Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do It Someone Else? (DISE)

• 15-03-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

Hi new to boards and already posted somewhere else before I saw this forum so maybe theres someone here that can help/advise. Having forked out alot to kit out the house some basic parts are falling apart & I don't know where to start. Also budget not great....
    • Basically the radiators are not working properly...some are cold...and one seems to be leaking.
    • Also my immersion is not working properly...at all.
    • Also the shower tray is leaning the wrong way...water not flowing down but away from plug hole making a stagnant & yucky limey stainmad.gif...and maybe not sealed properly.
    • My fridge/freezer is making a very loud noise.
    • I would like my garden fence repaired & a patio laid with some low maintenance landscaping. (There is some wiring so maybe have a light installed..)
    Is there a person/occupation that could sort this. Do I need a separate plumber/electrician/landscaper...or is there some kind of person who could do all this at a reasonable rate? (KK area)
    Really fed up with this as is quite a new house but well past the snagging stage.
    Any advice?confused.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If your immersion is not working properly, switch it off and get an electrician.

I have had immersions in two separate houses that have been fire hazards, in one case the switch box melted in the middle of the night. Somebody was looking out for us because I woke up and noticed an odd smell, so I got up and turned off the power, it just seemed like a good idea, and the next day we were told that the switch had melted and was within a few minutes of a fire.

Can't comment on the shower without seeing it, I would have thought it was fairly difficult to get the slope in the wrong direction since they are mostly moulded - any chance of a pic.

Your radiators might just need bleeding, any handy person would be able to show you how to do that. Basically there should be a place to put a key at the top of the rad at one end, turn it slightly, if water comes out it is ok, if air comes out just let it keep coming till water appears. If that does not work, then you need a plumber.

The fridge is either not set straight on its feet, or it is dying (like mine, a kick shuts it up temporarily, its been doing it for ages though). You will find there are little threaded feet on the fridge that you can turn individually to straighten it up, you will need some assistance to lift the fridge a bit while you do it, but its not complicated.

If you are not handy you would be better to get the separate tradesmen. You could get very lucky and find a good handiman who could do all these (except the immersion) but you are more likely to get a cowboy - like the one that put the shower tray in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 educere

Thats a detailed reply- can't kick the bloody fridge-freezer as its integrated.
    Havent switched on the immersion for ages as had hot water from the heating but that will lessen soon. Usually what I had been doing was hopping into the other shower but the tray is filling up- and turning the skirting board brown...thats why I think its leaking and not flowing properly.
    The house was just bought in a new build estate...so no control over the cowboys. I only know that the odd time I popped in they seemed so young...17 or so.
    The problems didn't present for a while & now theyare all appearing at once. Guess I have been in denial & out working long days to pay the mortgage. Think I will hire a plumber first- he could sort the shower tray/rads & immersion. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

A good plumber would be able to sort out your rads and immersion. Just let whoever you ring know ,that your immersion isn't working properly.

Advertisement