

Then there is the failure of Church and State to act in the interests of justice; and their attempts to 'sweep away' the issue of paedophilia in the church.

Didn't you notice how the Vatican stepped up its language of appeasement? They started off saying there was no problem... it didn't wash. Then they admitted that there were errant priests but they were few and not representative of the church... that didn't wash either. Then as the Ratzinger letter, gagging-contracts that the church authorities forced children to sign, and all sorts of other documentation came out, the Vatican modified its language again. At every step trying to concede as little as possible and just enough to get them out of the spotlight.

But the lights got brighter and the official Church position got fuzzier. It is not unreasonable to interpret the Churches actions as condoning paedophilia. It seemed like they would only admit what was already known.

'Yes', they'd say, and they'd acknowledge something but claim there was nothing more. More comes out and they acknowledge that, but there is nothing more. Then more comes out...

By effectively 'lying by omission', the Vatican lost credibility in right-thinking minds.

That's reasonable, isn't it?

At best, the church engaged in protectionism (at the expense of the children) and baulked at exposing its hypocrisy and at worst, the church sponsors paedophilia.

My own opinion is that paedophiles see the church as a free-pass to children with added protection that is not available to teachers and relatives of children. It is an exclusive club, being a priest, and canon law supercedes state law.

Perfect.

It needs to be dealt with. Forcibly if necessary; the State should threaten the position of the church and force it to take part in an open enquiry and procedures should be put in place to stop the problem re-occurring.

I'm not saying that every member of the RCC hierarchy is corrupt and would say that most are well-intentioned but there is something wrong somewhere in the upper eschalons. There is a lot of smoke but there is resistance to calling the fire-brigade. It looks like a duck, quacks like a duck but we're told it's a swan. The lady doth protest not enough. Pride come before you try to hang on to power.....

Most Catholics are just people. Common, everyday, garden-variety people who just want to get on with their lives. And some Catholics are people with great power. And strange tastes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

wolfsbane wrote: »
    ISAW said:

Here we had MI5 allowing paedophiles to run an boys' home and abuse the boys. (Any other abuse MI5 engaged in is not the subject of this thread). It seems they allowed this to run to blackmail politicians ( must be a big number of them involved in sexual perversion), rather than mere protection of the pervert McGrath.

It was a despicable act, but hardly unique in the annals of any state security service. Yet, if it was shown that this happened on a scale like in the RCC, governments would fall and jails would fill with both politicians and government agents.

wolfsbane would you plese leave in a link to my original message so I people can check you are quoting context.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72697401&postcount=1010

And I would prefer if you put you comments ( the bit in red) on my words outside the quote box.

As regards you comment that
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72721501&postcount=1055
    Yes, I should have said I was speaking about our modern western societies. Here it is power and secrecy that enable abuse

If abuse was not about power and secrecy in ancient Greece and yet was still abuse what is the significance of attaching the quality of being a powerful group to abuse if it isnt a defining factor. the only one I can see is to tar a powerful group with being immoral just because they are powerful. i.e. attack the Church on the basis that it is powerful and all powerful groups are immoral. But you already admitted power and secrecy aqre NOT the source of child abuse.

You then change to saying this was only in "Modern Western" society. Do you believe in relative morals an that some time in the future in a society child abuse will be acceptable. The Church position is that it is always wrong.

TO take your own words:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72721501&postcount=1055
    If it was not power that led to the abuse and kept it covered, what was it?

saee the think is cerical offenders were not operating internet rings like organised modern western pedos. I have discussed this with people from the mental health fraterniuty abroad who oversee such offenders. their opinion is "arrested development". The y view many such offenders as not having emotionally developed and having a childish psyche.
    True this may manifest in power in a minority of cases but certainly not in large political power structures which would require adult manipulation. I really don't think you "they are pedos because they are in power" argument is a runner as the causal factor.
    But what is the comparison with the RCC? What reasons did it have for covering up the abuse and allowing the perpetrators to continue abusing?

It didn't have any reason for continuing abuse and it didn't have a policy of covering it up.

Of the ten thousand or so bishops worldwide maybe as many as ten believed ( along with the other non Church elements of society ) that not mentioning it and moving the offender might just make the think go away . One might compare homosexual members of the Aristocracy a century ago or say a member of the Royal family doing drugs today. It might well be hushed up and the "bad elements" removed or paid off or people allowed to get away with it in isolation.
    [/quote]
    1. It thought itself far above all such minor details, thought its people ought to put up with it as a price for a celibate priesthood?

There is no evidence for that. In fact ther is very ancient evidence of the opposite i.e. of church rules deploring child abuse.
    2. It sympathised with the perverts, for many of the bishops/papacy had engaged is it themselves?

Not "many". I'm not aware of any popes who were child sexual abusers. There have been 265 popes. excluding anti-popes how many of these do you assert were child sex offenders?
    3. Something else?

"Something else" assumes a coverup by the Church worldwide. There wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

ISAW wrote: »

How can you say this when abusers & rapists were shielded from criminal prosecution and actually given posts where they could continue to abuse???

ISAW said:

The only form of the above that is abuse is sex-slavery. All the wife-swapping, dogging and prostitution are voluntary perversions.

If an adult willingly takes part in slavery or perversion it may not be illegal but still be immoral. Also, feminists regard prostitution as abuse of women whether they consent to it or not. http://www.feministissues.com/
    Radical feminism opposes prostitution on the grounds that it degrades women and furthers the power politics of the male gender. Feminists seek to be supportive of sex workers while deploring the work itself as inherently wrong.
    Can the members remove pervert priests and bishops? No. Therefore the overwhelming blame for the cover-up lies at the door of the bishops, especially the papacy.

But they can't remove them either! Once ordained it is forever! If you mean "can they remove them form Temporal office". Yes non clergy can. Indeed non clergy can attain any office in the RCC except Pope. all other temporal offices can be held by laity. A cardinal for example is a temporal office. Also while non clergy cant hold ordinary power in spiritual matters e.g. they can't act as a Bishop non clergy can elect Bishops What do you think "vox populi" means?
    All power tends to corrupt.

We have been over this. The "They abused children because they were in power positions" is a non runner! In fact none of the abusers were in senior positions. As many as ten maybe people in senior positions who did not abuse did take part in a "coverup" in so far as they moved the offending Cleric ( with the knowledge of the parents). at the time both state authorities and psychological advice was to remove the offender usually to a mental institution. In some rare instances the cleric was allowed to continue in office resulting in more horrific abuse.

In fact if anything you have it wrong way around. Someone who was [already a pedo gravitated to a job which involved children. In 99 times out of 100 this was a teacher swimming instructor policeman etc. In one case in a hundred or less it was a a clerical job. Power didnt cause the pedo Pedophilioa caused them to look for positons of power over children.

As I read it, all the bishops involved in the investigations took part in the cover-up,
    including the papacy.

Where did you read that? It didn't happen everywhere so we don't have a loarge proportion of Bishops but take Dublin. In Dublin ther were four arch bishops and about sixteen ( my guess there are less clergy and currently six bishops you can get the detalis here: http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/ie.html ) over the last 50 years
    Ther were four Archbishops two of which knew. there is no evidence of the other 16 Bisjhops knowing or assenting to any cover up much less the 100 or so other Irish Bishops over the period. We also know that other Archbishops in other Diocese knew about other cases in their own diocese.

There was no central register in Ireland or the Vatican of offenders.
    There was no state register in Ireland of offenders clerical or non clerical.
    No POPE was involved in making any decisions about clergy in Dublin or aware of what happened there.

It is possible that some bishops never knew any abuse took place in the RCC, but I think that rather unlikely.

Why? If everybody knew then why were you not out on the streets in the 1970s 80s and 90s with all this? The reports list the people who knew and the numbers of clergy who knew were small. true they made errors in what they did but they were not representative of Church policy.
    I think it just as likely that some of the bishops had been paedophiles themselves, and so sympathised with the perpetrators and enabled them to continue elsewhere.

There is no evidence for this pure conjecture!

MrPudding wrote: »
    Wow, are you really not getting this? Whataboutery is when you refer to the deeds of someone else to try to deflect from your own actions, or those of the organisation you are talking about. Talking about other elements of the same issue, by the person raising the issue, is not whataboutery.

So when it suits you other elements like "numbers of non clergy involved in child abuse" are not part of the same issue and "numbers of Bishops and priests not involved in child abuse or not knowing about it" are not part of the issue but state laws in the UK nothing to do directly with child abuse in Ireland are part of the issue and only clergy are part of the issue?

How can you talk about a level of abuse of clergy is you don't compare it to non clergy.

We have been over all this before and by your own admission you hate the church. It is quite clear you only want to address the victimisation of children in so far as it can be use to damage the Church. You are not interested in the victims of abuse per se but in picking a tiny per centage of abusers so you can try and blame the whole Church for abuse and link the entire hierarchy to the failings of a tiny minority of church officials and an even larger number of non church officials.
    All elements of the 1%. All still talking about the 1%. All still talking about clerical sex abuse.

No because the "cover up " as you call it extends to non abusers most of which were non clergy as well.
    why is clerical abuse and onlythe clerics who responded badly to it and not the non clerics so significant to you? The answer is obvious.
    I am interested in the other 99%. I expect the authorities to deal with them.

I expect the authorities to deal with the 100% and treat them all equally under the law But you it seems have a special final solution to your clerical problem.
    As I previously mentioned, if you want to discuss the other 99% open a thread about it and perhaps I might join in. I am interested in the 1% and I am discussing here, in a thread about the 1%.

No it isn't and I showed you why. Which you conveniently forgot! Who is covering up now?

ISAW said:

Wife-swapping is not cheating on your wife - she is engaged in it. As for women 'having' to work as prostitutes, any interviews I've read showed they choose to do so to avoid boring/low paid jobs, or to fund their drugs habit. Not abuse, but self-abuse.

Encouraging people to debauchery is not abusing them? curious.
    It is the office we are speaking of - the position of power that enables abuse. The bishops/papacy did not remove them from such positions, but rather quietly moved them to new positions to continue the abuse.

Vox populi can remove such people from temporal office. It has not happened.
    They wqere not in all cases moved to a similar position elsewhere. They were in some cases and that was wrong. The Pope did not decide on such moves.
    No false premise, and it does follow. Who do you think bears the primary blame for the cover-ups?

What coverups? Do you refer to moving of offenders to positions in which they could re offend? Care to list say ten cases and Ill tell you who I think is responsible or who should share blame whether Bishop, local administration, social worker parents or whatever.
    The victims? Their parents? The priests who knew? Anyone but the bishops and papacy?

Depends on the case. Bishops didnt know in every case. when they did they acted on professional advice bt they no doubt share blame. I am not aware of the Papacy being involved in moving a priest. Could you enlighten me on these cases?
    What a strange thing to say! It is a truism that power tends to corrupt: corrupt in the moral sense, not in a lack of order.

You are just taking a Cliché from a British Baron born into privileged. The double irony is he wrote those words to a Bishop.
    in which he stated:
    I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men, with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption it is the other way, against the holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely... My dogma is not the special wickedness of my own spiritual superiors, but the general wickedness of men in authority—of Luther and Zwingli, and Calvin, and Cranmer, and Knox, of Mary Stuart and Henry VIII., of Philip II. and Elizabeth, of Cromwell and Louis XIV., James and Charles and William, Bossuet and Ken.
    No, nothing to do with rules or order. Moral declension. Protecting the perpetrators and enabling them to continue.

So you believe in absolute morals and things being always wrong and this being corrupted i.e. changed from the perfect over time

But was it not you who referred to "modern western" societies having different standards to ancient greece fior example in sexual practice?

So then are you accepting corrupted standards or is it the opposite that modern societies have improved on earlier moral standards due to their power structures? forgive me is i confuse your posts with those of another.
    Not from what I've read.
    What did you read? Where?
    And each priest did not commit one offence - it was years-long multiple offences. Offences that often continued after the bishop became aware of the original offences.

I am not arguing that clerical offenders were mre likely to have multiple victims. I have shown that to be statistically accepted. But I would argue that this was because they had more access (e.g. to a whole school or parish) and no convincing statistical argument exists that multiple victims were caused primarily because the cleric was moved.
    I grew up with the threat of WW3, and later with the Troubles. I had personal friends maimed and murdered. But I would not have covered-up sexual abuse of those in my care - much less allowed it to continue. It would have been at least as big on my horizon as the other problems around me.

You opinion and it is a decent one but you cant say it is representative.
    Did the British and US intelligence cover up the genocial slaughter of Prussians by Stalin's forces in order to maintain them winning the war? Was the Dreyfuss case covered up because he was a Jew? So then political ramifications can result in cover up.
    I seem to recall several in Ireland alone. And many in the USA, Germany, Belgium, Australia - and of course those who knew in Rome. It will be interesting to find out what has been happening in all the other countries of the world.

It would. Rather than believe conjecture and media hype and atheists who have an "I hate the church" agenda and did little or nothing for people in the developing world.
    No, I suggested some of them were. Remember, the bishops were once priests too - if my understanding of Catholic hierarchy is correct.

But the "move them" solution was based on the idea that people could be "cured" of pedophilia. If you are suggesting Bishops one were abusers and then stopped you are suggesting that policy was valid. are you?

MrPudding wrote: »
    The covering up of the abuse is part and parcel of the abuse. it is one thing.

But the actual abuse by non clergy is NOT the one thing? LOL
    Why is only the one per cent of clerical abuse and the minority of clerics involved in the failed reactions ( and not the majority of non clergy involved in decisions or the successful reactions) of interest to you? Obviouslyt you are not interested in victims bt only in attacking the Church.
    This may be the only place to discuss other abuse in this particular forum, but it is not the only hread in boards.

