Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clerical Child Abuse Thread (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

MrPudding wrote: »
    Well, now that there is a chance the higher ups will be held liable for the wrong doings of their agents perhaps that little extra motivation might help spur them on a bit.

In fairness that is how is has been dealt with up to now so the judgement just reaffirms the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

yutta wrote: »
    Do you think former Taoisigh, senior civil servants, judges, medical doctors and social workers should be held to similar standards? Or is it just the Church you have a gripe with?
    What similar standards? The standards of vicarious liability? Those standards apply to any employer. Who do patient sue for medical malpractice? The doctor or the hospital?

Personally I think that if someone has broken a law with respect to child abuse then they should be charged and prosecuted. That is pretty simple. I don't care if they are a priest or a social worker or a civil servant.

It gets more complicated when they haven't actually broken a law as such, and have simply been negligent in their work.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

What similar standards? The standards of vicarious liability? Those standards apply to any employer. Who do patient sue for medical malpractice? The doctor or the hospital?

Wrong. If a doctor sexually abuses a patient, they go to jail and are sued. http://www.fox19.com/story/15715766/tri-state-doctor-sued-for-alleged-sexual-abuse-of-a-patient

If a priest doesn't turn up for a wedding (equivalent malpractice), the parish can get sued, yes.

People like you who are out to get the Church will never be satisfied until the last member of the Faithful has gone to their final resting place and the Church no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Wrong. If a doctor sexually abuses a patient, they go to jail and are sued. http://www.fox19.com/story/15715766/tri-state-doctor-sued-for-alleged-sexual-abuse-of-a-patient

If a priest doesn't turn up for a wedding (equivalent malpractice), the parish can get sued, yes.

People like you who are out to get the Church will never be satisfied until the last member of the Faithful has gone to their final resting place and the Church no longer exists.

Take off the tin hat there. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with accountability. Nobody's saying the Church should be shut down. What they are saying is that they should be held to the same standards as other organisations.

What's the problem with that?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Take off the tin hat there. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with accountability. Nobody's saying the Church should be shut down. What they are saying is that they should be held to the same standards as other organisations.

Accountable to who exactly? What worldly institution should regulate the workings of a religion? Would you be in favour of Chinese-style religious licensing? Who'd regulate the regulators?

Nothing wrong with holding individuals to account. That's up to the DPP - not to you. And the Church have no problem with obeying the just laws of the land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Nothing wrong with holding individuals to account. That's up to the DPP - not to you. And the Church have no problem with obeying the just laws of the land.

To be honest, there seems to be some doubt about that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/nov/09/monks-schoool-abuse-st-benedict-ealing?newsfeed=true
    A fugitive priest wanted in connection with child sex abuse allegations has been urged to turn himself in by one of the country's top lawyers, who said his absence caused difficulties to a damning review of decades of paedophile activity at a top Catholic school.

Laurence Soper, the former abbot of Ealing abbey – which has been the subject of an inquiry from Lord Carlile QC and an internal Vatican investigation following disclosures of alleged and proven abuse at neighbouring St Benedict's – skipped bail last month and is thought to be living in an Italian monastery.

Carlile, who published his findings on Wednesday, said: "I would encourage Laurence Soper to surrender himself to the police. He may feel he owes a personal and ethical duty to answer whatever questions are put to him. I regret the difficulties Laurence Soper has caused to the [inquiry] process.

"What I hope is that everybody who has, and has had, contact with Laurence Soper should inveigh upon him very strongly to surrender himself to the British authorities."

He added that an international arrest warrant was being issued.

Soper appeared in Carlile's report as one of five clergy tried or wanted for questioning in relation to paedophile activity involving pupils.

A member of the clergy, subject to an arrest warrant in connection with child abuse, crosses borders to hide out in a monastery. It's as if nobody has learned anything from the Brendan Smyth case. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

PDN wrote: »
    To be honest, there seems to be some doubt about that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/nov/09/monks-schoool-abuse-st-benedict-ealing?newsfeed=true

A member of the clergy, subject to an arrest warrant in connection with child abuse, crosses borders to hide out in a monastery. It's as if nobody has learned anything from the Brendan Smyth case. :(

Will it never end ?? There are some over on the embassy closure thread still disputing the existence of collusion . I truly do despair at times.

Accountable to who exactly? What worldly institution should regulate the workings of a religion? Would you be in favour of Chinese-style religious licensing? Who'd regulate the regulators?

To the state in which they operate. You'd swear the UK were looking to prevent religious practice by the content of some posts here. They're not, they're looking to hold the Church accountable for it's own priests who abused children.

I still fail to see why this is a problem.

Um, I hope I am not breaking bad news to you, but we don't live in the US of A. The particular case we are referring to is a UK case.

The majority of malpractice cases in the UK will have the doctor as a defendant but also the hospital of health authority that he works for as a second defendant.

Clearly I would be delighted if the rcc disappeared, but I am realistic enough to realise that that is unlikely to happen. In the meantime, I am quite happy for victims, of priests or not, compensated for the harm they have suffered. I am also happy for that compensation to come from, and a portion of the blame to be directed to, the perpetrator's employer should the courts see fit.

I am not looking for the church to be treated more harshly, in legal terms, I am looking for them to be treated just like anyone else. The issue you seem to have here is that everyone is out to get them. They aren't, you are seeing a normalisation of the treatment they receive. They aren't being treated worse than other sections, they are simply having their special treatment removed and being treated like any other organisation with criminal as employees.

MrP

''obeying the just laws of the land'' you say ? who decides which is which ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭PatricaMcKay2

marienbad wrote: »

They have no problem obeying the laws of the land when its in their own, when its not cannon law trumps secular law, and of course cannon law can be chucked out for the concept of the "Good of the Church".

They have no problem obeying the laws of the land when its in their own, when its not cannon law trumps secular law, and of course cannon law can be chucked out for the concept of the "Good of the Church".

so it means we obey what we like, when we like, how we like ! I suppose I could add and with whom we like .

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's

so it means we obey what we like, when we like, how we like ! I suppose I could add and with whom we like .

Abortion and the death penalty, while legal in some countries, are immoral.

Laws that force clergy to divulge the secrets of the confessional are unjust.

Just because something is legal (the opinion of the legislators of the day) doesn't mean it's right.

Just because something is legal (the opinion of the legislators of the day) doesn't mean it's right.

Lets set aside the issues of concience for a moment and look at other cases. Who decides ? for instance child abuse is both illegal and immoral but the church decided not to report it. Embezzlement of church funds is another one ?

How on earth do you figure that the death penalty is immoral?

Also its foolish to talk blanketly about abortion; what stage in the pregnancy it takes place in is hugely important to assessing the morality or immorality of that operation.

Let's test this.

Person walks into confessional, confesses to child abuse. The priest clearly has to report this (though he shouldn't need a law to come to this conclusion).

Who is the law being unjust to in this case? The priest? The child abuser? The child? Or the Church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Let's test this.

Person walks into confessional, confesses to child abuse. The priest clearly has to report this (though he shouldn't need a law to come to this conclusion).

Who is the law being unjust to in this case? The priest? The child abuser? The child? Or the Church?

It used to be always against the law to withold any information regarding any crime.

So, I've no problem with any such law, just as long as it now also applies regardless to Doctors, Solicitors, and everyone else as well.

This law was never meant to be specifically aimed at anyone, but instead the media kept trying to make it only about catholic priests and confessions, which is a farce, as confession is normally an anonymous sacrement, that does not contain names or details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andrew49

ISAW wrote: »
    And my words referred to the special postition being removed. I never claimed that before it was removed it was not there in the constituion and I resent you call me an idiot when I clearly pointed out it was there and it was removed.

But you should revel in a description that's puts you on a par with Cardinal Desmond Connell - after all Connell and the Church claimed complete ignorance of the widespread abuse of children by clergy in the Dublin Diocese - for decades, yet we now know that the Church (at the insistence of Dessie) had insurance taken out by dioceses around the country to cover them against allegations of clerical child sex abuse. And the archdiocese itself had at least 5,000 documents in a secret archive on abusing clergy in Dublin at the same time as they were denial!!

I also pointed out that whle ther were problems with "Holy Catholic Authoritarian Ireland" and the religious institutions with respect to child Care the State currently is in charge of child vcare abnd over 200children have died under their authority in the last then years!

There you go being the typical Catholic Church abuse apologist - finger-pointing. Does 200 children dead children over 10 years compare to locking 35 children in a dormitory and watching them burn to death?

Well does it?

Does it compare to packing 240 children into a space fit only to hold 50 children and then turn a blind eye as the children's health suffers and one of them dies?

Does it compare to 7 children dying over 11 days in one institution - all 7 children's deaths STILL unaccounted for?

Does it compare to 2,400 children dying in just ONE institution over 40 years (between 1930 up to 1970) - that's an attrition rate for ONE institution of 60 children dying every year!

