Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cardinal brady .....

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

so he knew all along about the rapes and abuse, and made kids swear an oath that they wouldnt tell anybody!!!! time to end the catholic church now!! rip down the cathedral and turn the land back into agricultural land.... ! any other opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

They should round up all the "religious", priests and nuns who raped and tortured children over the years and have them hung, drawn and quartered and everyone who knew what was going on and allowed it to continue should be shot. Keep the churches for the people who pratice what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

If you both feel that strongly, then take a stand and defect.

http://www.countmeout.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They should round up all the "religious", priests and nuns who raped and tortured children over the years and have them hung, drawn and quartered and everyone who knew what was going on and allowed it to continue should be shot. Keep the churches for the people who pratice what they preach.

Advocating violence isn't permitted anywhere on the boards so leave it out please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It is so easy to generalise. Abuse happened in many areas of Irish society

The vast majority of priests and nuns in Ireland are very good decent people. Most of them are so hurt by what has happened.
    I do believe any individual who molested or raped should be subject to court proceedings.
    The same goes for the teachers who knocked the S**T out of people like me. Every week I got a hiding, yet I dont hear the calls for for all the teachers responsible for Stammers, bed wetting and anxiety to be procuted. It didnt leave any scars on me but I know 3 or 4 lads who blame the way they were treated for problems they have now.

The Priests and Nuns lived and still live what I think is an unnatural existance and this contributed hugely to what happened not only here in Ireland but all over the world and in other church's.

I stopped going to mass about 10-15 years ago for no particular reason but am starting to go back now that I have children. I feel it is only right to give my children the opportunity to decide for themselves what direction they take, I will encourage them to go to mass and I have no doubt they will hear about all the horrible stuff that went on and this may sway them. But I do feel to many people are turning away from the church because its the easy thing to do when it might be better to stand up for a church that can give us something positive in these times..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

how difficult could it be for the pope to excommunicate any bishops priests etc etc involved in any type of abuse of children... It would show that the catholic church is actually serious about this issue because imo the way it looks today it nearly appears that the church doesn't care at all about the abuse or the cover ups...

i'm afraid mr brady needs to be removed from his position immediately just to restore some form of public confidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BernieEFC

I don't understand how they sleep at night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

LeoB wrote: »
    But I do feel to many people are turning away from the church because its the easy thing to do when it might be better to stand up for a church that can give us something positive in these times..

Like what? Yet more sexual repression? Unnatural concepts like celibacy? False moral dichotomies like good vs. evil?

Centuries of oppression, arrogance and abuse are the reason that people are justifiably turning away from the Catholic Church. Better late then never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

LeoB wrote: »
    I feel it is only right to give my children the opportunity to decide for themselves what direction they take, I will encourage them to go to mass .

make your mind up...are ye going to let the kids decide for themselves or are ye going to force them into your way of thinking??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

flanum wrote: »
    make your mind up...are ye going to let the kids decide for themselves or are ye going to force them into your way of thinking??

Exactly. I'm going to be objective...by encouraging them to be Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Orizio wrote: »
    Like what? Yet more sexual repression? Unnatural concepts like celibacy? False moral dichotomies like good vs. evil?

Centuries of oppression, arrogance and abuse are the reason that people are justifiably turning away from the Catholic Church. Better late then never.

I think and have stated there is no place for any sort of abuse in our society. Sexual repression? You mean priests and nuns living celebrate lives? I think I dealt with that in my last post,

Centuries of sh*t I agree. But the point I was trying to make is they were not all bad. The bads ones should be dealth with in a way I wont describe here or I will be banned. Turning away from the church in my opinion is not the answer. I do believe priests should be let marry but this is no guarentee some wont still abuse.

Having started going to mass again does not mean I am ramming it down my childrens throat, I dont go every week but about every 2 or 3 weeks. I would like to think and do believe my children will make up their own minds. I most certainly wont be forcing them to go to mass. I would forecast now one will go and one wont

I also strongly feel there is a "good catholic church" which is still there and can offer some good to people. You know and I know there are many good priests and nuns who are invaluable in our society today working with people who the rest of society have left behind, Sr. Stan Kennedy, Fr. Peter McVerry, Fr Des Doyle (chaplin in Crumlin) to name but a few. Having met Archbishop Diarmuid Martin last week for the first time I believe people like him can do a lot to to.......... give people back a little faith which a few dirt bags destroyed on people like my parents who were very religious and strong believers in the catholic church.

Because of the hidings I got at school I might stop my children going for the rest of this year.