Whi is covering up now? You said it before and you were show you were wrong and you tried it again and you were show you are wrong. Now you resort to "I meant in another forum" . I don';t believe you and I believe you are using "weasel words" which you accused others of!

This is the thread for discussion of clerical and non clerical abuse. I am certain if i start a thread on non clerical abuse it will end up being locked and moved here. I have shown you why.
    I am concerned with improving the church insofar as to ensure they do not get away with raping kids and covering it up again.

You are not concerned in improving the church! you hate the church! You are concerned in scapegoating one per cent of abusers since that suits your agenda of attacking the church. You want to treat your "special group" differently from all the other offenders under the law. If you really care about victims you would care about ALL victims and not just the victims of one per cent of abusers. But tyou want special treatment for them because they are catholic Clergy and you hate the church!
    I don't care if it withers and dies and I personally believe the world would be a better place without it.

so we should have an atheist society supporting no Church and no god. Like Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot? Atheistic Rgimes which slaughtered hundreds of millions! THAT is your agenda.
    At the same time I realise that this is not likely in the short to medium term, so I am interested in it being improved in relation to child protection. Much the same as I am interested in local authorities, my children's swimming club, my children's rugby club and my children's schools etc also having policies and procedures that protect the children in their care.

Funny how you don't address that much then is nt it? How is it you attack only the religious ? Not the secular or atheistic abusers? The ones that burned and shot whole families?
    I am not aware of any allegations of abuse against Brady. Knowing there was abuse and failing to report it to the authorities is tantamount to covering up that abuse.

Of course you are not because that is where you came into this thread and were shown all that was known and the whole history. did t stop you hating Cardinal Brady did it?
    So what? I initially believed that we should not discuss non clerical abuse in a thread entitle Clerical abuse as it would be off topic,

Rubbish
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65686206&postcount=932
    WRONG! You are trying to change you claim! You claimed that my posts were off topic for this thread. You didn't claim you were posting only what you wanted you claimed the entire thread was only about clerical abuse. We then entered into a discussion on what your thought the thread was about and you quite clearly stated (having been shown by me that it was not) that it was only about clerical child abuse. It subsequently transpired that you revealed an additional hidden agenda in that you wanted to discuss not only child abuse but how the hierarchy dealt with it!

you initially came in [message 5 ] saying
    it is a criminal offence not to report child abuse you are aware of. ...
    Presumably, if there was, there are a fairly large number of church officials guilty of this offence

You came in discussion how Bishops should be charged with crimes!
    Later you got cornered on the "this is not only about clerics" by me.
    additionally, I had no particular interest in discussing non clerical abuse in the thread. So what if someone decides it is ok to talk about it in this thread?

Rubbish! You insisted it was only about clerical abuse and you were shown it was not.
    Message 903:
    Most people would say slavery is wrong. Let us assume most world slavery was conducted by white people. Say 99.9 per cent of it. Let us say the public feel slavery is wrong. If you were discussing black people who control the slave trade and I came along and said "but why are you discussing the one per cent what about the 99 per cent who control the other 99 per cent of the trade"? Would you say "but we are discussing only black people who control slavery"? Might people not think you have a problem about black people or do you really believe they would think you are desperately concerned about solving slavery?

and 905
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65593060&postcount=905
    It was a general point. he didn't say "clerical" child abuse.
    It was made in relation to Ratzinger commenting on child abuse.
    there is absolutely no way you can claim that Ratzinger above is being accused as having said clerical abuse was OK whereas non clerical wasn't.

It also brings in the medi point from the previous message replied to.

It isn't for you to moderate or decide what is or isn't on topic!

Where I draw your attention to a discussion yu were in which was not "clerical"

And again in 910:
    I have! It is a completely nonsensical point that we can only discuss clerical abuse in this forum and non clerical abuse is off limits! Particularly in a discussion in which anticlericism is central! But if you have a problem about that post a moderator and don't try to moderate the discussion yourself.

And in 921
    Post about what you are interested in. and we can all see that you already admitted
    what you are interested in is who the church hierarchy handled it and not the abuse itself. Why? why as a self confessed atheist are you only interested in church hierarchy? It seems to me that other than just not believing in god your atheism extends into Church bashing.

Furthermore, you also tried to net cop me! You told me what I should be posting on! You tolf me the thread was about clerical abuse. It now seems you yourself ignored your own advice since your main interest isn't the abuse but how the Hierarchy handled the abuse!

I did not think it was appropriate nor did I want to talk about it. If it is subsequently found that it is appropriate that does not change the fact that I don't want to talk about it in this thread. There are other places where a discussion of that nature could take place, I believe I even suggested you open a thread in the humanities board.

Dodge!

You are trying to change you claim! You claimed that my posts were off topic for this thread. You didn't claim you were posting only what you wanted you claimed the entire thread was only about clerical abuse. We then entered into a discussion on what your thought the thread was about and you quite clearly stated (having been shown by me that it was not) that it was only about clerical child abuse. It subsequently transpired that you revealed an additional hidden agenda in that you wanted to discuss not only child abuse but how the hierarchy dealt with it!

Then you took a hioatus and when you came bak started into the same fundamentalist beliefs ignoring all the above facts which you have been given ( including a moderators sticky saying non clerical child abuse can be discussed)

Finally you are on the "discuss it in another thread" net cop vibe. You didnt originally claim this and these are weasel words. You clearly staed that you referred to this thread and this group. But in any case I don't want to go to another forum . You go if you want and preach your unsupported atheistic opinions there.

Here we prefer reason and evidence in debate and not opinion.
    I don't believe you are assisting in the cover up of abuse, I am not aware of any of your activities outside of boards,

More weasle words. Care to tell me if you were warned not to say I am supporting child abuse? Did you post " I don't believe you are assisting in the cover up of abuse" after such a warning? And what do you mean by "i am not aware of your activities outside boards" ? Do you think I go around outside boards covering up abuse?
    posting in a forum about clerical abuse is not taking part in a cover up, IMO. Do you deny your are an apologist for the church?

If you mean do I think it was right for the Church to apologise for any mistakes the Church made then YES. If you mean I am trying to defend child abuse in any way and put the Instution and authoritarianism of the Church first then NO.
    I believe that he should be charged with whatever would be appropriate at the time. I do not believe that criminal liability should be retrospective, therefore as male rape was not a crime at the time, they should not be charged with that. I do not know what charges were available at the time, nor do I have the time to research them. I have an exam tomorrow, and I am already wasting too much time on this thread.

Run away if you wish. To be fair I wont reply to any more of your posts till after you finish them. I will say a prayer for you. :) You can thank God yourself later. :)
    My proposal is a simple one, anyone involved in the abuse of children, whether it is the actual abuse, the cover up, failing to carry out their duty (gardai or local authorities, teachers etc) should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But you really only want to talk about one per cent or less of such people who just happen to be clerics? On and you co incidentally happen to hate the church?
    The fact that I do not know the specific charged that could or should be brought is not relevant to this. I believe people should be criminally liable for their behaviour, if it is criminal.
    and if there is no crime ( for example in Thailand - forgice me if i have it wrong ) it suddenly becomes ok? Even with teh same child it was not illegal with elsewhere?
    Should it turn out that there is, or was, not appropriate criminal offence at the time, then i would have to have a rethink. That causes me a conflict as I strongly believe the law, particularly the criminal law, should not be retrospective and this would be in conflict with my desire to see those responsible punished.

Well Ill give you and example. Oddly from Gerry springer. It probably was invented but a guy on one show has children urinate and deficate on him with parental consent. the child was not physically touched and there was no law against what he was doing. I think that man ( if the story is true) is seriously disturbed. But he is not a criminal. And ironically I think he needs treatment not punishment. As do the parents and the child. He was also not a cleric by the way in case you ask.
    Sorry, but this is something you can't take credit for. I was already aware that there was no male rape at the time. When I use the term rape in this thread I am using the current definition of it.

when did you become aware? because you didnt say so over a year ago when I mentioned it.
    Are you saying we should let criminals off because it might be a bit hard to get a conviction?

In the Us they have a thing called "plea bargaining" . You find that is immoral?
    The relevant authorities should make the decision based on all the facts. The likelihood of conviction is one thing that should be considered, as are the feelings of the victims. As most of the offenders seem to have abused multiple victims it does not seem beyond the realm of possibilities that there might be a number that are willing to stand up in court.

A non child abuse example Hep C women. compensate them now or leave it drag on in courts and let them die before they get any money?
    Additionally, we have the old adage that justice must be seen to be done. This is another consideration when deciding whether or not to take a case.

Eh NO! It isn't because such cases are normally in camera. In fact even adult victims usually want no publicity.
    Are you say that the abusers sould not face criminal charges?

Very good question. I am saying justice should first concentrate on the VICTIMS . And Not one one per cent of them! All the victims! Punishment is only secondary to that.
    I will try to check that out after my exam.

I will wait.
    I am pretty sure it specifically mentions protecting the accused and the church, and make no mention of voiding criminal prosecution. In fact, it makes no mention of any actions outside of internal church proceedings.

More selective memory

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64980815
    the above canon applies to CONFESSION. fr Brady was not hearing a confession of the 14 and 15 year old boys as far as i know. If he was then according to the above canon he should not have recorded anything!

Also neither canon 904 or 2368 mention anything which might be akin to "covering up"

The document above dealt exclusively with the procedure to be followed in connection with a denunciation to the ecclesiastical authority of a priest guilty of solicitation in Confession or of similar acts. It imposed secrecy about the conduct of the ecclesiastical trial, not allowing, for instance, statements made during the trial by witnesses or by the accused to be published. But it did not in any way impose silence on those who were victims of the priest's conduct or who had learned of it in ways unconnected with the ecclesiastical trial.

"These matters are confidential only to the procedures within the Church, but do not preclude in any way for these matters to be brought to civil authorities for proper legal adjudication. The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People of June, 2002, approved by the Vatican, requires that credible allegations of sexual abuse of children be reported to legal authorities.

Finally i have no idea if this is the actual procedure Brady was following.

Just to clarify for those folks who asked, I think that there can be reference to sexual abuse outside religious institutions if it is for the purposes of comparing it to abuse within religious institutions.

i.e. non clerical abuse is not out of bounds especially where it relates to analysis of abuse in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Firstly, cover-ups make it difficult to obtain hard evidence and secondly, there is no evidence other than what you 'read'.

There are testimonies, admissions, paper trails, all of which indicate a problem.

Then there is the failure of Church and State to act in the interests of justice; and their attempts to 'sweep away' the issue of paedophilia in the church.

Didn't you notice how the Vatican stepped up its language of appeasement? They started off saying there was no problem... it didn't wash. Then they admitted that there were errant priests but they were few and not representative of the church... that didn't wash either. Then as the Ratzinger letter, gagging-contracts that the church authorities forced children to sign, and all sorts of other documentation came out, the Vatican modified its language again. At every step trying to concede as little as possible and just enough to get them out of the spotlight.

But the lights got brighter and the official Church position got fuzzier. It is not unreasonable to interpret the Churches actions as condoning paedophilia. It seemed like they would only admit what was already known.

'Yes', they'd say, and they'd acknowledge something but claim there was nothing more. More comes out and they acknowledge that, but there is nothing more. Then more comes out...

By effectively 'lying by omission', the Vatican lost credibility in right-thinking minds.

That's reasonable, isn't it?

At best, the church engaged in protectionism (at the expense of the children) and baulked at exposing its hypocrisy and at worst, the church sponsors paedophilia.

My own opinion is that paedophiles see the church as a free-pass to children with added protection that is not available to teachers and relatives of children. It is an exclusive club, being a priest, and canon law supercedes state law.

Perfect.

It needs to be dealt with. Forcibly if necessary; the State should threaten the position of the church and force it to take part in an open enquiry and procedures should be put in place to stop the problem re-occurring.

I'm not saying that every member of the RCC hierarchy is corrupt and would say that most are well-intentioned but there is something wrong somewhere in the upper eschalons. There is a lot of smoke but there is resistance to calling the fire-brigade. It looks like a duck, quacks like a duck but we're told it's a swan. The lady doth protest not enough. Pride come before you try to hang on to power.....

Most Catholics are just people. Common, everyday, garden-variety people who just want to get on with their lives. And some Catholics are people with great power. And strange tastes!

Excellent post, but I would say that instead of " Most Catholics are just people." it is more correct to say " All Catholics are just people." Even Priests, nuns etc are just people. There was a good interview with someone on the Pat Kenny show yesterday morning, in which 200 + cases of clergy abuse were talked about etc. If people were less afraid of the Priests / nuns, we would have spoke out about them more. Many people never complained about abuse by clergy, as the clergy often picked on those who were religous / less likely to squeal. It is thought the figure of 5.8% of boys who were abused were abused by the clergy / religous is higher than that.

• Advertisement

In other words "absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence"
    so what? it isn't proof of abuse either!
    You are pleading to a conspiracy theory mindset which is like "we don't have any evidence but that proves there must be a cover up"
    I am sorry but just not good enough! We do not assume guilt we prove it based on evidence.
    You have produced no evidence of widespread corruption or coverups.
    Suppose I said "the invisible unicorns are behind it all"?

Okay which testimonies, admisions and paper trails and what[/p]problem do they indicate?

