Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help wanting to move to Galway!

Options
  • 16-03-2010 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My husband and i want to move to a town outside Galway city but within about 25 miles.

We have 6 children and need advice on what areas are good for families.

Have teenagers and younger kids,somewhere they can become part of the community.

I am disabled so the schools need to be nearby or there is a bus they can take.

Also what are the prices like to rent a 4/5 bed house,bungalow?

We live in England at the moment and are fed up and want a move this summer.

thanks in advance
    xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hi, I'm living in Loughrea which is about a half hour east of Galway, lots of families in the town, good playgrounds, lakeside parks, and good clubs and things as well. Plenty of school buses as well, although I'm not sure if they pick up/collect in town. I'm paying 500 euro a month for a 4 bed house here which is pretty good I think. Other places that would be worth checking out are Oranmore (much closer to Galway), Athenry (just off the motorway and closer to Galway) and Moycullen (other side of Galway, closer to Connemara etc).

Check out www.daft.ie for rent prices and http://www.countygalway.com/galway_map.htm to give you a better idea of the layout of the towns and that

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I`d suggest Athenry,
    Its got the motorway access to Galway/Dublin. 15mins to Galway and 1hr40 to Dublin.
    Rents are around €500/600 and you can negotiate great deals, there are 3 secondary schools, 3 primary schools all within walking distance of each other, Disabled access is grand no high rise anything really..
    There`s a train station in the town with very regular services, more routes coming online soon.
    There`s Athletics, tennis, boxing, bingo, poolhall, playground, heritage centre,golf,soccer,drama,pubs,cafes,restaurants, and all the usual stuff... Catering for a fairly mixed age population
    more here.. http://www.athenry.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oranmoregal

Oranmore has schools and a good community. Buses bring them in from the surrounding areas depending on where you are. In the village, the access in and out of shops is ok, I wouldn't call it great for disabled, but it is reasonable. You can get into the library for example easily.

But Athenry is good in that has both motorway and train service (train pricey though!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tuamlad banned and posts removed as to not mess up thread.

I suggest Oranmore or Athenry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 miss polly

I would suggest Oughterard! Your kids would be part of the community as soon as they start school here! If you are living in the town then the schools are within walking distance and if you are outside the town then there are school buses!
    A five bedroom house just outside the town (would be about a 7-10 min walk) is €750 a month which is not too bad and the school bus would pick up at top of road (2min walk).

There is one secondary school and one primary school and there is playschools and creches and loads of clubs for the kids to join.

I would suggest you check out http://www.daft.ie until you find a house you like then look up the town its in!

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

I moved from Dublin to Galway 2 years ago, and after an awful lot of research decided on Headford. It is a very well serviced town, with a few primary schools (with disabled access) as well as a very big secondary school.

There are a lot of houses to rent in the area. We bought so can't help you with prices, but presume most of Galway county is similar enough. daft . ie website will give you an idea of rents, although with current climate there is usually a bit of wriggle room too.

Headford is a pretty self sufficient town about 25km North of Galway. It has two supermarkets, a number of pubs, a hotel, florist, a few different take aways, solicitors, cafe, hairdressers, local market, creche,...etc. etc.

It is situated on the N84 going to Castlebar, and is about 2 miles from the shores of Lough Corrib.

After 2 years here I would honestly say I don't think there isn't a nicer place in Ireland. But before making such a big move, I'd suggest paying a visit for a few days and getting a feel for the place - different folks have different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Athenry. Good access to the city via the motorway, along with the train service. Decent schools, nice park, all the major neccessities you can get in town. Lots of history there. A good family town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement