Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strict Parent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Good. Seeing as he waited till the next morning, was done in cold blood. Wouldn't like to see what he'd have done if he'd lost the rag..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That is not a strict parent that is an abusive parent.
    Dad guilty of viciously whipping daughter (5) on her legs and back
    ATTACK: Judge shocked at ferocity of beating that injured daughter's back

By Eimear Cotter

Monday March 15 2010

A TAXI driver "whipped" his young daughter with a telephone cord to "discipline" her after she jumped on her sister's bed and broke it, a court heard.

The man left the five-year-old girl with welts on her back and the backs of her legs after the attack.

A judge said he was "absolutely shocked", by the man's behaviour, and said the assault was "appalling".

The court heard that the HSE has been involved in the case, and the man has been attending a number of parenting courses.

Defence solicitor Tracey Horan said the girl, her siblings and their mother were moved out of the family home by the HSE, but after two nights they asked to go home as they were missing their daddy.

Ms Horan said an incident like this had never happened before and the whole family is very shocked by it.

She said that the man admits that he had "totally over-reacted".

Assault

Judge David McHugh said he was "absolutely shocked" by the assault and said the man deserved to go to jail.

The judge ordered a probation report prior to sentencing.

The man, who cannot be named to protect his daughter, admitted before Blanchardstown District Court to seriously assaulting the five-year-old girl at the family home in Blanchardstown on October 30 last year.

Garda Sgt Maria Callaghan said the girl and her mother walked into Blanchardstown Garda Station to report that her father had hit her a number of time with the cord from the telephone.

Sgt Callaghan said the man arrived home late at night to find his daughter had jumped on her sister's bed and broken it.

He was angry with her and waited until the next morning to "discipline" her.

The girl was left with welts on her back and the backs of her legs.

Ms Horan said the man deeply regrets his behaviour.

She said he arrived home very late from work, the children were making noise and he totally over-reacted.

She said the incident was a "one-off thing", the defendant has been working with the HSE, and family life is returning to normal.

The court heard the man's wife was in court to support her husband.

Judge McHugh expressed his shock at the assault. He said he wanted an extensive probation report and adjourned sentencing to a date in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

That man needs some serious help. He must be pretty messed up himself to do that horrible deed to an innocent especially over such a natural action from the child.

I pity him in a way and hope that a system is in place that can offer him help to curb his 'problems'. His kids and wife obviously love him for a start and that says something.
    I hope he does not get jail time for the sake of the kids. But at the same time he should have a sentence of being apart from the family for awhile with some professional help to make him think about what he will / could lose if he will not address his very real problems.

Seriously regretting his actions does not cut it. All abusers of substances of one form or another do this and experience this regret. But they just do it again and again as long as they continue to perform self abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Goesague

I wonder if that 5 year old will jump on a bed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Goesague wrote: »

Perhaps not - but that doesn't justify child abuse. I'd prefer to think of the kid jumping on beds rather than getting the sh1t beaten out of them, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Goesague wrote: »

She probably will, that's why hitting kids as a way of trying to get them to stop doing something all kids do is so pointless. If it worked then parents would only need to smack or beat their kids once in the kids lifetime...

I find this case more disturbing because of the simple fact that the report came out after the event. the reported event does not make sense i.e. the parent whipping the child with a phone chord as an immediate punishment, that is incredibly brutal and an irrational attack. To me it is was an angry attack on a child by a parent that was not in their right mind.

I think this happened on the same night that the dad came home late after work and possibly under the influence of something else.

The mother took the case to the police the next day because it was so bad, and made a complaint. After the event the dad and the family chose to make up a story of the next day event of the whipping to make it seem more rational: despite the fact that it was not rational at all.

That is my take on it. Some things on this case do not add up at all from what has been said. My rational is closer to the truth I think. In that respect I think the man has issues which his family need to address with some intervention.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I got a few Belts as a child, I still to this day get a shiver when i see a wooden spoon, But i only got them if i deserved it.

Its Important to disapline a child, But theres disapline and Abuse.
    She probably will, that's why hitting kids as a way of trying to get them to stop doing something all kids do is so pointless. If it worked then parents would only need to smack or beat their kids once in the kids lifetime...

I was anything but a perfect child, But i remember pouring shampoo down the drain (full bottle) when i was 5/6. I can assure you i never did it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Love_Game

He said he over reacted??? Well yeah!!. . . The thing that shocked me the most was that he waited until the next morning to 'dicipline' her.

A telephone cord?? As some posters already stated that is NOT a strict parent dicipling their child, it was a vicous act of abuse.

I hope the judge gives him a jail sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I was anything but a perfect child, But i remember pouring shampoo down the drain (full bottle) when i was 5/6. I can assure you i never did it again

Did you only ever get smacked once though? For every personal anecdote re smacking working there is at least one to say it doesn't..my other-half for instance, who got smacked over and over for the same things. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That he waitied til the next morning and then did it is damning really. It's one thing to react in the heat of the moment, to delay and do it later shows you had time to think it through.

I imagine that the father abused the child full stop. The family are protecting him by providing him with the 'morning after' excuse.

In my imagination I think that this asshole beat the child that night in a stupor. Nobody in their right mind would do this to a child in a sober situation. It is beyond doubt a disgusting act. But the family are protecting him for some reason to prevent the dad from getting a jail sentence.

I suspect that substance abuse is a major part of this case.

Advertisement