I await a hammering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Panch84

Imagine the scene. You are the boss of a major company, and one of your employees comes to you in a panic. Someone has willingly put another co-worker in jeopardy by not fixing one of the machines properly. The same co-worker loses an arm in a horrible accident, limiting his life and as such putting a strain on his marriage, livelihood and ability to provide for his family. You are called to task over the accident, you disclose the name of the worker that jeopardised the safety of the whole company, you included. He is put to trial and found guilty and thusly sentenced to 7 – 10 for endangering the lives of all the workers and harm caused to the worker that lost his arms. That seems like the normal procedure for someone in power right? Apparently you’ve never seen the work of the Catholic Church.
    Cardinal Sean Brady, who in 1975 was a mere underling in the proceedings at the age of 36, oversaw an interview with abuse victim, Brendan Boland. Boland, along with other children were taken away to remote locations and savagely abused by monster priest Brendan Smyth. Boland had enough and told his parish priest about the abuse. On hearing the revelations, Boland’s parish priest took the boy to his superiors. And Sean Brady conducted the interviews with Brendan Boland. He was interviewed on his own and his father, who was totally unaware of the severity of the abuse, was asked to stay outside.
    The interview was abhorrent and contained such questions as “Do you think you could grow to like it?” and “Did seed emerge from your body at any point?” Over the course of the interview Boland put forward both names and addresses of the other children that Brendan Smyth abused. They were taken down by Sean Brady and Brendan Boland was asked to sign a confidentiality agreement stating he would not tell anyone about the interview. Here’s where the cover up begins.
    Brendan Boland in his innocence, whatever was left after Smyth thought that putting forward the names and addresses of the other children would put an end to the hurt, anger and frustration he and the others felt. But this did not happen. Instead Sean Brady filed the report and passed the names and addresses onto his superiors, but neglected to inform the children’s parents or the local police.
    By not forwarding this vital information Brady linked himself in with the vicious cycle of abuse Smyth perpetrated and continued to carry out on one boy until the winter of 1976. And he also abused that boy’s sisters for seven years, and four of his cousins up until 1988. Thirteen years of vicious abuse that could have, I am not saying it would have as cover ups are a speciality, but it could have been if only Brady had passed on the information and a case could have been made against Smyth sooner.
    Now in the wake of the documentary The Shame of The Catholic Church Cardinal Sean Brady, yes that is not a typo the man was made lead Catholic in Ireland, a position that surely should go to someone that would morally do all in his power to protect any human never mind a child. In the wake of the revelations, Cardinal Brady (sickens me to dignify the man with that title) has been revelling in that church staple, rhetoric.
    The usual lines have come pouring from his mouth, when asked about bot informing the police and parents, “I regret very much that they weren’t and obviously if they were in this situation now, I would insist that they be informed.” Well hats off to you Sean. Let’s all bow at your reverend feet. If I was two foot taller I could have been a great basketball player, rhetoric is for idiots and rats trapped in a corner.
    So with Brady spouting pre-written lines, delivered with one emotion, blatant un-interest, what did the church do with Brendan Smyth when it was reported of him abusing countless children? Well they shuffled him around and only recently it emerged that Smyth’s original diocese could face fresh lawsuits after it played a part in reinstating Smyth’s ability to say mass there. He was given permission to have contact with children back in 1984. That’s right, despite being aware of Smyth’s abuse Bishop Francis McKiernan authorised this contact. That reeks of the old, “ah sure go on about your business, and keep it on the lowdown, no-one else’s business.” Disgusting.
    Now what did Cardinal Brady do in the intern? He jetted off to Rome to represent us at a Vatican conference. A man who ignored the discovery of a vicious paedophile and his victims represented me and you in the holiest of cities, Rome, enough to make you sick to your stomach. And now he refuses to step down, and has been quoted as saying, “There have been many calls for me to stay on.” Glory, glory hallelujah, his truth is marching on, brothers and sisters.
    There’s a lovely photo of Cardinal Brady on the Armagh diocese website which shows him smiling and wearing his tainted garments. And apparently he has an aim in this parish. The aim is “to be the Body of Christ with the help of the Holy Spirit so that we can live like Jesus in our time and place sharing his compassionate love with all.” So the next time you, your child or anyone else is accused of taking the lord’s name in vain, think of the Cardinal of Ireland doing just that by simply waking up in a parochial house every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Not for a minute would I try to defend the inaction of Fr Brady in this case...

However.. there is a great article in the Celt that reminded me of something I already knew...

The carry on of Fr Smith was widely known throughout the community and Cavan as a whole... there were lots of whispering going on to keep kids away from him..
    My own mother in law said at the time of his arrest that it was widely known what he was up to and that people just tried to keep kids away from him... She said that people knew that when bringing their children to Kilnacrott for confessions they couldn't let them out of their sight because of what was going on...

Definitely Cardinal Brady was amiss by not acting on what he knew, but there are allot of others in the area of Kilnacrot and the wider Cavan area who should have spoke up and didn't.. The list in the article includes teachers, doctors guards and many if not most lay people in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

so its true ! the catholic church is a farce and a scam , while claiming to be an organisation of god who is all loving , etcetera , etcetera the organisation kept silent when children were being raped , children came to them looking for protection and instead they protected the rapists , the truth is out , the emperor really is wearing no clothes , the church are not what they claim to be , we have been scammed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sr Stan lied simply; claims she knew nothing re what was going ion and yet she told the Ryan report a different story.

Trust no man, bids Jesus. Trust only Him.

Sexual activity is not compulsory or mandatory. Nor is it essential or wholesome to development. That is a modern myth.

I know a Nun from an overseas order, a life long celibate, who is the most joyous and fulfilled and healthy person you could meet and there are many such. Her order would not tolerate or hide any abuse of any kind

And this is where the trouble lies.

The root of the trouble is the "old boys club" mentality; the shielding of known corruption by the hierarchy and this is what has gone on for decades here and has seen abuse of all kinds mushroom.

There is also no real penitience or humility; all they did wrong to their eyes was to be found out.

And I believe nothing of what is being said as spin. Not a word of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

and yet here we are again... brady was headline news for a week or two and its slipped under net again... well i reckon dont let the bastard slip away unnoticed... keep the conversation of "brady" going among colleagues and friends/online etc... put pressure on the bastard, he seems to be a smarmy slippery fecker alright, like the nazi concentration guards, "he was only following orders"!!!
    lets get that spineless excuse of a man to face his charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭seanpjs93

He did what he did and he got far by doing it, he should be arrested for withholding information from the autorities

Advertisement