Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car

• 16-03-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Have decided to forget about buying a jeep so looking for a car and looking to spend about 40 - 45k. It needs to be good in performance for the commute to work and at weekends transformed into a reliable load lugger for 3 kids + dog etc. Living in a rural setting so need a little bit of extra ground clearance but could do with smaller sized wheels during winter months etc also might look at quattro as we get a good bit of snow and ice.

Can either be a petrol or diesel, but of course leaning towards the black stuff for handiness of not going to the pumps a couple of times a week, but really want a drivers car, do about 10 - 15k per annum in mileage.

Theres nothing really that gets the heart going, seen a A6 2.7TDi and really liked it but it lacked leather! and some of the extras im looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

New or used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Wouldn't mind new but not sure if the budget is there, so would take second hand, and would go to the uk.

09 E250 cdi (estate if required)
    Not so hot on the drivers car side of things im sure but reasonable power, loads of space, should be plenty comfortable & will have great resale value as well as being cheap to tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Those jags are NICE, the merc looks weird but i guess its a new model and would be a grower, never thought i'd see myself in a new merc for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

New model BMW 5 series?? Starts at €42k for the 520d with leather as standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

08 535d's are €630 to tax, now the only problem is trying to find one....

A 530d is still a bloody quick car and has the advantage of 1 rather than 2 turbos, less complication so more reliability:)!

I'd say an A6 3.0 TDI quattro or better still an A6 Allroad if you can find one would be ideal, tax is higher on these, I think they are in band F.

The left field choice is the Volvo XC70 D5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

argosy2006 wrote: »

Is it just me or does that look like a cheap after market stero in that car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭brennarr

Theta wrote: »
    Is it just me or does that look like a cheap after market stero in that car?
    Nope that's the Aircon contols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

brennarr wrote: »
    Nope that's the Aircon contols

Really! They look terrible. Really out of place with the walnut IMO.

Jeez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Get a Jag XF!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Jaguar/XF/2.7-V6-D/201009197115109/advert?channel=CARS

They look amazing and have the best interior of any car in that class.

And they're not an Audi/BMW so people will like you for owning a Jag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

Volvo XC90 borning but 7 seats, diesel, safe, high off ground for country side work...

JJJJNR wrote: »
    the merc looks weird but i guess its a new model and would be a grower, never thought i'd see myself in a new merc for that money.

The merc is hideous in base form. IMO they look right in sport version where the wheels actually fill out the dodgy rear wheel arch. Unfortunately, the models with the larger wheels (which really are a must) dont quite make it into the B tax band but its still a manual e250 cdi sport for 20% vrt & €300 tax. Base versions have 16% vrt & 156 tax.

The Jag is nice but I thought maybe you needed the estate for the dog etc

Advertisement