Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffordshire bull terriers in suburbs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ste15

Jesus the sweeper,you are damned unlucky with dogs aint you, you wear a tshirt with 'bite me' printed on it? :D I have always had dogs of different breeds too, all rescued dogs and mostly mongrels, I have never been bitten, and I'm not shy of other peoples dogs either, I would have a fair idea from a dogs body language what his intentions might be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Me, as a child I was bite rather badly (on the bum too!) by a JRT.

As an adult; Westie, Yorkie and JRT - all unprovoked.

And almost without exception each and everytime I've crossed paths with a JRT while out walking my dogs the JRT has attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've never been bitten either and my Dad bred German Shephards for the first few years of my life, he also trained dogs for security which involved the Doberman as well as German Shephards. We've also had a Pit Bull / JRT cross (who was called Sunny for his absolute sunny personality :)), greyhounds, lurchers, collie crosses, fox terriers and various mongrels of different shapes and sizes. The closest I've come to being bitten was by a neighbours collie cross when I was young and probably the crankiest dogs I've owned myself was a Wire Haired Fox Terrier. I've seen my Dad work every kind of working dog but the one he always kept his eye on was that dog especially when clipping him :) Ironically the dogs name was Tiger!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

morganafay wrote: »
    The most vicious dogs I've met have been male Westies in general, but met some nice ones too.
    :D Have a cute little female westie myself called Holly. Hates small children, but usually gets on with other dogs. Mad lunatic, and has attacked a dog 4 or 5 times bigger than her. Luckily we were nearby and scared the other dog away. Don't let her walk around unaccompanied, as I'd be afraid of some kid going over to her to pat her. Holly would be terrified, and would probably snap. Usually saying "she bites" is enough to get parents to keep the kids away.
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Why are certain dogs restricted? Because they have a greater propensity to cause harm, and the harm done is often more severe.
    They are restricted as they have characteristics that make them popular amongst scumbags it seems.
    ppink wrote: »
    possibly true. i just know who i would sooner have to deal with. a big dog has a lot of power.
    also harder for someone to extract you from a big dog than a small one imo
    I think it's the doberman that can keep a firm grip on you when it bites? And I wouldn't call many Dobermans "big".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

the_syco wrote: »
    :D Have a cute little female westie myself called Holly. Hates small children, but usually gets on with other dogs. Mad lunatic, and has attacked a dog 4 or 5 times bigger than her. Luckily we were nearby and scared the other dog away. Don't let her walk around unaccompanied, as I'd be afraid of some kid going over to her to pat her. Holly would be terrified, and would probably snap. Usually saying "she bites" is enough to get parents to keep the kids away.

They are restricted as they have characteristics that make them popular amongst scumbags it seems.

I think it's the doberman that can keep a firm grip on you when it bites? And I wouldn't call many Dobermans "big".

do you call them small?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

ppink wrote: »
    do you call them small?

i call them what they tell me to - have you seen a doberman snarl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

PaulB91 wrote: »
    i call them what they tell me to - have you seen a doberman snarl :D

LOL actually you reminded me of our neighbours dob who used to visit us frequently and nearly took the hand off me one day trying to get my sandwich........poor fella spent his whole life alone, but he was a massive dog with a massive set of teeth...............best dobie is Ramsey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFeJSd6_vyc&feature=PlayList&p=F9F0A44B27924A70&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

the_syco wrote: »

There was a documentary on BBC3 a few months ago about how pit bulls and staffs were the new 'weapon of choice' amongst many gang members in London. I had to flick away from the programme a few times, it made me so angry to think of these dogs being used in dog fights and being badly trained just so some f**ktard could be a big man walking the street. When they showed the dogs after they were in fights, I just had to turn over for good. That kind of thing just breaks my heart.

My personal take on it is that when these dogs end up in the hands of people who don't properly train them or focus their energies, they end up getting frustrated and taking it out on whatever or whoever is nearest. If a dog isn't challenged or exercised or trained properly, you're going to have trouble.

Personally I would love to have a German Shepherd or Rottweiler someday. I would have liked to have gotten one two years ago when I was getting a dog but I was only a few months after surgery and I didn't think getting a big dog was the best idea. So I ended up rescuing a terrier cross dog. To be honest, after seeing all the dogs that needed homes, I'm not sure I could pay money for a dog but maybe I'll come across a GS or Rottweiler that needs a home when the time is right.

Advertisement