You assert the evidence is there . SO? Where is it?

the failure of several Bishops ( five or ten) and per haps an archbishop/cardinal to deal with the issue adequately. They didnt all attampt to "sweep" it. and it isnt a widespread issue no more than priests committing bank robbery or murder is. If for example a priest killed someone else and the bishop believed he had not done it as premidated murder and hushed it up and it that happened for a few priests say ten or twenty and involved say fve bishops. Say it was in a central american country a south american one Ireland and a pacific one . say it was related to terrorist groups in those countries. it could happen. Anyway one would not assert this was a planned "coverup or mercenary priests" endemic to the entire church and which the Pope knows about and is keeping hidden.

the above is all you opinion. read the thread since the fifth century the church has issued anti child abuse laws. The abusers are few ( less than one per cent of the total number of abusers) and not representative ( none are bishops). The letter issue ifs far from clear. What are you claiming? What documentation from the Vatican was a "gagging contract"?
    have you a source document?

What lights got brighter? how did the Church "get fuzzier"?
    It is reasonable to interpret your suggestions as "fuzzy" since you supply no names dates or source documents . where are they?

and you arrive at the conclusion "the church sponsors paedophilia."?

You have presented a false dichotomy. The Church did not sit down and plan and say " we need to protect ourselves and hide the offenders" .
    My own opinion is that paedophiles see the church as a free-pass to children with added protection that is not available to teachers and relatives of children.

And I would agree with you 100%. But this means the pedo comes first and his attraction to the church is to facilitate his disorder. It is not being a priest that causes it! the protection was extended to teachers and relatives who were the majority offenders. If your suggestion was true how is it ther are offenders who are clergy who also abused their family?
    It is an exclusive club, being a priest, and canon law supercedes state law.

that is a dated argument. some clergy believe it. It was never a Church position.

They were. Mostly by the Church. The state if anything is lagging.
    I'm not saying that every member of the RCC hierarchy is corrupt and would say that most are well-intentioned but there is something wrong somewhere in the upper eschalons.

Where in the upper echelons?

Ther are only two levels in the Church when it comes to clergy. Priest and Bishop.
    There is a lot of smoke but there is resistance to calling the fire-brigade. It looks like a duck, quacks like a duck but we're told it's a swan. The lady doth protest not enough. Pride come before you try to hang on to power.....

And strings of clichés come before no evidence yada yada yada!

And all clergy are just people.
    optogirl wrote: »
    How can you say this when abusers & rapists were shielded from criminal prosecution and actually given posts where they could continue to abuse???

How many worldwide and where is the evidence of hierarchical collusion?

gigino wrote: »
    E There was a good interview with someone on the Pat Kenny show yesterday morning, in which 200 + cases of clergy abuse were talked about etc.

[What 200 cases?
    If people were less afraid of the Priests / nuns, we would have spoke out about them more. Many people never complained about abuse by clergy, as the clergy often picked on those who were religous / less likely to squeal. It is thought the figure of 5.8% of boys who were abused were abused by the clergy / religous is higher than that.

LOL. You are lying abut that 5.8 per cent again!

Where did you get it?
    you are aware that source says 1.9 % and is not statistically valid since it is 4 cases in about 500! and not 4 actual cases but alleged by a phone poll.

You are lying abut that 5.8 per cent again!
    Where did you get it?

I am not lyng about it. See the long and detailed savi report http://www.drcc.ie/about/savi.pdf Top of page 89.
    Do not forget in 2009 our own ( Irish ) government in its report found child sexual abuse and cover ups in the RCC "endemic".
    And recently the UN committee on torture has ordered our government to launch a statutory investigation on more RCC run institiutions in Ireland.

As himnextdoor above explained " By effectively 'lying by omission', the Vatican lost credibility in right-thinking minds. That's reasonable, isn't it? At best, the church engaged in protectionism (at the expense of the children) and baulked at exposing its hypocrisy and at worst, the church sponsors paedophilia."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

gigino, you need to take a long hard look at that report and see the subheading of 'Authority' and then look and see the difference between what you are saying and that you are actually spouting nonsense and spamming it all over this forum. Really, look at it and think about it....and then wipe your chin.

If you are not lying deliberately, you are certainly in error and need to brush up on actually reading a report and digesting stats.

It does not say that 5.8% of boys are abused by Clergy, nothing of the sort.

I am not lyng about it. See the long and detailed savi report http://www.drcc.ie/about/savi.pdf Top of page 89.

When you have been shown it is not 5.8 but 1.9 per cent Ministers ( not all of whom might be RC) and you report that as 5.8 per cent of clergy abuse boys then you are lying! THe survey says 1.9 per cent of abusers were Ministers adn NOT 1.9 per cent of Ministers are abusers!

I like what I get is not I get what I like - except you you it seems :)

Look It was ME who first quoted that survey in this thread. I do not believe you even read it. You looked at one of my references and you cherry picked out what you thought you could sentationalise.

Which is a report based on WHAT?

Based on a phone poll. Not based on actual cases but on a survey of 3000 people.
    On page 88 ( the preceeding page)
    Participants were also asked if the person who perpetrated the
    abuse held and position of responsability ...

And WHAT did they find
    6 clergy abused boys ( which was 1.9 per cent of the amount of abusers)
    you can see it there on page 89

Percent of authority figures abusing boys ( number) girls (Number) percent of overall boys/girls

Babysitter
    19.7 (13) 28.2 (20) 4.2 4.6
    Religious minister
    r 9.1 (6) 8.5 (6) 1.9 1.4
    Teacher (religious) 18.2 (12) 0.0 (0) 3.9 0.0
    Teacher (non-religious) 6.1 (4) 7.0 (5) 1.3 1.1
    Bossb 6.1 (4) 5.6 (4) 1.3 0.9
    Coach/instructor 6.1 (4) 2.8 (2) 1.3 0.5
    Other authority figures 34.7 (23) 6.0 (34) 7.5 7.6

6 Clergy for boys totalled 1.9 of the population and ADDING on the 12 religious teachers 3.9 per cent you get 5.8

But only 1.9 of that 5.8 is clergy. the rest are teachers. and they excluded reporting this for girls because it would be 1.4% plus ZERO even less than 1.9

But six cases in 300 isn't really a reliable statistical result. Less than four would be more likely from other sources i.e. less than one per cent.
    Do not forget in 2009 our own ( Irish ) government in its report found child sexual abuse and cover ups in the RCC "endemic".

and you evidence is? any stats to back it up?
    You are just like a religious fundamentalist! You are shown all the logical and statistical errors and you keep spouting the same rubbish. either you get new evidence or I will have to complain about you re entering old stuff which has been shown to not be what you claim!
    And recently the UN committee on torture has ordered our government to launch a statutory investigation on more RCC run institiutions in Ireland.

Again you read something and you make up what you want and read that into the story!
    As himnextdoor above explained " By effectively 'lying by omission', the Vatican lost credibility in right-thinking minds. That's reasonable, isn't it? At best, the church engaged in protectionism (at the expense of the children) and baulked at exposing its hypocrisy and at worst, the church sponsors paedophilia."

And the retort to that was? you just can't keep quoting a line and not pay attention to where it is debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

lmaopml wrote: »
    gigino, you need to take a long hard look at that report and see the subheading of 'Authority' and then look and see the difference between what you are saying and that you are actually spouting nonsense and spamming it all over this forum. Really, look at it and think about it....and then wipe your chin.

If you are not lying deliberately, you are certainly in error and need to brush up on actually reading a report and digesting stats.

Exactly!!!! The same constant spam (axe to grind) is now getting repetitious and spilling out into other threads! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Correct. It says "5.8% of all boys sexually abused were abused by clergy or religous". This is at the top of page 89. I went to the trouble of spending an hour reading the report ; I suggest you do too. I am merely quoting from the report. Like it or not that is what the report does say, word for word.
    Many people - even Pat Kenny and his guest on the RTE show yesterday morning, expressed surprise that the figure was so low, but that is the figure. Anyone else hear the show yesterday morning ? The guest was talking about 200 cases of abuse in the Irish RCC, but unfortunately I got interupted and missed the middle part of the interview....but the Irish RCC was not coming across well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

ISAW said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    ISAW said:

Here we had MI5 allowing paedophiles to run an boys' home and abuse the boys. (Any other abuse MI5 engaged in is not the subject of this thread). It seems they allowed this to run to blackmail politicians ( must be a big number of them involved in sexual perversion), rather than mere protection of the pervert McGrath.

It was a despicable act, but hardly unique in the annals of any state security service. Yet, if it was shown that this happened on a scale like in the RCC, governments would fall and jails would fill with both politicians and government agents.
    wolfsbane would you plese leave in a link to my original message so I people can check you are quoting context.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=1010

And I would prefer if you put you comments ( the bit in red) on my words outside the quote box.
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you are talking about.:confused: My post makes clear what are your words and what are mine:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72722092&postcount=1057

If you can clarify what is the problem, I'll be glad to fix it.
    As regards you comment that
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=1055
    Quote:
    Yes, I should have said I was speaking about our modern western societies. Here it is power and secrecy that enable abuse

If abuse was not about power and secrecy in ancient Greece and yet was still abuse what is the significance of attaching the quality of being a powerful group to abuse if it isnt a defining factor. the only one I can see is to tar a powerful group with being immoral just because they are powerful. i.e. attack the Church on the basis that it is powerful and all powerful groups are immoral. But you already admitted power and secrecy aqre NOT the source of child abuse.

You then change to saying this was only in "Modern Western" society. Do you believe in relative morals an that some time in the future in a society child abuse will be acceptable. The Church position is that it is always wrong.
    Power and secrecy are the source of child abuse in our Modern Western society. If we were in ancient Greece, power and secrecy would not be needed for the man/boy abuse. But we are in our own society, one that rightly criminalises such behaviour, so power and secrecy are required to enable child abuse.

However, I did not say all powerful and/or secret groups are immoral. Just that being powerful provides the means for abuse, and any powerful organisation needs to take special care its members do not use it for that. Possessing a gun does not make one immoral - but it provides a temptation for those who might want to strike back in anger, or just fire recklessly for fun. Those who own a gun have a duty to ensure that does not happen.

So you can see I'm saying power and secrecy is the danger in Modern Western society, not that child abuse has only become immoral now.
    TO take your own words:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=1055
    Quote:
    If it was not power that led to the abuse and kept it covered, what was it?

saee the think is cerical offenders were not operating internet rings like organised modern western pedos. I have discussed this with people from the mental health fraterniuty abroad who oversee such offenders. their opinion is "arrested development". The y view many such offenders as not having emotionally developed and having a childish psyche.
    True this may manifest in power in a minority of cases but certainly not in large political power structures which would require adult manipulation. I really don't think you "they are pedos because they are in power" argument is a runner as the causal factor.
    I did not say "they are pedos because they are in power". One may have power and be thoroughly moral. But without power, the paedos would not have survived to run for years. Had they known that once reported they would have been on remand in prison, many would have thought again. But they had power - a powerful church that looked after them when caught.

As to the basis of their perversion, I agree that problems in their emotional development underlies a lot of it. They may claim it is their natural sexual orientation, but from the ones I've talked with it seems clear that abnormal childhood experiences encouraged abnormal development.

What would they have done about their perverted desires if they had no power? Recognised it for the defect it is and changed their way of thinking; or suppressed it; or kept it to their imagination; or carried it out regardless, and spent most of their life in and out of prison.
    Quote:
    But what is the comparison with the RCC? What reasons did it have for covering up the abuse and allowing the perpetrators to continue abusing?

It didn't have any reason for continuing abuse and it didn't have a policy of covering it up.

Of the ten thousand or so bishops worldwide maybe as many as ten believed ( along with the other non Church elements of society ) that not mentioning it and moving the offender might just make the think go away . One might compare homosexual members of the Aristocracy a century ago or say a member of the Royal family doing drugs today. It might well be hushed up and the "bad elements" removed or paid off or people allowed to get away with it in isolation.
    Only 10 bishops guilty of cover-up? OK, like only 1 member of the royal family has done drugs today. :pac:
    Quote:
    1. It thought itself far above all such minor details, thought its people ought to put up with it as a price for a celibate priesthood?

There is no evidence for that. In fact ther is very ancient evidence of the opposite i.e. of church rules deploring child abuse.
    Actions speak louder than words. The RCC today deplores child abuse, and has done so all the time it was covering it up.
    Quote:
    2. It sympathised with the perverts, for many of the bishops/papacy had engaged is it themselves?

Not "many". I'm not aware of any popes who were child sexual abusers. There have been 265 popes. excluding anti-popes how many of these do you assert were child sex offenders?
    No idea. The Borgias, I'm sure. But my quote included the bishops. And I offered it as a possibility, not an assertion.
    Quote:
    3. Something else?

That has to be seen - and the more we see, the less innocent the organisation appears.

Luke 12: 1 In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all, “Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 2 For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

gigino, I had a quick look through your posts, and on one you claim you follow 'Jesus' but for the most part they are on Catholic threads giving out shyte about Catholics, insinutating the Pope is a Nazi, Conspiracy theories that Dan Brown would die for, and not to mention your hobby horse Peadophilia - this seems to be your own particular way of expressing your 'Love for Jesus' - Hating Catholics - Nice.

....imo you are trolling - I'm putting you on 'ignore'. No point arguing with a fool.

gigino, I had a quick look through your posts,
    I never stalked anyone
    and on one you claim you follow 'Jesus' but for the most part they are on Catholic threads
    as a catholic and christian are we not all followers of Jesus?

, insinutating the Pope is a Nazi,

Thats a lie. I never said or insinuated the Pope IS a Nazi.
    Hating Catholics
    No I do'nt, I do not hate a billion people...most of whom are good people.
    Hypocracy and lies ( no to mention abuse and cover-ups ) are something I do not tolerate though...especially from so called christian leaders. As someone else said " Didn't you notice how the Vatican stepped up its language of appeasement? They started off saying there was no problem... it didn't wash. Then they admitted that there were errant priests but they were few and not representative of the church... that didn't wash either. Then as the Ratzinger letter, gagging-contracts that the church authorities forced children to sign, and all sorts of other documentation came out, the Vatican modified its language again. At every step trying to concede as little as possible and just enough to get them out of the spotlight."

Suppose I said "the invisible unicorns are behind it all"?

Then I would say that you're an idiot!
    Okay which testimonies, admisions and paper trails and what[/p]problem do they indicate?

You assert the evidence is there . SO? Where is it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/apr/24/children.childprotection

Suck on that for a little while.
    the failure of several Bishops ( five or ten) and per haps an archbishop/cardinal to deal with the issue adequately. They didnt all attampt to "sweep" it. and it isnt a widespread issue no more than priests committing bank robbery or murder is. If for example a priest killed someone else and the bishop believed he had not done it as premidated murder and hushed it up and it that happened for a few priests say ten or twenty and involved say fve bishops. Say it was in a central american country a south american one Ireland and a pacific one . say it was related to terrorist groups in those countries. it could happen. Anyway one would not assert this was a planned "coverup or mercenary priests" endemic to the entire church and which the Pope knows about and is keeping hidden.

Keep sucking!

the above is all you opinion. read the thread since the fifth century the church has issued anti child abuse laws. The abusers are few ( less than one per cent of the total number of abusers) and not representative ( none are bishops). The letter issue ifs far from clear. What are you claiming? What documentation from the Vatican was a "gagging contract"?
    have you a source document?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7061133.ece

Don't chew, just suck.
    What lights got brighter? how did the Church "get fuzzier"?
    It is reasonable to interpret your suggestions as "fuzzy" since you supply no names dates or source documents . where are they?

Suck!
    and you arrive at the conclusion "the church sponsors paedophilia."?

And learn to read!
    You have presented a false dichotomy. The Church did not sit down and plan and say " we need to protect ourselves and hide the offenders" .

You seem remarkably well-informed for someone who is so ill-informed.

(Are you still sucking?)
    And I would agree with you 100%. But this means the pedo comes first and his attraction to the church is to facilitate his disorder. It is not being a priest that causes it! the protection was extended to teachers and relatives who were the majority offenders. If your suggestion was true how is it ther are offenders who are clergy who also abused their family?

I said "at best".

Do you deny that the vetting procedure of the RCC was inadequate? Is 'we didn't realise he was a serial paedophile' good enough?

The church protected these men. ISAW, that is not okay with me.
    that is a dated argument. some clergy believe it. It was never a Church position.

Dated you say? Ironic when you think that a two-thousand year old fairytale forms the basis of modern religion.

The Church position is to admit nothing and apologise for what is found out!!!!!!!
    They were. Mostly by the Church. The state if anything is lagging.

Shut up! The State prosecutes paedophiles, the Church doesn't!!!
    Where in the upper echelons?

The bloody POPE!
    Ther are only two levels in the Church when it comes to clergy. Priest and Bishop.

Not a defence against paedophilia.
    And strings of clichés come before no evidence yada yada yada!

Yady yada yada!!!!
    And all clergy are just people.

People with power! Unfettered, unmonitored, POWER!
    How many worldwide and where is the evidence of hierarchical collusion?

One is too many!

Are you still sucking?

Then I would say that you're an idiot!

So you prove my point! Look upi "Burden of proof"

[/B]

Which begins
    Pope Benedict XVI faced claims last night he had 'obstructed justice
    for "faced claims" read "alleged"

Where is a copy of the letter? We can go through it and see if it says as your source alleges.

The letter seems to be available on the Web:
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20010518_epistula_graviora%20delicta_lt.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Ratzinger_as_Prefect_of_the_Congregation_for_the_Doctrine_of_the_Faith#Response_to_sex_abuse_scandal
    The promulgation of the norms by Pope John Paul II and the subsequent letter by the then Prefect of the CDF were published in 2001 in Acta Apostolicae Sedis[12] which is the Holy See's official journal, in accordance with the Code of Canon Law,[13] and is disseminated monthly to thousands of libraries and offices around the world.[14]

Begins:
    Cardinal Seán Brady, the head of the Catholic church in Ireland, was involved in an alleged cover-up of child sexual abuse complaints against Brendan Smyth, Ireland’s most notorious paedophile priest.

Have you any evidence and not just allegations?

this case is coovered early on in this thread as it is one of the merged threads.
    Try reading from this message on wher I take it up:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64996858&postcount=292

According to my unofficial translation the aboive letter does refer to
    -A delict against morals, namely: the delict committed by a cleric against the Sixth Commandment of the Decalogue with a minor below the age of 18 years.

It also says
    All tribunals of the Latin church and the Eastern Catholic churches are bound to observe the canons on delicts and penalties, and also on the penal process of both codes respectively, together with the special norms which are transmitted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for an individual case and which are to be executed entirely.
    Cases of this kind are subject to the pontifical secret.

It refers to canons 1362 qnd 1152 as egards the reference to criminal process

1152 is in relation to separation of a Marriage so we can forget that

1362 is about
    http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_P4Z.HTM

criminal action is extinguished by prescription after three years, except for:

it gets quite tricky here because we are dealing with all sorts of things a priest should not do e.g. withhold absolution to a partner of someone forgiven etc.

We are only interested in abuse of minors (the canon covers under 18 but we specifically are interested in per pubescent here)

It seems to say to me that if you are a priest and commit such an offense that under canon law the possibility of prosecuting you lasts ten years after the victim becomes 18.

Actually 1`395.2 says:
    §2 A cleric who has offended in other ways against the sixth commandment of the Decalogue, if the crime was committed by force, or by threats, or in public, or with a minor under the age of sixteen years, is to be punished with just penalties, not excluding dismissal from the clerical state if the case so warrants.
    Do you deny that the vetting procedure of the RCC was inadequate?

No. No more than the vetting of teachers or babysitters was.
    The church protected these men. ISAW, that is not okay with me.
    Not as part of a plan or their rules! Individuals in and outside of church offices protected some of them by admission or omission and that is not alright with most Catholics but that does not mean the whole clergy were corrupt .
    Dated you say? Ironic when you think that a two-thousand year old fairytale forms the basis of modern religion.
    Yes dated.
    Off topic. Jesus is no more a fairy tale than Alexander the Great or Socrates.
    The Church position is to admit nothing and apologise for what is found out!!!!!!!

So absence of evidence is proof of something now?
    Shut up! The State prosecutes paedophiles, the Church doesn't!!!

The church does but its law does not have Jurisdiction as regard imprisoning someone. all the church can do is excommunicate, remove clerical office ( not the order) and tell them wher to live or where not to live ( which they can't physically enforce)

The State has very few of these alleged offenders in goal if 99 per cent of them are non clergy. it is lagging.
    The bloody POPE!

Where is you evidence about the Pope?
    Not a defence against paedophilia.

It was a question as to where in the hierarchy is there evidence for this alledge widespread corruption is?
    Any evidence?
    Yady yada yada!!!!

More cliché
    People with power! Unfettered, unmonitored, POWER!

Who has such power? i already told you the Church cant imprison anyone.
    One is too many!

So what? Im not justifying any. Im asking how you can demonstrate widespread collusion among the hierarchy?
    Are you still sucking?

Are you still relying on cliché and second hand allegation?

Which begins

for "faced claims" read "alleged"

Where is a copy of the letter? We can go through it and see if it says as your source alleges.

The letter seems to be available on the Web:
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20010518_epistula_graviora%20delicta_lt.html

An excerpt , in English, from that letter:

"All tribunals of the Latin church and the Eastern Catholic churches are bound to observe the canons on delicts and penalties, and also on the penal process of both codes respectively, together with the special norms which are transmitted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for an individual case and which are to be executed entirely.
    Cases of this kind are subject to the pontifical secret."

'Cases of this kind' include child-abuse!
    (Reference to times article discussing Cardinal Brady's alleged role in covering up child-abuse) Begins:

And the second paragraph reads:

"Brady, the archbishop of Armagh and primate of AllIreland, has confirmed to The Sunday Times that he attended a secret canonical tribunal, or internal church hearing, in 1975 at which two of Smyth’s young victims were required to sign an undertaking on oath that they would not discuss what happened with anybody other than an approved priest."

The penalty for violating such an oath is excommunication. Brendan Smyth might have used the same language to subdue his victims.

Apparently, being abused by a priest can get you excommunicated.
    Have you any evidence and not just allegations?

Pontifical secrets and oaths of silence are not allegations; they are standard RC Church procedure and they do nothing for the protection of children, serving, as they do, only to protect the clergy.

I wonder what the psychological impact on abused children who are 'frightened' into not talking about their experiences.

It seems to me that the church regards abused children as 'those pesky kids' and paedophiles are just 'naughty boys'.
    No. No more than the vetting of teachers or babysitters was.

Fair enough.
    Not as part of a plan or their rules! Individuals in and outside of church offices protected some of them by admission or omission and that is not alright with most Catholics but that does not mean the whole clergy were corrupt .

I have never claimed that the entire clergy is corrupt, it's their system that is corrupt. Good men bound by bad law is as undesirable as corruption.
    The church does but its law does not have Jurisdiction as regard imprisoning someone. all the church can do is excommunicate, remove clerical office ( not the order) and tell them wher to live or where not to live ( which they can't physically enforce)

Exactly. That is precisely why they are the wrong man for the job.
    The State has very few of these alleged offenders in goal if 99 per cent of them are non clergy. it is lagging.

I think I understand your meaning. I agree that not enough is being done anywhere regarding child-protection. Is that what you are saying?
    Where is you evidence about the Pope?

Now that the 'cat is out of the bag', so to speak, the Pope appears to be contrite but is actually still engaged in protectionism.

Did you read the letter? Part 6 is addressed to victims and their families. Part 6. That comes after a history lesson and a little flattery. Very comforting I'm sure.:rolleyes:

The children should have been number one!

And what is the Pope's grand solution to the problem? Pray and fast.

I would have been more impressed if he'd apologised and stated that he would by all possible means root out and bring offending priests to justice; that he would seek to cooperate with the state mechanisms of law enforcement; that he would amend the rules so that criminal priests can be prosecuted under criminal law.

But he doesn't. Pray and fast is what he prescribes. And nowhere does he take responsibility for his organisation. He will pray with us and for us but it is we who are charged with the responsibility of 'fixing' the church in Ireland.

He seems naive too; in Part 7 he appeals to hardened criminals to 'give themselves up'.

Parts 10 and 11 consitute evidence. The Pope acknowledges and criticises the inadequate response to child-abuse and also criticises members of the clergy for failing in their duty.

If no rules were broken then why should the Pope be critical?

That letter totally lacks substance and in my opinion is nothing more than an act of lip-service.
    Who has such power? i already told you the Church cant imprison anyone.

Every authority figure possesses power.
    So what? Im not justifying any. Im asking how you can demonstrate widespread collusion among the hierarchy?

It's in their rules; only priests can judge priests; pontifical secret; oaths of silence.
    Are you still relying on cliché and second hand allegation?

Something is not right.

ISAW said:
    Quote:
    The only form of the above that is abuse is sex-slavery. All the wife-swapping, dogging and prostitution are voluntary perversions.

If an adult willingly takes part in slavery or perversion it may not be illegal but still be immoral.
    Immoral /= abuse.
    Also, feminists regard prostitution as abuse of women whether they consent to it or not. http://www.feministissues.com/
    Quote:
    Radical feminism opposes prostitution on the grounds that it degrades women and furthers the power politics of the male gender. Feminists seek to be supportive of sex workers while deploring the work itself as inherently wrong.
    Self-abuse is not the same as child abuse. Certainly others can share blame in the matter of self-abuse - the drug-dealer who supplies the addict, but it is still essentially self-abuse.
    Quote:
    Can the members remove pervert priests and bishops? No. Therefore the overwhelming blame for the cover-up lies at the door of the bishops, especially the papacy.

But they can't remove them either! Once ordained it is forever! If you mean "can they remove them form Temporal office". Yes non clergy can. Indeed non clergy can attain any office in the RCC except Pope. all other temporal offices can be held by laity. A cardinal for example is a temporal office. Also while non clergy cant hold ordinary power in spiritual matters e.g. they can't act as a Bishop non clergy can elect Bishops What do you think "vox populi" means?
    Why are you talking about non-clergy electing bishops? I'm asking can they sack them, remove them from office. Can they intervene in a parish and remove the priest from functioning? Or remove the bishop from his post. I don't care if he remains a priest or bishop in the sight of the Church, just that he cannot function as priest or bishop among the people. You seem to say Yes and No. So what is it?

If it is Yes, that the people could have removed the paedophiles from office, preventing them from taking mass, hearing confessions, pastoring the people - then the ordinary Catholic is to blame for a big part of the abuse.

But that is not my understanding of how the RCC is constructed. I'll be very surprised if you tell me it is.
    Quote:
    All power tends to corrupt.

We have been over this. The "They abused children because they were in power positions" is a non runner! In fact none of the abusers were in senior positions. As many as ten maybe people in senior positions who did not abuse did take part in a "coverup" in so far as they moved the offending Cleric ( with the knowledge of the parents). at the time both state authorities and psychological advice was to remove the offender usually to a mental institution. In some rare instances the cleric was allowed to continue in office resulting in more horrific abuse.
    The power that corrupted did not have to be personal to the perpetrator - just available to get his back if he were caught. And the RCC filled that role. They protected their clerics, rather than the abused.
    In fact if anything you have it wrong way around. Someone who was [already a pedo gravitated to a job which involved children. In 99 times out of 100 this was a teacher swimming instructor policeman etc. In one case in a hundred or less it was a a clerical job. Power didnt cause the pedo Pedophilioa caused them to look for positons of power over children.
    As I said, power was the enabler. It allowed paedos to emerge, as well as attracted exiting ones to the cover.

