Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some River shots for C&C please!

• 16-03-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

No 1
    4436148089_b26bee270e_b.jpg

No 2
    4436920054_2e014bc3ee_b.jpg

No 3
    4436145523_6cdfa32b41_b.jpg

No 4
    4436144499_696e164007_b.jpg

No 5
    4436139719_4ea9b98084_b.jpg

Thanks, all comments - good and bad welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

#2 & #4 - Love them!

#1 Sky is a bit crappy and there is a nice big dust spot which could do with being removed.
    #3 It's just too grey for me. Like the sky though. What was it like in colour?
    #5 I would have gone with a narrower crop, less foreground and a little less sky maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

3 and 4 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would have darkened the blacks a little in the first 2, and upped the contrast ever so slightly. They might not appear so flat then.

I like # 3 and #4 best. 3 in particular works well IMHO. Very moody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭grumpygit

I have to disagree with the previous posters I find 5 the best, I like the colours in it, Is that a UFO in the sky on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I like 2 and 5. Where are they taken from.?

One thing I feel is ruing pictures is the horrible light coming from Public Lighting, it looks dirty. I think its horrible and would much prefer the old white lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Number 2 for me. Are you using a star filter on the lights ? Slight sensor dirt (UFO)on number 5
    Canon 7D, nice camera

grumpygit wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the previous posters I find 5 the best, I like the colours in it, Is that a UFO in the sky on the left

Disagree on what exactly?

Telling ya, if OP upped the black levels by 3 or 4 on first 2 they'd look so much better [I tried #2 in LR just to see how it looked, didn't post it because people tend not to like you messing with their pics, can show if OP didn't mind]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭grumpygit

disagreed with which ones you find the nicest actually Don't worry wasn't critisizing your advise, I for one though not the owner of the photos would love to see how people adjust them to make them better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Disagree on what exactly?

Telling ya, if OP upped the black levels by 3 or 4 on first 2 they'd look so much better [I tried #2 in LR just to see how it looked, didn't post it because people tend not to like you messing with their pics, can show if OP didn't mind]

Go for it thecageyone! When printed they actually came out fine, just the on screen versions look very flat!

Also, no dust on sensor on pic 5, it's actually a bird! slow shutter speed has done this. I should have actually cloned out some bit's and pieces on this image in particular - bird, light poles in centre, red buoy on right.

Pictures were taken at 'The Pink Rock' - Glenmore, Co. Kilkenny (at site of proposed New Ross bypass bridge area - so all this will be lost :( )
    Urban pix are of New Ross, taken from Rosbercon side.

Thanks to all who have commented, a little more criticism will help me!:D

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Number 2 for me. Are you using a star filter on the lights ? Slight sensor dirt (UFO)on number 5
    Canon 7D, nice camera

Thanks, no star filter, just F22 with 30 second exposure 18mm lens on the 7D.
    (see other post above re sensor dirt/ bird!)

• Advertisement

DK32 wrote: »
    #2 & #4 - Love them!
    #3 It's just too grey for me. Like the sky though. What was it like in colour?
    No 3 was shot (in RAW) with an IR 720 filter, which is in effect a very dark red ND filter, resulting in very long exposures
    40 sec at F5.6 ISO100.
    This gave me a lot of movement in the sky, to add in the dramatic effect.
    However, these filters result in this below - screenshot from RAW editor in CS4

4437371783_34770fd150_b.jpg

So they need a good bit of PP :D

Ok, here's what I personally would have done to boost them a little, it works for me but some might not like the processing - A little kick up on the black levels, exposure and fill light. Nothing more:

VDYVPsa3.jpeg

AG7MFmP7.jpeg

Advertisement