Gainsaying is not argument. How is "you have switched from the point of "child abuse" being related to golf clubs as a comparison between the Church and other organisations such as golf clubs to a clear attack on the church as having a "special place" in the constitution and which should not be allowed in education or to have control over schools. If people want the local golf club management to run a school they have the right to campaign for that." idiotic?

The rules of the Catholic Church have no more relevance in Irish law than the rule of the local golf club. You might think they have but I disagree and so does Irish law. Get over it. Your Church protected itself and ruined children's lives. Whatever position it held prior to the Cloyne, Murphy, Ryan, McCoy, Ferns Reports, it no longer holds - and never will again. It's no more fit to mind children than it is to mind golf clubs.

More gainsaying. What evidence shows the Church was worse than the non-Church management? I have shown over 200 dead kids over the last ten years in State care when only last year they claimed it was 30 over ten years!

It's attitude. It thinks Clyone, Murphy, Ryan, McCoy, Ferns can be put aside. The Christian Brothers claimed only 77 children died in one of its Institutions - the truth we now know is that 100 children died in that Institution... one of these children was only 4 years old and his lifeless body was just thrown in a copse by the Brothers. The Brothers didn't even bother to give the children their names ... they called them: son of a tinker, son of a butcher ....
    You claim it you prove it! Can you provide any evidence?

Why don't you ask Diarmuid Martin? He did a few jobs around Artane as a seminary student.
    No the comment was made that the church set up Magdalen Asylums to enrich itself through slave labour. I already showed you how things ran cheaper under the church but the comment above was about the fact that the roman catholics didnt set up the asylums. Non Catholics did!
    see: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/david-quinn-magdalene-inquiry-must-lift-veil-and-uncloak-anticatholic-myths-2677561.html
    And the later addendum does not stand upo as slave labout because from the above source "according to the Government's own report to the UN committee, the overwhelming majority of women in the Magdalene Laundries were there voluntarily."

The Magdalene Laundries (and the Industrial Schools) were private institutions, wholly owned and wholly managed by Roman Catholic Religious (sic) Orders. Funny that; you castigate the State in one paragraph and then use to State to support your odious form of Catholicism! I'll take back the 'Funny' bit; you're a typical abuse apologist - finger-pointing and attempting to deflect from the culpability of the Church in criminal and despicable activities. But it's not working.

I'm not
    The suggestion that the church was running a "baby market" to make money is nonsense.
    You are making up things you can't support! You conspiracy theory of "cover up" just doesn't wash! Where is you evidence? Saying "dont be idiotic" wont prove anything. If you claim it, it is for you to prove it! Look up "burden of proof"

At risk of repeating repeating myself: Don't be idiotic. The whole demeanour of your posts is one of denial, denial, denial. It's as if no Religious Order has admitted abuses, as if no Religious Order has apologised, as if no member of a Religious Orders has been jailed, as if no bishop has apologised, as if no cardinal has apologised, as if no pope has apologised .... as if no cardinal wanted to risk jail in order to protect his abuse files. I said earlier you should get your head unstuck from your missal .... I have an extreme urge to repeat that exhortation but I shall resist as it's better for the protection of the vulnerable that you have your head stuck thus ......

Between the 1930’s and the 1960’s an estimated 60,000 newborns were procured under false pretences for married couples that had been turned down as prospective adoptive parents on various grounds.

The perpetrators of baby trafficking broke the law, forged documents, destroyed evidence, took babies from young mothers on the pretext of arranging legal adoptions. Amongst those implicated are priests, nuns, midwives and nurses who were paid to break the law and steal babies from their unmarried mothers, then smuggled them to married couples who brought them up as their own flesh and blood.
    nuns_stores.jpg
    The Difference Is We're Hypocrites

Large amounts of money changed hands to ensure the entire illegal episode was hushed up.

But not for long.
    From the archives of the Oireachtas: I would ask the House to consider that, while these two isolated cases alone would have justified the fullest examination of the facts, in reply to a further question of mine to-day, I was given the information that in the last three years 523 such children have left this country with a view to adoption in the U.S.A. Five hundred and twenty-three is an appalling figure in view of the circumstances.
    Adjournment Debate. - Transfer of Children to U.S.A. Wednesday, 18 July 1956 Dail Archives Source

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andrew49

How much compensation do you think someone should get who was anally raped and suffers from moderate anxiety as a result? (for example).

Are you one of these people who believes that say, €500,000 is adequate? Or are you one of these people who believes that no amount of money is adequate and the entire Church (from Raphoe to Rome) should be sold off to enrich the victim?