Quote:
    As I read it, all the bishops involved in the investigations took part in the cover-up,
    including the papacy.

Where did you read that?
    Fr. Tom Doyle has an extensive account.
    It didn't happen everywhere so we don't have a loarge proportion of Bishops but take Dublin. In Dublin ther were four arch bishops and about sixteen ( my guess there are less clergy and currently six bishops you can get the detalis here: http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/ie.html ) over the last 50 years
    Ther were four Archbishops two of which knew. there is no evidence of the other 16 Bisjhops knowing or assenting to any cover up much less the 100 or so other Irish Bishops over the period. We also know that other Archbishops in other Diocese knew about other cases in their own diocese.
    I said all the bishops who knew of the abuse. If any did not know, they are not guilty of cover-up. Are you saying only two of the hundreds of bishops knew there was abuse?
    There was no central register in Ireland or the Vatican of offenders.
    Shameful neglect in so powerful an organisation.
    There was no state register in Ireland of offenders clerical or non clerical.
    No POPE was involved in making any decisions about clergy in Dublin or aware of what happened there.
    No reports from the nuncio? No reports forwarded from the archbishops? What about America? Germany?
    Quote:
    It is possible that some bishops never knew any abuse took place in the RCC, but I think that rather unlikely.

Why? If everybody knew then why were you not out on the streets in the 1970s 80s and 90s with all this?
    I am not a bishop, supposed to know what is happening in my churches.
    The reports list the people who knew and the numbers of clergy who knew were small. true they made errors in what they did but they were not representative of Church policy.
    Small compared to the total number of clergy? That assumes we know of all the abuse. And Church official policy against abuse means nothing if the Church as a matter of actual policy protects the clergy rather than the abused.
    Quote:
    I think it just as likely that some of the bishops had been paedophiles themselves, and so sympathised with the perpetrators and enabled them to continue elsewhere.

There is no evidence for this pure conjecture!
    Just Reason.
    Quote:
    Wife-swapping is not cheating on your wife - she is engaged in it. As for women 'having' to work as prostitutes, any interviews I've read showed they choose to do so to avoid boring/low paid jobs, or to fund their drugs habit. Not abuse, but self-abuse.

Encouraging people to debauchery is not abusing them? curious.
    Encouraging them to self-abuse is not on same level as child-abuse. Curious that you think it is.
    Quote:
    No false premise, and it does follow. Who do you think bears the primary blame for the cover-ups?

What coverups? Do you refer to moving of offenders to positions in which they could re offend?
    Indeed I do.
    Care to list say ten cases and Ill tell you who I think is responsible or who should share blame whether Bishop, local administration, social worker parents or whatever.
    Pick even two from Brendan Smyth's career.
    Quote:
    The victims? Their parents? The priests who knew? Anyone but the bishops and papacy?

Depends on the case. Bishops didnt know in every case. when they did they acted on professional advice bt they no doubt share blame. I am not aware of the Papacy being involved in moving a priest. Could you enlighten me on these cases?
    How about the Papacy ordering a shut-down on accusations/evidence going outside the Church?
    Quote:
    What a strange thing to say! It is a truism that power tends to corrupt: corrupt in the moral sense, not in a lack of order.

You are just taking a Cliché from a British Baron born into privileged.
    And I think most thinking people will recognise it as a fact of life. You are the first I have encountered who denies it. He was British, a Baron - and a Catholic - so what?
    The double irony is he wrote those words to a Bishop.
    in which he stated:

Quote:
    I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men, with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption it is the other way, against the holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely... My dogma is not the special wickedness of my own spiritual superiors, but the general wickedness of men in authority—of Luther and Zwingli, and Calvin, and Cranmer, and Knox, of Mary Stuart and Henry VIII., of Philip II. and Elizabeth, of Cromwell and Louis XIV., James and Charles and William, Bossuet and Ken.
    He was pointing out the very example of power that led to corruption.
    Quote:
    No, nothing to do with rules or order. Moral declension. Protecting the perpetrators and enabling them to continue.

So you believe in absolute morals and things being always wrong and this being corrupted i.e. changed from the perfect over time

But was it not you who referred to "modern western" societies having different standards to ancient greece fior example in sexual practice?

So then are you accepting corrupted standards or is it the opposite that modern societies have improved on earlier moral standards due to their power structures? forgive me is i confuse your posts with those of another.
    The power structures of modern societies has not caused any of their moral improvements. Christianity has. But power structures within Christianity have always tended to corrupt the ethics of the individual and organisation.

Power does not demand corruption, just tends toward it. Powerful people/institutions have a duty to guard their hearts.
    Quote:
    Not from what I've read.

What did you read? Where?
    Fr. Tom Doyle on the American scene, for example.
    Quote:
    And each priest did not commit one offence - it was years-long multiple offences. Offences that often continued after the bishop became aware of the original offences.

I am not arguing that clerical offenders were mre likely to have multiple victims. I have shown that to be statistically accepted. But I would argue that this was because they had more access (e.g. to a whole school or parish) and no convincing statistical argument exists that multiple victims were caused primarily because the cleric was moved.
    Again, I'm depending on reports of priests abusing several in one locality, being moved on and abusing several more, and on again. You saying that did not happen? That most abusers stayed put or stopped offending?
    Quote:
    I grew up with the threat of WW3, and later with the Troubles. I had personal friends maimed and murdered. But I would not have covered-up sexual abuse of those in my care - much less allowed it to continue. It would have been at least as big on my horizon as the other problems around me.

You opinion and it is a decent one but you cant say it is representative.
    Did the British and US intelligence cover up the genocial slaughter of Prussians by Stalin's forces in order to maintain them winning the war? Was the Dreyfuss case covered up because he was a Jew? So then political ramifications can result in cover up.
    They sure can - and it is the powerful who do it, not the common people. Are you saying you should expect no more from your Church than you do from your politicians?
    Quote:
    I seem to recall several in Ireland alone. And many in the USA, Germany, Belgium, Australia - and of course those who knew in Rome. It will be interesting to find out what has been happening in all the other countries of the world.

It would. Rather than believe conjecture and media hype and atheists who have an "I hate the church" agenda and did little or nothing for people in the developing world.
    Fr. Tom Doyle? The abused in all these countries?
    Quote:
    No, I suggested some of them were. Remember, the bishops were once priests too - if my understanding of Catholic hierarchy is correct.

But the "move them" solution was based on the idea that people could be "cured" of pedophilia. If you are suggesting Bishops one were abusers and then stopped you are suggesting that policy was valid. are you?
    I didn't say they had stopped. Who knows? Less opportunity? Living on past pleasures? New forms of entertainment? Genuine repentance and forsaking the sin?

Yes, all sin can be overcome. Perverted sexual orientations can be forsaken. But they should not be covered-up at the expense of the abused.

And the abuser should never be put in a place where he could offend again, no matter how sure one is about his recovery.

*********************************************************************************
    Luke 12: 1 In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all, “Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 2 For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.

An excerpt , in English, from that letter:

"All tribunals of the Latin church and the Eastern Catholic churches are bound to observe the canons on delicts and penalties, and also on the penal process of both codes respectively, together with the special norms which are transmitted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for an individual case and which are to be executed entirely.
    Cases of this kind are subject to the pontifical secret."

'Cases of this kind' include child-abuse!

Yes cases of child abuse ( and/or murded) by a cleric were to be dealt with in secret and not made public. this does not mean that the criminal prosecution was to be prevented. If the police take a case of child abuse it also is to be dealt with in secret and not not made public. the case is held "in camera". the "penal procedures" above relate to what the church decides in relation to a cleric. criminal procedures are outside of this.

And the second paragraph reads:

"Brady, the archbishop of Armagh and primate of AllIreland, has confirmed to The Sunday Times that he attended a secret canonical tribunal, or internal church hearing, in 1975 at which two of Smyth’s young victims were required to sign an undertaking on oath that they would not discuss what happened with anybody other than an approved priest."

Already dealt with in the thread mentioned. "Secret" i.e. "in camera" court cases are held regularly in Ireland. Brady took the statements of two children. i am not aware if he attended the tribunal. If so he was not a judge he only took statements and filed the report.
    The penalty for violating such an oath is excommunication. Brendan Smyth might have used the same language to subdue his victims.

Yes . But that does not exclude criminal prosecution. the case was tricky in that it involved a cross border diocese and Catholics would not have trusted the RUC. Likewise the parents didn't want criminal charges laid. No wonder. What charges could be brought? Rape of boys didn't exist. The criminal charges which could be brought had a chance they might not stick and a penalty of months in prison. If the parents were not prepared to prosecute then the whole thing could collapse. All this is in the thread referred to.
    Apparently, being abused by a priest can get you excommunicated.

Breaking an oath might but I really doubt it. To which canon does this refer?
    Pontifical secrets and oaths of silence are not allegations; they are standard RC Church procedure and they do nothing for the protection of children, serving, as they do, only to protect the clergy.

You would be wrong there. The whole thing was discussed before. The point about the secret of the confessional not to be discussed by priests under a tribunal is specifically stated if i recall that it was to protect the VICTIM in case that talking about it would prejudiced the case so that the perpetrator could avoid criminal prosecution. Again all in the earlier discussion IIR.
    I wonder what the psychological impact on abused children who are 'frightened' into not talking about their experiences.

Again IIR the psychological effect of abuse last longer and do more damage e.g. emotional abuse is worse in this sense than physical or sexual abuse.
    It seems to me that the church regards abused children as 'those pesky kids' and paedophiles are just 'naughty boys'.

It may seem that way to you but you would be wrong about that. What do you expect the Church to do?
    I have never claimed that the entire clergy is corrupt, it's their system that is corrupt. Good men bound by bad law is as undesirable as corruption.

HOW is the entire system corrupt?
    I think I understand your meaning. I agree that not enough is being done anywhere regarding child-protection. Is that what you are saying?

I think people are going into a frenzy about it and becoming paranoid. In the park when a child goes out of sight parents are running around like headless chickens. It didnt happen 30 years ago. i have no reason to believe there is a smaller percentage of abusers today. I also feel the above parents have the idea that a man is waiting in the bushes to abduct children. How many children were abducted in Ireland in the last decade? Ten ? twenty? Two? It is always wrong but more children are run over by cars.

In short yes we need procedures to ensure children have a safe and healthy upbringing but we also need to trust some people and not be worked up and sentationalising pedophilia whether clerical or not. In doing so we are falling into the "politically correct" trap.

for example a certain Senator running for the Presidency is currently on the run and being pilloried as promoting child abuse because he is attracted to teenage boys. Also, twenty years ago rape was getting the coverage child abuse now gets. the fickle way the tabloid press moves on to the next "Barbie the Butcher" or " Jack the Ripper" or "Serial Rapist" just shows they don't reflect real values. they reflect a sort of nasty vinvictive streak in us who want to see people punished, who want to attend executions and yell "fry him" when the current is turned on to the electric chair. I would rather a world in which the victims came first and more than that YES I would prefer a society which lessens or wipes out the opportunity or preferable the motivation to victimise.
    Now that the 'cat is out of the bag', so to speak, the Pope appears to be contrite but is actually still engaged in protectionism.

How so?
    Did you read the letter? Part 6 is addressed to victims and their families. Part 6. That comes after a history lesson and a little flattery. Very comforting I'm sure.:rolleyes:

And it says?
    The children should have been number one!

the abuser should have been got to before he was motivated to abuse.

He seems naive too; in Part 7 he appeals to hardened criminals to 'give themselves up'.

Yo think he should strap on a red bandana and take them out? :)
    Parts 10 and 11 consitute evidence. The Pope acknowledges and criticises the inadequate response to child-abuse and also criticises members of the clergy for failing in their duty.

But this isnt saying the church planned in a corrupt way. Or that senior people colluded.
    That letter totally lacks substance and in my opinion is nothing more than an act of lip-service.

You cant have it both ways. you cant say the letter is damning and also say it is meaningless.
    Every authority figure possesses power.

so you believe we should have no authorities. Okayyou are an anarchist. You can still be a christian if you want.
    It's in their rules; only priests can judge priests; pontifical secret; oaths of silence.

Only the Chruch can judge on ecclesiastical matters i.e. the Supreme court can remove a priest from their office.
    and it does not have to be a priest e.g. a Cardinal who is not a priest or a diocesean administrator who is not a priest could be over a tribunal

The tribunal cant put someone in prison only a criminal court can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

Fair enough Mr.P. You've got to understand though, that hating the Church is hating it's members, we are the Church, and very many are doing everything they can...it's difficult for us to seperate hatred of our Church and hatred for us as it's members in todays society who are dealing with the fallout from yesterdays.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

+ 1. Hatred of the abusers and those who failed to deal with them adequately for vainglorious reasons is understandable. The vast majority of Catholics also feel complete contempt for them. On a lesser level is are Bishops who wrongly assumed abusers could be treated and reformed like most sinners if shown some Christian compassion.

Blanket hatred and contempt of the Church is not a good idea, anyone taking that position is either ignorant of the facts and/or has ulterior motives.

• Advertisement

Yes cases of child abuse ( and/or murded) by a cleric were to be dealt with in secret and not made public. this does not mean that the criminal prosecution was to be prevented. If the police take a case of child abuse it also is to be dealt with in secret and not not made public. the case is held "in camera". the "penal procedures" above relate to what the church decides in relation to a cleric. criminal procedures are outside of this.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the tone of my last but one post. I was rude and disrespectful and I am sorry. It was late, I had been drinking and I was angry; I should have waited before I posted.

