Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free GPS on the Nokia 5800?!

• 15-03-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

The other day I got a text from Nokia that read

"FREE Sat Nav forever on your Nokia in 70 countries. Get city guides by Lonely Planet & share locations on Facebook plus much more! Go to www.nokia.mobi/maps/mn"

I've already downloaded the new maps software but I don't think my phone has GPS. When I purchased it the lady in-store said it did not have to connect to the network for GPS to work. When I launch the programme a satellite symbol appears on the top right beside the clock and on the map a bar appears, with one yellow box flashing (indicating bad signal?).

Is it possible to use the phones in Ireland for GPS or what?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Nokia 5800 does have GPS... and you dont have to have a network connection to use the GPS - though it does get your location quicker as it will get your location from A-GPS.

If you go into your settings you should be able to confirm that the GPS is available.

i remember alright that when i updating my phone (N97 now) i had to download something new alright for the free maps to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can use it without a data connection yes, it just wont be as good.

The free nokia are referring too, is the voice navigation. That was paid up to lately.

If you go into the options in the maps app, you will see the assisted gps with a tick beside it, if you undo this tick it wont connect using the data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Is it possible to use the phones in Ireland for GPS or what?!

Yes, a lot of phones come with GPS built into them these days. I've used TomTom and Copilot on my HD2. My girlfriend uses Copilot on her iphone and my sister uses the Nokia Maps on her 5800. They used to charge you for the maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

You can use it without a data connection yes, it just wont be as good.

The free nokia are referring too, is the voice navigation. That was paid up to lately.

If you go into the options in the maps app, you will see the assisted gps with a tick beside it, if you undo this tick it wont connect using the data connection

Should it be painfully slow? When I click into my position it does not automatically come to where I am! I can't seem to find the settings you're referring to either. On the maps menu screen I click into settings but there is nowhere it mentions assisted GPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Should it be painfully slow? When I click into my position it does not automatically come to where I am! I can't seem to find the settings you're referring to either. On the maps menu screen I click into settings but there is nowhere it mentions assisted GPS?

The first GPS lock will be slow - the handset doesn't know where in the world it is.

After that the locks should be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You must have the new maps app, so you will find the option in menu > applications > location > positioning > positioning methods

You should be outside when trying to get a lock. Also leave it for a few minutes to get a lock. In 'location' if you click 'gps data > then options > satellite status will do a search

Cheers for that! Cold outside now so will try it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

On my N82, getting a lock without "assisted gps" can take forever. With GPS there are 3 states when it looks for GPS. "Hot Start", "Warm Start" and "Cold Start". These refer to either the amount of time since last used or the change in location since last used. So cold start being the slowest, when the GPS has not been used for several hours or a big position change. etc. On Meteror PAYG getting a GPS fix costs 8 cents.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

dohouch wrote: »
    On my N82, getting a lock without "assisted gps" can take forever. ...

Same on my 5800.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Something i noticed after upgrading to maps v3 on my 5800 is that the garmin navigator i have installed has become very slow to start navigating.

When it picks up, it works as it used to work but it takes minutes to start where before i had maps 3 it was a matter of 30 or 40 seconds.

I only use the gps, so no internet support.

• Advertisement

Sorted! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Anyone knows if this applies to Nokia 5230's as well (free maps)? .. or just the 5800

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone knows if this applies to Nokia 5230's as well (free maps)
    Yup
    Compatible devices: Nokia X6 32GB, Nokia X6 16GB, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia N97, E72, E55, E52, Nokia 6730 classic, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic, Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition, Nokia 5230. To find Ovi Maps for other mobile devices visit Maps Support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

To get free voice nav, you've gotta have the latest version of ovi maps. Easiest and cheapest way to do it is to download it to the PC and then use Ovi suite to install it. If you have phone with wifi, you can download it directly to the phone.

The map files will have to be updated depending on the maps version you had before, there is a maploader option in Ovi suite and maps are free.

Unfortunately I have an N95 8GB, which the new version of Maps is not compatible with. So i have to pay for voice navigation :mad: Nokia obviously not caring about existing customers

Advertisement