Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixie conversion

• 16-03-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

I fitted a replacement SRAM 7 hub gear to my existing bike about a year ago, and it's started stuttering and dying :( I don't really fancy spending a whole lot more money on this bike, I'd rather get something new... and since this one is set up for hub gears, it's got horizontal dropouts.

So I'm thinking it's fixie conversion time. Is it really just a case that I can remove the hub gear from the wheel, and rebuild with a track hub, and a new cog? Is it just that simple?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

you can go one of two routes... bolt on or lockring.... basically convert a MTB front disc mount hub for the rear width of your bike and fit a bolt on cog...

Or as you said just rebuild the wheel with a fixed hub!

http://velosolo.co.uk/shophub.html

that site has all you'd ever need.. oh and the chainline... get it straight!

Consult sheldon browne for all your other needs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Unfortunately it's not as easy as converting any disc hub. there's quite a bit of talk about it here. i have to say i love the look of those bolt on hubs, they're definitely on my wishlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I fitted a replacement SRAM 7 hub gear to my existing bike about a year ago, and it's started stuttering and dying :( I don't really fancy spending a whole lot more money on this bike, I'd rather get something new... and since this one is set up for hub gears, it's got horizontal dropouts.

So I'm thinking it's fixie conversion time. Is it really just a case that I can remove the hub gear from the wheel, and rebuild with a track hub, and a new cog? Is it just that simple?

Is the SRAM7 an internally geared hub?
    If so, I presume that the spokes are the same length on either side of the hub flange.
    Good bet is to get yourself a new hub with the same flange height and spoke count, and then rebuild the wheel around that. It'll save you a few quid. Although I have a feeling that hub might be wider than a standard track hub. You could always just buy yourself a new wheel (City Cycles in Stoneybatter has the cheapest ones in town, 70 euro, that includes a lockring and 16t sprocket).

You dont need to get one of the bolt-on hubs, they're pricey. I'd like one though! I'd really like a double one for polo with a 14t sprocket on one side and a 22t on the other. At the moment I have a standard fixed-fixed flip flop hub with a 15 and a 22, and it just about stays in the dropouts when I turn it around.

Be prepared for some snags along the way though, I always thought it would be simpler than it was, and then some minor irritant slows you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭fixie

im gonna build up 2 wheels for my bikes with bolt on hubs...
    the coversion kits are here http://velosolo.co.uk/shophub.html
    and the hubs are here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3986
    so that adds up to €40ish and then build it up..might work out a bit more than usual but its worth it..well i think it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

It's not a disc hub, its an SRAM 7 internal gear hub, with brakes. So everything should be ready, except new hubs from my understanding. However looking at the cost of the equipment I'm going to need to rebuild the wheel, I'm beginning to suspect that it might just be cheaper to order a new wheel, as suggested... or perhaps even 2 new wheels, so that I can keep my front headlight and dynamo for the next bike :)

Flickerx: Yes, the SRAM 7 is a pretty bulky hub, but the flanges are the same both sides. I would be surprised to find a replacement rear hub of equal bulk that's not also geared.

• Advertisement

OK, thanks for your suggestions guys.

I was down at the bike shop who laughed at me, but did give me a complete new back wheel with a fixed cog for 40 euros... and seemed amazed that they had them in stock! Tomorrow, wheel fitting!

Then I'll need another bicycle for tackling the round-town in Nice and the ride into the mountains to get to work.... time to bash the CC

Where did you get a fixed wheel for €40?

Culture Velo, Nice.

Culture Velo, Nice.
    ireland sucks

Yeah... they opened a new bicycle lane on my commute to work too, it's 5 km of beautiful, wide, flat, physically seperated bicycle lane, running beside the sea, with well thought out junctions. There's even a little cycle-lane-sized cleaning van that cleans it every morning ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement