Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving - Great Barrier Reef Suggestions

Options
  • 16-03-2010 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am planning on heading to the Great Barrier Reef/ Whitsundays this weekend and I intend on doing some diving. I have my PADI. As I am on a budget I would like to do it as cheap as possible. I intend on diving for 1 day, possibly 2 dives.

Do any of you know of the best way to do this? Any cheap dive companies? The cheapest I can find on the net is 240 AUD.

Also, do you think I need to book in advance or could I possible book on day 1 and dive on day 2?

Is Whitsundays the best place to dive if I do not want to travel the whole way up to Cairns?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Walrus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think I'll just go to Cairns to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 StayDown

When I was over there I remember a lot of boats went on tours to the Barrier Reef from Cairns. A dive was about $75 for the first dive and $35 for the second and they were in different locations.

Also there were cruises going out to the Whitsundays from Airle Beach and they varied in price from $50 upwards,

Remember the dives were not included in the cruise/trip price, you paid for the dives on the boat on the day or when the cruise/trip finished.

If I was you I'd wait till you get over there and shop around - when I was there there were crazy cheap package trip/cruise dive offers.

Most people I met liked The Whitsundays for diving as they got to see turtles.

I spent most of the time snorkeling and I loved it :D

If your going during the the Oz winter then you will to pick up a bargain - but be sure to shop around.

By the way try and go to Cape Tribulation - it's a bit further up past Cairns but the sunsets are some of the most beautful i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

StayDown wrote: »
    When I was over there I remember a lot of boats went on tours to the Barrier Reef from Cairns. A dive was about $75 for the first dive and $35 for the second and they were in different locations.

Also there were cruises going out to the Whitsundays from Airle Beach and they varied in price from $50 upwards,

Remember the dives were not included in the cruise/trip price, you paid for the dives on the boat on the day or when the cruise/trip finished.

If I was you I'd wait till you get over there and shop around - when I was there there were crazy cheap package trip/cruise dive offers.

Most people I met liked The Whitsundays for diving as they got to see turtles.

I spent most of the time snorkeling and I loved it :D

If your going during the the Oz winter then you will to pick up a bargain - but be sure to shop around.

By the way try and go to Cape Tribulation - it's a bit further up past Cairns but the sunsets are some of the most beautful i've ever seen.

Thanks for the advice StayDown. Think I might wait until I get there to try to pick up a cheap deal.

Walrus

Advertisement