Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden pieces i make

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

here is a few pieces i make and am just looking for peoples opinions on them

wood004.jpg

wood018.jpg

wood018.jpg

wood031.jpg

wood036-1.jpg

wood029.jpg

wood030.jpg

wood032.jpg

wood035.jpg

depsta072.jpg

depsta065.jpg

CopyofPicture044.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

cheers for looking

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice pieces there kev91. In particular the yew pieces, its a beautiful timber to work with, if you,re lucky enough to get your hands on some. The pot pouri bowl is nice as well, common elm , if I,m not mistaken, or maybe I am.:D Another nice timber too, wych elm has striking green and yellow streaks in it, that show well in bowl turning.

Nice:cool:

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You have some nice stuff there alright. I like the yew table top! Very nice. Did you spray the top or what finish did you apply to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kev91

You have some nice stuff there alright. I like the yew table top! Very nice. Did you spray the top or what finish did you apply to it?

on the yew table top i think it is 5 coats of varnish really makes it shine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Nice work!

Nice work!

cheers appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Nice work there Kev,

I have a few pieces of Apple tree i picked up a number of years ago and been meaning to work them into something. One piece is shaped like the piece in your second picture and another is kinda Y-Shaped. I brought them down to the local boat builder and he ran them through the plane for me as they were a bit rough after been cut through a band-saw. Now that I'm out of work I'm planning on doing something with them. I was thinking one mirror and one clock.

Where do you get the pieces to make the clock, I've been keeping an eye out for them but never came across them. What do you find the best prepartion of the timber to really bring the grain out and what varnishes/sealers do you use?

Thanks for your help
    Nice work again

Radiotower wrote: »
    Nice work there Kev,

I have a few pieces of Apple tree i picked up a number of years ago and been meaning to work them into something. One piece is shaped like the piece in your second picture and another is kinda Y-Shaped. I brought them down to the local boat builder and he ran them through the plane for me as they were a bit rough after been cut through a band-saw. Now that I'm out of work I'm planning on doing something with them. I was thinking one mirror and one clock.

Where do you get the pieces to make the clock, I've been keeping an eye out for them but never came across them. What do you find the best prepartion of the timber to really bring the grain out and what varnishes/sealers do you use?

Thanks for your help
    Nice work again

the pieces for the clocks depend on what size clock you want to make like large one like the above one i bought it woodys it was atached to a metal back
    you can also get these from record power or axminster

and for a niece finnish i plane the piece down till its flat the plane some more setting the planer to .5 mm no more then that then i start with 250 grit all down to 500 grid till it feels like its been polished then i apply one coat of gloss floor varnish let it dry the 400 grit sand paper then one more coat and see what it is like then and just keep doing this over and over till you get what finnish you want

hope this helps you

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭muff munch

nice pieces there man i really like the 4th 1 down the mirror,i prefer the natural looking pieces my self,i also do a bit of wood turning my self when i get the chance and am in the middle of making a candle holder out of a big piece of ash,nice work

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

nice work,

may I ask how you attached the legs to the top in the first picture? I'm trying to learn!!
    On a different note, whats the best way to learn how to make this type of furniture? does anyone know of any courses?

Thanks, Paul

corco2000 wrote: »
    nice work,

may I ask how you attached the legs to the top in the first picture? I'm trying to learn!!
    On a different note, whats the best way to learn how to make this type of furniture? does anyone know of any courses?

Thanks, Paul

goto b.i.f.e

http://www.bife.ie/PLC%20Courses/pages/FurnitureDesign.aspx
    llast few years i have been there

and to attache the legs to the table some are dowlled others morticed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi Kev,
    Heres my honest opinion:
    Pic 1: Nice surface finish, perhaps you should experiment with some curves at either end, im not sure about the straight edges. I think the legs are interesting and well made if I presume it stands level and stable, however they look ‘unfinished’.

Pic 2 & 3: is that mirror inset? The radius on the corners are a little inconsistent/untidy. Is this a wall hanging piece?

Pic 4: Lovely piece, great wood grain variety of colours etc. well finished too and nice proportion of frame around the mirror., its fantastic. I think it would look great hanging vertically.

Pic 5: Don’t like this one. I think it’s the varnished bark I dislike, its too rustic and old fashioned imo. I think a perfectly cut rectangle might have been nicer for the mirror…

Pic 6: This is as beautiful as it is simple. It’s a great size in its proportions and its ‘weight look’ is inviting to touch (if you know what I mean).