Also, I applaud you and am grateful that you have stayed engaged with me in spite of my rudeness.

Anyway,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_church_abuse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims

And:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704421104575463780768025678.html

which includes the paragraph:

"Under the previous guidelines, church authorities were required to report any "established" cases of abuse to law-enforcement authorities, unless it was the wish of the victim not to take the case further—a policy that some German lawmakers had criticized for giving the church too much latitude in determining whether abuse cases were valid."

which, you will accept, is problematic; unqualified personnel deciding what is or is not an established case of abuse; could an offer of compensation cause an abuse-victim not to want to take a case further? In the context of child-protection, this seems like an unnecessary 'loop-hole'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/16/vatican-sex-abuse-guidelines-criticised

Whilst I understand that what you are saying is in regard to established rules and laws, and as such I would agree with you in the sense that the rules of the church have been adhered to, you must surely concede that the opportunity to pervert the course of justice is there.

It seems that the church authorities would prefer to assume that a child who makes an allegation of abuse is lying and that is a dangerous path to take.

Taking your 'in camera' point, suppose a child who had signed an 'oath of silence' were to subsequently report the abuse to the Gardai; should that child expect recriminations for violating the oath and should that child's case be 'thrown out' on a 'breach of contract' basis? If you answer no to both clauses then you demonstate the problem with church law.
    Already dealt with in the thread mentioned. "Secret" i.e. "in camera" court cases are held regularly in Ireland. Brady took the statements of two children. i am not aware if he attended the tribunal. If so he was not a judge he only took statements and filed the report.

Are you saying that since Brady was 'just following ze orders' he should be exhonorated?
    Yes . But that does not exclude criminal prosecution. the case was tricky in that it involved a cross border diocese and Catholics would not have trusted the RUC. Likewise the parents didn't want criminal charges laid. No wonder. What charges could be brought? Rape of boys didn't exist. The criminal charges which could be brought had a chance they might not stick and a penalty of months in prison. If the parents were not prepared to prosecute then the whole thing could collapse. All this is in the thread referred to.

It doesn't matter; we are talking about paedophilia which is unacceptable in both states. Arrest warrants could have, and should have, been issued.

Rape of boys didn't exist? It was acceptable until when? Sodomy! Unlawful carnal knowledge! Assault! There are plenty of alternative charges and a few column inches should get an errant priest run out of town minus his religious icon.

But I get what you are saying; there was a social tendency to 'hush' such things up. But those were the days when the church have much more 'clout'. Those days are gone and so are those reasons.

Also, let me mention that there was systematic abuse of children in the thirties by the 'Brothers' and I would not dare to discount the possibility that there could exist today the remnant of a long established club of paedophiles that has used the church as a safe haven. My problem is that church rules seem to offer a modicum of protection to such a club if it does exist. Why take the chance?
    Breaking an oath might but I really doubt it. To which canon does this refer?

I just read that that was a possible consequence. But as I said before, why should a child be bound by a contract that prevents him or her from going to the guards to report a crime? How does the church's interests weigh against the child's interests in that regard?

I want to be clear, and fair too, my criticisms of clergy abusing children are not confined to the clergy; I think the Gardai and the State have dishonoured themselves just as much as those few errant priests have disgraced the church.

Shame on all their houses.
    You would be wrong there. The whole thing was discussed before. The point about the secret of the confessional not to be discussed by priests under a tribunal is specifically stated if i recall that it was to protect the VICTIM in case that talking about it would prejudiced the case so that the perpetrator could avoid criminal prosecution. Again all in the earlier discussion IIR.

I think that that is a bit of a cop-out.

How many avoided criminal prosecution because it was not talked about?
    Again IIR the psychological effect of abuse last longer and do more damage e.g. emotional abuse is worse in this sense than physical or sexual abuse.

Yes, that's right; a darkened room filled with officious-looking men with questions and a little boy.

The term is 'BULLYING'.
    It may seem that way to you but you would be wrong about that. What do you expect the Church to do?

I expect the church to perform Mass and other theatrical events and to cooperate with the state in dealing with paedophilia.
    HOW is the entire system corrupt?

Entire?

Just the bits that allow unqualified personnel to deal with traumatised children.
    I think people are going into a frenzy about it and becoming paranoid. In the park when a child goes out of sight parents are running around like headless chickens. It didnt happen 30 years ago. i have no reason to believe there is a smaller percentage of abusers today. I also feel the above parents have the idea that a man is waiting in the bushes to abduct children. How many children were abducted in Ireland in the last decade? Ten ? twenty? Two? It is always wrong but more children are run over by cars.

Yes, it is unfortunate that band-wagons get jumped on. I happen to know people, fathers of children who dare not participate in bathing their children.

You are right; the media have 'forced' us to look at our children sexually and I don't know about you but I find it disturbing to see a thirteen-year old girl wearing a T-shirt with 'FCUK Guaranteed' written on it. It's a perverse society that can reconcile its attitudes to child sexuality (such as they are) with its actions (such as they are).

But a possible 'peadophile club must be looked into, no?
    In short yes we need procedures to ensure children have a safe and healthy upbringing but we also need to trust some people and not be worked up and sentationalising pedophilia whether clerical or not. In doing so we are falling into the "politically correct" trap.

I disagree; what we need is to not trust people with our children. Make the rules so as to make trust redundant!
    for example a certain Senator running for the Presidency is currently on the run and being pilloried as promoting child abuse because he is attracted to teenage boys. Also, twenty years ago rape was getting the coverage child abuse now gets. the fickle way the tabloid press moves on to the next "Barbie the Butcher" or " Jack the Ripper" or "Serial Rapist" just shows they don't reflect real values. they reflect a sort of nasty vinvictive streak in us who want to see people punished, who want to attend executions and yell "fry him" when the current is turned on to the electric chair. I would rather a world in which the victims came first and more than that YES I would prefer a society which lessens or wipes out the opportunity or preferable the motivation to victimise.

I agree with all of that; sensationalism sells.

But eternal vigilance is vital. Somewhere right now a child is suffering for lack of it. And Murdoch doesn't give a sh*te.
    How so?

In his letter, the Pope portrayed the church as a victim of evil; an evil that can be vanquished if only the people of Ireland would talk to the sky and not eat.

I did not find one place where he said that the policy of the church needed to be adjusted. 'It's all Evil's fault. Pray and fast for all your worth. And repent!'

But he does find words of rebuke for unseen and un-named sinners, 'You know who you are and you're very, very naughty'.

I'm paraphrasing of course but do you really not see how the Pope has seperated himself and the church from paedophile priests without forsaking them. That is protectionism at its best.
    And it says?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    the abuser should have been got to before he was motivated to abuse.

Ideally yes or, at the earliest opportunity put the case in the hands of the law enforcement people.
    Yo think he should strap on a red bandana and take them out? :)

That would be cool though, wouldn't it? I'm sure it would be more effective than praying and fasting.
    But this isnt saying the church planned in a corrupt way. Or that senior people colluded.

It's not saying they didn't either.

I expect you to come back with 'burden of proof' on this but I would say again that it is dangerous to assume that the child reporting abuse is lying.
    You cant have it both ways. you cant say the letter is damning and also say it is meaningless.

It is damned by its lack of substance.
    so you believe we should have no authorities. Okayyou are an anarchist. You can still be a christian if you want.

Not sure how you got that. :confused:

To a small child in a darkened corner of the world being subjected to abuse, there is no higher authority than the abuser. Do you really not realise that?
    Only the Chruch can judge on ecclesiastical matters i.e. the Supreme court can remove a priest from their office.
    and it does not have to be a priest e.g. a Cardinal who is not a priest or a diocesean administrator who is not a priest could be over a tribunal

By all means allow the church to have its 'theatre' but it should have no part in state-law or the decision-making process which would/could lead to prosecution.
    The tribunal cant put someone in prison only a criminal court can

And since paedophiles should go to jail, a tribunal should keep its nose out of any proceedings except in order to enhance protection of children. i.e., to bring paedophiles to justice in the eyes of state-law.

ISAW said:

Immoral /= abuse.

It was you claimed "voluntary perversions." were not abuse not I.
    Self-abuse is not the same as child abuse. Certainly others can share blame in the matter of self-abuse - the drug-dealer who supplies the addict, but it is still essentially self-abuse.

But now we are back to my point. Such drug taking is usually illegal as is supplying. I suppose one point is law and order isn't necessarily about good and evil . The church is there to supply moral guidance. Even if something is legally acceptable it may be immoral.
    Why are you talking about non-clergy electing bishops? I'm asking can they sack them, remove them from office. Can they intervene in a parish and remove the priest from functioning? Or remove the bishop from his post. I don't care if he remains a priest or bishop in the sight of the Church, just that he cannot function as priest or bishop among the people. You seem to say Yes and No. So what is it?

It depends on whether you accept the Church view. But suppose you do. I would argue if Vox Populi can elect someone to an Office they can also remove that person. There might be an argument about electing pope or cardinal but for all other offices technically I would think it is possible. Vox populi happens rarely in modern times. But we are talking here about removing a parish level or diocesean level office e.g. director of education for a parish or deanery . The people could technically remove it. Even if enough of them pressurised the local Ordinary that person would act to remove them anyway. By "enough" what do I mean. there are maybe a million Catholics in Dublin. If say a thousand all felt about something that would be significant . Ten thousand would be probably impossible to deny. Now some TDs get 17,000 votes in a general election so the idea of such a petition is not ridiculous. I would reckon the local Ordinary gets less than ten such people on any issue.
    If it is Yes, that the people could have removed the paedophiles from office, preventing them from taking mass, hearing confessions, pastoring the people - then the ordinary Catholic is to blame for a big part of the abuse.

Yes as is the ordinary non Catholic ( but for the State and not for the Church elements) who could have prevented the other 99 per cent of abusers if and when they had the same level of knowledge as ordinary Catholics had of abusing clergy.
    But that is not my understanding of how the RCC is constructed. I'll be very surprised if you tell me it is.

One has to be careful here.

letter from Alcuin to Charlemagne in 798
    http://qotd.me/q2004-02-11.html
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

[And those people should not be listened to who keep saying the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the riotousness of the crowd is always very close to madness.]

So if people can award office why not the opposite? But one should be careful that this is a group of clear and informed conscience and not a "stitch up" or a mob. certainly I don't see how someone could continue in an office if even several dozen in a local parish objected to it.

It isn't as if bad practice was not acted on before . see Johns episcopacy page 45
    http://www.ohiostatepress.org/books/complete%20pdfs/gregory%20vox/04.pdf

such objections are not common however. In spite of media hype I am not aware of any.
    The power that corrupted did not have to be personal to the perpetrator - just available to get his back if he were caught. And the RCC filled that role. They protected their clerics, rather than the abused.

If power was used to protect the guilty the Church itself was abused.
    As I said, power was the enabler. It allowed paedos to emerge, as well as attracted exiting ones to the cover.

I would suggest they were attracted more by opportunity to offend than power. Power was not the causal factor in their abuse. They were already abusers before they got any power.

Where does he show bishops involved in the investigations took part in the cover-up,
    - including the papacy?
    I said all the bishops who knew of the abuse.

How many ? what were their names?
    If any did not know, they are not guilty of cover-up. Are you saying only two of the hundreds of bishops knew there was abuse?

I Dublin? Going by the Ryan reports on Dublin. Three maybe when it happened
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_scandal_in_the_Catholic_archdiocese_of_Dublin

The 2009 Report found that - "During the period under review, there were four Archbishops – Archbishops McQuaid, Ryan, McNamara and Connell. Not one of them reported his knowledge of child sexual abuse to the Gardaí throughout the 1960s, 1970s, or 1980s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy_Report
    Following publication of the Report suggestions were made in all Irish newspapers that the former and current Auxiliary bishops of Dublin should be prosecuted or resign; some of their current parishioners felt that they should not resign if they had not been prosecuted for any offence. After a gap of several weeks, and with considerable protestations of their innocence, four had tendered their resignations in late 2009

Calls were also made for the resignation of Martin Drennan, Bishop of Galway, and of other and more senior prelates formerly associated with the archdiocese. Bishop Drennan replied that he had handled abuse allegations correctly.
    The effect of resignation is to remove them from the duties of pastoral care.

I should add the child abuse commission is held in secret but I'll assume people accept there is a necessity for such secrecy.

Indeed. And the State should also be ashamed. And the family members who didn't act.
    No reports from the nuncio? No reports forwarded from the archbishops? What about America? Germany?
    I don't know. I'm not aware of a pope being told about Dublin officially or unofficially. You seem to think the Vatican was involved. any evidence?

Some bishops have resigned. Other Bishops have acted . The ones who did resign were not following their own canons. It does not good to say you are not a bishop in reply to being quizzed on your own suggestion that it is possible that some bishops never knew any abuse took place in the RCC, but that you think that rather unlikely.
    Small compared to the total number of clergy? That assumes we know of all the abuse. And Church official policy against abuse means nothing if the Church as a matter of actual policy protects the clergy rather than the abused.

But the aboive reports show the Bishops who resigned were not following the Church policy!
    Just Reason.

Wher is your reasoned argument that some of the bishops had been paedophiles themselves, and so sympathised with the perpetrators and enabled them to continue elsewhere.
    Encouraging them to self-abuse is not on same level as child-abuse. Curious that you think it is.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Your idea that abuse is not immoral , not mine.
    Indeed I do.

how many cases can you list of this.

that is one offender. Can you name another nine? Dont forget I am just asking you after all the hype and coverage to supply the list of TEN offenders wh were clergy. The stats will show tens of thousands of sexual abuse offenders over fifty years. So can you even produce a tenth of a per cent?
    How about the Papacy ordering a shut-down on accusations/evidence going outside the Church?

how about it? where is your evidence of that?

http://www.childabusecommission.ie/about/confidentialcom.htm
    The Confidential Committee will listen to a person's experiences of abuse in institutions in total confidence. The Confidential Committee will not inform anyone or any institution that a person has made an allegation against them and will not name anyone in any report.

do you approve of such secrecy?
    And I think most thinking people will recognise it as a fact of life. You are the first I have encountered who denies it. He was British, a Baron - and a Catholic - so what?

