Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi, Changing Channels and Windows 7

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Quick one I need help with. For the last few weeks, my broadband is disconnecting me randomly. It can happen at any time of the day, and when it happens, the wi-fi light goes off on the router. It can be off for a few minutes, or up to an hour. My guess is a conflict with a neighbour's cordless phone.

This evening, I used a Wi-Fi analyser to find out what channels were used/free in the houses around me. 3 other devices were on my channel (7) and channels 1 and 2 were completely free.

The problem is when I change the channel on my router (Netopia 2247, Eircom BB), I can't establish a wireless connection on my laptop. I get the little orange symbol on my wireless icon, and when I try to connect, it says it can't. The troubleshooting wizard is useless.

Is there something I need to do in Windows 7 to tell it I'm on a new channel? Open to suggestions here....

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mr E wrote: »
    Is there something I need to do in Windows 7 to tell it I'm on a new channel? Open to suggestions here....

Thanks in advance....

Shouldn't have to, You can change channel when connected and not get kicked off (depends on router). Windows doesn't care what channel its on it should scan all channels. Try another channel, not all devices will show up with an analyser, some like tv senders won't show. Try channel 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This might be better off in the Wireless forum. Moved from Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 axxxo

If the wifi light is going off on the router then its more than likely a problem with your internet service provider, i would contact them about the problem especially if they supplied the router!
    If they test the router over while your on the phone to them (like ntl do) and the problem persists then the next time you call simply plug it out so they receive no signal and are forced to send out a technician ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

axxxo wrote: »
    If they test the router over while your on the phone to them (like ntl do) and the problem persists then the next time you call simply plug it out so they receive no signal and are forced to send out a technician ;)

Good luck with that, its Eircom He's dealing with :D Sending out a clueless technichian will not fix a wireless or router issue either. If changing channel doesn't work, best thing You can do is try another router

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, changed to channel 11, and it worked (no idea why channel 1 or 2 didn't work)
    Lets see if I can get 5 hours uninterrupted tonight.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the help, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just to update on this, changing the channel seems to have fixed my disconnection issue. I've had 2 uninterrupted nights now. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Advertisement