Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th subject: Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Economics?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I’m currently in third year but I think this fits better here. :)

In the next few weeks I will be choosing my option subjects for the Leaving Cert. Thankfully, I am doing Transition Year so if necessary I can switch subjects at the end of the year if I really need to (provided there are spare places in classes).

I tend to be a lot better at mathematical, scientific and business subjects than languages (with the exception of English). I will most likely need anywhere from 415 - 580 points so I have to consider which subjects will allow me to get high points more easily (ie. not French/Irish).

Because I am not very good at Irish/French I am considering taking an extra subject outside of school in order to make it easier for me to get high points. If I decide after TY (or in the middle of TY) that it’s not working I will most likely be able to drop one of the subjects easily and just do the 7 subjects.

So I need some help from you guys; which of these subjects would be the easiest to do without a teacher (I can get grinds if necessary)?
    1. Biology
    2. Chemistry
    3. Physics
    4. Economics

Thank you for reading and (hopefully) replying. :)

EDIT: Just to clear something up: I will definitely be doing all of the above subjects, I just want to know which is most suitable to do on my own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Economics...Short course and a nice broad paper imo (Lots of options in the exam)

The science subjects might be a bit awkward without a teacher and without experiments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Economics. I do it, and everyone knows whats coming up this year, cause its a nice compact course, and some of it is interesting. Micro section, boring but easy to learn, Macro, bit more complicated (and I mean only a Bit) but it is fairly interesting in my opinion.

Its also a topical course, meaning what is in the news is likely to ome up, eg in the mocks there was Nama, Labour, Land and things about the World banks. Very nice subject to bump up your points. I have heard nothing good from Physics, even from the lads who do Honours Maths, and Applied maths. They even think its a pain in the tush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Okay, I was leaning towards Economics because of the lack of experiments and I've been told it's basically just learning things off. Also, I tend to do best in Business with little work and I don't have difficulty understanding it so I'm hoping it will be the same sort of situation for LC.

Also, I know one of the economics teachers quite well so I could always ask him what to cover each year/term etc in order to stay on track. I actually need to remember to talk to him on Thursday or Friday ...

Thank you for the replies so far, ciano1 and J.D.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

No problem. It really is easy, and in my opinion, can be fairly interesting. But maybe thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I can't really comment on Economics as I've never had any experience of it myself, but I've heard it's more difficult to understand than Business, but involves less rote learning.

As for the science subjects, I'd say Chemistry is the hardest to understand and do well in. However, it's a relatively short course. I wouldn't really recommend doing it without a teacher, unless you get a few grinds/extra help, because it's pretty difficult in my opinion.

I didn't do Physics for the LC but I'm doing it in college now and I think it's a lot easier to understand than Chemistry, and a lot more interesting. People say it's very mathsy, but the level of maths involved isn't particularly high at all (only Junior Cert algebra really). That being said, the LC Physics paper looks pretty challenging (to me, anyways). You do need to know the subject very well to succeed in it.

Biology is the easiest science in a sense, because it's not too hard to understand, so it'd be suited to studying on your own, I'd say. On the downside, it's a very heavy course with a lot of rote learning and memorisation, so you might find it tedious.

Bear in mind that experiments are an important part of all three courses (especially Chemistry - 28 mandatory experiments) and these aren't easy to understand/remember without physically doing them yourself.

Quick question - have you considered doing Applied Maths? It's the classic 8th subject that people do on their own, and the course is apparently quite short.

• Advertisement

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I can't really comment on Economics as I've never had any experience of it myself, but I've heard it's more difficult to understand than Business, but involves less rote learning.

Business the LC or JC subject? :) Both I'd guess. :D
    As for the science subjects, I'd say Chemistry is the hardest to understand and do well in. However, it's a relatively short course. I wouldn't really recommend doing it without a teacher, unless you get a few grinds/extra help, because it's pretty difficult in my opinion.

Yeah, although I love Science in general Chemistry would be the section I find the most difficult so I don't think I'll be doing it without a teacher and the option to do experiments (I think it's much easier to remember something if you've physically done it).
    I didn't do Physics for the LC but I'm doing it in college now and I think it's a lot easier to understand than Chemistry, and a lot more interesting. People say it's very mathsy, but the level of maths involved isn't particularly high at all (only Junior Cert algebra really). That being said, the LC Physics paper looks pretty challenging (to me, anyways). You do need to know the subject very well to succeed in it.

Yeah, Physics is my favourite section and has been since first year. I just think it's really interesting. I've glanced at the paper to look at what options you have and it does seem as though you really can't leave anything out. I will also most likely do this in school because I think it will be easier to do it with a teacher. Also there are usually only between 0 - 10 students per year that do Physics so it won't be a large class. Also, in Physics, for one of my possible courses I would need at least a B3 (I'd probably have to get that anyway points-wise) so I think that would be easier with a teacher.
    Biology is the easiest science in a sense, because it's not too hard to understand, so it'd be suited to studying on your own, I'd say. On the downside, it's a very heavy course with a lot of rote learning and memorisation, so you might find it tedious.

Yeah, although it's not my favourite I find this section the easiest. I don't think I'd have any problems with the human and cell side of it but I think I may have trouble making myself do the plant part.
    Bear in mind that experiments are an important part of all three courses (especially Chemistry - 28 mandatory experiments) and these aren't easy to understand/remember without physically doing them yourself.