It is ironic that someone born into power should say it corrupts. if he was corrupted by his own definition how do you know he was speaking the truth? I think it is a cliche. corruption as i view it means not remaining the same. That isnt necessarily a bad thing. Corruption as others view it usually means taking bribes. I don't think that happened in the child abuse cases.

corruption of change or corruption of bribes?
    The power structures of modern societies has not caused any of their moral improvements. Christianity has. But power structures within Christianity have always tended to corrupt the ethics of the individual and organisation.

The ethics have remained the same. some people didnt subscribe to them.
    Likewise fianna Fáil have vlaues but a core of people who thought they were FF took over that Party. Nothing on that level happened in the RCC in relation to child abuse.
    Power does not demand corruption, just tends toward it. Powerful people/institutions have a duty to guard their hearts.

If you are saying the ability to wield power mitigates the person to ignore morality if such morality suggests they weaken their power then I have no problem agreeing with you.

what examples?
    Again, I'm depending on reports of priests abusing several in one locality, being moved on and abusing several more, and on again. You saying that did not happen? That most abusers stayed put or stopped offending?

No im saying in Ireland such cases were rare. You will note a lot of the cases are not in ordinary parishes but in hospitals homes etc. Brendan Smith I would say is the exception rather than the rule.

On a broader level I dont know. care to enlighten me? But I do know that more abusers operated outside the church .At least a hundred times more. And I am not aware the Vatical compiled reports of clerics and had a policy of covering them up. I am aware some Bishops acted against canon law and covered up some abusers . By some I mean maybe a dozen and not hundreds. One of these cases Smyth abused dozens of children however.
    They sure can - and it is the powerful who do it, not the common people. Are you saying you should expect no more from your Church than you do from your politicians?

WE get more moral guidance from church leaders then from politicians. Are you saying Dermot Martin is corrupt because he used his power to expose his predecessors? you do know he also worked in a church institution for deprived boys as some abusers did?

Source?
    I didn't say they had stopped. Who knows? Less opportunity? Living on past pleasures? New forms of entertainment? Genuine repentance and forsaking the sin?

Or new procedures; church action to protect children?

Indeed. And the State should also be ashamed. And the family members who didn't act.
    Victims and family members and the State who did not act ( in reporting or highlighting the abuses at the time ) were silenced by the RC Church. It was covered up. People were told to keep quiet about it, that it was not wrong. They were told if they complained they would be speaking out about the Church. The Church was all powerful and knew best. Priests were moved to another parish or abroad and victims were told to forget about it and ridiculed if they mentioned it. Complaining about Priests / Brothers was akin to heresy and was not tolerated. Thats why most people suspect the number of boys who were abused by clergy / religous is higher than the 5.8% ( of all abusers) in the SAVI report statistics. Yes the state should be ashamed, but for much of the 20th century there was close ties between church and state in Ireland. However our government, in their 2009 report found that sexual abuse and its cover up was endemic in the RCC church ...but its astonishing how some people would still defend the abuse + its cover up. Anyone hear the interview on the 200+ abusers on the radio ( Pat Kenny show ) on Tuesday morning, when discussing RCC abuse. Shameful neglect in so powerful an organisation.

Victims and family members and the State who did not act ( in reporting or highlighting the abuses at the time ) were silenced by the RC Church.

Given 99 per cent plus of abuser were not clergy could you explain how the church was silencing the other non clerical abuse?
    You are saying the Church were covering up non clerical abuse in addition to the clerical less than one per cent of abuse? Where is the evidence of that and how was that protecting the Church or in their interest?
    It was covered up.

non clerical abuse? By the church?
    People were told to keep quiet about it, that it was not wrong.

I am not aware of any cases where people were told sexually abusing kids was not wrong. Have you any examples?
    They were told if they complained they would be speaking out about the Church. The Church was all powerful and knew best.

Any examples? These are few if any but if any were told that they were told it against Church rules.
    Priests were moved to another parish or abroad and victims were told to forget about it and ridiculed if they mentioned it.

Ridiculed? Again any examples?
    Complaining about Priests / Brothers was akin to heresy and was not tolerated.

Any examples?
    Thats why most people suspect the number of boys who were abused by clergy / religous is higher than the 5.8% ( of all abusers) in the SAVI report statistics.

you are lying again!

The statistic for clergy is 1.9 per cent for boys the "religious" is not religious orders or ministers it is "teachers of the religion subject" i.e. catechists NOT clergy

the clergy included non Catholic ministers and amounts to SIX cases from an opinion poll!

the 1.9 % is the percentage of abusers and most would consider it an OVER estimate not that it should be HIGHER! Other surveys suggest under 1 per cent.

Please stop lying about these stats!
    Yes the state should be ashamed, but for much of the 20th century there was close ties between church and state in Ireland.

Yes. So what? In america there are no such legal ties and the stats are comparable.
    However our government, in their 2009 report found that sexual abuse and its cover up was endemic in the RCC church ...but its astonishing how some people would still defend the abuse + its cover up. Shameful neglect in so powerful an organisation.

If you are suggesting I am like that you are lying again. I defended no abuse and no coverup. several bishops resigned and the Church brought in procedures.

Given 99 per cent plus of abuser were not clergy
    link please ? And do not forget the Brothers ! ..and what percentage they were responsible for .

Priests incidentally are only 00.06 % of the population now, and still decreasing .
    In america there are no such legal ties and the stats are comparable.
    Close on 70% of people in America believe the RCC frequently abuse children...remember the survey taken by Newsweek magazine , link given earlier. ...and peoples experience of the Protestant churches there is far better, though not perfect either, as everyone is human. People in America do not believe McDonalds frequently abuses children, or do not believe the Baptist church there fequently abuses children. This suggests one of the root causes why child sexual abuse is endemic ( the word used by the government ) in the RCC is because of celibacy, and the institution of the RCC itself + how it handles these cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Close on 70% of people in America believe the RCC frequently abuse children...remember the survey taken by Newsweek magazine , link given earlier. ...and peoples experience of the Protestant churches there is far better, though not perfect either, as everyone is human. People in America do not believe McDonalds frequently abuses children, or do not believe the Baptist church there fequently abuses children. This suggests one of the root causes why child sexual abuse is endemic ( the word used by the government ) in the RCC is because of celibacy, and the institution of the RCC itself + how it handles these cases.

Surely this is a case of people, your self included, believing what they read, hear or see via the mainstream media, most of which is agenda driven, Newsweek being an excellent example.

Facts are there is no evidence to suggest the clergy of any faith are more or less likely to abuse and any other person.
    Not is there any evidence to suggest that celibacy is a contributing factor especially given that the majority of abusers have no vow of celibacy over them. Homosexuals who subscribe to pederasty are a different matter and not all are clergy.

What people believe suggests they believe something. Nothing more. There is no inference that can suggest anything about the Catholic church or its clergy, only evidence.

if you want to subscribe to ad-populum fallacy that's your business, but do bear in mind that it does not support your argument.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the tone of my last but one post. I was rude and disrespectful and I am sorry. It was late, I had been drinking and I was angry; I should have waited before I posted.

If you are stating this without a moderator having to draw it to you attention I accept your apology and thank you for your honesty.

which, you will accept, is problematic; unqualified personnel deciding what is or is not an established case of abuse; could an offer of compensation cause an abuse-victim not to want to take a case further? In the context of child-protection, this seems like an unnecessary 'loop-hole'.

Yes but as I understand it in a criminal case the victim or anyone else does not get to decide not to prosecute the DPP does. Maybe Germany is different?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/16/vatican-sex-abuse-guidelines-criticised

Whilst I understand that what you are saying is in regard to established rules and laws, and as such I would agree with you in the sense that the rules of the church have been adhered to, you must surely concede that the opportunity to pervert the course of justice is there.

If so charge them with perverting justice ! If the crime does not exist create one. That isn't the business of the Church but of legislature.
    It seems that the church authorities would prefer to assume that a child who makes an allegation of abuse is lying and that is a dangerous path to take.

Assuming guilt is possibly even worse. That is the tenet on which the whole criminal system is built. Not he Church the criminal system. We assume innocence and prove guilt.
    Taking your 'in camera' point,

with respect to church judgements and trials and not state ones?
    suppose a child who had signed an 'oath of silence' were to subsequently report the abuse to the Gardai; should that child expect recriminations for violating the oath and should that child's case be 'thrown out' on a 'breach of contract' basis? If you answer no to both clauses then you demonstate the problem with church law.
    I have addressed the "secrecy " issue before.
    We have to get the broad picture here.

Of the sexual offences committed by clergy only about 10 per cent are with children i.e pedophilia. Soem are with adults some with teenagers.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CANONLAW/delictagraviora.HTM

Monsignor Charles J. Scicluna, director of a tribunal inside the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith
    the Congregation had been called upon to examine "accusations concerning around 3,000 cases of diocesan and religious priests, which refer to offences committed over the last 50 years"...

"We can say that about 60% of the cases chiefly involved sexual attraction towards adolescents of the same sex, another 30% involved heterosexual relations, and the remaining 10% were cases of pedophilia in the true sense of the term; that is, based on sexual attraction towards prepubescent children"
    he annual average reported to the Congregation from around the world has been 250 cases" of delicta graviora out of a total number of 400,000 diocesan and religious priests in the world.

Now as regards your "secrecy" suggestion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimen_sollicitationis
    Crimen sollicitationis (Latin: the crime of soliciting) is the title of a 1962 document ("Instruction") of the Holy Office (which is now called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) codifying procedures to be followed in cases of priests or bishops of the Catholic Church accused of having used the sacrament of Penance to make sexual advances to penitents

Section 11 of Crimen sollicitationis outlines the required confidentiality of the investigation into accusations of the crime of solicitation.

http://www.richardsipe.com/Docs_and_Controversy/2010-03-04-solicitation.html
    Paragraph 23
    "According to the 1922 and 1962 documents, accusers and witnesses are bound by the secrecy obligation during and after the process but certainly not prior to the initiation of the process. There is no basis to assume that the Holy See envisioned this process to be a substitute for any secular legal process, criminal or civil. It is also incorrect to assume, as some have unfortunately done, that these two Vatican documents are proof of a conspiracy to hide sexually abusive priests or to prevent the disclosure of sexual crimes committed by clerics to secular authorities."

and Paragraph 24
    To fully understand the overriding concern for secrecy one must also understand the traditional canonical concept known as the 'Privilege of the Forum' privilegium fori which has its roots in medieval Canon Law. Basically this is a traditional privilege claimed by the institutional church whereby clerics accused of crimes were tried before ecclesiastical courts and not brought before civil or secular courts. Although this privilege is anachronistic in contemporary society, the attitude or mentality which holds clerics accountable only to the institutional church authorities is still active. This does not mean that the official Church believes that clerics accused of crimes should not to be held accountable. It means that during certain periods in history the Church has believed that it alone should have the right to subject accused clerics to a judicial process."

Are you saying that since Brady was 'just following ze orders' he should be exhonorated?

no. I'm saying he was not the one deciding to cover anything up of such a cover up occurred. If it did tit was the bishop and or gardai/RUC/DPP/CPS ( Crown prosecution services)
    It doesn't matter; we are talking about paedophilia which is unacceptable in both states. Arrest warrants could have, and should have, been issued.

for what crime? Rape of a boy didnt exist in the South then. Extradition didnt exist. In the North no Catholic would give a statement to the RUC.
    Rape of boys didn't exist? It was acceptable until when? Sodomy! Unlawful carnal knowledge! Assault! There are plenty of alternative charges and a few column inches should get an errant priest run out of town minus his religious icon.

If there were such crimes what do you suggest they should be charged with? Even forget the Smith case and RUC ramifications and take a case only in the Republic of Ireland. Sodomy might not have occurred.

CRIMINAL LAW AMENDMENT ACT, 1935.
    Any person who attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of any girl under the age of fifteen years shall be guilty of a misdemeanour and shall be liable, in the case of a first conviction of such misdemeanour, to penal servitude for any term not exceeding five years nor less than three years or to imprisonment for any term not exceeding two years

Only for girls and might get two years.

Ther is no Criminal law ammendment from 1935 to 1976 andthe 76 one was on Juristiction and not covering sexual offences. The State was fairly lagging behind the Church in terms of procedures.

Look here for law before 1980 and you wont see it:
    http://www.interpol.int/public/Children/SexualAbuse/NationalLaws/csaIreland.asp
    But I get what you are saying; there was a social tendency to 'hush' such things up. But those were the days when the church have much more 'clout'. Those days are gone and so are those reasons.

and since 1990 you have all the other laws on sexual crimes being introduced.
    Also, let me mention that there was systematic abuse of children in the thirties by the 'Brothers'
    dont tell me
    I was that soldier and I witnessed and suffered much of what today would be called physical abuse mostly by lay teachers not brothers but no sexual abuse.
    and I would not dare to discount the possibility that there could exist today the remnant of a long established club of paedophiles that has used the church as a safe haven.

Or freemasons or invisible unicorns?
    My problem is that church rules seem to offer a modicum of protection to such a club if it does exist. Why take the chance?

