Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Enduro/Supermoto

• 16-03-2010 12:22am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd appreciate a bit of guidance here folks.

I'm interested in buying an Enduro/Supermoto or even an "urban trail" type bike.

Will be 1995 or earlier (Classic ins.) with low miles and probably the most important thing is condition. I'm after a minter. Low maintenance would be a plus also, as I'll only do tiny mileage and it'll be almost 100% on road. I just like the styling and high riding position, and relatively low performance will hopefully mean a lowish chance of a prang

400-650cc.

Any suggestions?

I've seen a very tidy XR400, and a lovely KLR650 on a couple of websites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Go retro, this one is **** cool:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1179900

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd appreciate a bit of guidance here folks.

I'm interested in buying an Enduro/Supermoto or even an "urban trail" type bike.

Will be 1995 or earlier (Classic ins.) with low miles and probably the most important thing is condition. I'm after a minter. Low maintenance would be a plus also, as I'll only do tiny mileage and it'll be almost 100% on road. I just like the styling and high riding position, and relatively low performance will hopefully mean a lowish chance of a prang

400-650cc.

Any suggestions?

I've seen a very tidy XR400, and a lovely KLR650 on a couple of websites.

Sorry for the absolute sidetrack but why 1995 for classic insurance, does it not have to be a lot older than that as is the case with a car? I'm asking as I'm on a '96 at the moment, would be embarrassing to be riding a "classic" and not know it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

KamiKazi wrote: »

Link isn't working :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Sorry for the absolute sidetrack but why 1995 for classic insurance, does it not have to be a lot older than that as is the case with a car? I'm asking as I'm on a '96 at the moment, would be embarrassing to be riding a "classic" and not know it!

I have a 30 year old car, but was told by CN that for bikes 15 was old enough.

• Advertisement

Link isn't working :(

Fixed.

Thanks that's lovely, but it's too young (1995 or earlier needed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I've been thinking about a trailie for the city for ages now as I was waiting for the insurance money to come through for my bike that TP decided to drive over while I was on it.

I was going for the XR650L but then I heard they wouldn't be great for long drives to I was going with the DR650SE but then herself wasn't mad about my next bike costing three times the last one, so now I think I am settled on the XL600R, 1987 model maybe. Loads in the states with low mileage (I was talking to one guy and his had 19k miles on it and he was defending the 'high' mileage on it) and friends are bring back a few bikes in April so I can throw one in there too.

I was also looking at the XT600e but I heard bad things about the cam chain, don't know if its true though (http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1189309) This one seems steep and I'm not mad about the newer model can.

I never liked the style of the KLR650.

Would an XR400 be too extreme for road use?

I'd say it would be great around the city but going on the motorway or whatever I don't know how it would do. I read on some forum about the xr650 not liking long journeys too much so I can only guess that the xr400 would be similar.
    http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=412847
    The top speed would be the main issue. Its a lovely looking machine though.

• Advertisement

I'd say it would be great around the city but going on the motorway or whatever I don't know how it would do. I read on some forum about the xr650 not liking long journeys too much so I can only guess that the xr400 would be similar.
    http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=412847
    The top speed would be the main issue. Its a lovely looking machine though.

Little or no chance of me ever hitting a motorway tbh. An few A roads ok, but 60mph would be ok presumably for an hour or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if its for the road then either a dommie

honda_nx_650_dominator_1992_2.jpg

or a motarded xl650r

1993Honda2.jpg

dommie is more practicle the xl is more fun , just.

if yer going off road or want some thing lghter then
    a dr 350 on dual sport tyres will be a real fun machine

1998_DR350sSE_white_500.jpg

i look at motos and crossers as fine for the odd long trip

Great feedback folks. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a 88 NX 650 Dominator and would wholeheartedly recommend one.
    Road use 650 is minimum IMO, any less and you will be down on power compared to other road users,
    KLR 650s are fine but water cooled which is more complicated than the Air cooled Honda engines. Both lumps have balancer shafts which make them smooth compared to smaller 400's which don't have balancers.
    Lots more parts around EU for the Dommie though, KLR's were never big over here as opposed to the US which has tons of them.
    There is also an FX 650 which uses the same lump in a more street orientated chassis.
    Don't rule out a nice Yamaha Ténéré either they are a nice bike in the 600cc class and will fit into your classic plan.

Thanks CJH.

I saw this XT600E last night. 1994. Looks very tidy and the write up and detail pics. show it's been well looked after.

What do you lot think?

They are OK, I think those are Italian models so not maybe well built as the Japanese built ones.
    Have a look for the Tenere, they are a better bike IMO, bigger tanked and a fairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i like this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1151638

need to know what your looking at but a couple coats of paint and it could be nice

How about a BMW F650?

This is a 1994 model, and looks really well cared for....

3917959.jpg

How about a BMW F650?
    They are nice and zippy for roadwork
    Rotax engine and made by Aprilia.
    Not a bad choice at all for mainly road work.
    If it looks good and clean then think about it.

Thanks again. It's not too far away (N.I) and the price looks very good (c. £1000). Might well be worth a trip.

• Advertisement

Looks to be a nice bike for £1000

Funduro was snapped up rather quickly:(

Funduro was snapped up rather quickly:(
    Look around, they are pretty common in the UK and I have seen a few round the Republic too.
    Courier from the UK won't be that dear either, you could bring it in through Swansea now;)
    I imported a bike that way.

Found another possible Funduro. 1995 with 15,000 miles. Not sure about the colour though.

1766117.jpg

That colour wouldn't work in a bathroom not to mind a bike, what were they thinking. They are a nice tidy bike alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The XT in the first post is still the coolest bike there :D

I had a dominator, great bike, loved it. Anyone I know who owned them really liked them. Change the end cans on them to hear that 650 single.

Colour is easily changed, there are only a few bits of fairing on a bike anyway.
    I wouldn't worry about the colour as long as the bike is straight.
    Papparazzo
    My Dommie is a US import and has a Supertrapp muffler, makes a real nice sound and saves about 5kg compared to the standard 2 into 1 into 2 pipe

What about a Honda Transalp VL600V ?

You have a pm CJH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement