Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are dreams?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭

Im having alot of them lately, and have gone like absolute years without them previously.

They range from stuff i plan to do to work-related things to relationships past and present to new hobbies id like to get into.

I used to think its related to the last thing you think about before falling asleep but that aint the case here. What do you fine people think? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dreams are things that don't come true.

Like winning the lotto, blagging Cheryl Cole..watching Mary Harney suffer a massive heart attack and having to lie on a trolley for 24 hours without any attention, the Goverment gob****es being shot for treason etc...you know..all the kind of stuff that'll never happen in a million years :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Im having alot of them lately, and have gone like absolute years without them previously.

have you quit smoking weed lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭veryangryman

bazmaiden wrote: »
    have you quit smoking weed lately?

Quiet you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

...have gone like absolute years without them previously.

Unlikely, you're probably only remembering them now.
    Have you moved house recently, a new environment, strange sounds waking you up more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Quiet you

Happens everyone that quits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'' Dreams are nothing more than wishes and a wish is just a dream you wish to come true, woo woo ''

Harry Nilsson - The Puppy Song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Freud says is that dreams express tensions that your mind wants you to get rid of. Although weed is another likely candidate....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Freud says is that dreams express tensions that your mind wants you to get rid of. Although weed is another likely candidate....
    Still? Thought he'd been dead for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

They range from stuff i plan to do to work-related things to relationships past and present to new hobbies id like to get into.

I used to think its related to the last thing you think about before falling asleep but that aint the case here. What do you fine people think? :pac:

Well the mistake a lot of people make is taking them literally. OP, be more specific about the strange ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭veryangryman

m@cc@ wrote: »
    OP, be more specific about the strange ones.

Thanks but no

Thats for Personal Issues. :DOn a more general level though, its good to get a handle on why our mind works these strange ways during unconsciousness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's your brain defragging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

He also says that its wish fulfillment but I thought he was essentially a nice framework although incorrect in assumptions. :D
    I was discussing this exact topic 20 minutes ago. Basically nobody has decided what the definitive purpose is of our dreams. They may be there to keep us sane (through expressing desires etc..) or serve no purpose at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

I dreamed the other night that I cheated on my boyfriend with Eminem...go figure :confused: and then today I heard someone listening to his music on the bus....coincidence?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Just ask Kevin Costner, he had a field full of them. Actually, what a poor movie, not as bad as Tin Cup though. Just take the drop next to the green you idiot! He sure did make a lot of poor movies.

I'm going to watch the Lion King so that hopefully i'll dream of being a Lion. That basically sums up what a dream is.

Suppose it might depend on what filtered through to our subconciousness before sleepytime . I know if I eat cheese an hr or two before bedtime I will usually have odd , strange , or totally weird dreams .

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

This sums it up pretty nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Latchy wrote: »
    Suppose it might depend on what filtered through to our subconciousness before sleepytime . I know if I eat cheese an hr or two before bedtime I will usually have odd , strange , or totally weird dreams .

Shall eat half a kilo of cheese to see if it has effect. :D

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Shall eat half a kilo of cheese to see if it has effect. :D

Well it can swing either way , at least if you get pounced upon by some sex starved naked vamp ;) or chased around the bedroom by some monster from hell :eek:

....you can always blame it on thank the cheese :pac:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I had a dream where I could fly if I did three karate kicks with my right leg and two kicks with my left to maintain my flight.

I went onto my roof :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

I have the same dream every night. I'm sitting in a field and a person with no face approaches me and just stands in front of me for what seems like hours. I am frozen to the spot. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The only time I dream is when I'm half awake and half asleep and then I can have fulll blown conversations with people that I dont realise aren't there until I open my eyes
    Happens pretty much every morning now cos I'm on *holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Co45 wrote: »
    I have the same dream every night. I'm sitting in a field and a person with no face approaches me and just stands in front of me for what seems like hours. I am frozen to the spot. Go figure.

Yeah I had a dream where I was being murdered by myself but with no face.

Advertisement