What church rules? I told you the abuse was against church rules and the covering up of it was laready also against church law.
    I just read that that was a possible consequence. But as I said before, why should a child be bound by a contract that prevents him or her from going to the guards to report a crime? How does the church's interests weigh against the child's interests in that regard?

Please read above about the "secrecy" myth.
    I want to be clear, and fair too, my criticisms of clergy abusing children are not confined to the clergy; I think the Gardai and the State have dishonoured themselves just as much as those few errant priests have disgraced the church.

Yes 250 clergy possibly worldwide over 50 years out of hundreds of thousands of clergy.. But there were lots more non clergy.
    Shame on all their houses.

You wont get me to disagree with that.
    Yes, it is unfortunate that band-wagons get jumped on. I happen to know people, fathers of children who dare not participate in bathing their children.

such are the invisible damages of abusers and of those that sensationalise abuse.
    You are right; the media have 'forced' us to look at our children sexually and I don't know about you but I find it disturbing to see a thirteen-year old girl wearing a T-shirt with 'FCUK Guaranteed' written on it. It's a perverse society that can reconcile its attitudes to child sexuality (such as they are) with its actions (such as they are).

And the media and adverts are sexualising six year olds. Now we are singing from the same hymnsheet.
    But a possible 'peadophile club must be looked into, no?

bit of a conspiracy theory there. Any evidence?
    I disagree; what we need is to not trust people with our children. Make the rules so as to make trust redundant!

Yes but then you are back to the father who wont wash his own kids.
    But eternal vigilance is vital. Somewhere right now a child is suffering for lack of it. And Murdoch doesn't give a sh*te.

Media corporations are in the business to make money and protect that interest. That is their bottom line.
    I did not find one place where he said that the policy of the church needed to be adjusted. 'It's all Evil's fault. Pray and fast for all your worth. And repent!'

the policy was not followed. Bishop Martin has adjusted things to see it is.
    I'm paraphrasing of course but do you really not see how the Pope has seperated himself and the church from paedophile priests without forsaking them. That is protectionism at its best.

Even an abuser is open to atonement.
    I expect you to come back with 'burden of proof' on this but I would say again that it is dangerous to assume that the child reporting abuse is lying.

Things can be investigated but guilt should not be assumed. Look at the Dublin report.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy_Report
    timeframe from 1975 to 2004... 2,800 priests... Out of 172 named priests,
    eleven either confessed to, or had been convicted of abuse, there was one clear case of false accusation, and two priests had not been accused of abuse but suspicions had been raised

That's eleven in 2,800
    And since paedophiles should go to jail, a tribunal should keep its nose out of any proceedings except in order to enhance protection of children. i.e., to bring paedophiles to justice in the eyes of state-law.

the first concern should always be to the victim and not the punishment of guilty.

ISAW said:
    Quote:
    Immoral /= abuse.

It was you claimed "voluntary perversions." were not abuse not I.
    Exactly. One can get drunk, and that is immoral but not abuse of others. Self-abuse. Child abuse, what we are discussing here, is extremely immoral and not self-abuse.
    Quote:

But now we are back to my point. Such drug taking is usually illegal as is supplying. I suppose one point is law and order isn't necessarily about good and evil . The church is there to supply moral guidance. Even if something is legally acceptable it may be immoral.
    Child abuse and being an accomplice in it by cover-up and enablement is our topic.
    Quote:

It depends on whether you accept the Church view. But suppose you do. I would argue if Vox Populi can elect someone to an Office they can also remove that person. There might be an argument about electing pope or cardinal but for all other offices technically I would think it is possible. Vox populi happens rarely in modern times. But we are talking here about removing a parish level or diocesean level office e.g. director of education for a parish or deanery . The people could technically remove it. Even if enough of them pressurised the local Ordinary that person would act to remove them anyway. By "enough" what do I mean. there are maybe a million Catholics in Dublin. If say a thousand all felt about something that would be significant . Ten thousand would be probably impossible to deny. Now some TDs get 17,000 votes in a general election so the idea of such a petition is not ridiculous. I would reckon the local Ordinary gets less than ten such people on any issue.
    I'm amazed. I never knew the ordinary Catholic people could get rid of their parish priest and/or bishop if they knew he was guilty of a great sin. I always though it was up to the bishops/papacy. I thought they ruled the RCC not only in doctrine but order.
    Quote:

Yes as is the ordinary non Catholic ( but for the State and not for the Church elements) who could have prevented the other 99 per cent of abusers if and when they had the same level of knowledge as ordinary Catholics had of abusing clergy.
    The Protestant neighbour would be the last to know about the Catholic priest abusing kids. Why bring him into it? The first response was with the RCC officials. Then the police. Or vice versa if the parent didn't care what the Church said.

But the fact is, most Catholics did not know in each case. The parents knew, and brought it to their bishop. They expected him to do what was right, being good obedient Catholics.

You are saying they should have called the local church together and ordered the priest to quit? Barred him from entry?
    Quote:

One has to be careful here.

letter from Alcuin to Charlemagne in 798
    http://qotd.me/q2004-02-11.html
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

[And those people should not be listened to who keep saying the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the riotousness of the crowd is always very close to madness.]
    The people can be wrong, no doubt. But the issue here is, do the RC people have the authority to remove sinful priests, even against the wishes of the bishop?
    So if people can award office why not the opposite?
    Do the local Catholics elect their priest or bishop???
    But one should be careful that this is a group of clear and informed conscience and not a "stitch up" or a mob. certainly I don't see how someone could continue in an office if even several dozen in a local parish objected to it.
    Would it not be more likely that the several would be the ones removed?
    It isn't as if bad practice was not acted on before . see Johns episcopacy page 45
    http://www.ohiostatepress.org/books/...y%20vox/04.pdf

such objections are not common however. In spite of media hype I am not aware of any.
    I did not read the whole article, but gather it was a popular rising that enforced change. Are you saying that the RCC regards that as a proper means of exercising rule in the Church? That local Catholics can properly do so today?
    Quote:

If power was used to protect the guilty the Church itself was abused.
    By RCC here I mean the authorities of that church. They are to blame, not the ordinary members.
    Quote:

I would suggest they were attracted more by opportunity to offend than power. Power was not the causal factor in their abuse. They were already abusers before they got any power.
    They have the opportunity to offend any where a child walks. But they do not take all those opportunities, only those where they think they will go unnoticed or if noticed will be covered-up for. The place of power to gain access, to intimidate the victim, intimidate the parents, and have the backing of his superiors.
    Quote:

Where does he show bishops involved in the investigations took part in the cover-up,
    - including the papacy?
    For example:
    THE POPE, THE CHURCH AND SEXUAL ABUSE: A PERSPECTIVE
    http://www.companionsinhope.com/Sunlight/Commentary/Doyle-PerspectiveOnPope.htm

http://reform-network.net/?p=1657

http://www.remnantofgod.org/ratzinger-abuse3.htm

http://fatherlasch.com/article/1080/secret-no-longer

http://http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week643/interview2.html

http://http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/14/us/scandals-church-overview-law-citing-abuse-scandal-quits-boston-archbishop-asks.html

http://www.companionsinhope.com/Commentary.htm

I particularly remember the documentary he did:
    Deliver Us from Evil
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814075/
    Quote:
    I said all the bishops who knew of the abuse.

How many ? what were their names?
    Not sure - more than a few. Check out the above for a start. I'm not taking notes. You are the one with the problem Church.
    Quote:
    If any did not know, they are not guilty of cover-up. Are you saying only two of the hundreds of bishops knew there was abuse?

I Dublin? Going by the Ryan reports on Dublin. Three maybe when it happened
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_...cese_of_Dublin
    Three in Dublin. And in the rest of Ireland? And the rest of the world?
    Quote:

We agree on that - but the parents are no where near as blameworthy as the rest, living in fear of the Church.
    Quote:

I don't know. I'm not aware of a pope being told about Dublin officially or unofficially. You seem to think the Vatican was involved. any evidence?
    No, just surprise that the Vatican would be in ignorance of what was going on in church or state.
    Quote:

Some bishops have resigned. Other Bishops have acted . The ones who did resign were not following their own canons. It does not good to say you are not a bishop in reply to being quizzed on your own suggestion that it is possible that some bishops never knew any abuse took place in the RCC, but that you think that rather unlikely.
    Not being a bishop, I don't have the solemn responsibility to know what's happening to my flock.
    Quote:

But the aboive reports show the Bishops who resigned were not following the Church policy!
    Official policy as opposed to actual, day to day policy.
    Quote:
    Just Reason.

Wher is your reasoned argument that some of the bishops had been paedophiles themselves, and so sympathised with the perpetrators and enabled them to continue elsewhere.
    A proportion of priests are undoubtedly paedophiles. The bishops are drawn from the ranks of the priests. Would it not be expected that a similar proportion of bishops are paedophiles?
    Quote:

Two wrongs do not make a right. Your idea that abuse is not immoral , not mine.
    Never said it did. Only that self-abuse is not as wicked as child sex abuse. both are immoral, but one is more so than the other.
    Quote:
    Indeed I do.

how many cases can you list of this.
    Doyle's documentary covered a few; his other works name more. In Ireland, Brendan Smyth to start. Was there any who were not moved on?
    Quote:

that is one offender. Can you name another nine? Dont forget I am just asking you after all the hype and coverage to supply the list of TEN offenders wh were clergy. The stats will show tens of thousands of sexual abuse offenders over fifty years. So can you even produce a tenth of a per cent?
    I'm not arguing that most sex abuse is by clergy. Just that it is particularly wicked to have it covered up and enabled by moving the paedo on.
    Quote:

how about it? where is your evidence of that?
    Check Doyle above.
    http://www.childabusecommission.ie/a...dentialcom.htm
    Quote:
    The Confidential Committee will listen to a person's experiences of abuse in institutions in total confidence. The Confidential Committee will not inform anyone or any institution that a person has made an allegation against them and will not name anyone in any report.

do you approve of such secrecy?
    No. Those who receive such reports have a duty to protect future victims, so if the present victim is unwilling for any action being taken against the abuser, they should not report it. Once reported, those who hear must ensure the accused cannot re-offend.
    Quote:

It is ironic that someone born into power should say it corrupts. if he was corrupted by his own definition how do you know he was speaking the truth?
    He never said it corrupts - he said it tends to corrupt.
    I think it is a cliche. corruption as i view it means not remaining the same.
    That is a unique definition of 'corrupt'! The rest of mankind reads it as:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corrupt
    That isnt necessarily a bad thing. Corruption as others view it usually means taking bribes. I don't think that happened in the child abuse cases.
    Taking bribes is only one form of corruption. Covering up evil is another. committing the evil another. Check the definitions above.
    Quote:

corruption of change or corruption of bribes?
    Corruption of sexual abuse and corruption of covering it up.
    Quote:

The ethics have remained the same. some people didnt subscribe to them.
    Likewise fianna Fáil have vlaues but a core of people who thought they were FF took over that Party. Nothing on that level happened in the RCC in relation to child abuse.
    The formal ethics of the RCC remained - but the people in power, the bishops, covered up the failure of those ethics in the lives of its priests and religious, and in doing so failed in the ethics themselves.
    Quote:

If you are saying the ability to wield power mitigates the person to ignore morality if such morality suggests they weaken their power then I have no problem agreeing with you.
    I've no idea what you mean by this. I mean that the powerful should know they are in a position of temptation by virtue of their power, and should take special care not to be corrupted.
    Quote:

what examples?
    As above.
    Quote:

No im saying in Ireland such cases were rare. You will note a lot of the cases are not in ordinary parishes but in hospitals homes etc. Brendan Smith I would say is the exception rather than the rule.

On a broader level I dont know. care to enlighten me? But I do know that more abusers operated outside the church .At least a hundred times more. And I am not aware the Vatical compiled reports of clerics and had a policy of covering them up. I am aware some Bishops acted against canon law and covered up some abusers . By some I mean maybe a dozen and not hundreds. One of these cases Smyth abused dozens of children however.
    Doyle gives more figures and names.
    Quote:

WE get more moral guidance from church leaders then from politicians. Are you saying Dermot Martin is corrupt because he used his power to expose his predecessors? you do know he also worked in a church institution for deprived boys as some abusers did?
    Again, power does not necessarily corrupt- it tends to corrupt. Not all the powerful are corrupt. But it was powerful people who did the cover ups.
    Quote:

Source?
    As above.
    Quote:

Or new procedures; church action to protect children?
    Yes, that falls under 'less opportunity'.

**********************************************************************************

Festus wrote: »
    Not is there any evidence to suggest that celibacy is a contributing factor especially given that the majority of abusers have no vow of celibacy over them.
    Its time someone did a study in to that, give the high incidence of abuse in the RCC church. ( "endemic" is the word our giovernment used in relation to same, in its 2009 report findings. ). Bear in mind celibacy, like many practices in the RCC church, was only introduced between the 4th and 11th century AD.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy_(Catholic_Church)
    Maybe the human species was never meant to be celibate, with its pent up sexual and emotional frustrations?
    The only 4 Irish institutions the UN committee on Torture ever ordered an investigation in to were all run by celibate religous people. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0607/magdalene.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

Its time someone did a study in to that, give the high incidence of abuse in the RCC church. ( "endemic" is the word our giovernment used in relation to same, in its 2009 report findings. ). Bear in mind celibacy, like many practices in the RCC church, was only introduced between the 4th and 11th century AD.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy_(Catholic_Church)
    Maybe the human species was never meant to be celibate, with its pent up sexual and emotional frustrations?
    The only 4 Irish institutions the UN committee on Torture ever ordered an investigation in to were all run by celibate religous people. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0607/magdalene.html

Where's your evidence being celibate was a cause of the abuse ?

Advertisement