Nearly all victims have received a payout. The purpose of these reports (Raphoe etc.) is to ensure that the Church undergoes reform and that this kind of abuse can never happen again. They do not serve to instigate another legal gravy train and enrich lawyers/abuse victims as the anti-Catholic media likes to think. After all, no amount of money can compensate for the trauma experienced by a rape victim.

You must have missed those bits in the Ryan Report about starvation, child slave labour, and physical torture. Surprising that, as abuses other than sexual violence account for two-thirds of the abuses suffered by children in the Institutions. Did you speed read the Ryan Report or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

How much compensation do you think someone should get who was anally raped and suffers from moderate anxiety as a result? (for example).

Who are you to say what is moderate and what is not moderate in terms of anxiety?

I think they deserve anything they can get for that type of abuse.

Moderate anxiety ?
    Are you for real or are you some sort of crazed anti-Catholic pretending to be what they think is a Catholic ?
    In fairness, you go on later to say that no compensation is enough.
    Let the courts decide guilt, liability and compensation. Quite a few incompetant and vainglorious Irish Bishops made a mess of handling the abuse cases, so the Church (us) has to get rid of them, pay up, and make amends, and re-build. Thats the way it is and should be.

Andrew49 wrote: »
    You must have missed those bits in the Ryan Report about starvation, child slave labour, and physical torture. Surprising that, as abuses other than sexual violence account for two-thirds of the abuses suffered by children in the Institutions. Did you speed read the Ryan Report or what?

So how big was your compo cheque Andrew? How much more money are you looking for?

Why don't you go back to beating your drum over on politics.ie Mr 5,000 anti-Catholic posts?

You need to cop yourself on and move on. You'll be waiting a long time sitting around/moaning while waiting for the State or the Church to solve all your problems.

philologos wrote: »
    I think they deserve anything they can get for that type of abuse.

"Anything they can get" eh? That means you're in favour of shutting down the churches?

Half a million for someone who was anally raped as a child and still suffers from anxiety is more than enough compo. Making abuse victims millionaires doesn't undo the damage.

In fairness, you go on later to say that no compensation is enough.
    Let the courts decide guilt, liability and compensation. Quite a few incompetant and vainglorious Irish Bishops made a mess of handling the abuse cases, so the Church (us) has to get rid of them, pay up, and make amends, and re-build. Thats the way it is and should be.

I agree. But giving abuse victims Bentleys and gaffs in Dublin 4 isn't going to undo the damage either.

I agree. But giving abuse victims Bentleys and gaffs in Dublin 4 isn't going to undo the damage either.

This is a truly despicable line of thinking and phrasing. Shame on you .

This is a truly despicable line of thinking and phrasing. Shame on you .
    I have a suggestion. On the "why is there catholic hatred" simply put "because yutta" and close it. That should suffice.

MrP

I have a suggestion. On the "why is there catholic hatred" simply put "because yutta" and close it. That should suffice.

MrP

A cursory look at Andrew49's posts over on politics.ie and you'll see he's the most bigoted, embittered anti-Catholic poster in Ireland.

Recompense is supposed to finalise matters. He just won't let it go and will suffer even more as a result.

C'mon yutta, that's not the case at all. As far as I know, the compensation has been in line with what could be expected in any civil court, it's no fortune, and is more important as an admission of failure and a symbol of restitution. Personally I would want the money going to Charity if I was one of the victims, and I would just want justice. Yes, of course there has been the odd Charlatan, you get them in all walks of life, but I'd rather one of them received a payout in error than justice was denied.

• Advertisement

A cursory look at Andrew49's posts over on politics.ie and you'll see he's the most bigoted, embittered anti-Catholic poster in Ireland.

Recompense is supposed to finalise matters. He just won't let it go and will suffer even more as a result.

Uh I check out politics.ie from time to time and so know from that he was interned in an "industrial school"- even without the rape and sexual abuse these "industrial schools" were utterly shamefull.

He just wont let it go? I remember coming back to kip in the six counties where Im from and after one of the reports (I cant remember which) the priest gave this horrible sermon on "forgiveness" where he basically compared being raped to having your old brother scribble on your copy book and gave out about the unforgiveness of the victims. Ive seen how rape can destroy lives though. The sermon sickened me to my stomach and Ive never been able to set foot in an RC church since.

PLEASE; Ultramontanes stop preaching forgiveness at those whos lives have been scarred more than you can imagine; its just adding insult to injury!!!

Advertisement