Pic 7: I thought my mam was the best in the world  dunno how successful that stain is on that timber.

Pic 8: Nice table, perhaps the legs and structure below the surface/table top is a bit heavy looking. Did you get glue on the nearest leg, looks like the finish is poor as a result. Also is the surface slightly rectangle? Seems like the glass is closer to two edges than the other too by about 15-20mm. If so, it seems to lack forethought.. One last thing, a smaller square of opaque glass would look better (imo) and some other timber for the legs..(the legs look too red for the top).

Pic 9: Nice timber well finished, nice clock, but they don’t go together, the clock is too contemporary and its face doesn’t fit neatly (centred) on the timber. I know if you centre it then the pendulum is off. I dunno maybe its right the way it is, I see the nice grain is exposed on the right side of the clock face and that helps..

Pic 10: Did you fill the hinges with brummer/filler? It can look a bit untidy and not quite perfect eh…any other methods?

Pic 11: Practice makes perfect!!

Pic 12: Lovely shape, lovely timber.

Pic 13: I reckon these pieces work best hung vertically and using a clock with a pendulum.

Pic 14: C’mon a timber keyring doesn’t need to be so cumbersome…remember it has to be carried around in your pocket.

Pic 15: This photo kinda plays with the eye, it looks like its concave.. I cant really tell whats going on.

Anyway, thanks for uploading your work. I hope I don’t come across as too critical. I just want to provide you with food for thought and some design advice. Considering the amount of pieces you have made its obvious you enjoy what you do so if my comments help you learn or improve anything that’d be great.:)

Piriz wrote: »
    Hi Kev,
    Heres my honest opinion:
    Pic 1: Nice surface finish, perhaps you should experiment with some curves at either end, im not sure about the straight edges. I think the legs are interesting and well made if I presume it stands level and stable, however they look ‘unfinished’.

Pic 2 & 3: is that mirror inset? The radius on the corners are a little inconsistent/untidy. Is this a wall hanging piece?

Pic 4: Lovely piece, great wood grain variety of colours etc. well finished too and nice proportion of frame around the mirror., its fantastic. I think it would look great hanging vertically.

Pic 5: Don’t like this one. I think it’s the varnished bark I dislike, its too rustic and old fashioned imo. I think a perfectly cut rectangle might have been nicer for the mirror…

Pic 6: This is as beautiful as it is simple. It’s a great size in its proportions and its ‘weight look’ is inviting to touch (if you know what I mean).

Pic 7: I thought my mam was the best in the world  dunno how successful that stain is on that timber.

Pic 8: Nice table, perhaps the legs and structure below the surface/table top is a bit heavy looking. Did you get glue on the nearest leg, looks like the finish is poor as a result. Also is the surface slightly rectangle? Seems like the glass is closer to two edges than the other too by about 15-20mm. If so, it seems to lack forethought.. One last thing, a smaller square of opaque glass would look better (imo) and some other timber for the legs..(the legs look too red for the top).

Pic 9: Nice timber well finished, nice clock, but they don’t go together, the clock is too contemporary and its face doesn’t fit neatly (centred) on the timber. I know if you centre it then the pendulum is off. I dunno maybe its right the way it is, I see the nice grain is exposed on the right side of the clock face and that helps..

Pic 10: Did you fill the hinges with brummer/filler? It can look a bit untidy and not quite perfect eh…any other methods?

Pic 11: Practice makes perfect!!

Pic 12: Lovely shape, lovely timber.

Pic 13: I reckon these pieces work best hung vertically and using a clock with a pendulum.

Pic 14: C’mon a timber keyring doesn’t need to be so cumbersome…remember it has to be carried around in your pocket.

Pic 15: This photo kinda plays with the eye, it looks like its concave.. I cant really tell whats going on.

Anyway, thanks for uploading your work. I hope I don’t come across as too critical. I just want to provide you with food for thought and some design advice. Considering the amount of pieces you have made its obvious you enjoy what you do so if my comments help you learn or improve anything that’d be great.:)

cheers for the comments most of these pieces were made in collage when i was learning but all the same i sold everyone of them at the presentation night and within te next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Kev, where did you get the brass plate with the engraving done? Is it just glued in position?

Radiotower wrote: »
    Kev, where did you get the brass plate with the engraving done? Is it just glued in position?

in any sports shops or jewlers and its a sticky back on it

Advertisement