Quick question - have you considered doing Applied Maths? It's the classic 8th subject that people do on their own, and the course is apparently quite short.

Yeah, although I think I would find it easy enough, my school doesn't offer ap. maths for the LC so it would be a bit more complicated to do.

Also, the reasons I'm choosing out of these subjects is not purely because of points really, it's because I could see myself enjoying and probably using these subjects in the future for courses etc. If I wasn't considering an 8th subject I would find it very hard to choose 3 of the 4.

Thank you for your reply, 1fahy4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I would recommend you think about applied maths. The course is quite short, and if you dedicate time in 4th year to it then it would be very easy to have it finished by at least the start of 6th year. Your school should offer the exam to you, even if you do it by yourself. A few people in my school have done music papers and the like by themselves and the school has facilitated them, just ask about it really.

With the three main sciences you need to have experiments done and written up, and reported by your teacher so that might be a bit harder for you.

Biology is the most fact based of the three, and alot of it is just pure learning.

Physics has alot of understanding, but alot of the course is moreso an explanation of things you instinctively know.

Chemistry is the hardest of the three IMO, alot of abstract things which you can't really understand at LC level and just have to accept.

And I don't know about Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Before choosing you should consider first what kinda course you're going to do in College. If you don't need a science subject then don't do them. Just boring, so heavily boring IMO. Economics is the job. I love that subject, with not a lot of work you could get a B.

I would recommend you think about applied maths. The course is quite short, and if you dedicate time in 4th year to it then it would be very easy to have it finished by at least the start of 6th year. Your school should offer the exam to you, even if you do it by yourself. A few people in my school have done music papers and the like by themselves and the school has facilitated them, just ask about it really.

I'll take that on-board and the school will offer the exam to me (they have to). However, I probably will not end up doing app. maths for reasons I explained in post 7:
    Also, the reasons I'm choosing out of these subjects is not purely because of points really, it's because I could see myself enjoying and probably using these subjects in the future for courses etc. If I wasn't considering an 8th subject I would find it very hard to choose 3 of the 4.
    With the three main sciences you need to have experiments done and written up, and reported by your teacher so that might be a bit harder for you.

Biology is the most fact based of the three, and alot of it is just pure learning.

Physics has alot of understanding, but alot of the course is moreso an explanation of things you instinctively know.

Chemistry is the hardest of the three IMO, alot of abstract things which you can't really understand at LC level and just have to accept.

And I don't know about Economics.

Thank-you for your help. :)
    Before choosing you should consider first what kinda course you're going to do in College. If you don't need a science subject then don't do them. Just boring, so heavily boring IMO. Economics is the job. I love that subject, with not a lot of work you could get a B.

I need at least 2 science subjects (at least a B3 in Physics and at least a C3 in Chemistry) and although I don't need a business subject it's "reccomended".
    Anyway, I plan to do all four, 3 in school, 1 outside of school.

Thanks for replying. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I do physics, chemistry and economics. I'll think about this today and give you more specific advice later on, if that's okay. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

J.D.R wrote: »
    Economics. I do it, and everyone knows whats coming up this year
    Lol. Oh the dangers.

I do physics, chemistry and economics. I'll think about this today and give you more specific advice later on, if that's okay. :)

That would be brilliant. Thank you. :)
    Lol. Oh the dangers.

Yeah, my friends sister was counting on predictions. It didn't work out too well and she had to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you're not sure about courses, make sure you do atleast 1 science for LC to keep your options relatively open.

jumpguy wrote: »
    If you're not sure about courses, make sure you do atleast 1 science for LC to keep your options relatively open.

Yep, I will be doing all 3 sciences, Economics and French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Eh, Why do 8 subjects? Couldn't you do 7 and still get max points. At the end of the day do you need an extra subject to worry over? With something like 85 days left till my LC I sure as hell don't need any extra workload, an extra subject would be torture.

Yes, I believe I do. I could do 7 but there is no way I'd get max points: as I mentioned in my first post, I am very bad at Irish & French so I would be unlikely to get enough points without doing an 8th subject. If I need to I can always drop it anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Economics hands down. Trust me on this one, it would be very difficult to do the three sciences outside school, although biology would be the easiest of the three imo.

But seriously economics;
    -Short course
    -Relatively easy to understand
    -Applicable to everyday life

You will regret it otherwise.:pac:

Economics hands down. Trust me on this one, it would be very difficult to do the three sciences outside school, although biology would be the easiest of the three imo.

But seriously economics;
    -Short course
    -Relatively easy to understand
    -Applicable to everyday life

You will regret it otherwise.:pac:

Thank you for replying. :)

At this stage I'm definitely leaning towards doing economics outside but I may end up changing my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Economics all the way it's a very manageable course and as other people have mentioned it is quite easy to make predictions as to what will be coming up in the exams.

Thank you, The__________. I think I will end up doing Economics outside because of it's length and lack of experiments. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

lack of experiments. :)

I don't think economics has any experiments?

Evan93 wrote: »
    I don't think economics has any experiments?

That's what I meant; Economics is the only subject that I will be doing that has no experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

That's what I meant; Economics is the only subject that I will be doing that has no experiments.

Oh, must have misread it. Best of luck with economics then.

Evan93 wrote: »
    Oh, must have misread it. Best of luck with economics then.

Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I'm gona guess you want to do medicine with all three science subjects?:pac:

I'm gona guess you want to do medicine with all three science subjects?:pac:

Nope, nice try though. :D

Advertisement